Start by marking “Finding Faith” as Want to Read:
Finding Faith

Finding Faith

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  215 ratings  ·  51 reviews
Kit Matthews tries to avoid thinking about God - and her unknown birth mother - altogether. She loves her family and is content with her life in California. That is, until her parents decide to move to Utah, the land of Mormons. New surroundings and culture shock do nothing to help Kit's social life. It is only with the help of Janet, a new friend, that Kit begins to adjus ...more
Published November 1st 2007 by Bonneville Books

To ask other readers questions about Finding Faith, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finding Faith

Terri
Oct 17, 2008 Terri rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
I loved this book! Of course, I also wrote this book! There is a wee bit of repetitive rambling in it, but that's just my nature showing through! Read it, enjoy it, and then read the sequel, Having Hope, in April 2009.
Patricia
Hmm. What to say?

Rating 2.5

This was a very slow-paced story, with a lot of attention to day-to-day details. Some parts of the story are written as journal entires but the pace of the story and the detail level are also about like day-to-day journal entries. That can be good and that can be bad. I struggled with it, particularly initially. I kept waiting for something to happen or for important details to stand out so I could see where the story was headed, until realized all that WAS the story
Aliza
I have to admit that this was a nice, simple story. Very specific on the doctrine of the church and very detail oriented.

I did have a few issues with how the book was written. The characters were all a little bland. Everyone asked multiple questions, which I find quite annoying. Most people that are having a conversation ask a question and wait for the answer. Yes, it was said that Janet's family all asked multiple questions, but Kit's family did it too as well as almost everyone Kit talks to in
Heidi
I find it interesting how much this book speaks to me in terms of character, setting, and plot. Maybe it's because I've grown up in Mormon-dominated Utah myself and been surrounded by others of my faith pretty much my whole life. Kit's experiences as a so-called outsider were somewhat eye-opening. There is an unfortunate tendency in a culture dominated by one religion or one way of thinking to exclude outsiders but at the same time Mormons can be very welcoming as well. I was happy to see this i ...more
Lexie
This was actually the second time I had read Finding Faith and I liked it even better this time!

My favorite part of this book is its inspirational theme. I thought Kit's conversion story was extremely well written and realistically portrayed. I find that too many LDS books use "sudden" conversions as the easy way to explain someone's faith. But this seems completely unrealistic to me. I believe that most converts, like Kit, have to struggle and work to grow and develop a testimony and that it do
Kathryn
Teri
Aug 23, 2008 Teri rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
This first time author has done an excellent job of telling the story of a young almost 18 year old young lady that moves with her family from Ventura, California to Logan, Utah, where Kit's dad gets a job teaching at USU. Kit finds it hard fitting in with the "Mormon populace", but soon finds true friends with Janet and Adam, strong young stalwarts of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. When Adam leaves for Ventura to serve a 2 year Mission, Kit doesn't know if she can survive with ...more
Kimberly
This book was a nice easy read. You find yourself caring about the characters including the whole Bridger family and you end up feeling like you're a regular friend of the family. Nothing out of the ordinary happens, it's a regular book about regular people, but you feel as though you know all of the characters personally in your own life.
Amanda Hunsaker
2.5 stars: it was an okay read. It was easy. The relationships seemed rushed to me.
Emmeli
This book was so sad for me and it made me think of my best friend and if anything happened to her, i would cry myself to sleep everynight. I cryed like a baby just thinking about it. Even though the charecters don't even exist it seemed like i did and i wanted to talk to Kit. haha aint i weird?? I have never read a book having it me in first person and i really liked it because it makes you understand the character more and her personallity then it does 3 person. Beth--thanks for telling me abo ...more
Valerie
Here is why I gave it a 3. I really felt like this book was good in the beginning, but became very long and drawn out, to the point that I was hoping it would end soon. If a book does that to you, the author has written too many words and said too little in those words. I appreciate the fact that there was conflict of finding faith for the main character. It wasn't so much that it took her forever to find it, it was the fact that the story line kept me uninterested after so long. I will still gi ...more
Nasi
I thought this was a really good book, it kept me interested and i actually set my own record for the fastest time i have EVER read a book in, i read this book and 1 day and for me that amazing. im actually wondering if there is a second book to this one, i wont to find out more about what happen's to Claire, Kit and Adam and maybe justin they all sound like interesting characters. this book would hit the top 5 charts for mormon movies if it was every made into one. Terri Ferran is an awsome wri ...more
Katie Watkins
This book is told in the first person and for some reason, it really make it more personal for me. I felt like the story was being told to me by a good friend. I think it also helped (for me) that the story took place where I grew up, so it was easy to visualize these places and events. That being said, it's about a girl, Kit, who moved from California to Utah and is suddenly immersed in the LDS culture. I liked how she did things for herself and found things out for herself, not letting anyone ...more
Nicole
This is a surprisingly realistic LDS fiction book. I don't usually read LDS fiction because most of it seems too far-fetched. I'll admit I didn't read the book cover to cover, but flipped through it to get an idea of all the plots and how they worked out. I liked it enough reading that way to follow up with the sequel, Having Hope.
Amber
I enjoyed this author's writing style. She chose to tell the story strictly from the first person, which felt more real. I also felt much more connected to the character in her book than other characters. Perhaps because she was a girl who was noticed for her brains, was tall, and happened to be studying accounting at USU.
Alison
This is in the LDS genre and I would give it a 4 plus (for that genre)! The basic plot was not anything to crazy, but I laughed out loud for the whole first half of the book and cried like a baby through the end. I think the author did a great job of weaving everything together even though the story itself is rather simple.
Heather
This book was kind of predictable, but in a good way. Very LDS novelish, but that's okay...I enjoyed the "shocker" at the end, but I still want to know what happened while she waited for the rest of Adam's mission. Kind of left me hanging...oh, wait. I just realized there IS a sequel. Guess I'll have to read it!
Beth
I just finished it and i luved it! i was a little hesitant to read it cause it looked pretty boring, but it is exciting and ROMANTIC(yes emmeli, and he sounds HOTT!) from the very beginning! I totally recommend it and can't wait to find the next! wheres the nearest library...? :))
Heather
Once i reminded myself this was a youth book I was able to enjoy it a lot more. The dialog in the book is very simple and had the effect of being cheesy instead of real. It did have a twist that I was proud off. But you can't complain to much about an easy read with principles.
Brianna
Mar 10, 2008 Brianna rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Brianna by: my mom!
I LOVED this book!!!! Inspiring, Uplifting, Entertaining, you name it! My mom actually wrote the book so if you want a copy of it signed let me know!!! Seriously though, even if she wasn't my mom I would still love the book! :) REad it to find out what it's about people!
Julia
I'm not much of a reader of LDS fiction, but this was recommended by my RS president...so I read it just to be nice. I actually liked it. It kept me interested (and awake -- which is always a plus). There must be another book coming, because it's pretty open-ended.
Jacqueline
Oct 11, 2008 Jacqueline rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all my friends
Shelves: favorite-books
Oh my gosh such a cute book, i finished it in a day i loved it. But i wasn't to found of the end i men it was good but i like it when they are like they all lived happily ever after and they tell how many kids they had or whatever but other than that is was good.
Sonia Webster
im sooo happy there's finally a book on a missionary !! I'm waiting for one and he's home in three and a half months.. a book on a girls wait and boys (written like the book Flipped) would be awesome... but I do love this book (:
Sunny
This was a great YA book, though adults may also enjoy it. I appreciated the reality of finding one's very own testimony, and how the author included the hard uncertainties, validating those who question.
Kaylynn Johnsen
An okay book. Hmmmm... haven't made it to appealing have I? I guess you'll have to read it an judge for yourself.

After reading KayLynn Mangum's books this does pale in comparison.
Lucy
I really liked the story! I love reading books about ldds teenagers and stuff like that! Also Adam in the book sounds really hot (one of the other reasons I liked it! lol!)
Lisa
Typical LDS fiction, but there were a couple things I didn't expect. Didn't like how things got wrapped up at the end, and how some things weren't completely wrapped up.
Candicelynnelamb
I cried a lot, but maybe I'm just a really emotional person. I wished for a little more romance, but that's what I love. Very quick read, I really loved it though.
Allison
Fun story, and especially good to read from the viewpoint of the "nonmember." I liked the wording that Janet and Adam use to teach Kit about the gospel.
Chanteal
This book was so inspiring. It makes you see our gospel from an investigators point of view. This has become one of my favorites.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Soul Searching
  • When the Bough Breaks
  • Delicious Conversation
  • Time and Eternity
  • The Deep End (Undercurrents, #3)
  • Previously Engaged
  • Hometown Girl (Butterfly Box, #2)
  • Family by Design
  • Midnight Whispers
  • Smart Move
  • High Stakes
  • Reality Check
Having Hope Choosing Charity Life's Alphabet Soup: When Your Children Make You Eat Your Words Choosing Charity