Start by marking “Dead Man's Mirror” as Want to Read:
Dead Man's Mirror

Dead Man's Mirror (Hercule Poirot #18)

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  7,739 Ratings  ·  285 Reviews
Poirot arrives for dinner at the country estate of the imperious Sir Gervase Chevenix-Gore to find his host in his study, shot dead. The room is locked, making it appear a suicide, but Poirot is skeptical. When the will is read, the savvy sleuth's suspicions are heightened.
Mass Market Paperback, 191 pages
Published June 1978 by Dell Publishing Company (first published March 15th 1937)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Man's Mirror, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Man's Mirror

Jason Koivu
Jan 08, 2014 Jason Koivu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
That odd, little foreigner with the strange mustache description Hercule Poirot is at it again!

In Murder in the Mews, a collection of shorts, Poirot's razor-sharp mind is pitted against such stumpers as a suicide/murder conundrum, a deadly love triangle, and a case of important papers gone missing.

Originally four short stories were published under this title, which was called Dead Man's Mirror here in the States. My version only included three stories: Murder in the Mews, Triangle at Rhodes, and The Incre
D.G.
It's taken me a while to get back to my Poirot series audio re-read but I'm finally back in business. However, this one is not a re-read per se, as I haven't read this particular set of short stories before. When you read a long series out of order like I did with Poirot, you miss a book now and then.

Murder in the Mews is actually the first of 4 short stories in this book. The narrator, Mr. Hawthorne was simply awful - his voice for Poirot was so affected. That fact may have colored my perceptio
جوزيف الزيود
لا اعلم ما السر وراء الاسماء المعقدة في روايات اغاثا
Michael
Jan 04, 2015 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christie fans, Mystery fans, bored drivers
Recommended to Michael by: serendipity
Does listening to a book while you drive to California count as "reading" it? It's actually the first time I've done that, but I think it worked better in terms of attentiveness than my usual slow reading rate. I've read a few other Agatha Christie books, and seen movies and BBC productions of dozens of them, and this was the first time I was able to figure out the mystery before the ending In fact, I knew pretty much from the moment they found the body what had happened, which is quite remarkab ...more
Adela Cacovean
Hercule Poirot și inspectorul-șef Japp discută despre noaptea de Guy Fawkes ca o noapte perfectă pentru o crimă datorită artificiilor, astfel încât nimeni nu ar auzi o împușcătură, de exemplu. A doua zi dimineața, Poirot primește un telefon de la Japp și află că o văduvă tânără s-a sinucis la Mews, numărul 14. Ajunși acolo, Poirot și Japp bănuiesc că e mai degrabă o crimă: decedata e împușcată în partea stângă a capului și ține pistolul în mâna dreaptă și nu a lăsat nicio scrisoare de adio.

***

N
Mike Page
These are 4 longer short stories that are all very good. Getting into early 20th century English culture is always fun with Christie.

Since the stories are longer you get a slower development of characters which always helps. But they are still good for one sitting. These are much better than Poirot Investigates (which are shorter and lack the depth needed to really enjoy the unfolding mystery).

The other benefit is Poirot is better without his (imbecilic) sidekick Hastings. By not including him
Angeline
Jul 19, 2016 Angeline rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: booktubeathon
A solid collection of crime mysteries! Such a fast read, which is perfect for the booktubeathon! 1 challenge completed, 5 to go! :)
Kavita
This is an anthology of four short stories.

Murder in the Mews - A woman gets murdered in her home and the main suspect is her fiancé. I give this one five stars. I really enjoyed the atmospheric narrative and the final twist. A great little story.

The Incredible Theft - A number of guests meet at a house party and some important political documents get stolen. There is no murder and I have no interest in the recovery of some vague military plans. Who cares which side wins? One star.

Dead Man’s Mi
Richa
Feb 23, 2015 Richa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book. After reading so many books (62) of Agatha Christie, I really understand why she reacts as Mrs Oliver, in such a way so as to show embarrassment about her work. She seems to play around with a setting which comprises a handful of suspects, all lying and hiding and the most unlikely of them, at the moment, is to be the murderer. It is actually repetitive. She must be thinking of alternative scenarios while writing up for her book. These might be used later when she has to meet a publ ...more
Deepa Swaminathan
“If you are to be Hercule Poirot, you must think of everything.” says Agatha Christie
“If you are to read Agatha Christie, you must not miss anything.” say I.

True to the latter quote, each piece of each short story in this book fitted nicely in proper place like a jigsaw puzzle. Every clue carried importance and every character description enjoyed finesse.
‘Mews’ is a British term that refers to a row of houses. But only the first story deals with a murder at this location. Usually in a book of s
Laurel Young
Mar 07, 2011 Laurel Young rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a little confused because my edition contained four novellas, not three: Murder in the Mews, Triangle at Rhodes, The Incredible Theft, and Dead Man's Mirror. At any rate, all four are top-notch, classic Poirot cases. The "novella" format always strikes me as a tad awkward, falling somewhere between a story and a novel--I thought that Mews and Theft could have been compressed into short stories, whereas Rhodes and Mirror could have been extended into novels. However, as Dame Agatha rarely wro ...more
Nesa Sivagnanam
Jul 26, 2011 Nesa Sivagnanam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Murder in the Mews
Japp asks Poirot to join him at a house in Bardsley Garden Mews where a Mrs. Barbara Allen shot herself the previous evening – Guy Fawkes Night – the moment of death being disguised by the noise of fireworks. Once there they find that the doctor thinks there is something strange about the death of the woman, a young widow. Mrs. Allen was found by a housemate, Miss Jane Plenderleith, who had been away in the country the previous night. The victim was locked in her room and was s
Despair Speaking
What can I say? Agatha Christie's one of my favorite mystery authors, if not authors in general, and Hercule Poirot's one of my favorite characters of all time! He may be boisterous and annoying, but he's worth it! And he DOES care for his friends which is a plus for me!

Dead Man's Mirror focuses on this eccentric man considered to be one of the last baronets. He has been through a lot of adventures over the years and have accumulated a lot of wealth. He suddenly sends a letter to Poirot asking f
Aug 23, 2014 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Agatha Christie really doesn't need a review…She is one of my go-to authors for a reading slump or a palate cleanser. This is a book of four short stories starring Hercule Poirot. Each of them put his little grey cells to the test but of course, no one is a match for Poirot!!
Edward Davies
Mar 02, 2016 Edward Davies rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A murder that isn't a murder, a theft that isn't a theft, a locked room mystery, and a mystery that at first sight seems to be no mystery at all. Christie manages to create four short novellas that each have their own merits, and each is as good as the last.
Andrea
A good, but not great, collection of murder mysteries to pass the time. I think Dead Man's Mirror was the best in the bunch and felt like a classic Poirot story.
Indrani Sen
Mar 08, 2016 Indrani Sen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uk
A regular Agatha Christie. A collection of short stories - this one.
Scott
Apr 05, 2016 Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, cozy
Poirot is back in four short stories (one might be novella length).

Murder in the Mews - A woman gets murdered in her home and there are some nice plot twists - 4 stars.

The Incredible Theft - A house party where political documents get stolen. No murder in this one - 4 stars.

Dead Man’s Mirror - A house party where the host commits suicide. Or was he murdered? - 4 stars.

The Triangle at Rhodes - Poirot is on holiday when someone gets poisoned and it is up to him to pull apart the love triangles and
Amy
Apr 08, 2015 Amy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Four Poirot short stories. One was really good, but the others were a bit meh. Very short, and there wasn't much to sink your teeth into before it was over.
Laura Hughes
May 20, 2016 Laura Hughes rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
A suite of four Hercule Poirot stories. They are all fine, but none of them really stood out to me. The length is somewhat awkward being enough to establish a trick or two, but, for the most part, not really enough to develop characters.

"Murder in the Mews": This one probably has the most twists to "solve." The most interesting (if slightly underdeveloped) part was the character of the dead woman, including the exploration of her pathetically fancy things in her humble shared flat.

"The Incredib
Chitra Iyer
Mar 09, 2016 Chitra Iyer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is time for another Agatha Christie book review. Murder in the Mews is a collection of four short stories, all featuring my most favorite detective Hercule Poirot. So without further ado, let's get down to business.

Murder in The Mews is the name of the first story. Poirot is faced with a murder which appears as a suicide but, is it really? A woman is found dead inside her room, of which the door and window are locked from the inside. But Poirot is sure it isn't what it looks like. The second
da Hanci
Sep 27, 2015 da Hanci rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Those who are following my reviews closely may or may not have noticed that a while ago I read Murder on the Orient Express. That was a fun experience, so I decided to take this book off of my mother's special Agatha Christie shelf and try it.

Honestly? Christie is a wonderful writer. The mysteries are all really easy to get into, despite their being set in different places and full of entirely different characters.

I don't know if this is something I should warn people of, but mild insinuation
Celina
Aug 01, 2015 Celina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is OK, but not breath-taking.
Ini karangan Agatha Cristie yang pertama kali saya baca.

Saya kurang suka aja sama misteri dan cara pemecahannya, kurang brilian dan keren. Apa karena ini karya lama dan bentuknya pendek-pendek makanya kurang WAOW dibandingin sama cerita suspense yang sebuku cuma bahas satu topik kayak karangan Jeffery Deaver atau Jeffrey Archer. Tapi meskipun gitu gak bisa dibikin alasan, menurutku Sir Arthur Conan Doyle dan Sherlock Holmes-nya yang juga pendek-pendek masih
KruemelGizmo
Bei diesem Hercule Poirot Roman von 1937 handelt es sich um eine kleine Sammlung von Kurzgeschichten.

Poirot riecht den Braten
Mrs. Allen wird tot aufgefunden, alles deutet auf einen Selbstmord hin. Hercule Poirot unterstützt Chefinspector Japp bei seinen Ermittlungen und bald ist auch ein Mord nicht mehr auszuschließen und ein Hauptverdächtiger ist auch schnell ausgemacht. Aber ist das die ganze Wahrheit?

Urlaub auf Rhodos
Hercule Poirot macht Urlaub, da er sich von seinen Fällen erholen möchte. R
Jycel
Aug 04, 2014 Jycel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Son 4 historias diferentes y todas interesantes. Siempre disfruto mucho leyendo a Agatha Christie en verano. La reina del crimen nunca decepciona.
Irene Lovebooks
Sep 17, 2014 Irene Lovebooks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leídos-2014
Como dice la sinopsis, el libro se compone de cuatro historias cortas, o relatos en los que el señor Poirot aparece.

El primer relato recibe el mismo nombre que el título de esta obra: Asesinato en Bardsley Mews. Es un relato bastante interesante. En el que el señor Poirot junto con su compañero, aclaran un crimen. Una mujer joven se encuentra hallada muerta en su habitación, puede que no sea un crimen, o sí. Para mí, este es el relato que más me ha gustado, sinceramente. Me ha parecido muy curi
Cindee
May 02, 2014 Cindee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a Inspector Poirot novel made up of four novellas in one and they were Murder in the Mews, The Incredible Theft, Dead Man's Mirror, and Triangle at Rhodes. It was a really fast read because the stories were a lot shorter than a full sized book but because of this, I found that it lacked a lot of development compared to Christie's usual mysteries. The stories went by too fast and seemed to be cut short. They all made sense and all loose ends were tied up nicely but it was just too short, ...more
Hope
Feb 16, 2015 Hope rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Several of Christie's best short stories, in my opinion, but I've always thought her love triangle in Triangle at Rhodes was particularly good and twisty (she used the love-triange plot again for Evil Under the Sun, another Christie favorite of mine) and the main character of Murder in the Mews, Miss Penderleith, is sharp and sympathetic in an interesting way.
Thalia Papadakis
I have an affinity for cozy mysteries. They generally aren't written in pursuit of a spot on the bestseller list (Agatha Christie being the exception); rather, cozies are written to give the reader a sense of comfort and calm (ironically, by way of murder). While I always preferred Poirot to Marple, a book was a book, and from the age of 12 I was unable to leave a Christie mystery unread.

My mom read cozies to escape her three eccentric young daughters and grumpy husband: one daughter, the artist
Kimberly Ann

I found the stories to be odd and can not say I really liked any except the 3rd story.

1. Murder in the Mews: Poirot joins Inspector Japp at the scene of a murder, posed to look as a suicide. Mrs Allen shot herself during a fireworks display and was found the following morning by her roommate, Miss Plenderlieth, in her bedroom behind a locked door.

It seems as though Mrs Allen had a visitor of dubious reputation and was being blackmailed by the man who was seen at the scene of the crime during the
Dialogue in TV adaptation - Anyone else notice? 1 8 Jun 11, 2014 04:32PM
Agatha Christie L...: December 2012 - Murder in the Mews 46 80 Nov 10, 2013 06:48PM
  • The Scoop and Behind the Screen
  • The Life and Times of Hercule Poirot
  • Photo Finish (Roderick Alleyn, #31)
  • Triple Jeopardy (Nero Wolfe, #20)
  • The Scandal of Father Brown (Father Brown, #5)
  • Clouds of Witness (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries, #2)
  • Death of a Ghost (Albert Campion Mystery #6)
  • Duchess of Death: The Unauthorized Biography of Agatha Christie
  • The Riddle of the Third Mile (Inspector Morse, #6)
  • Duplicate Death (Inspector Hemingway Mystery #3)
  • When Last I Died (Mrs. Bradley, #13)

More about Agatha Christie...

Hercule Poirot (1 - 10 of 40 books)
  • The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot, #1)
  • The Murder on the Links (Hercule Poirot, #2)
  • Poirot Investigates (Hercule Poirot, #3)
  • The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #4)
  • The Big Four (Hercule Poirot, #5)
  • The Mystery of the Blue Train (Hercule Poirot, #6)
  • Black Coffee (Hercule Poirot, #7)
  • Peril at End House (Hercule Poirot, #8)
  • Lord Edgware Dies (Hercule Poirot, #9)
  • Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10)

“I think a woman smothered in cheap scent is one of the greatest abominations known to mankind - Lord Mayfield” 6 likes
“A statesman in these days has a difficult task. He has to pursue the policy he deems advantageous to his country, but he has at the same time to recognize the force of popular feeling. Popular feeling is very often sentimental, muddleheaded, and eminently unsound, but it cannot be disregarded for all that.” 4 likes