Start by marking “Evening Star (Star, #1)” as Want to Read:
Evening Star (Star, #1)

Evening Star (Star Quartet #1)

3.81  ·  Rating Details ·  1,366 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Dear Reader:

Evening Star, formerly titled Sweet Surrender, first appeared in 1984. I have not rewritten it, but now this novel is where it belongs --- it's the first book in what has become the Star Quartet. In Midnight Star, the first book in the former Star Trilogy, you met Delaney Saxton in San Francisco in 1851. Evening Star features his older brother Alex Saxton, with
Published May 1st 2001 by Signet (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Evening Star, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Evening Star

Aug 01, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
Giana (short for Georgiana) was sent to visit her Uncle Daniele to learn about the world.
He took her to brothels, to learn the ways of men.
She was put in the Flower Auction, where they auction off, you know, women's virginity.
Alex purchased her for $2000. Which, back in the 1800, that's an insane amount of money.
He wasn't able to get what he "purchased" and it pissed him off.

Fast forward 4 years, and he and Giana meet up again.
She ends up pregnant. In the 1800s.
They pretend to be married.
Things
Slavena
Mar 07, 2011 Slavena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone who likes possesive and delicious heros, pregnant heroines
Steet Surrender aka Evening Star is the first book I have read by Catherine Coulter but won't be the last.

Giana is some silly English chit that comes out of school enamored by a fortune hunter. Her mom is a successful bossiness woman and sees through him right away but cannot convince her daughter that he is only after the family money so she takes drastic measures and sends her off to Italy in the care of her uncle who is to show her another side of life by meeting her with prostitutes. Well th
Noelle
I wish that I would have known that Catherine Coulter's books Evening Star and Sweet Surrender was the same book just a different name and cover, it would have saved me some money. Instead I have both copies. =/

Giana (h) is the daughter of a wealthy woman in England. She has been raised in boarding schools and largely ignored by her mother how is too busy being one of the first women in business in England. This leaves an unloved 17 year old heires ripe for the picking of any gold digger.
She mee
Meg
Sep 21, 2012 Meg rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-sexy
This was a vastly complex and character-filled story. And a bit bizarre. It was a decent story but so much was going on that the many story-lines, characters, etc., made it hard to get overly invested in what was going to happen.

The idea that an uncle could place a young girl in the situation that he does seems very over-the-top. Although it does seem to be a sound way of showing a young, naive girl the truth of the world. It is the ultimate wake-up call but I felt that the uncle did go too far.
Lovetoread
Mar 04, 2014 Lovetoread rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-books
This was the first Catherine Coulter novel I have read. I purchased Evening Star because it was a book selected by many romance readers as their favorite romance re-read. This book was originally published in 1984 under the name Sweet Savage.

Giana Van Cleve, an innocent 17 years old, has fallen in love with a vicious fortune hunter. Her mother, the renowned shipowner and builder Aurora Van Cleve, is desperate to save her daughter. She agrees to support Giana's wedding if Giana agrees to first s
Diana
Mar 01, 2009 Diana rated it liked it
Monique
Mar 12, 2014 Monique rated it it was ok
I picked this book up erroneously thinking that it was a mystery - it's not, it's a romance novel. I pretty much figured how it would end about 1/2 way through, but continued reading hoping it would prove me wrong. It didn't. The story line is interesting, if a bit unbelievable because it's suppose to take place in the mid to late 1800's. There is a lot of gratuitous sex which I understand is one of the reasons for romance novels. I liked the author's style of writing and would be willing to rea ...more
Bookabulary
Feb 04, 2015 Bookabulary rated it it was ok
I used to enjoy some CC books in the past but this book just failed to entertain me in the level that I was expecting. The trope was something I couldn't feel comfortable reading although I still managed to trudge on to finish the book. I also failed to really feel connected with the main characters. I guess Gianna and Alex's main story was okay but in the overall scheme of things but I just felt there were too many parts that quite dragged for me.
Joni
Sep 28, 2016 Joni rated it liked it
3 1/2 stars, in order to convince Gina not to marry her gold digging boyfriend her mother sends her off to spend the summer with her Uncle in Rome. It was a crazy summer for Giana and she was introduced to things that would be considered criminal in this day and age. She meets Alex when she was getting "auctioned off" and disappears on him which makes him very unhappy. Fast forward 4 years and the come face to face during a business meeting. The story was entertaining.
Brianna Elsass
Apr 21, 2013 Brianna Elsass rated it liked it
Shelves: fun-light-reads
Interesting story about a young girl growing up to learn the challenges of the husband/wife relationship in the 1800s while also balancing the issues of running her own life as an independent business partner. By duping an American business man during her unconventional education into male/female relationships she starts herself on a path which will impact the rest of her life.
Luckngrace
Sep 23, 2010 Luckngrace rated it really liked it
You wouldn't think you'd learn much from a romance, but I had great fun learning about 19th century life in the bawdy house, written in terms not sleazy, but rather funny. Coulter's books were a much-needed balm in a time of mourning my dear husband's death. I could only stomach these sweet stories and read a bunch of them during this time.
Cleo
Sep 06, 2012 Cleo rated it really liked it
I might give it 5 stars - but a book has to be truly amazing for me to say that. This was an entirely delightful book. Historical fiction with emphasis on fiction - the development of the characters is fun to watch - maybe like the Jeffery Archer books or even Gone with the Wind.
However there is more explicit sex sections than were needed to make the point. Just a warning.
Diane Wachter
Evening Star, Star Series Bk 1, Catherine Coulter, PB-B @ 1984, 7/06. Giana VanCleve has fallen for a fortune hunter, her mother, desparate to save Giana, sends her to her uncle in Italy to learn about wives and prostitutes. All goes awry and Giana is sold in a virgin auction. Not great.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Brothels, sexual auctions, sexual submission implied and revenge, are we sure Ms. Coulter isn't a closet BDSM writer? I read these books out of order and they can be. Gina is okay and Alex is a bit odd.
Suziep11
Jun 21, 2010 Suziep11 rated it really liked it
Historical Romance that takes place in the 1800's. This story takes place in Europe, England and America dealing with a women who was auctioned off in a brothel and the man the bought her and lost her and will not stop until he can find her. Great story and great characters.
4.8 on a 5.0 scale
Sep 20, 2011 Sarah rated it liked it
do not really enjoy these types of books but a trusted friend insisted. better than danielle steel but still a far stretch from my usual literary fiction. overall not that bad and a quick read for me.
Linda
Sep 15, 2015 Linda rated it really liked it
A solid romance novel - I enjoyed the overlapping yet shifting settings of the story as well as how Gianna's love interests are introduced and reintroduced to her (I was unable to see how the reintroduction would happen until it did). I'll be reading more in the series.
Robin R
Feb 24, 2011 Robin R rated it really liked it
Well I couldn't put it down. Different from other romantic novels I have read recently. I do like Catherine Coulter's way she spins a story; she keeps you interested.
Betty Davis
Mar 03, 2015 Betty Davis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
it was a long time ago but I remember I loved it
Pam
Oct 11, 2009 Pam rated it did not like it
I didn't care for this book. I didn't like the man taking her to a brothel at all to observe!!!!! YUCK!
Anya Kelly
Oct 01, 2011 Anya Kelly rated it it was amazing
This is a book I keep thinking about long after I've read it. Catherine Coulter always offers an interesting story!
Alisha
Sep 24, 2015 Alisha rated it really liked it
3.85
Lesli
May 27, 2013 Lesli rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, 1996
Good not great. Fairly typical historical romance.
Kerry Khoo
Aug 22, 2012 Kerry Khoo rated it really liked it
A great book to read
Raďoušek
Ze začátku to bylo hodně divné, nějak mi neseděla doba, do které to bylo zasazeno vzhledem k chování postav ???!!!
Kate
Feb 28, 2010 Kate rated it liked it
This is certainly a competent enough romance, but I didn't really like the beginning -- it's unusual to have a broken *girl* in these books, but I'm not sure I wanted to watch her getting that way.
Carol Anderson
Recommends it for: anyone
Good material.
Lesley
Jul 24, 2010 Lesley rated it really liked it
Love Catherine Coulter's romances!
Lisa
Jul 06, 2009 Lisa rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I've read in a long time. Strong characters, and an original story line. Absolutely adored the hero.
The things Alex says to her after she..... 1 7 Apr 30, 2012 06:33AM
  • Edin's Embrace
  • Impulse
  • Lie Down In Roses
  • Stormfire
  • Night Wind's Woman (Santa Fe Trilogy, #1)
  • Enslaved
  • Fair is the Rose
  • Dream Fever
  • Paradise Wild
  • Sweet Everlasting
  • Wicked Loving Lies (Brandon-Morgan #6)
  • Wild Bells to the Wild Sky
  • Vanity (V, #7)
  • Dark Wager
  • Royal Passion (Royal, #2)
  • Sweet Savage Heart
  • Escape Not My Love
  • The Enchanted Land

Star Quartet (4 books)
  • Midnight Star (Star, #2)
  • Wild Star (Star, #3)