Start by marking “Veeps” as Want to Read:
Veeps

Veeps

It's a tired but true clichE that every American Vice President is just a heartbeat away from the most powerful job in the world -- a job they've often never really interviewed for. Who are these people? Over more than 200 years, the American voters have sent a platoon of rogues, cowards, drunks, featherweights, doddering geriatrics, bigots, and atrocious spellers to ...more
Published November 1st 2008 by Top Shelf Productions (first published October 29th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Veeps, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Veeps

Paul
Dec 14, 2008 Paul rated it really liked it
This book gave me mood swings. If you would have snuck up on me, during my reading, you might have found me chuckling at the inanity of veep after veep who was woefully unqualified to hold any government position, let alone be one heartbeat away from the presidency.

Or you might have found me weeping at...well, pretty much the same thing.

You might have even have found me in shock over how Sarah Palin probably WOULDN'T have been the Worst Vice-President Of All Time.

Or you might have found me sa
Jeffrey
Mar 26, 2009 Jeffrey rated it it was amazing
I have to admit if it wasn't published by TopShelf, I may never have picked this book up. I've never really been interested in politics, and the prospect of Palin being VP certainly didn't encourage me to want to learn more about others who had held the post.
I finally started reading this book, and I LOVE it. It's informative - mixing some interesting trivia with history, as well as inadvertently teaching more about the US government and its processes than I would've expected. It's also very fun
Dan
Jun 11, 2016 Dan rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016
I would have rated this higher if it weren't marketed as a humor book. It's condescending rather than funny. The title made me laugh, as did one line from the authors. The quotations of the veeps and their contemporaries were hysterical, though. If it had been marketed as a trivia book with funny quotes, it would have worked better.
Michael
Feb 16, 2009 Michael rated it liked it
Interesting book for the history geek. Only problem was the obvious political views of the authors kept coming through.
Nicholas Whyte
"http://nwhyte.livejournal.com/1272485.html[return][return]A book of simple facts about the 46 men who have served as vice-president of the USA, nicely produced by comics publishers Top Shelf Productions. I have a feeling that a lot of it is taken from Steve Tally's Bland Ambition, but the authors have been decent enough to provide extensive bibliographies on each. For extra value they add some late twentieth-century also-rans (Curtis LeMay, Thomas Eagleton, Geraldine Ferraro and Admiral James S ...more
Steven
Feb 24, 2009 Steven rated it liked it
Shelves: history, humor
This introduction on Boing Boing brought my attention to this very funny look at the second-most powerful and topmost boring job our nation -- Vice President of the United States

It's a quick read -- three or four pages on most of the veeps, with fun facts and humorous stories about each. I found the descriptions of the often rancorous relationships between the President and the also-rans the most interesting -- relationships which ran from indifference to outright hostility. This book also highl
Gedvondur
Mar 14, 2016 Gedvondur rated it it was ok
It's a collection of various facts about the Vice Presidents of the United States. Unsatisfying, they often do not follow through with the ultimate fate of any given VP, unless he dies in an interesting manner.

The book is written in a jarring style, both historian-proper and Buzzfeed style hype. Honestly, it took a good subject and then mostly failed in delivering. The authors spent too much time being trying to be snarky and clever and too little time on the men. There was a constant whip-saw
Zachary
Apr 25, 2009 Zachary rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: buckets of warm piss
Shelves: 2009
An illustrated guide to the US Vice Presidents is truly right up my alley. I work in a used bookstore and I happily paid full price for this new. The entries are short but fun. Each VP gets a few lines of bio followed by points of trivia. If you know anything at all about the history of the Vice Presidency, you'll not be shocked at the general wackiness of many holders of the position. I know I'm in a small minority here, but I think I would have liked the book even more if it had been less ...more
Tyler Hill
Jun 17, 2010 Tyler Hill rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2010
This book made me feel better about the current state of American politics by reminding me that things have always been sort of an ongoing trainwreck when it comes to the men who have been chosen to run this country, and specifically their second-in-commands.

Veeps is a very funny book looking at the misfit gallery which makes up America's chain of Vice Presidents. Who are, apparently, a line-up of misfits, rogues, criminals and dunces of the highest calibur.

Funny stuff, only slightly tarnished
Derek
Dec 14, 2013 Derek rated it really liked it
This is a fascinating, albeit brief, overview of all the men who ever filled the role of US Vice President. It's written in a dry, humorous style, and encapsulates the lives and careers of each VP, including humorous quotations and "fast facts."

It's very well-written, and there are sources in the back if you want to read more on the materials presented.

More than anything though, it shows that, until recently, VP was a job that no one really WANTED, and many wished they had never accepted!

Recom
El_kiablo
Aug 10, 2016 El_kiablo rated it liked it
This book was clearly designed to be a bathroom reader style book, with each chapter being pretty short and focusing almost exclusively on funny anecdotes. To that end I would say that it's well executed since I could see this being entertaining spread out over a lot of little bursts, since all the chapters are the right size and there's no consistent throughline that you have to remember. I've seen funnier bathroom books, but this was perfectly fine.
Oct 18, 2009 Sarah rated it really liked it
Not exactly a graphic novel, considering it came from Top Shelf, but more of a humorous historical fact book. There were illustrations, just not on every page. The book came out in 2007 or 2008, so recent enough that Hillary Clinton was still in the race and had Geraldine Ferraro working for her, but not recent enough to feature Sarah Palin in the also-ran section, unfortunately.
Joe
Jun 03, 2010 Joe rated it really liked it
A really good book; fun, funny and engaging. It's not so much scholarly as good anecdotes and hilarious asides (as suggested by the subtitle: "Profiles in Insignificance.") The Dan Quayle section is priceless, as you might expect.
Keith Davis
Oct 23, 2010 Keith Davis rated it really liked it
Subtitled "Profiles in Insignificance," this book consists of short profiles of the party apparatchiks, back-room manipulators, geriatric politicians, seat-fillers, and general incompetents who have held the most crucial and least influential office in American government.
The Cute Little Brown-haired girl
MY BROTHER WROTE THIS!!!! IT'S AN ELECTION YEAR. YOU NEED THIS BOOK ABOUT ALL THE VICE PRESIDENTS IN HISTORY AND ALL THE FUNNY, STRANGE AND WEIRD STUFF THEY DID, SAID, AND WERE INVOLVED IN. YA GOTTA LOVE IT!
Ryan Haupt
Mar 28, 2010 Ryan Haupt rated it really liked it
A great read for the trivia buff in your life. Sometimes the writing, which has to be succinct, loses some context and becomes ambiguous. Regardless, a tone of fun and facts in a handsome little package.
Stefan
Dec 20, 2014 Stefan rated it really liked it
Shelves: pop-history
Pretty funny little book spanning the not so illustrious history of the men who stood a heartbeat away from the Presidency. Sometimes we get TR and Truman, other times we get John Tyler and Andrew Johnson.
Chip Supanich
Aug 02, 2011 Chip Supanich rated it liked it
A really funny brief history of the much maligned and frequently controversial office of Vice President of the United States. An easy entertaining read, and I learned some interesting trivia along the way.
Norman McLaughlin
Found it entertaining

It's funny to think about what what people held the aledged second highest office in the land and at times how little thought often went into selecting a possible President of the United States.
Elizabeth
Haven't touched this in more than six months, so it's back to the 'To Read' list. What I did read was funny, anjoyable, and disheartening.
Jimi
Jan 16, 2009 Jimi rated it it was amazing
Amazingly entertaining book. A must for History buffs, fans of cartooning and humor. I loved this one and had trouble putting it down.
Nancy
Aug 16, 2009 Nancy rated it liked it
Shelves: politics
A great way to learn a little bit about our history along with history details that you may not be familiar to you.
Claudia
Oct 11, 2013 Claudia rated it liked it
Thought it very interesting and amusing, but disappointed by the abundance of lower quality sources.
Meril
Aug 31, 2014 Meril rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction, e
Interesting (and funny) book, but inadequately footnoted. Also, using Wikipedia as source material makes it a bit, um, suspect.
John Buerk
Aug 31, 2011 John Buerk rated it it was ok
It is a very interesting read until you get into the later "veeps". This is when the author shows his liberal bias.
Meg
Meg rated it liked it
Dec 08, 2011
Cody
Cody rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2010
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2012
John H. Brooke
John H. Brooke rated it liked it
Dec 01, 2015
Gaygeek
Gaygeek rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Cancel Your Own Goddam Subscription: Notes and Asides from National Review
  • Coolidge: An American Enigma
  • The True Patriot
  • One Man's America: The Pleasures and Provocations of Our Singular Nation
  • Reflections on a Marine Venus: A Companion to the Landscape of Rhodes
  • Magic Words: The Extraordinary Life of Alan Moore
  • Capitol Men: The Epic Story of Reconstruction Through the Lives of the First Black Congressmen
  • Black Sun: The Brief Transit and Violent Eclipse of Harry Crosby