Start by marking “The Happy Hocky Family” as Want to Read:
The Happy Hocky Family

The Happy Hocky Family (The Happy Hocky Family)

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  445 ratings  ·  82 reviews
This is a book about the Hocky family. In this book you will read stories about them and tubas, airplanes, balloons, skateboards, birthdays, boats, chores, dishes, naps, ants, toys, and cousin Stinky.
Published September 1st 1996 by Puffin (first published September 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Happy Hocky Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Happy Hocky Family

Fishing Into Potato Salad by Othen Donald Dale CummingsFetch by Adam Glendon SidwellTurtle Wish by Murielle CyrWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakAlexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst
Boy Friendly Picture Books
150th out of 164 books — 72 voters
When Marnie Was There by Joan G. RobinsonJane-Emily by Patricia ClappMarianne Dreams by Catherine StorrThursday's Child by Noel StreatfeildThe House of Arden by E. Nesbit
Obscure Children's Vintage Gems
118th out of 223 books — 22 voters

More lists with this book...

Richard
I read this book. Did you read this book? It made me very happy.
Emily
This book is so special, I just had to create a whole new shelf for it.

We passed through Niantic today, had lots of store credit to burn at the Book Barn, and two small boys eating too many free donuts (the small "chocolate" coated ones that taste like wax). It was time to go, but I spotted this, vaguely remembered reading it in the 90s and finding it funny, grabbed it and got us out of there. Later at home, with the boys asleep, I had the chance to look over my purchases more leisurely and rere
Monica Edinger
Seems to me parody is most successful when the audience knows the object being parodied. My students know their early readers so this book is hilarious for them.
Kathy
"Grandma smells like flowers. Lots and lots of flowers."

"Toys? What is toys?"
Treasa
Meet the Hocky Family! There are 6 of them in all - Mr, Mrs, Henry, Holly, Baby, and Newton. They are a pretty normal family with chores to do and trips to the zoo and toys to play with. And even when things go wrong in this family, everyone manages to stay happy!

I found this book oddly amusing, but I don't think I could ever read it to a child. The humor seems a little grown-up for most young children. They might find parts of it funny, but some parts are just too morbid or sophisticated to ent
Tess
This book changed the way I speak English.

Find it. Read it out loud to as many people as will let you. Take public transportation and read it to commuters.

It is my favorite kids book ever.
Jessica
this made me snort and have to cross my legs from not peeing laughing, maybe it was just the right moment- nope it was that funny.
Karen
I love this book so much, I can't believe I haven't reviewed it until now. Making up for that oversight right now.

I have owned this book since 1993, when I was unmarried and not even thinking about having kids or becoming a children's librarian. I bought several copies of this book and gave them out to my adult friends as gifts. About half of my friends thought the book was great; the other half just thought I was really weird.

I love every little vignette in this book, but my absolute favorite
Heika
Nov 16, 2008 Heika rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Heika by: Mandie
This is the funniest little kids book. I laugh so hard everytime I read it.
Annie
ok, so maybe this is the best book i've ever read.
Matt Anderson
Humorous. Contemplative. Perfect.

This book chronicles the various misadventures of a family as they try to come to terms with the challenges of everyday life. It also shows how these struggles can sometimes bring them closer together as a family, while at other times it places them at odds with each other.
Mary
A very humorous parody of the Dick and Jane early readers. Well paced visual jokes/stories play well with Lane's flat illustrations and dead-pan text. "Skateboard" and "The Zoo" are especially appreciated by readers who enjoy slightly dark picture books.
Megan
Perfect book for Dad to read to the kidlets. Dads will love the sense of humor and might want to read this book to them every night, thus freeing up mom for chocolate and magazine time. Buy this book for dad!
This is one of my al time favorite kid's books! It is especially fun for the adult reader. I need to pick up a few more copies to give as gifts. It always makes me giggle!
Megan
What a delightfully odd book. Not a favorite, but it was fun and weird.
Dawn
So much fun. My kids loved it.
Ian
A style that's as unique as it is, charming. Fun little read.
Beth

This is one of those books you just have to read to understand the experience. This story isn't necessarily a story, but more like a series of different vignettes on each page. Each vignette is either interactive in some way or asks kids to make some inferences or ask questions of what's going on in the scene. It's one of those books that teachers can read aloud and undoubtedly kids will be picking the book back up to dig deeper into the subtler aspects of the story and illustrations.
Amar Pai
Repetitive, but half-way through I realized it's all jokes. They're not the funniest jokes in the world but they're pitched at adults more than kids, and I was in the right mood for it. Sample joke: kid is responsible for ants, they want 'air', kid opens the 'window' letting the ants out, ruins the new kitchen, which is presented as a learn-to-read type deal-- "SEE the new kitchen. SHINY. NEW. SEE it" etc etc with ants crawling everywhere. I guess you had to be there
Arminzerella
Funny, but not as funny as I was led to believe. I had high expectations. It has some good moments. This is like Dick and Jane, but snarky.

Excerpt:

Chores: Quiz #1
Today was Holly's day to do the laundry. See if you can match the pocket items before and after the dryer. [before items include a crayon, dime, penny, army figure, piece of candy, ticket, piece of gum] [after items include a penny, a dime, and several indistinct blackish blobs]
Sarah B.
This is a sarcastic book in the style of Dick and Jane. The illustrations are lushly retro, and the story is quite clever. But young children will not understand the humour, so I wouldn't say it is appropriate to read aloud to a child, unless you're willing to stop and explain each joke. It's definitely aimed at adults, probably especially those who had to toil through Dick and Jane-style readers when they were young. Cute, but not worth it.
Janelle
Jan 27, 2008 Janelle rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone - especially if you need a good laugh
Recommended to Janelle by: the speaker at Mount Hermon's Ponderosa Camp
Shelves: children, humor
Vicki
Kinda twisted humor for a children's picture book! I don't know whether children would get it; let's just say that I read it with a couple of parent volunteers in the school library and we were in stitches! It's a little "Dick and Jane" with a liberal dose of the real world. I guess you could say that it teaches you to have a positive attitude in the end.
Heidi
Not what I expected, but I enjoyed the laughs. Text-wise, this could go for an early reader. That age may or may not get the humor, depending on if they take time to think of what they read as well as look at the illustrations. Enjoyable. I still think a good choice for "a family book" to have out for "Things You Love" storytime, even if I don't read it.
Carol Pardon
twisted and funny. my 2 favorite things! just my kind of kid book!
Tara
Not really for kids AND that's the best part! A hilariously wacky, sarcastic take on old fashioned primers. I bought this with the notion of reading it to my kids when they were old enough to appreciate it. Found it hiding on the bookshelf the other day. The 8th grader finds it as funny as I do! Joy!
Jeremiah
This may be the most bizzare and hilarious children't books I've ever read. My wonderful wife introduced it to me and we read it together on occasion just to laugh out loud. I should note that the reader has to be a little weird already or you'll probably dislike the book altogether.
Mari
I love this one. I was a new librarian not long aftr it came out and I LOVED sharing it with elementary school age kids, 1st grade and up. One of my favorite things about it was that I could show older kids that there are picture books for them, not just for preschool aged kiddos.
Andrea
I was expecting more of a continuous story about the Hocky family in all their happiness. Instead it is similar to Dick and Jane with multiple super short stories. Maybe a beginning reader would find them more enjoyable but for story time or bedtime, it was just ok.
Kwoomac
A typical children's early reader, much like dick and jane, but with a twist. Balloons pop, pets get eaten by crocodiles, birthdays are disappointing, and the whole family hides when relatives pop in. I'm not sure an actual child would find this funny, but who cares !
  • Cowboy and Octopus
  • Ugly Fish
  • Big Plans
  • Brief Thief
  • The Way Back Home (The Boy, #3)
  • Once Upon a Time, the End (Asleep in 60 Seconds)
  • Princess Hyacinth: The Surprising Tale of a Girl Who Floated
  • The Odd One Out
  • Watch Me Throw the Ball!
  • Dog and Bear: Two Friends, Three Stories
  • Betty Bunny Didn't Do It
  • Anno's Journey
  • Naked!
  • Snowbear Whittington: An Appalachian Beauty and the Beast
Smith was born in Tulsa, Oklahoma, but moved to Corona, California at a young age. He spent summers in Tulsa, however, and cites experiences there as inspirations for his work, saying that "[o]nce you've seen a 100-foot cement buffalo on top of a donut-stand (sic) in the middle of nowhere, you're never the same."

He studied art in college at the encouragement of his high school art teacher, helping
More about Lane Smith...

The Happy Hocky Family (2 books)
  • The Happy Hocky Family Moves to the Country
It's a Book Grandpa Green John, Paul, George & Ben Abe Lincoln's Dream Madam President