Start by marking “Toward a Meaningful Life, New Edition: The Wisdom of the Rebbe Menachem Mendel Schneerson” as Want to Read:

With a new foreword and chapter that address the upheaval that followed the events of September 11, Toward a Meaningful Life is a spiritual road map for living based on the teachings of one of the foremost religious leaders of our time: Rabbi Menachem Mendel Schneerson. Head of the Lubavitcher movement for forty-four years and recognized throughout the world simply as "the ...more
Published November 2nd 2004 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published September 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Toward a Meaningful Life, New Edition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Toward a Meaningful Life, New Edition

Marisabel Bonet-Cruz
Jul 10, 2012 Marisabel Bonet-Cruz rated it it was amazing
You never forget the book you were reading when your Mother passes away. This is mine. It allowed me to cry, to hurt, and to find peace, even if these were not the original reasons why I bought the book.

Indeed, I did not buy this book in order to reflect on her passing. I bought it because The Rebbe is one of those spiritual leaders that inspire me, and allow me to get closer to G-d. I bought it because it is a book about G-d, a topic I enjoy studying, and because it is a book written by a Jew
Lauren
Oct 30, 2007 Lauren rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: always-reading
It's as universal as books by the Dalai Lama, Tich Nhat Hahn or the Tao Te Ching.
Char
Jun 15, 2012 Char rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
I have read this book several times since it first came out. I try to read it at least once or twice a year. Whatever your religious background is, this book can speak to many people on a variety of levels.
Yaakov Bernadyn
Sep 26, 2015 Yaakov Bernadyn rated it really liked it
The advice in this book is practical and pragmatic. I'm not sure you would need to be a rabbi to say or hear it from one, either. Sound suggestions. Although not too detailed in this review, I can say I'm very glad I found and read this book.
Jackie
Mar 02, 2012 Jackie rated it liked it
This book has the root of some very powerful ideas, but they're too condensed here to have much substance. That said, it has ignited my interest in the Rebbe, which I guess was the point of the book in the first place. I hope soon to delve into some of his translated farbrengens.
precaf
Apr 18, 2016 precaf rated it liked it
Whether you agree with Orthodox Judaism or are an atheist, there's much to admire in at least the idea behind Hasidism: finding a formula for living a meaningful life. More people should try it. That said, it's hard to accept their first principle: God.
Marnie
Dec 12, 2008 Marnie rated it it was amazing
This is a great book. You can open to any page and read. After reading a chapter, there is definitely time for discussion. Thought provoking and spiritual.
Letícia Brandão
Nov 14, 2010 Letícia Brandão rated it it was amazing
i loved this book.
Dec 19, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
Thought-provoking and wise, but a little too condensed. Still, a repeat.
Carrie
Oct 05, 2010 Carrie marked it as reference
I am reading this for a book club. It should lead to some interesting discussions.
David
Sep 15, 2016 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best books that I have ever read. For me, it was one of those books where you can only read a few pages at a time, because the information in it is so deep and profound. This will be a book that I will read every summer. It's that good.
Jan
Sep 12, 2016 Jan marked it as to-read
Galina
Sep 20, 2016 Galina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely Amazing! A MUST READ for Everyone!

I wish I had read this book of wisdom from Rebbe 20 years ago. It is so amazing I told everyone about, including my non Jewish friends. I even ordered another copy in Russian for my mom! If you have teenage children, let them read this book! I believe that every human being should read this book of great wisdom, especially our politicians! If everyone applied morals and values provided by Rebbe, this world would have been a better place. There would p
Joel Kleehammer
Dec 23, 2012 Joel Kleehammer rated it really liked it
Shelves: jewish
I am a huge fan (but not follower)of Rebbe Menachem Mendel Schneerson, of Blessed Memory. Simply known as The Rebbe, he led millions of Jews and spread knowledge, wisdom, understanding...and tradition to many more. His legacy is felt all over the world, and this is an excellent collection of his teachings, which really do help a person toward a meaningful life.
Eddy
Mar 12, 2015 Eddy rated it liked it
Shelves: judaica
It was okay. The best part of the book for me were the short little stories in italics. Sometimes the main text was too drawn out, but the book is undoubtedly filled with sparks of inspiration and insight which you can take away and be mindful of implementing in your life.
Robert Cymbala
Oct 11, 2013 Robert Cymbala rated it it was amazing
Interesting how much this book appeals to me after 20 years of orthodox marxism! "It's an inside job." "Nothing has changed, while everything has changed."
Roderick Logan, DPTh
Simple, straightforward, and easily understood. Don't underestimate the profundity and timelessness of the Rebbe's words.
Orit
Aug 21, 2014 Orit rated it really liked it
I'm actually reading the "old" edition. Very insightful, spiritual and true. It's a must read so far!
Ayala_s
Mar 27, 2011 Ayala_s is currently reading it
Reading this alongside the Buddhist texts I have been studying is very gratifying and has me understanding it and appreciating both traditions in a new way.
Linda
Linda rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2010
Monica Sasson
Monica Sasson rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2016
M
M rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2016
Deborah
Deborah rated it it was ok
Feb 05, 2012
Raphaella Kreiling
Raphaella Kreiling rated it really liked it
Nov 11, 2015
Barbara
Barbara rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2014
LOURDES RIVERA
LOURDES RIVERA rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2015
Michal
Michal rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2014
Eytan Sosnovich
Eytan Sosnovich rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2014
Glenn
Glenn rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2016
Jonah
Jonah rated it it was ok
Jun 04, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Everyday Holiness: the Jewish Spiritual Path of Mussar
  • Jewish Meditation: A Practical Guide
  • Coach Wooden One-on-One: Inspiring Conversations on Purpose, Passion and the Pursuit of Success
  • The Garden Of Emuna
  • How to Run a Traditional Jewish Household
  • The Rebbe's Army: Inside the World of Chabad-Lubavitch
  • To Be A Jew: A Guide To Jewish Observance In Contemporary Life
  • Rebbe: The Life and Teachings of Menachem M. Schneerson, the Most Influential Rabbi in Modern History
  • Way of God: Derech Hashem (Torah Classics Library) (English and Hebrew Edition)
  • A Letter in the Scroll: Understanding Our Jewish Identity and Exploring the Legacy of the World's Oldest Religion
  • The Chumash: The Stone Edition, Full Size (ArtScroll) (English and Hebrew Edition) The Torah: Haftaros and Five Megillos with a Commentary Anthologized from the Rabbinic Writings
  • Everyman's Talmud: The Major Teachings of the Rabbinic Sages