Start by marking “The Six O'Clock Scramble: Quick, Healthy, and Delicious Dinner Recipes for Busy Families” as Want to Read:

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  93 ratings  ·  16 reviews
The Six O'Clock Scramble cookbook is a companion to Aviva's wonderful email-based newsletter service that provides busy moms with easy and nutritious meals for their families.

The Scramble is a weekly e-mail newsletter that features:
Five flavorful and healthy, tried-and-true dinner recipes with side dish suggestions, emailed to you each week.

Easy-to-prepare dinners in 30
Published April 4th 2006 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about The Six O'Clock Scramble, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Six O'Clock Scramble

Sue
Jul 16, 2008 Sue rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: moms of picky eaters, people who want a healthy meal plan with lots of variety
Recommended to Sue by: found it at half-priced books on a date! wow, married dates are
Wowie!
This cookbook has changed my life! Ok, maybe not quite, but it certainly has the potential to.
With 52 weeks of recipes that take under thirty minutes to prepare, each week is full of healthy, eclectic choices.
There are 5 kid-friendly meals per week, making this book is a busy mom's dream.
Instead of just reprinting the same recipes I've been making for years, it is experimental & unique. Only two of the 20 recipes I've tried have gotten less than 4 stars from my kids who profess hot d
Mira Dessy
You're feeling tired; it's been a long day, the kids are hungry, they're cranky, and chaos abounds. The witching hour has arrived and you're left wondering what you're going to make for dinner. Whether you work from home, outside the home or don't work for pay you are probably all too familiar with that hectic time of day when kids, and grown-ups, need to be fed, but inspiration (and sometimes motivation) just isn't there.
The answer has arrived. SOS! The Six O'Clock Scramble to the Rescue by Av
Julie Hedlund
My cooking life would come to a screeching halt without this book. This is the cookbook I turn to when I've been working all day, look at the clock and think, "Oh no, what can I make for dinner within an hour that everyone will like?"[return][return]This book goes beyond the simple kid-friendly recipes, and provides a happy medium between food that kids will definitely eat and food that adults want to eat. It introduces kids to new spices and condiments (curry, peppers, dijon mustard, etc.) in w ...more
Sonja Isaacson
I am pretty dissatisfied with this book. Enough that I might give it 2 stars instead of 3 as a waste of my time.

This book is set up by the 4 seasons, each season with 13 weeks of recipes. Each week has 5 suppers, which seems accurate as we eat out at least once a week. And at the end there is like a list of sides. And school-lunch suggestions. But come on - there are NO DESSERTS! What kind of weekly supper planner does not even have one dessert!

I am pretty sure I had this on my to-read list fro
Michelle
This was OK. If you started your kids young, it'd probably go well. Lots of fish--could be expensive for some of us in flyover country. Many of the meals seem low on fiber to me, and there is only a section of (not analyzed for nutrition) side dishes to choose from--you'd not be making much headway to ideal fruit and veg consumption on the main courses alone. But it's OK. Anyone with younger kids want my copy?
Katharine
Her recipes are great - extremely simple, real ingredients, short ingredient lists. Plenty of vegetarian options. Organized by season. The back has a few different Indexes. One for best to feed a crowd, another for best recipes for picnics, ideas for baby food and kid lunches and more.
I love the index full of side dishes for ideas for quick side salads, how to dress up green beans or other veggies - all using ingredients I already have around. For me, that section is worth the price of the book.
OK, I don't normally add cookbooks on here because I didn't "read" them, but this one is awesome. I checked it out of the library (yay!) and have made at least 10 things from it and they have all been awesome. Even Travis has liked almost all of them! They are all made from normal ingredients (I usually only have to buy the produce), they are fast, there are a ton of vegetarian recipes, and the number of servings is accurate (none of this 1 lb of pasta makes 4 servings nonsense). We love it. I'm ...more
Robyn
This one has really quick recipes that are healthy, but because of the short cuts to get the food on the table fast sometimes we have to add more to the recipes to suit our family. I use this book in my menu planning when I know I am going to have a busy week. Family favorites so far include: Apricot Chicken, Red Beans and Rice, Asian Pasta Salad and Mango Coconut Chicken.
Mairead
<3 meal planning -- makes life 100% easier.

The recipes are simple, but creative. And definitely doable for a novice and fancy upable for a pro.

If you get the book, be sure to check out this website for the accompanying printable grocery lists for each week.
Nic
The best cook book ever! I've been through and tagged a ton of these recipes and everyone seems to like them. They are really quick and easy to make and healthy too. And for some reason I like making this food, probably because almost everything I've made has gone over well.
Liz De Coster
A pleasant surprise! I was concerned it would be a Sandra Lee style dump-and-stir cookbook, but it's more interesting and has a wider range than that. Suggested by Unclutterer.
Catherine
Quick, easy to prepare, healthy recipes. I go to this book when I can't think of anything to make for dinner and don't want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen.
Allison
Good quick meals with a online shopping list for the week. I have only done this a couple weeks, but I plan to get back on track! :)
Carolyn
A gift from a friend.
My family loves the recipe for 'Home-made Chicken Nuggets' - it's excellent!
Kim
great if you need quick healthy ideas.
Christa
healthy easy recipes, love it!!
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Holly Brown
Holly Brown marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Sherrie
Sherrie marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Maggie
Maggie marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Avivas Six O'Clock Scramble Cookbook debuted in 2006 to national acclaim. Both the cookbook and online meal planning service won praise from reviewers at O Magazine, Working Mother, USA Today, Real Simple and The Washington Post, among many others.

Debuting in April 2010, Avivas latest cookbook SOS! The Six OClock Scramble to the Rescue: Earth-Friendly, Kid-Pleasing Dinners for Busy Families combi
More about Aviva Goldfarb...
SOS!  The Six O'Clock Scramble to the Rescue: Earth-Friendly, Kid-Pleasing Dinners for Busy Families Six O'Clock Scramble Meal Planner: A Year of Quick, Delicious Meals to Help You Prevent and Manage Diabetes and Promote Heart Health and Weight Loss The Six O'Clock Scramble: Dinner in 20 Minutes or Less ADHD to Honor Roll: How I Cured My Child's ADHD Without Drugs (And You Can, Too!)