Start by marking “Balancing on the Edge of the World” as Want to Read:
Balancing on the Edge of the World

Balancing on the Edge of the World

These are stories about power: children without it and adults vying to get or keep it - the boy caught between divorced parents, the arts worker conman, the avenging wife. Sometimes funny, sometimes moving, and always surprising: for it's a slippery thing, power, and nothing is ever quite what it seems ...
Published October 1st 2007 by Salt Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Balancing on the Edge of the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Balancing on the Edge of the World

Jim
Sep 19, 2009 Jim rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who doesn't need to be read by the nose through a story
If you're interested in traditional stories with beginnings, middles and endings with plots and clearly-defined characters then this may not be the book for you. If you subscribe to the slice-of-life school of storytelling and you believe that a story can get by with a point rather than a plot and if you don't need a CV for every character who pops his head into the tale then read on. This is storytelling for the 21st century. No preamble, no pussyfooting around. Readers are expected to contribu ...more
Charles
Mar 03, 2009 Charles rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and Elizabeth was kind enough to answer a few questions about it as she swept around the blogosphere on her virtual book tour. You can read my questions and her answers here
Tracy Miller
Jul 05, 2009 Tracy Miller rated it really liked it
Elizabeth Baines' collection of short stories, Balancing on the Edge of the World, is a slim volume, but what it lacks in heft it makes up for in emotional power. The stories themselves are often quite short--some might even be considered micro-fiction--but there is nothing small about what they have to say.

Here are some of the stories in a nutshell:

A group of young people, drunk, go out for a pizza, and realize they are not much better off than the beggar they meet outside the pizza shop.

A stru
Alan
Mar 04, 2009 Alan rated it really liked it
Recommended to Alan by: Charles Lambert
I realised as I read through that I had read some of these stories before in UK mags of the 80s & 90s (london Magazine, Stand, Bananas, Firebird) and it was great to see them collected together along with others here.

These are stories of adultery, childhood, family told with warmth and sharpness:

In the wood there's something cracking.
Angela Johnson leaves the gate swinging. Down the hill there are boys, JOhnson boys breaking branches and slinging them. They jump, knees bent, swinging, till
Jamieson
May 30, 2009 Jamieson rated it it was amazing
Absolutely wonderful collection of short stories. Some of the best writing I have read in years.

Not so much a collection of short stories. More a collection of jewels that have been dusted off and collected together so that they shine brightly.
Elizabeth Baines
Mar 22, 2009 Elizabeth Baines added it  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote it, so I've decided not to rate it. What did I learn from putting this collection together? That although I had been trying hard to make every story different from every other when I wrote them, I had all along been obsessed with particular themes...
Nik Perring
Mar 06, 2009 Nik Perring rated it it was amazing
An excellent and varied collection - highly recommended by me.
Steven
Steven rated it it was ok
Jan 04, 2015
Jhvjihb
Jhvjihb rated it it was amazing
Nov 02, 2015
Benjamin Judge
Benjamin Judge rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2014
Katherine Lewis
Katherine Lewis rated it liked it
Aug 17, 2015
Anouska
Anouska rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2010
Aoife O'
Aoife O' rated it liked it
Dec 22, 2015
Steveking
Steveking rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2012
annie
annie rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2008
Julia Walsh
Julia Walsh rated it it was amazing
Oct 08, 2010
J.C.
J.C. rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2010
Emma
Emma rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2009
Tinyan
Tinyan rated it really liked it
May 06, 2015
Déirdre
Déirdre rated it it was ok
Feb 20, 2013
A.B. Wells
A.B. Wells rated it really liked it
May 07, 2012
Tania
Tania marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2008
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2008
Teddy
Teddy added it
Jul 09, 2009
John
John added it
Dec 15, 2009
Kasper
Kasper marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2011
Meg
Meg marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2012
Magdalena
Magdalena marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2013
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2013
Shawna
Shawna marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2013
Autumn
Autumn marked it as to-read
May 08, 2013
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2013
Jane Williams
Jane Williams marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2014
Tanya
Tanya marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Q Miles
Q Miles marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Janet McLarty Fretter
Janet McLarty Fretter marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Short Cure
Short Cure marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2015
Christie
Christie marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2015
Barbara Justiniano
Barbara Justiniano marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2016
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Johanna Homme
Johanna Homme marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2017
Sabine
Sabine marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2017
Novelist, short story writer and playwright. Her latest book is USED TO BE (Salt), a collection of stories. Salt also published her first collection, BALANCING ON THE EDGE OF THE WORLD, and her novel TOO MANY MAGPIES, and reissued her groundbreaking first novel, THE BIRTH MACHINE.

Praise for Elizabeth's work:

'Moving and compelling' - Sarah Salway on Too Many Magpies

'Quite swept me off my feet' - D
More about Elizabeth Baines...