Start by marking “The Gypsy's Dream (The Greek Village, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Gypsy's Dream (The Greek Village, #4)

Read Book

The Gypsy's Dream (The Greek Village #4)

Librarian's Note: Alternate-cover edition for ISBN10: 1484873319 / ISBN13: 9781484873311

Cross at Dad, Abby, 17, boards a flight to Greece, but gets hopelessly lost and ends up in the wrong village.

Alone, with very little money, no Greek and no way to contact her friend Jackie, who has lined up a bar job for her, Abby realises she has to stand on her own two feet for the fi
Published March 2016 by Createspace (first published May 2nd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Gypsy's Dream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gypsy's Dream

David Staniforth
Oct 14, 2016 David Staniforth rated it it was amazing
I adore these Greek Village books; there's something comforting about them that offers a very relaxing and yet compulsive read. They're about people and their interactions with others, and the two combined make me want to read on and on without pause until the story is finished. Knowing that the next book will contain the same characters and likely introduce at least one new character, or add flesh to a peripheral character from a previous book, pushes me to want to read the next.

They may not be
Alexes
Apr 29, 2013 Alexes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sara Alexi's Greek Village series just keeps getting better and better. Others have detailed the plot here, so I'll skip that and say that what I appreciate about Alexi's work--especially in The Illegal Gardner and here in The Gypsy's Dream--is how she gets inside the skin of her characters and makes them live on the page. I feel as though I know each one of them, their struggles and triumphs, their innermost thoughts. It's the rare writer who can pull that off in one book, much less in four. ...more
Alan
Oct 20, 2016 Alan rated it it was amazing
Am so loving this series that I just want to go back to Greece and the Greeks. Think I will just try the next one.

Just realised I have read the first 4 books in under 4 days.
Sharon Gillaspie
Oct 09, 2016 Sharon Gillaspie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another Great Greek Story!!

It feels like I'm a part of the family. It is enjoyable watching them interact with each other. I rooted for Stella and for her bravery to leave Stavos. Each character has their own unique quality. I would recommend this book and am looking forward to the next selection.
Richard Clark
Aug 01, 2013 Richard Clark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Gypsy's Dream by Sara Alexi is the fourth novel in her Greek Village series, and long may they continue. With every story we get closer to the characters who inhabit this small village, tucked away in the Greek countryside. Mostly the brilliant Greek sunlight shines, but sometimes storm clouds darken the skies, reflecting the true nature and depth of Alexi's characters. And they can be dark, very dark... Herein lies the success of this author's craft, her characters are real human beings, ...more
Janine
Feb 01, 2014 Janine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I received The Gypsy's Dream as a free download ebook from the author. I had never read any of Ms Alexi's other books and was unsure what to expect. However, I am passionate about anything pertaining to Greece, and have read and enjoyed many other books set in Greece. Therefore, I jumped in with nothing to lose.

I was not disappointed with this book. Unlike many of the previous books set in Greece that I have read, which tend to fall into the travel memoir genre, The Gypsy's Dream is a fast-movi
Valerie
Aug 20, 2016 Valerie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, foreign, womens
Loved this book! It fits so well with the other books in that things that were only hinted at in other books are fleshed out in this book. 'Mysteries' that left me hanging and wondering are solved. I cannot wait to read the next book and learn more of the everyday life of the people of this small village. I lived for 6 months in the village of Atsipoupolo on the island of Crete. I find it quite easy to recognize the village and the lives of its inhabitants in Alexi's books. The characters are ...more
M.K. Turner
Sep 06, 2016 M.K. Turner rated it it was amazing
The Gypsy’s Dream – Sara Alexi 5*
I’ve now read several of the Greek Village series and this one didn’t disappoint. I loved the character of Stella, and enjoyed the building of tension in the café/bar as Stella coped with the appearance of a young English girl. Dark secrets are revealed, and as always Juliet is there on hand to give some sage advice. Recommended.
MissG
Jul 11, 2014 MissG rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved It!!!!

Discovering more about Stella was heartwarming & at times pulled at my heartstrings. I loved how the character grew & matured throughout the story. Abby was a great addition to the storyline, & as in the previous stories bringing the story together with previous characters kept me engaged & wanting to know what will happen next. I believe there is another book - I HOPE there is, I am completely captivated with these characters!
Jon Bowman
Jan 05, 2015 Jon Bowman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Greek Village series has fast become one of my favorite series of books to read. The author clearly paints an ever developing picture of this quaint village in Greece. Each book develops and intertwines the characters, locations and village life drama's building on a solid story line for each book. Because of the continued development of each character and their relationships with each other each book is truly a charm to read. I can't wait to pop the next book onto my Kindle and start #5.
Marcy Clay
Jun 17, 2015 Marcy Clay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book.

This is a story of dreams, of strength, of life. Stella is a kind, hard working woman who has grown apart from her cruel, repulsive husband. Abby, a teenager from England 'accidently' arrives in the village and their lives become enmeshed.
The novel is well written with only a couple of typos. I recommend this book whole-heartedly.
Macoffkilter
Sep 09, 2016 Macoffkilter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A slow start, but well worth the investment of time. I am glad I persevered as this turned out to be a thoughtful and enjoyable book. The writing draws you into the local Greek culture beautifully. All of the other books in the series are on my wish list now. And other books from this worthy author.
Sharon Scott
Apr 06, 2016 Sharon Scott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the history and the scenery. Saras characters are real to life with all of lifes problems and beauty. I love to come back to hear from my friends here in the Greek Village. To know what made them who they are and to see how they are doing. I cannot wait to read the next book!
Catherine
May 11, 2016 Catherine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dramatic! Another brilliant "Good Greek read" and a brilliant follow on from the dynamite drama of book 3. Really enjoyed this and will start on book five very shortly! I just love this Greek Village!
Adrianna Shannon
Aug 16, 2016 Adrianna Shannon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whimsical coming of age story

I loved the depiction of the village and people. Abby's struggles are shaping her into a strong woman who is wise to surround herself with good people. Nice, quick read.
Ashley Harrison
Aug 13, 2016 Ashley Harrison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another Great book

This is another great book about love, friendship and perseverance. It shows that when life gives you lemons you actually can make lemonade no matter how sweet or sour could be. Love love it on to the next one ....:)
Beth Ytzen
Mar 29, 2016 Beth Ytzen rated it really liked it
Charming summer beach read!
Rosemary Manthorpe
Sep 29, 2016 Rosemary Manthorpe rated it liked it
Not sure about this one. About two thirds through there were mistakes in the sentences here and there as if it had been rushed and not proof-read. There were so many it began to annoy somewhat.
Apart from this I enjoy feeling a part of this Greek village with the familiar characters and will continue onto the fifth book in the series.
Breakaway Reviewers
I have two series of books that I wait with anticipation for the next in the series: Alexander McCall Smith’s No 1 Lady Detective series and this series – The Greek Village Series!

Sara Alexi has taken this little village in Greece and introduces us to people who live there and their complex lives. In this book – we learn about Stella and her tumultuous marriage to Stavros. Stella’s money managed to buy them the ouzeri in the village. Juliet, (who we met in the Illegal Gardener) is teaching her E
Adri
Jun 18, 2013 Adri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would give this book 3.8 stars if I could. Of the Greek Village series this is the one I like second best. My favourite still being The Illegal Gardener. I like the idea of all these stories taking place in the same locale with the focus shifting from one character to another in the different 'episodes'. There is quite a bit of internal monologues going on which gives insight into the characters.

The story does not demand a lot of attention and flows along at a nice pace. Characters show develo
Babs Cullan
Apr 06, 2016 Babs Cullan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have enjoyed each of the four books I've read in this series, so far. They are well written and immediately draw you into the life of a small Greek village. I am getting to know each of the characters and wonder who will be the focus of the next book, as I finish each one. I have a feeling that I may be sad when I reach the last from this series.

This is a story that highlights prejudice and the damage it does to a person's self esteem. Stella didn't expect, or think she deserved the good thing
W
Feb 18, 2014 W rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book for free through BookBub.

After about three chapters, I really wasn't sure if I was going to finish this book. I took a break and read another book and came back to this one.

There were twists and turns I didn't expect as the story progressed and I looked forward to finishing it to see how the crises were resolved.

I believe the author did a good job of setting the scenes and describing the characters. I was able to create clear images in my mind rather easily as I read.

If I c
Beth Erwin
Aug 19, 2013 Beth Erwin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other-fiction
I liked the characters; very real people with real reactions and worries, but not overblown. It took some time to get into the book, and I can't help but wonder if that would've been different if I'd read the others in this series first. About the time I decided I couldn't keep reading and tried to put the book aside, I got pulled back in, not by the person I originally thought would be the main character, but by the much more interesting, honest character of Stella. This was a good read, and ...more
Barbara Blackburn
I stumbled upon this book from a site that offers free books once in awhile and I loved it. I didn't know it was part of Sara Alexi's Greek Village series. I devoured it, falling in love with the characters and the village. By the time it ended I felt like I lived there and I didn't want to say goodbye to those characters I had grown to adore. I have read the first one now and it is just as good. I highly recommend this series to everyone.
Sandra Rhein
Enjoyable. I read the whole series. It's easy reading, but has interesting character development. Each book in the series takes you into the lives and backgrounds of more people in the village. Because I've travelled to quite a few different cultures, I'm drawn to and intrigued by descriptions of foreign cultures. It is fascinating and delightful to get to know how others think and live and experience life.
Lori
Jul 09, 2013 Lori rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved book 4 in this Greek series. In this one we get to know a new character, Abby, a teen from England spreading her wings in the world. We also get to know more about Stella & Stavros as well as Vasso. Sara Alexi has a way of putting you IN this village with all it's sights, sounds & smells and make you care for her characters. I really enjoyed this book and the ending was wonderful. Will miss "my friends in Greece" until book 5 is published!
Amanda
Jun 17, 2015 Amanda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't really like or dislike this book, I thought it was just okay. It's very slow moving and by the time I wanted to stop reading, it picked up and kept me interested enough to finish. I loved the female characters the more the story progressed and it was nice to see them stand up for one another when needed.
Linda Barras
Jan 06, 2015 Linda Barras rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

The author has taken an interesting stance in this book. I enjoyed the curiosity and wonder of which way the novel was going. It was an great read and I could visualize the scenery throughout the story. I have never traveled abroad, but I was able to experience the beauty that must be there .
Sandra
Mar 20, 2014 Sandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story was a little slow getting started with the dream not being introduced until the final quarter of the book. I am glad I didn't stop reading as the resolution was worth the wait. The characters are strong and compelling, especially given their contrasts. Now I am interested in reading other books in the Greek Village series.
Wendy Scott
Jul 14, 2013 Wendy Scott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adore this series, the way the lives and stories interweave throughout each different instalment. The village and villagers are as familiar to me as if they were a real place I’ve visited and I can’t wait to explore the other characters’ stories which are yet to come. Highly recommend this entire series.
  • Mobley's Law
  • Gumbeaux
  • The Whiskey Tide
  • Dog River Blues
  • Transcender: First-Timer (Transcender, #1)
  • First Frost (Frost, #1)
  • On Assignment (Queenie Baby, #1)
  • A Vested Interest - Immortality Gene
  • Asleep Without Dreaming
  • The Lamp
  • A Cape May Diamond
  • Once Again (Sky Cove, #1)
  • The Awakening (The Breeding Prophecy, #1)
  • Death Will Get You Sober (Bruce Kohler, #1)
  • The Original Alibi (Matt Kile Mystery, #2)
  • Four Days with Hemingway's Ghost
  • A Forgotten Man (The Life of Julia Series)
  • The Girl From Tenerife
Best selling author Sara Alexi was born in Oxford, England. After travelling widely she now splits her time between England and a tiny rural village in the Peloponnese, in Greece, where she has renovated a stone farmhouse, whilst observing the Greek way of life and absorbing the culture.

As a qualified as a psychotherapist Sara ran her own practice for years. Her artistic nature was, during that ti
More about Sara Alexi...

The Greek Village (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • The Illegal Gardener (The Greek Village, #1)
  • Black Butterflies (Greek Village, #2)
  • The Explosive Nature of Friendship (The Greek Village, #3)
  • The Art of Becoming Homeless (The Greek Village, #5)
  • In the Shade of the Monkey Puzzle Tree (The Greek Village, #6)
  • A Handful Of Pebbles (The Greek Village, #7)
  • The Unquiet Mind (The Greek Village #8)
  • Watching the Wind Blow (The Greek Village #9)
  • The Reluctant Baker (The Greek Village #10)
  • The English Lesson (The Greek Village #11)

“her,’ Abby says.” 0 likes