Start by marking “The Hunting Of The Snark” as Want to Read:
The Hunting Of The Snark

The Hunting Of The Snark

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  2,648 ratings  ·  176 reviews
The Hunting of the Snark is a fantastical "nonsense" poem, exploring the adventures of a bizarre crew of tradesmen who set off to find the eponymous creature.

The fanciful eight-canto poem describes the sea voyage of a bellman, boots (bootblack), bonnet maker, barrister, broker, billiard marker, banker, beaver, baker, and butcher, and their search for the elusive, undefine
Published by Adamant Media Corporation (first published 1876)

To ask other readers questions about The Hunting Of The Snark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hunting Of The Snark

Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëWuthering Heights by Emily BrontëThe Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar WildeAlice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll
Best Books of the 19th Century
138th out of 615 books — 3,464 voters
Anna Karenina by Leo TolstoyThe Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark TwainThrough the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There by Lewis CarrollMiddlemarch by George EliotAround the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne
Best Books of the Decade: 1870s
14th out of 142 books — 67 voters

More lists with this book...

Manny
"You must read this book!" the Reviewer cried,
As he searched for a suitable rhyme
But as long as he stole more than half of the words
He was sure he would get there in time.

The rest of this review is available elsewhere (the location cannot be given for Goodreads policy reasons)
Mark
Jan 09, 2012 Mark rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who smile easily
Another book I picked up at the Tate last week in Liverpool. More of the Tove Jansson nostalgic illustrations and a beautiful edition which sat happily in my hands last night as I read it aloud in bed. Thank God i live alone. The wonderful tumble of Carroll's rythmic pulsing verse is such fun to burble out and some of the verses made me smile out loud

'He thought of his childhood, left far far behind-
That blissful and innocent state-
The sound so exactly recalled to his mind
A pencil that squeaks o
Petya Kokudeva
Сигурно има много начини да се влюбиш в нонсенса (и по-точно в nonsense verse-a), но моят беше през Едуард Лиър, Огдън Наш и Луис Карол - именно с The Hunting of the Snark. Толкова причудлива сплав от искрен смях и ненатраплив, самоироничен смисъл рядко се среща. Но да не се отплесвам. "На лов за Снарк" на български е истинско пиршество! Майсторски преведена откъм ритъм и стъпка, безукорна в римите (а на места изобилства от тях, има и вътрешноредови даже).

Кристин Димитрова, преводач; Владимир Т
Keith
This is the epitome of nonsense verse and the measure by which I compare all others. The verse is beautifully and nimbly handled without sacrificing the humor or the nonsense.

My version has Martin Gardner's annotations which are helpful, but not necessary. Nonsense isn't supposed to make sense!

I highly recommend this book for adults, children, and pets. It is one of my favorite books that I've re-read several dozen times.

(Added note: Boris Karloff has an excellent reading of this that is avail
Mahendra Singh
Great poem but the illustrator is a debauched, discombubulated fool whose asemic scribblings and ink-blottings cannot stand up to even the most puerile graphical ravings of a den of opium-besotted thuggees, or even the currently uber-hip artiste visually polluting the cover of the New Yorker. Which ever one's worst, that's the one that this artist is worserer than.

Frankly, I think there's something funny about the whole business and I wouldn't be surprised if there's prison time and/or stiff fin
Жор
Да се чете в пияно състояние. Тъкмо поради това не мога да напиша нищо смислено в момента.
Fran
Perfection between two hard boards.

This edition is superb. The surreal illustrations of Mahendra Singh are beautiful and just perfect for Snark. The references to other Carroll works, other fiction, artists (Henry Holiday's original illustrations in particular), and goodness knows what else (I couldn't possibly have caught every reference) are amazing and will keep you coming back to this edition time after time. I'm quite sure you'd spot something new each time you read it. The visual jokes th
Isil
La chasse au Snark est une pépite. Pourtant, même si j’adore l’absurde britannique, lire ce poème me faisait peur. Je suis une lectrice de poésie très médiocre alors avec le côté délirant de Carroll, je craignais de ne rien comprendre et de m’ennuyer. Pour être honnête, je crois que je n’y ai pas compris grand-chose et c’est peut-être aussi la preuve que je ne sais pas lire parce que si Carroll a voulu dire quelque chose ou faire passer un message à travers son texte, je suis passée totalement ...more
Nathan
Probably my favorite poem to date. This so intrigued me that I returned for a reread the same day.

Much longer than "Jabberwocky," this "Agony in Eight Fits" (as Carroll calls it) is an adventurous, mysterious, brain-tugging story of a sailing crew which sets to find a Snark (whatever it is):

"They sought it with thimbles, they sought it with care; / They pursued it with forks and hope, / They threatened its life with a railway-share; / They charmed it with smiles and soap."

The theme is dark and w
Jon
A recent episode of Inspector Lewis on PBS had numerous references to this nonsense poem, and I realized I hadn't read it since junior high. I decided if I was going to re-read it at all, I'd get the annotated version from the library. It's not as good as the Annotated Alice, but I'm grateful for a few of the notes. One was on the stanza:

He was thoughtful and grave--but the orders he gave
Were enough to bewilder a crew.
When he cried, "Steer to starboard, but keep her head larboard!"
What on earth
Vincent O'Neil
"In the midst of the word he was trying to say,
In the midst of his laughter and glee,
He had softly and suddenly vanished away-
For the Snark was a Boojum, you see."

Say what!

The original was published on April Fools' Day in 1876, eleven years after the publication of Alice in Wonderland. So, it behooves you to have read Alice first.

Then, you try to read Snark and understand what the heck is going on. I mean, Alice was confusing enough, but Snark offers an even more unique challenge.

We know Lew
Libby
Five stars for both content, Lewis Carroll's sublimely weird nonsense epic about an ill-fated hunting mission by a group of bizarre characters, and edition, which contains Martin Gardner's playfully brilliant introduction, extensive annotations, and appendices. Carroll says of his eight fits of Snarkdom that there is no real symbolism- the Snark is just a Snark. Or more precisely, a Boojum. Numerous scholars have pooh-poohed this, arguing that no Victorian writer can understand how he is influen ...more
Ron Ratchford
I read a particular edition of the book and it is not listed among the books on Goodreads' shelf. The one I read was an 1981 edition with a section of the book dedicated to the editing and the original publication of the book. I found the entire book fascinating. The book is in sections and the numbers of the chapters are specific. The man was a math major for heaven sakes.
The story is of a voyage to a place where snarks may be hunted. The passengers on the ship are individuals whose occupation
Radi Radev
Един велик писател беше казал, че за деца се пише като за възрастни, само че по-трудно.
Такава е и поемата на Луис Карол, в която и децата и възрастните с много смях ще ловят Снарк, но дори и осмината джентълмени не знаят как, кога и къде да го търсят.
Какво е Снарк - мечта, проблем или стоглавото животно - живот, в който всеки трябва да се държи като ловец, като борец, който трябва да се бори за да оцелява.
Е, трудно е когато адмиралът на кораба не различава бушприт от рул, но така е и в живота, н
Cindy
I am a fan of Lewis Carroll, but I had never read the entire poem of "The Hunting of the Snark." So I was delighted to receive this new edition of the poem illustrated by Oleg Lipchenko from Library Thing Early Reviewers.

The poem is, of course, typical Carroll nonsense. A bit of math, a bit of natural history, some nice rhythm and crazy characters who have no explainable relationship with one another. The set off on an adventure to find the Snark and bring it in.

Lipchenko's art work is perfect f
Kaethe
Not this particular edition (which is cooler than the first one I read). I c9ollected various Carroll editions, so actually, I don't know which one I fell in love with first.
Andrea Judy
One of the my favorite Lewis Carroll works!

This version absolutely has a great series of notes but sometimes I felt the annotations went a little further than was needed and distracted me from the story itself.
Goetz Kluge
This is about the 1st edition of The Hunting of the Snark (1876).

Henry Holiday, the first illustrator of Lewis Caroll's The Hunting of the Snark, categorized the long poem as a tragedy. It is an underestimated and underresearched ballade. Read it carefully:

There was an old man of Port Grigor,
Whose actions were noted for vigour;
He stood on his head
till his waistcoat turned red,
That eclectic old man of Port Grigor.

Edward Lear, 1872

He was black in the face,
and they scarcely could trace
The least lik
Valerie
If you don't get the annotated version, you may be left wondering about the bathing-machines and why the snark's life could be threatened with railway-shares. It's still a fun book without the background material, but I think the annotations add to the value.

Carroll said he wrote this poem to figure out for himself the meaning of a phrase that popped into his head: 'He softly and suddenly vanished away/for the snark was a boojum, you see'.
Izumen
На лов за Снарк: http://izumen.blogspot.com/2014/10/bl...

Препоръчвам книгата, но не на всеки, разбира се. Това е специфично четиво, нонсенс литература - тренировка за любителите на езика и неговите странности. Ние останалите ще се задоволим с кикотене и бутилка ром.

Цялото ревю: http://izumen.blogspot.com/2014/10/bl...
Bruce
Written in about 1875 by Lewis Carroll (Charles Dodgson), The Hunting of the Snark is one of his nonsense poems, akin to but longer than Jabberwocky. The plot of the story concerns ten men who embark by ship to search for the Snark, an animal never precisely described but which might, if luck turned bad, instead by a Boojum, in which case the finder would vanish. Written in quatrains with a rhyme scheme of “abab”, the text is deliciously funny, filled with portmanteau words, irony, and silliness ...more
Gustav
"They sought it with thimbles, they sought it with care;
They pursued it with forks and hope;
They threatened its life with a railway-share;
They charmed it with smiles and soap.

Simply put, Mr. Carroll at his finest.
One of the greatest works of nonsense ever.
Florencia
Well, I gave TV a chance today. However, I found Titanic, Terminator 3, reality shows and other stuff, so, those aren't real options for me. I have no sitcoms to watch right now. Although, I'm kind of tired of watching the same sitcoms/tv series all the time. There's nothing new now. Once Upon a Time is on, so that's a good background sound. What to do on a Saturday afternoon? Yes. Let's find something out of the ordinary to read. And what did I find? A brilliant, typical Carroll nonsense poem. ...more
Mary
A phenomenal book. If the poem itself isn't enough, the Surrealist-inspired drawings bring a whole new dimension to the eight fits. Both Carroll's clever preface and the illustrator's afterword bring amusing and informative context. Love love love.
Samantha
I checked this book out from my university's library. For one of my school projects I'm reworking some things from Alice in Wonderland and in order to figure out the next aspect to work with, I decided to read this book and try to find some inspiration after seeing somewhere online that it mentions words and creatures from The Jabberwocky (one of my favorite poems ever). Now I have a pretty good idea of what I can do. This was a super quick, and super fun, read. I might just have to purchase a c ...more
Emily
This is my all time favorite book/nonsense poem. Me and my dad used to read it every fall together, it is forever the best of the best.
Fran
The poem is amazing, as always, but this edition gets marked down a star because Helen Oxenbury's illustrations really didn't fit for me. She's a fine artist, and her illustrations for both Alice books (published by Walker) were wonderful, but these ones aren't so great. They don't receive a particularly good treatment in this edition from the 70s, and could probably benefit from a refresh, and that doesn't help. But, really, I felt that they were just too pedestrian for such a glorious and nons ...more
Douglas Dalrymple
Review of the 2010 edition from Melville House with illustrations by Mehendra Singh: Awesome.
Kim
I love the illustrations by Mahendra Singh in the Melville House edition!
Topher
Oct 29, 2010 Topher marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I'm curious to see this new illustrated edition from Melville House...
Lewis Carrol : The Hunting of the Snark 6 3 Dec 17, 2014 02:49AM
A Lifetime's Read...: The Hunting of the Snark and What Alice Found There 2 6 Dec 07, 2014 12:06AM
  • The Complete Verse and Other Nonsense
  • Magic fishbone
  • Amphigorey Too
  • The Magic Pudding
  • The Egoist
The Rev. Charles Lutwidge Dodgson, better known by the pen name Lewis Carroll, was an English author, mathematician, logician, Anglican clergyman and photographer.

His most famous writings are Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and its sequel Through the Looking-Glass as well as the poems "The Hunting of the Snark" and "Jabberwocky", all considered to be within the genre of literary nonsense.

Oxford s
More about Lewis Carroll...
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass Alice in Wonderland (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland #1) Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland #2) Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Other Stories The Complete Stories and Poems

“For the snark was a boojum, you see.” 10 likes
“This was charming, no doubt; but they shortly found out That the Captain they trusted so well Had only one notion for crossing the ocean, And that was to tingle his bell.” 6 likes