Start by marking “The Self Sufficient-ish Bible: An Eco-living Guide for the 21st Century” as Want to Read:
The Self Sufficient-ish Bible: An Eco-living Guide for the 21st Century

The Self Sufficient-ish Bible: An Eco-living Guide for the 21st Century

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  119 ratings  ·  15 reviews
In this fun and helpful handbook, “Green Twins” Andy and Dave Hamilton present an approach to eco-conscious living that proves that helping the environment does not require altering an entire lifestyle. This guide is packed with creative ideas for recycling, growing organic vegetables, and establishing an environmentally friendly office for those who lack the space or time ...more
Published November 1st 2008 by Hodder & Stoughton

To ask other readers questions about The Self Sufficient-ish Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Self Sufficient-ish Bible

Really more of a guide to living lightly on the Earth, rather than self sufficiency.
Twin brothers Andy & Dave Hamilton deserve two big thumbs up for this book! Not only is it attractive and easy to read, but it's also chock-full of useful information about how to live a more mindful, frugal, earth-friendly life. Tips range from how to set up an eco-friendly home, to growing veggies, herbs, and fruit, to eating seasonally, keeping animals, preserving, foraging, making home-brew, natural medicines, low-impact travel, renewable energy, being green at the office, as a consumer ...more
Fee Fairy
Jul 04, 2012 Fee Fairy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone Ish
Recommended to Fee by: Ish...
Shelves: gardening
Can't believe it's taken me this long to review it...

The Ish Bible is the number 1 recommendation for anyone in an urban or rented setting who has an interest in going Self Sufficient. Andy and Dave, the authors both lived in a city in rented accommodation when they started the website They understood and found ways round the rules of renting and the difficulties of growing in cities.

The Bible is the result of the website and makes all the best hints and tips available
Jan 13, 2011 Andy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Well I wrote it so slightly bias!

The aim when writing it was to produce a book that was accessible to those wanting to empower themselves to do more. The underlying philosophy of the book (and website), is that the more we do to support ourselves, whether this means keeping pigs, growing vegetables, home brewing or foraging, the happier we are as humans. We also make our own environment a better place to live by not polluting it or adding to the amount of fossil fuels used.
Tons of great DIY projects and lot's of practical advise. Can't wait to make the cold frame for the garden (just need to salvage some old wooden-frame windows).

The only bummer (it's more of a personal problem really) is that I don't live in the UK. Since two Brits wrote it, it is geared toward life in England. Which is great if, well, you live in England. I wish that it had more US reference websites and a more universal approach.

Overall, cool book and great layout.
This is definitely more a book for homesteaders, which I am not as I live in a townhouse in the suburbs. Also, the authors are from the UK, so a lot of the garden ideas and green ideas are based on what's available over there. The pictures of the two of them seriously creeped me out; they're twins but they seem like they're a little chummy lol. Anywho, good points about organic/fair trade foods, and how to be a green consumer but most of it spent on homesteading.
I liked this book. It had lots of practical advice and DIY info about how to live a greener life. I especially liked the food and gardening sections and the part about how to build your own bird platform (akin to a feeder, I believe). The only con was that this was published in England, so there were a few teeny cultural differences. All in all a helpful :bible" for those interested in consuming less. (Lots of helpful pics and diagrams, which I loved!)
Listen, dudes, I am all for saving the planet. But this book makes me look like a jerk. I'm just not going to stop washing my hair, even though if I wait six weeks, it'll start naturally ridding itself of oil. There will also never be a wormery in my house.

It has made me think more about using goodwill and secondhand resources and only buying what I really truly need. I just am not ready to use hemp sheets instead of cotton.
Excellent book for those who fantasise about living the good life. Some very useful tips and information. Some information less useful if you don't have much money or live in a flat in inner city london, but still great for a good fantasy.
More for newbies to this kind of thinking/being, but still user-friendly and easy to breeze through in a few hours. I consider this book more about greening one's lifestyle than actual self-sufficient-ish-ness, but that's a minor quibble, really...
Nice tone, lots of ideas. Mostly about gardening and tips to buy completely new appliances and housing.

Creepy pictures of middle age balding longhair twins gleefully posing.

Very good & cute too. From a "green" perspective more than "urban homestead" & very informative.
Susan Tomi
I didnt finish it but I want to own it, great info
Sparked a whole new life-style! This is one powerful book
Reference book. Not for beginners.
Mandy Fischer
Mandy Fischer marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2015
Vicki marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2015
Jules marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2015
Manish Kumar
Manish Kumar marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2015
Gabby marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2015
LORRAINE marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2015
Irene Soler
Irene Soler marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2015
Anna Dimitrova
Anna Dimitrova marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2015
Jamie Chang
Jamie Chang is currently reading it
Oct 05, 2015
Bakunin marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2015
Katrina marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2015
Trampas Jones
Trampas Jones marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Brinja Urbanski
Brinja Urbanski marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
  • Garden Anywhere: How to grow gorgeous container gardens, herb gardens, kitchen gardens, and more, without spending a fortune
  • Urban Homesteading: Heirloom Skills for Sustainable Living
  • The Essential Urban Farmer
  • Don't Throw It, Grow It!: 68 Windowsill Plants From Kitchen Scraps
  • The Complete Compost Gardening Guide: Banner Batches, Grow Heaps, Comforter Compost, and Other Amazing Techniques for Saving Time and Money, and Producing the Most Flavorful, Nutritious Vegetables Ever
  • Little House in the Suburbs: Backyard Farming and Home Skills for Self-Sufficient Living
  • The New Complete Book Of Self Sufficiency
  • Self Sufficiency for the 21st Century
  • Edible Landscaping
  • Eat More Dirt: Diverting and Instructive Tips for Growing and Tending an Organic Garden
  • A Nation of Farmers: Defeating the Food Crisis on American Soil
  • The Small-Scale Poultry Flock: An All-Natural Approach to Raising Chickens and Other Fowl for Home and Market Growers
  • The Urban Homestead: Your Guide to Self-sufficient Living in the Heart of the City (Process Self-Reliance Series)
  • The Edible Front Yard: The Mow-Less, Grow-More Plan for a Beautiful, Bountiful Garden
  • Fresh Food from Small Spaces: The Square-Inch Gardener's Guide to Year-Round Growing, Fermenting, and Sprouting
  • Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food in Hard Times
  • Easy Green Living: The Ultimate Guide to Simple, Eco-Friendly Choices for You and Your Home
I've had many jobs, including shirt lifting, changing the best before dates on frozen meat and reading out very badly written scripts to get people to part with money on the telephone.

I now waltz around drinking cups of tea telling people I'm an author. In fact occasionally it's even better than that and I've been paid just to drink beer. I crop up on TV and talk on the radio and very occasionall
More about Andy Hamilton...