Start by marking “The Self Sufficient-ish Bible: An Eco-living Guide for the 21st Century” as Want to Read:
The Self Sufficient-ish Bible: An Eco-living Guide for the 21st Century

The Self Sufficient-ish Bible: An Eco-living Guide for the 21st Century

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  131 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
In this fun and helpful handbook, “Green Twins” Andy and Dave Hamilton present an approach to eco-conscious living that proves that helping the environment does not require altering an entire lifestyle. This guide is packed with creative ideas for recycling, growing organic vegetables, and establishing an environmentally friendly office for those who lack the space or time ...more
Published November 1st 2008 by Hodder & Stoughton

To ask other readers questions about The Self Sufficient-ish Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Self Sufficient-ish Bible

Jun 22, 2009 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Really more of a guide to living lightly on the Earth, rather than self sufficiency.
Jodi
Sep 19, 2011 Jodi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sustainability
Twin brothers Andy & Dave Hamilton deserve two big thumbs up for this book! Not only is it attractive and easy to read, but it's also chock-full of useful information about how to live a more mindful, frugal, earth-friendly life. Tips range from how to set up an eco-friendly home, to growing veggies, herbs, and fruit, to eating seasonally, keeping animals, preserving, foraging, making home-brew, natural medicines, low-impact travel, renewable energy, being green at the office, as a consumer ...more
Fee Fairy
Jul 04, 2012 Fee Fairy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone Ish
Recommended to Fee by: Ish...
Shelves: gardening
Can't believe it's taken me this long to review it...

The Ish Bible is the number 1 recommendation for anyone in an urban or rented setting who has an interest in going Self Sufficient. Andy and Dave, the authors both lived in a city in rented accommodation when they started the website www.selfsufficientish.com. They understood and found ways round the rules of renting and the difficulties of growing in cities.

The Bible is the result of the website and makes all the best hints and tips available
Andy
Jan 13, 2011 Andy rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Well I wrote it so slightly bias!

The aim when writing it was to produce a book that was accessible to those wanting to empower themselves to do more. The underlying philosophy of the book (and website), is that the more we do to support ourselves, whether this means keeping pigs, growing vegetables, home brewing or foraging, the happier we are as humans. We also make our own environment a better place to live by not polluting it or adding to the amount of fossil fuels used.
Lottie
May 31, 2009 Lottie rated it really liked it
Tons of great DIY projects and lot's of practical advise. Can't wait to make the cold frame for the garden (just need to salvage some old wooden-frame windows).

The only bummer (it's more of a personal problem really) is that I don't live in the UK. Since two Brits wrote it, it is geared toward life in England. Which is great if, well, you live in England. I wish that it had more US reference websites and a more universal approach.

Overall, cool book and great layout.
Latasha
This is definitely more a book for homesteaders, which I am not as I live in a townhouse in the suburbs. Also, the authors are from the UK, so a lot of the garden ideas and green ideas are based on what's available over there. The pictures of the two of them seriously creeped me out; they're twins but they seem like they're a little chummy lol. Anywho, good points about organic/fair trade foods, and how to be a green consumer but most of it spent on homesteading.
Jen
Feb 17, 2009 Jen rated it liked it
I liked this book. It had lots of practical advice and DIY info about how to live a greener life. I especially liked the food and gardening sections and the part about how to build your own bird platform (akin to a feeder, I believe). The only con was that this was published in England, so there were a few teeny cultural differences. All in all a helpful :bible" for those interested in consuming less. (Lots of helpful pics and diagrams, which I loved!)
Christiana
Apr 03, 2009 Christiana rated it liked it
Shelves: adult-non-fic
Listen, dudes, I am all for saving the planet. But this book makes me look like a jerk. I'm just not going to stop washing my hair, even though if I wait six weeks, it'll start naturally ridding itself of oil. There will also never be a wormery in my house.

It has made me think more about using goodwill and secondhand resources and only buying what I really truly need. I just am not ready to use hemp sheets instead of cotton.
Serendipitychild
Nov 09, 2012 Serendipitychild rated it it was amazing
Excellent book for those who fantasise about living the good life. Some very useful tips and information. Some information less useful if you don't have much money or live in a flat in inner city london, but still great for a good fantasy.
Dioscita
Jun 24, 2009 Dioscita rated it liked it
More for newbies to this kind of thinking/being, but still user-friendly and easy to breeze through in a few hours. I consider this book more about greening one's lifestyle than actual self-sufficient-ish-ness, but that's a minor quibble, really...
Kyle
Dec 09, 2012 Kyle rated it liked it
Shelves: sustainability
Nice tone, lots of ideas. Mostly about gardening and tips to buy completely new appliances and housing.

Creepy pictures of middle age balding longhair twins gleefully posing.

Nicole
Jun 28, 2013 Nicole rated it liked it
Very good & cute too. From a "green" perspective more than "urban homestead" & very informative.
Susan Tomi
Jan 12, 2013 Susan Tomi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didnt finish it but I want to own it, great info
Donna
Jul 09, 2012 Donna rated it it was amazing
Sparked a whole new life-style! This is one powerful book
Ashley
Aug 12, 2011 Ashley rated it did not like it
Reference book. Not for beginners.
Nicole Kapise-Perkins
Nicole Kapise-Perkins marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Siobhan Reilly
Siobhan Reilly rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2016
Anne Bearne
Anne Bearne rated it it was ok
Jul 10, 2016
Brooke Allen
Brooke Allen marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Atlas
Atlas marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Chella
Chella marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Heather Corey
Heather Corey marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Ingrid Werner
Ingrid Werner marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Zach
Zach marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Amy Sjoquist
Amy Sjoquist marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Nabil
Nabil marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Carrie Niemi
Carrie Niemi marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
  • Garden Anywhere: How to grow gorgeous container gardens, herb gardens, kitchen gardens, and more, without spending a fortune
  • The Complete Compost Gardening Guide: Banner Batches, Grow Heaps, Comforter Compost, and Other Amazing Techniques for Saving Time and Money, and Producing the Most Flavorful, Nutritious Vegetables Ever
  • The Essential Urban Farmer
  • Urban Homesteading: Heirloom Skills for Sustainable Living
  • Don't Throw It, Grow It!: 68 Windowsill Plants From Kitchen Scraps
  • Little House in the Suburbs: Backyard Farming and Home Skills for Self-Sufficient Living
  • Self Sufficiency for the 21st Century
  • Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food in Hard Times
  • Eat More Dirt: Diverting and Instructive Tips for Growing and Tending an Organic Garden
  • The Self-Sufficient Gardener
  • Edible Landscaping
  • Fresh Food from Small Spaces: The Square-Inch Gardener's Guide to Year-Round Growing, Fermenting, and Sprouting
  • The Hip Girl's Guide to Homemaking: Decorating, Dining, and the Gratifying Pleasures of Self-Sufficiency--on a Budget!
  • The Urban Homestead: Your Guide to Self-sufficient Living in the Heart of the City (Process Self-Reliance Series)
  • Easy Green Living: The Ultimate Guide to Simple, Eco-Friendly Choices for You and Your Home
  • Food Not Lawns: How to Turn Your Yard Into a Garden and Your Neighborhood Into a Community
  • A Nation of Farmers: Defeating the Food Crisis on American Soil
I've had many jobs, including shirt lifting, changing the best before dates on frozen meat and reading out very badly written scripts to get people to part with money on the telephone.

I now waltz around drinking cups of tea telling people I'm an author. In fact occasionally it's even better than that and I've been paid just to drink beer. I crop up on TV and talk on the radio and very occasionall
More about Andy Hamilton...