Start by marking “Scoot!” as Want to Read:

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  42 reviews
While their neighbors in the pond . . .

leap! lurch! scamper! and splash!

six silent turtles sit still as stones.

Will the turtles ever move?

Read this book and find out.

What are you waiting for?

Published February 26th 2008 by Greenwillow Books

To ask other readers questions about Scoot!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scoot!

Linda
This is a delightful book, in rhyme, about a pond and all the wonderful creatures that live there, among them six silent turtles who do very little for most of the book, but sit idly on a log and watch everyone else. Cathryn Falwell’s illustrations are gorgeous, filling her pages with almost 3-d images. She uses special ways to gain texture (like in the tree trunks) and explains how in the back of the book. The poetry comes naturally between pauses that look at those six turtles sitting still as ...more
Nancy O'Toole
Scoot tells the story of a small pond filled with life, and six turtles that remain still. It's not until the wind picks up that the six turtles are forced to move away. Fallwell use of collages brings a unique texture to the story that gives the animals a lifelike quality. Readers may be surprised that when they touch the textured pieces that it still feels smooth. The author uses repetition to tell the story of the turtles, focusing on the life and liveliness of the other animals, but always r ...more
Samantha Van
Title: Scoot
Author: Cathryn Falwell

Artistic Media Used: Collage

A Brief Summary: This book is about 6 little turtles on a log. These turtles are quiet and motionless. All the animals are moving around these turtles. The waves pick up and then the turtles finally move. They move quickly away from the waves.

Analysis of Art
Texture: The reader can tell that the pictures are made out of paper. Especially the trees and landscaping, you almost wish you could touch it.
Color: The story is very colorful
Andrea
Such gorgeous artwork! Simple, rhyming text, and I love the "how to" printing techniques at the end.
Shamekia
Gorgeous illustrations, but didn't work well for my storytime.
Molly
Beautiful rhyming book about turtles in a pond.
Susanna S571
Beautiful collage artwork. It's definitely aimed at younger readers and pre-readers. It would be good for helping to learn vocabulary and alliteration. I think if I had read it on its own and not at the same time as a few other picturebooks that I enjoyed more, it would have been more memorable for me. As it was, it completely slipped my mind until I came onto Goodreads to review my latest stack of books.
Jennie
Cathryn Falwell playfully describes the actions of various animals bustling in Frog Song Pond. While the other animals are active, six turtles rest silently on a log until a strong wind sends them scurrying away.

Nice selection for young children interested in wild life. The lyrical rhyme of the book makes it an enjoyable read aloud. Also the back pages provide several learning extensions.
Deborah Harris
Apr 13, 2012 Deborah Harris added it
Shelves: a36
I like this book, it talks about animal behavior in simple sentences. Noun and verb. Beetles creep. The turtles sit silent as stones. The variety of verbs in this text will lend itself to lessons about action words. Each page has a variety of animals students can find and count the animals. The animals appear through out the text so it could lend itself to an addition lesson. grades K - 2nd.
Susan
0-7
nice pond rhymes about all the life and movement of a pond. while the "green frogs leap. beatles creep. finches purch. herons lurch." etc, the "six green turtles sit still as stones" -- we meet a variety of pond animals...and the turtles remain silent and still until a gust of wind takes their log down the stream. The illustrations are in colorful paper collages.
Kelli
Paper art illustrations about a summer pond. Great for vocabulary. Not a story, though there is a simple repetitive phrase that ties it together and offers a conclusion.
"Wriggle! Waggle! Scuttle! Skim! On every reed and stone and limb! But the six silent turtles sit still as stones."
Toddler through early elementary.
Meg McGregor
Green frogs leap...

Beetles creep...

Finches perch...

Herons creep...

But the six silent turtles sit still as stones

until ???

Fabulous use of language and illustrations that take you right into the pond setting will make this book a favorite at story time.
Kixie
Gorgeous artwork, and fun text it's based on. Love the "notes" at the end, which may serve as an entry point for older readers who may enjoy the artwork--it tells them how to create their own--as well as talking more about the animals she's illustrated.
Dolly
Jul 18, 2009 Dolly rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Fun, sing-song narrative and gorgeous paper collage illustrations make this a wonderful book to read aloud with children, pointing out all the neat creatures along the way. The alliteration and onomatopoeia are really fun and we've read this one a few times.
Kate Hastings
Dec 26, 2008 Kate Hastings rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Toddlers Preschool Kindergarten Preliteracy skills
Beautiful illustrations compliment rhyming and alliterative text. Six silent turtles sit still as stones while other animals dance around them. Wonderful for nature centers/ nature storytimes. Identification and facts about the animals on the last page.
Darla
I adored the wonderful collage artwork that incorporates actual pieces of nature (a found piece of wasp nest used in the wasp nest)into the design. The rhythmic story would be wonderful for storytime and I loved the author's notes in the back.
Kelly
This is a cute story with vibrant illustrations. It has a lot of fun words to read aloud. For example: "Wriggle! Waggle! Scuttle! Skim!" I also like the details at the end about the animals, for kids who want to learn more.
Bree Bosse
This is a beautifully illustrated repetitive, rhyming book. It has wonderful adjectives and descriptive words. It also gives many examples of animals/birds/bugs/etc. that live near bonds. WOULD BE A GREAT READ ALOUD.
Molly
This is just not a Molly book. I try to like books like this but I struggle. I did like the rhyme of it but animals in nature doing there thing just does not excite me and I rarely find a person to give it to. Ages 3+
Leigh
another mock caldecott title. Busy drawings and uninteresting text, I didn't care for it much. A bunch of turtles stay still at a pond, while all the other creatures scurry around them. Whatever.
Kim Miller
The powerful words in this book really make the pictures come alive. I like the last two pages where it talking about the animal named in the book. This could be a good book for a new reader.
Tamsyn
Glorious cut-paper, textured, colorful pictures, excellent vocabulary in an (unforced) rhyming text of animals in and around a pond on a summer's day in Maine. Wonderful use of perspective.
Paula
bold and colorful illustrations great for story time
Six silent turtles sit still as stones on a log, as energetic movement by the other animals in the pond happens all around them.
Suzanne
I really enjoyed this book! The author uses a lot of sounds and movements to make the book come to life. There's so much activity everywhere that we never get to see. Wonderful read!
Bill Prosser
Caldecott worthy. The pictures and text are outstanding and I like the factual info in the back. I especially like that the artist shows how different textures in painting can be created.
Edna
Althought the illustrations are a bit busy and complicated the story introduces animals, reptiles and insects that live near a pond with short rhyming explicative text.
Madonna
Great book to read for rhyming and fun sound words! This book can be read well with a lot of fun action words and sounds. Pre-K through 1st grade.
Sandybear76
This book would be good for the preschool and Kindergarten classes. I liked the sounds all the animals but the turtles were silent till the ending.
Julie
Cute poem, excellent art. I love that the author includes science and art notes at the end. We're going to do some art projects using her methods.
Judy
A little counting, lots of adjectives and some rhymes. Good information in the back couple pages on "Notes from Frog Song Pond".
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • In a Blue Room
  • A Kitten Tale
  • Flip, Flap, Fly!: A Book for Babies Everywhere
  • Wolf's Coming! (Carolrhoda Picture Books)
  • Move Over, Rover!
  • The Trouble With Dragons
  • The Three Little Fish And The Big Bad Shark
  • Meow Said the Cow
  • Little Hoot
Feast for 10 Turtle Splash!: Countdown at the Pond Rainbow Stew Shape Capers Gobble, Gobble