Along the Shore: Tales by the Sea

Along the Shore: Tales by the Sea

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  1,253 ratings  ·  40 reviews
"Along The Shore: Tales by the Sea" is the second charming collection of L.M. Montgomery's rediscovered stories to be reprinted from Rea Wilmshurst's collection. A companion to "Akin to Anne: Tales of Other Orphans," this book offers a wide-ranging selection of Montgomery's tales that exemplify her story-telling art. Linked by the presence of the sea, these sixteen tales a...more
Published February 1st 1990 by McClelland & Stewart (first published May 13th 1989)

Elinor  Loredan
Some of the stories are rather depressing-not even beautifully sad, but plain depressing. This collection is a little tiring because most of the stories involve good resulting from someone being rescued from the perils of the sea, and are copies of some of LMM's novels. I won't revisit this one as much as other LMM books, and it's my least favorite collection of her short stories so far, after Chronicles of Avonlea, At the Altar, The Doctor's Sweetheart, and Among the Shadows.
(And does every on...more
Sakura Yue Michaelis
It is so hard to say/think/write this, but I am a bit disappointed with this collection of stories. I am a hardcore fan of LMM and I know she was an exceptional writer, no doubt in that area. Her descriptions in these stories are wonderful as always; to me, every time I read her books is like visiting an old friend. It is like I've met these characters before, and like I've been in those places before.

Alas, not in this book. The characters at least. Except maybe for a couple of them, because the...more
Rosalba
This collection revolves around stories connected with the sea, and, being in love with L.M. Montgomery's books, I was none too glad this was our December selection over at the L.M. Montgomery Book Club here on Goodreads.
I liked this stories, although not as I had liked other collections, say, the Chronicles of Avonlea. Perhaps it was not the wisest choice to collect L.M. Montgomery' s short stories in themes, it makes reading them monotonous. Some of them repeat the same formula, such as a ha...more
Christina
As with all the collections, there are some good, some bad stories here. I tend to prefer Montgomery with a lighter touch (except when she goes REALLY REALLY dark, which is why I like the "Emily" trilogy and the "Among the Shadows" collection best), by which I mean the stories that just breeze along (heroic doggies! Ministers who wear raincoats! Love affairs conducted through telescopes using sign language!). Otherwise you get stuck with people who say "hitherto" in conversation and a lot of des...more
Kerry
I was mildly disappointed in this collection of stories. Don't get me wrong, the stories were good. Its just that that the author recycled characters and plots from her earlier short stories for her books. So as I read these stories, I was reading (in some cases word for word) excerpts from books I had already read and I was hoping for something new. Captain Jim from Anne's House of Dreams, Paul Irving from Anne of Avonlea, even shades of Barney Snaith from the Blue Castle.... they are all in he...more
Delicious Strawberry
I have to say that this collection was a bit better than 'The Doctor's Sweetheart' and 'Among the Shadows', though I didn't like two stories 'The Awakening of Helen' and 'A House Divided'. I know that most of these stories were written about a hundred years ago, but I was dismayed at the use of the 'n' word in the latter story I mentioned. But some of the other stories were good reads. If you're a LM Montgomery fan, then you should check out this collection. There's a few not-so-good stories, bu...more
Kerith
Many of the LM Montgomery short story anthologies can read fairly redundantly, since editor Rea Wilmshurst has grouped many of them into themes. This group of stories is less so - the theme is of stories by the sea, a place close to Montgomery's heart, and therefore the stories range from romances to children's tales to those of family love, all closely linked by place. Romances do tend to lead the way, of course, as she certainly does those best. Some characters will seem familiar (Paul and Nor...more
Sue
I like her short stories. They vary in quality, and don't all have happy endings, and these stories all related to the ocean. I enjoyed "The Life-Book of Uncle Jesse" published in 1909 that told of an old sailor whose wonderful stories were published for the world to read. I also liked "Four Winds" which was the longest and had more character development. It was about a young minister who falls in love with a relusive girl with a mystery and then ends with a twist. I don't read short stories all...more
I don't like her short stories nearly as well as her novels because it seems like the point you get into the story, it's over. The are nice when you don't have a lot of time to devote to reading and I tend to read these as a story here and there while reading other books (I even set it aside for a bit). It's cool that her short stories are edited into themed anthologies. I noticed a few of the stories in this one are weaved into her later books...more fleshed out. I do love her descriptions of n...more
Anna
This collection of stories is somewhat uneven. My favorites are the witty like "Fair exchange" and the pleasant like "Unhappiness of Miss Farquar" while I dislike the unhappy and depressing like "The Awakening of Helen". This collection also has a lot of stories that made it into Montgomery's novels so if like me you have read all the novels several times those will seem a bit repetitious, although it is interesting to see the changes made when they became part of the various larger works.
JG (The Introverted Reader)
These stories are primarily ones that never saw the light of day after being published in magazines in Montgomery's lifetime. There's a reason for that. I love reading more my L.M. Montgomery, but these are not my favorites. Maybe because they're grouped together by theme? The stories get very repetitive. And some of the stories showed up as scenes in her books. Fans of Montgomery should read these, but don't pick this up expecting to fall in love with it.
Tara
3.5 stars. Some beautiful stories, some witty ones, some simplistic ones. It's interesting reading a lot of Montgomery's short stories in a row, because they're often similar. Enough so that I can predict the outcome of most of the stories. But her writing style is still beautiful (although I only thought of it as "slow" when I was 12). Definitely a different pace, but almost always a feel-good story.
Charity
Jun 25, 2008 Charity rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves the Anne of Green Gables series
Yet another great book by the author of the Anne of Green Gables series! Here in this book are many short stories written by L. M. Montgomery, that were for various magazines of her time; amazingly enough if you've read the Anne of Green Gables stories, you'll likely reconize MANY of the short stories in this book, that helped create the series.
Kimberly
I'm not much of a short story person...I'm not sure why. I did, however, enjoy many of the stories in this collection. From reading some of the other reviews here, I have to agree that fans of L.M. Montgomery will either love this book because it's more Montgomery, or they will be unsatisfied with the recycling of some of her characters/plots.
Marlo
I finally had to give up on finishing this book. I wanted to like it, to become emotionally invested in the characters like I was with other novels by L.M. Montgomery. There just wasn't enough there. Some of the short stories were sweet and touching, but most were saccharine. The lighthouse story was probably the only one I would recommend.
Kate
One of my favorite collections of Montgomery's short stories. The woman loved the sea, and it sparks up the short stories, most of which were written for cash from magazines and tailored to specific audiences. The shore lifestyles appeal to me more than the farmland stories, so I prefer these stories to many of her others.
Leslie
A lovely read for any Montgomery fan. It isn't my favorite collection of hers but it is interesting to compare these earlier writings to her later ones. You can see the depth that she developed as a writer over the years. You can also see where the best of the stories ended up in her novels.
Heidi
I love Montgomery's short stories! I love her writing, but I don't always have time to read an entire story. Short stories are the best solutions. And she is still just as descriptive of scenery and forms great characters. I especially like this one with all of the seaside settings.
Heather
As with all books of short stories, some are better than others but I enjoyed most of these.

'A Sandshore Wooing', is LM Montgomery's love story at its quirky best! And 'Four Winds' is her best classic love story.
Emily
The stories are well-written, and I wished that some of them could go on longer. Some of the personalities and settings would be familiar to someone who has read more of Montgomery's works, but they were well done.
Megan
This book is a collection of short stories and is really very sweet. If you've read the Anne series then you will be able to recognize LM's style pretty quickly, but that doesn't make it any less fun to read.
Roxanne
A collection of short stories, all with an ocean theme, by the author of Anne of Green Gables. I really love Montgomery's work so I was delighted to find a book of hers I hadn't read yet.
AlixJamie
Though some of these stories I had already read in her novels, there were new ones that really showcase Montgomrey's descriptive prowess and strong characters. Truly enjoyable!
Zaiga
what can I say...I love her writing, and I love the sea. This set of short stories may be old fashioned and romantic, but I will continue to read it again and again :)
Lady Ambrosia
Jun 25, 2008 Lady Ambrosia rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
This is a great book, filled with short stories, written by the author of Anne of Green Gables. It's a great add to any girls' collection.
Same review for all of these books - I loved LM Montgomery's short story collections as a young girl. I read several of them :)
Betty
Love these stories written in Montgomery's delightful style. I'm always certain of feeling good after one of her books.
Grete
Several of the stories are from quite early in Montgomery's career (c 1900). My favorite is "The Wakening of Helen."
Megan
Two of the chapters contain stories that appear (almost word for word) in her other books.
Sally Hintze
A collection of short stories taking place near the ocean...by the author of Anne of Green Gables.
  • The Journey Begins (Road to Avonlea, #1)
  • Lucy Maud Montgomery: The Gift of Wings
  • Heidi's Children
  • Looking for Anne of Green Gables: The Story of L. M. Montgomery and Her Literary Classic
  • The Four-Story Mistake (The Melendy Family, #2)
  • L.M. Montgomery's Anne of Green Gables (All Aboard Reading)
  • Tales of the North
  • Thursday's Child
  • Five Little Peppers Midway (Five Little Peppers, #2)
  • Jack and Jill
  • Lady Margaret's Ghost: A Felicity Mystery (American Girl Mysteries (Quality))
  • The Mystery of the Memorial Day Fire (Trixie Belden #35)
  • Belles on Their Toes
  • Cherry Ames, Army Nurse (Cherry Ames, #3)
  • Changes for Josefina: A Winter Story
  • Julie
  • My Cousin Caroline (The Pemberley Chronicles #6)
Lucy Maud Montgomery was a Canadian author, best known for a series of novels beginning with Anne of Green Gables, published in 1908.

The author of the famous Canadian novel Anne of Green Gables, Lucy Maud Montgomery, was born at Clifton, Prince Edward Island, Nov. 30, 1874. She came to live at Leaskdale, north of Uxbridge Ontario, in 1911 after her wedding with Rev. Ewen Macdonald on July 11, 1911...more
More about L.M. Montgomery...
Anne of Green Gables (Anne of Green Gables, #1) The Complete Anne of Green Gables Boxed Set (Anne of Green Gables, #1-8) Anne of the Island (Anne of Green Gables, #3) Anne of Avonlea (Anne of Green Gables, #2) Anne's House of Dreams (Anne of Green Gables, #5)