Start by marking “Living On The Devil's Doorstep” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Living On The Devil's ...

Floyd McClung

Living On The Devil's Doorstep

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  327 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Amazing true stories of spiritual victory and personal triumph.

On every continent, in every nation, God is at work in and through the lives of believers. From the streets of Amsterdam to remote Pacific islands to the jungles of Ecuador and beyond, each international adventure that emerges is a dramatic episode that could be directed only by the hand of God

Published (first published July 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Living On The Devil's Doorstep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living On The Devil's Doorstep

Dawn Roberts
Aug 06, 2013 Dawn Roberts rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was not what I was expecting when I saw it was about missionaries in Afghanistan. Rather than a contemporary account of witnessing to Muslims in a war zone, this follows a young Christian couple who hit the Hippy Trail from Amsterdam to Nepal in the early 1970s. They established a ministry to strung-out western Travelers in Kabul, then moved back up the trail to Amsterdam, where they raised their children in the Red Light district. Amazing stories of compassion and God's grace. How coo ...more
Tim Dorman
Jan 11, 2011 Tim Dorman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christianity
Living on the Devils Doorstep is one of the most inspiring books that I have ever read. It has been years since I read this book and yet the rememberance of it still burns in my mind. I remember vividly the years the McClung's spent in both Afghanistan and in Amsterdam, Holland. The Afghanistan portion of their journey takes them to the drug infested Hashish capital of the world to the prostition capital of the world in Amsterdam. Throughout their ministry they go where few people have wanted to ...more
Onysha
Nov 02, 2014 Onysha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book made me feel like dropping everything to go to YWAM for training. Made me feel like reviving that crazy childhood dream of being a missionary again. It has interesting things to say about the hippie culture. I never knew the hippie trails existed until I read this book. The McClungs have fascinating stories to share about working with the hippies, as well as insight on how to live the missionary life. I appreciate that Floyd McClung wrote on how he realized that his relationship with h ...more
Dwight Walker
Excellent story of Christian work in very difficult areas like Amsterdam drug areas and Afghanistan. It inspired me.
Angus Whittaker
A good missionary story - very inspiring. It's obvious that Floyd McClung has a LOT of faith, and it's encouraging to read his story. However, the book is very lacking in the writing department, coming off as a little condescending and a lot amateur. His frequent use of the exclamation mark annoyed me.
Megan
Jul 31, 2014 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well-written and inspiring
Rebs
Jul 16, 2011 Rebs rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book a few years ago. It was a gift from my friend, April. I ended up trying a new church a couple sundays after I read it and Floyd and Sally happened to be the guest speakers. Very cool. Now I have a dear friend serving with them in SA from my church. Their story is deeply humbling to me....reminds me that I have wasted much of my life on things that really have nothing to do with furthering the Kingdom....and encourages me to keep keeping on to try and not waste my life from this ...more
Nicki
Jan 08, 2015 Nicki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
This was my second read through and it's still amazing. I love the vision, the truth and the stories of faith!!! Such an inspiring read that makes me want to get out in the world and radically love people.
Jennie
Jan 07, 2013 Jennie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reaching out to the lost in far reaches of Asia and in Amsterdam... This book inspires me to work towards having an open and loving home, to be completely hospitable, to seek people who are lost, and bring them to into the loving and forgiving arms of Jesus. This family are truly after God's heart
Sheryl
Aug 15, 2012 Sheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recommend this book! Really appreciated the author's stance on the safest place for a Christian to be is in the center of God's will. Challenging for parents -- sometimes, the center of God's will is in a place that doesn't seem, in our human minds, to be the best place to raise children.
Karen L.
Mar 07, 2008 Karen L. rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Radical Christians
Recommended to Karen L. by: YWAM
McClung is a good story teller. This book takes you through his young families' life as Christians living in Amsterdam near the "Red Light District." These folks literally lived on the Devil's doorstep, yet reached many lives for Christ in their bold choice to live there. Emergents: read this!!
Kristofer Strid
May 25, 2015 Kristofer Strid rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very challenging book and at the same time inspiring with what God wants to do to reach out to a world that is lost without Him. And He wants to use you and me, even if we're like broken vessels, He is the one that can mend us together and make His glory shown. If we allow Him to!
Timothy L.
I liked this book. I enjoy autobiographies/biographies... Of course we get the high points of what really happened but certainly there is a place for looking at things this way. This is definitely an encouraging book.
Tiffany Parente Connors
I have read & reread this book every spring/summer for the past 5 years. It's not particularly well written but it is very inspiring. About faith, love and the amazing ways God (repeatedly) works.
Valerie
Apr 06, 2012 Valerie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
read this in my early 20's and at the time it made a permanent impact on me, partly for personal reasons. should go back to it again 10+ years later and see how it feels...
Kjersti
Jul 11, 2010 Kjersti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I grew up with this book, and for the longest time my carreer aspiration was to work with hippies in Amsterdam. :)

Seriously though, this is one good story. Read it!
Summer Vespestad
Please read this book. You will be inspired.
Kelly
Sep 03, 2008 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read this book twice. It is a powerful testament to the Lord's power.
Katie  Wornson
would definitely read it again. and that's saying something!
ANC Recommended Reading
Recommended by Pastor L, 2006
Ehab Roufail
Dec 14, 2012 Ehab Roufail rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An amazingly inspiring read.
Zoraida Perez
Zoraida Perez marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Diocletian
Diocletian marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Serena
Serena marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Marlene Gildenhuys
Marlene Gildenhuys rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2016
MystReader
MystReader rated it really liked it
May 16, 2016
Gary Martin
Gary Martin rated it really liked it
May 14, 2016
Ruthie
Ruthie added it
May 14, 2016
Ann Kieser
Ann Kieser marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
  • Torches of Joy: International Adventures
  • There's a Sheep in my Bathtub: Birth of a Mongolian Church Planting Movement
  • Is That Really You, God?: Hearing the Voice of God
  • From Jerusalem to Irian Jaya: A Biographical History of Christian Missions
  • Lords of the Earth
  • Albert Einstein and the Theory of Relativity Albert Einstein and the Theory of Relativity
  • In Search of the Source: A First Encounter with God's Word
  • Made You Look: How Advertising Works and Why You Should Know
  • C. T. Studd, Cricketer and Pioneer
  • It's a Jungle Out There (The Rani Adventures, #1)
  • Bruchko and the Motilone Miracle
  • The Road from Home: A True Story of Courage, Survival, and Hope
  • Vanya: A true story of Ivan Moiseyev, persecuted for his faith
  • Secret Believers: What Happens When Muslims Believe in Christ
  • Chasing the Dragon: One Woman's Struggle Against the Darkness of Hong Kong's Drug Den
  • Foreign to Familiar: A Guide to Understanding Hot - And Cold - Climate Cultures
  • Death of a Guru
  • Cameron Townsend: Good News in Every Language (Christian Heroes: Then & Now)
Floyd McClung Jr. is the senior pastor of a large, growing church in Kansas City, Missouri, and the international director of All Nations Family. He has lectured on more than 100 university campuses and traveled in more than 175 countries.
More about Floyd McClung...