Start by marking “The Rivals (Bitter Creek, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Rivals (Bitter Creek, #5)

The Rivals (Bitter Creek #5)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  502 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews

New York Times bestselling author Joan Johnston brings to life an unforgettable love story between two strong-willed people from different worlds in her thrilling new novel featuring the Blackthornes of Bitter Creek, Texas, and their formidable rivals, the Grayhawks of Wyoming.

Juggling single motherhood and her job as deputy sheriff of Teton County, Sarah Barndollar hasn
Published September 1st 2004 by Pocket Books (first published August 31st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Rivals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rivals

charmaine White
May 15, 2015 charmaine White rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Better and better

I think I am going to end up reading as much of this series as I can right now. On to next Book
♥ Vonda M. Reid ♥
Dec 30, 2014 ♥ Vonda M. Reid ♥ rated it really liked it
Overall Rating: 3.95
Action: 4.0 / Emotion: 2.5 / Romance: 3.5 / Sensuous: 1.5 / Suspense: 3.5 // Laughter: 0 / Tears: 0

The Rivals: 3.95:
Found this book to be entertaining, intriguing, and enjoyable simply because Joan Johnston's storytelling style holds appeal. The lack of character development for the main hero and heroine was minimal, so the book was not as good as it could have been.

Hero: 2.0:
Drew DeWitt: The only reason a reader would know much about Drew was if they had read The Price first
Mikaela  Bottaro
Sep 16, 2015 Mikaela Bottaro rated it liked it
Miss Kim
Nov 23, 2008 Miss Kim rated it liked it
Recommended to Miss Kim by: continuation of a series
This is Drew DeWitt's story. He is a first cousin to the Blackthornes. I never warmed to him in the previous book, and I didn't really in this one either. He is a rich playboy who leaves the city to his ranch in Jackson Hole, Wyoming to nurse a broken heart.

Sarah is a recent widow with three kids. She is a cop in the small town investigating the disappearance of a young woman. There is a lot of focus on her children--not one of my favorite things in a romance.

Somehow we are supposed to believe
Tonya Lucas
Mar 02, 2015 Tonya Lucas rated it it was amazing
The Rivals heats up the Bitter Creek series with a lightening turn of events. Joan Johnston knows how to write a story filled with greed, animosity, backstabbing murder, and deception. Among some hot and heavy sex and the adventure awaits the reader. So grab The Rivals and hold on for an explosive ride!!! 5 stars!!!!!
Medavis66
Feb 03, 2015 Medavis66 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really liked the stories going on in this one. So interesting and inter-woven they just made sense. I'm grabbing the next one in the series. This series is addicting! Really loved reading more of Drew after getting to know him a little in The Price.
Emily
Deputy Sheriff Sarah Barndollar finds herself emersed in turmoil as her husband has been missing for a year and a half, presumed dead, her three children are wanting more of her time, and playboy Drew DeWitt has set his eye on her. As if that weren't enough another girl has gone missing who happens to be from a prominent family and Drew is determined to help Sarah during the investigation.

I thought this was a good book, it had a couple separate plots going on though as Clay and Libby were a big
Willow
Sep 06, 2010 Willow rated it liked it
First book I red from this author. Not bad, a bit confusing at times on who was who, but i also didn't know there were 4 books before this one. Gave it a 3 because I had to many questions at the end, no story line on why the people who kidnapped all the prior girls were ever really investigated or discussed. So no closure on many of the inner stories at the end of this book. That I didn't like.
Alisa
Jan 16, 2013 Alisa rated it it was ok
Picked this up free at the library. It had a little too much "romance" in it for me. The mytery was somewhat intriguing which kept me reading to the end, but some of the characters were over-the-top in their perfectness and how fast things could happen...and I had to skip over several sex scenes... not my cup of tea.
Robyn
Jul 23, 2013 Robyn rated it liked it
Not one of my favorites from this series. I found myself just reading to find out how it ended. And since one story line didn't come to an end, I will probably read the next one in the series. IF anything this was a good summer, no brain needed, read.
Judy Smith
Apr 05, 2013 Judy Smith rated it it was amazing
This is the second time I've read this series. This time I got to read it in order and all the books at the same time. A great read both times but I've enjoyed it much better this time around! I'm on the last book!
Christel
Mar 28, 2009 Christel rated it really liked it
Shelves: joan-johnston
This one is not my favorite of the series but it was okay. This story is about Drew DeWitt. I just did not care for him from the last book but he sorta redeems himself in this one.
Connie
Jan 14, 2011 Connie rated it really liked it
Good quick story, It has energy and of course a love story. I really didn't figure out who was the culprit of the disappearences until the last couple of chapters. Good Book!
Alicia
Aug 03, 2011 Alicia rated it liked it
I really liked this book. It kept me interested especially towards the end she left cliff hangers at the end of each chapter and wouldn't answer them till the end.
Jodi
May 22, 2010 Jodi rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2010
This was more intense than the earlier books for some reason! Really liked that the sheriff's deputy in the book was a woman!
Marianne
May 12, 2011 Marianne rated it it was ok
Ho-hum. Not much to rave about. Seemed like a filler, between the former and the latter books.
Trish Ruthven
a quick easy read.
Jackie Simons
Read 3/08
Ms.Camille
Ms.Camille rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2016
Len
Len added it
Feb 10, 2016
Lily
Lily rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2016
Jane
Jane rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2016
Jamie
Jamie rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2016
Pauline Frost
Pauline Frost marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
  • The Rustler (Stone Creek, #3)
  • Lone Star Christmas (Hawk's Way, #11; Long, Tall Texans, #18)
  • Montana Destiny
  • Always Look Twice (Callahan Brothers, #3)
  • The Lone Texan (Whispering Mountain, #4)
Joan Johnston (born Little Rock, Arkansas) is a best-selling American author of over forty contemporary and historical romance novels.

Johnston was the third of seven children born to an Air Force sergeant and his music-teacher wife. She received a B.A. in theatre arts from Jacksonville University in 1970, then earning an M.A. in theatre from the University of Illinois, Urbana in 1971. She received
More about Joan Johnston...

Bitter Creek (10 books)
  • The Cowboy (Bitter Creek #1)
  • The Texan (Bitter Creek, #2)
  • The Loner (Bitter Creek, #3)
  • The Price (Bitter Creek, #4)
  • The Next Mrs. Blackthorne (Bitter Creek, #6)
  • A Stranger's Game (Bitter Creek, #7)
  • Shattered (Bitter Creek, #8)
  • Sinful (Bitter Creek, #9)
  • Shameless (Bitter Creek #10)