Start by marking “Father of Dragons (Ballot's Keep, #1)” as Want to Read:
Father of Dragons (Ballot's Keep, #1)

Father of Dragons (Ballot's Keep #1)

After his lover is executed for the simple crime of being a commoner, Xeras, a young nobleman of Tirrin, turns his back on his life of privilege and flees into the wilderness. Weighed down with grief, exhaustion and hunger, Xeras awakens from one confusing night in the forest with the ghostly voice of his lover in his headand the embryo of a dragon implanted in his side. ...more
Published June 1st 2008 by Samhain Publishing (first published June 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Father of Dragons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Father of Dragons

Elisa Rolle
As always Emily Veinglory surprises me... and as aways it's a good surprise.

Father of Dragons is not the usual fantasy gay romance. Even if the main character is a high born man who loves man, sex is not the mainly aspect of this novel. And though I like my sex scenes, I don't find any lack in this romance. It has enthralled me from the very first page and Xeras is one of the best character I have found lately.

Xeras is a man born in a wealthy and noble family. He has made the error to fall in lo
Don Bradshaw
Jun 23, 2010 Don Bradshaw rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gay-romance
This book was plain fun to read. Xeras,a highborn,leaves his ancestral home after his lover, a commoner,is put to death for falling in love with a highborn. Xeras struggles his way overland not really going any where in particular. He takes to a cave for the night that is inhabited by a dragon and without the graphic details, wakes to find his clothes shredded and himself impregnated with a dragon's egg in his side. The famale dragon long gone, the great Rock Dragon explains things to a slightly ...more
Suuanda
Sep 28, 2015 Suuanda rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy, glbt
I hesitated before writing this review, because I don't really like to flame new struggling authors (and authors who write slash), but I think people need to be sure of what they buy, after all.
So I'll say it all depends on what you're after. If you thought "cool ! Dragons and slashy smex!" well, I'm sorry to disappoint you, but it's not that kind of literature.
I, for one, was more interested in the dragons and their relationships with the humans (more than the slash itself), but alas it was not
Bookwatcher
May 08, 2012 Bookwatcher rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dragons fans
Can a bitter protagonist win the readers heart?

Oh yes... I would say YES! Xeras can do it!

The plot
Xeras is running from his origins, past and.. himself. He don't want to think about his life, his lost, his... desperation.
In a fantasy land, where magic and dragons are present Xeras will have to deal with both... in his angry and sad way.
He is the only narrator, so don't read it if you want a happy and cheerful voice.
And BTW don't read it even if you want a romance. It's a fantasy, with a possib
Camilla
Jan 31, 2012 Camilla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle

This is hard to review.. Because I liked the story, except the ending and one of the main charcters..

But other than that? Pretty good..

Its about Xeras, a fugitive from his homeland, who meets a dragon, gets pregnant (without him knowing) by it. He has his former lover, who is now dead, talking to him in his mind, guiding him along the way..

He meets a duke, Carly, at one point. And kinda falls for him. But Xeras knows that if he really falls in love with Carly, Drin, his former lover, will disap
Brenda (b)
This is a fantasy story, it's not a romance but a relationship did develop between Xeras and Carly. It's the story of a man finding a reason to continue living after losing his lover. A story of dragons and magic and restoring a balance to a magical world.

This wasn't a light tale, but one full of self doubt, grief and regret. As I read I was held captive by Xeras and his tale. I wanted to see how things would resolve themselves with the dragon get he carried, with Carly and Ballot's Keep and wi
LD  Durham
Apr 05, 2009 LD Durham rated it liked it
Interesting story. I was impressed with its complexity and the very real world Veinglory created. Xeras is a fun character to follow around, even during his darkest and most painful moments. Veinglory has an awesome gift for dry sarcasm and wit and she really gets to showcase that gift here.

The dragons were mighty and well utilized. The romance was sweet and hard at the same time. The adventure was believable and intriguing.

My only quibble is that the story just stopped. It didn't end, it stop
Nene
Jan 10, 2011 Nene rated it really liked it
Well, this was a 3 star read for me until the very end, but I liked the last bit so much that I bumped it up to 4 stars. The problem for me was that Xeras just seemed flat. But then I wonder if he wasn't kinda supposed to? I dunno, but it made it really hard to connect with him as a character, which in turn made it really hard to connect to the story. It also took a bit to figure out who Drin was, and that whole scenario was never really explained to my satisfaction.

But the dragon bits were int
Cynicaltomboy
Dec 15, 2013 Cynicaltomboy rated it it was ok
The writing quality was fairly good. However, it just went on and on and on. I like a believable plot scenario where the character's plans only sometimes work out, but this character kept screwing up over and over again. And then every other character reminded him constantly that his plans sucked and he should listen to other people. I like it when a character works through their weaknesses, but this was just depressing. It seemed every decision was not just a bad one, but catastrophic. Not a ...more
AE
Jun 05, 2015 AE rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, m-m
I'm severely annoyed that by the end the promise of the book (it's romance and father of a baby dragon premise) is not really fulfilled. I understand a slowburn. I like those, but this is like, blatantly ignoring the romance, and the baby dragon part? Yeah, by the end, I wanted to call Social Services and remove the baby from the hostile environment.

No cute. No developing feelings (for dragon or Carly). No real romance.

Yet, I finished the book, so something must be there despite the ending fai
Ayanna
Jul 04, 2013 Ayanna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, aaaaaawwww
It was interesting/weird and crispy, but then it got pulpy...

Melodrama, melodrama, melodrama. Some good moments between the melodrama. Some interesting concepts explored, ish.

It wasn't bad. Not quality lit by any stretch of imagination, but not bad.

Drin was a rather interesting character and gave this book a bit more depth, I think.

The ending scene. It was...kind of pathetic. Series fodder.

But as I said, not bad overall and nonesuch.

I guess it's a "meh." It was still good.
Chalice
Positives-
Interesting plot
Lots of wry, snarky humor
Nice world building
Characters different enough to be interesting

Negatives -
Not enough hotness to fill a thimble! Argh!
Cliffhanger!

This was a 4 star Fantasy novel mixed with a 1 star Harlequin Blush. Interesting, frustrating, and disappointing.
Therese Arkenberg
Aug 05, 2016 Therese Arkenberg rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, romance
Perfectly well-written, but the plot was rather thin, the romance aspects of it especially. It felt like the first half of a stronger, longer novel, rather than the opening book of a series.
Pegan
Pegan rated it it was ok
Oct 20, 2012
Sky Griffin
Sky Griffin rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2013
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2015
Carvedwood
Carvedwood rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2010
Lordorgasmus
Lordorgasmus rated it did not like it
Jan 12, 2015
Silviya
Silviya rated it it was amazing
Dec 03, 2014
Peggy
Peggy rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2011
Anne Barwell
Sep 24, 2012 Anne Barwell rated it liked it
Shelves: library
Interesting story, and idea, but I had trouble connecting to the main character Xeras.
Shakal
Shakal rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2014
Claudia Luis
Claudia Luis rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2011
Hannah
Hannah rated it really liked it
May 01, 2014
Bishonen
Bishonen rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2014
Saskie-
Saskie- rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2013
First Half: 5
Second Half: 3
End: 1
Jaimee Ghost
Jaimee Ghost rated it liked it
Feb 18, 2013
Mandalynn
Mandalynn rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Ghost Star Night (Sea of Stars, #1)
  • Lords of Kellesborne (The Draegan Lords, #2)
  • Sacred Fate (Chronicles of Ylandre #1)
  • Shadow Hunt
  • Many Roads Home
  • Fate (Wyndrah, #1)
  • House of Stone
  • Litha's Constant Whim (Green's Hill, #1)
  • Mariner's Luck (Scarlet and the White Wolf, #2)
  • Dark Heart (Tales of Amaranth, #1)
  • Balancing Karma
  • The Bastard Prince (Kria, #3)
  • Looking for Some Touch (Utopia X, #1)
  • Draconian Measures (Gaven, #3)
  • The Devil's Fire (The Kingdom of Orielle, #1)
  • Fireflies
  • Tentacles for the Brides Bouquet
Emily is a writer of erotic romance, dark fantasy and gay fiction. She is also an illustrator, crafter, blogger, poet, reviewer, adventuress and general purpose smart ass.
More about Emily Veinglory...

Ballot's Keep (2 books)
  • Lover of Ghosts (Ballot's Keep, #2)

“Maybe that would be a good thing to do.

He wasn't entirely sure, and that bothered him more than anything. How was he meant to judge right from wrong when he had never really striven to do right before? The only good thing he had known was his time with Drin, and Drin had died because of it.

I'd do it again Xeras. Even knowing. I would do it all again.

'Oh, Drin, I was never worth it.'

Oh, Xeras, that was never for you to say.
0 likes