Start by marking “Merry-Go-Round: A Book About Nouns” as Want to Read:
Merry-Go-Round: A Book About Nouns

Merry-Go-Round: A Book About Nouns (World of Language )

With her clever, rhyming text and dazzling pictures, bestselling author/illustrator Ruth Heller explores many intriguing kinds of nouns in this exciting addition to her unique and highly acclaimed series on language. A book that's as entertaining as it is educational. Full-color illustrations.
Published February 23rd 1998 by Puffin Books (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Merry-Go-Round, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Merry-Go-Round

Sara
Nov 18, 2015 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very smart way to teach nouns. I'm completely impressed!
Cherina
Oct 17, 2008 Cherina rated it really liked it
Summary: This text is all about nouns. It define nouns and provides a plethora of examples of the different types of nouns. The text is fun and students will enjoy the author's creativity.

Uses: Read aloud in 1st-4th grade; use as a resource for children to use while writing in the classroom; use a resource if children are having difficulty grasping the concept of nouns

Literary Devices: rhymes, alliteration

Topic: nouns; the definition and the multiple types (singular, plural, proper, common, abst
We're on our second round of Ruth Heller books. These books in her "World of Language" series are just a great, fun way to learn about grammar. Her illustrations are so captivating, and a big selling point in this volume is that she uses dragons, damsels in distress, and King Arthur to illustrate common and proper nouns. My 5 1/2 yo son said, "Mommy, I didn't know Ruth Heller knew about King Arthur."
Amy
Oct 13, 2010 Amy rated it liked it
Shelves: language
Heller covers the basics of nouns in an informative, straightforward manner. While it lacks the pizazz of the part-of-speech books by Brian P. Cleary, its educational value is higher, so I would use both books in conjunction to teach elementary-aged children about the classes of words.
Douglas Larson
Apr 09, 2015 Douglas Larson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: grammer
This is another in Heller's series of illustrated guides to parts of english speech written for young children. There are about 8 or 9 of these books (one each on nouns, adjectives, verbs, adverbs, interjections, pronounds, collective nouns and more). In each book in the series Heller presents the topic so clearly and so well that everyone, adults and children alike, come away with a solid understanding of the subject. While I did moderately well in english in grade school, junior high and high ...more
Theresa
Sep 10, 2016 Theresa rated it it was amazing
Merry-Go-Round: A Book About Nouns (Paperback)
by Ruth Heller
Third grade
this book looks into the various types of nouns defines their usage and how a writer can learn to express concepts, ideas and real life through the use of nouns.
Dolly
Jun 21, 2012 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We've read several books by Ruth Heller and we love the gorgeously detailed and colorful illustrations as well as the whimsical and educational narratives in her World of Language series of grammar books. They are fun books to read aloud and we all learn a little more about the English language.

This book discusses nouns and covers a wide variety of topics regarding them. It's more of an overview of nouns in general than the book A Cache of Jewels and Other Collective Nouns, and it is almost min
Monique Smith
I recently read Merry Go Round by Ruth Heller. This book is a series of collections by Ruth Heller that teaches elements of language and grammar through poetry and vivid illustrations.
This story is a great opportunity to introduce nouns to students who are 1st and 2nd grade level. It offers another take on learning language that I feel is new and fresh than typically done. Students will love the rhyming nature as well as the pictures to help them categorize the different types of nouns.
I wou
Elizabeth
Part of Ruth Heller's wonderful collection of books on language, Merry-Go-Round gives a wonderful rundown of nouns and how they are used.

Clear and concise rhyming text demonstrate the types of nouns and how they are used. Heller's skills as a trained designer are put to good use in the book. The examples of nouns Heller uses, such as the proper noun "King Arthur", are beautifully illustrated.

While the pictures may feel a bit dated to children today, this book is an excellent resource for English
Kelsey Vayens
This book is another book from Ruth Heller that uses rhyme and vivid illustrations to teach about various grammar concepts. This book, however, focuses on teaching the concept of nouns. I feel that this book could be an opener of introducing the concept of nouns and pronouns to younger students. They can see the visuals and relate them to the concept being taught. This can make the explanation of nouns and pronouns somewhat easier to introduce.
Michael D.
This is a good book by Ruth Heller as she uses vibrant illustrations to introduce nouns to young students. A great resource for the language development of Kindegarten to first graders- Heller uses rhyming text which is good for developing phonemic awareness. Can teach children nouns and proper nouns. Can introduce young children to crafting their writing skills by using clorful rhyming words.
Nashiea Edmiston
I am incredibly impressed at how the author is able to discuss, in such a concise fashion, the concept of nouns. This book can be used as a mentor text for rhyming and alliteration while also reviewing nouns. The examples the author gives of nouns are so creative!
Jane
Nov 13, 2011 Jane rated it really liked it
Shelves: nouns
I can use this book to teach students about different types of nouns. How nouns are used and how to make nouns to plural. In addition, it teaches the usage of apostrophes with simple sentences. A must-have LA book for teachers.
Fariba Aadelvand
Apr 17, 2011 Fariba Aadelvand rated it it was amazing
Shelves: la
This book is about nouns and is just as woonderful os her other books. I really love the explanations used on each page.
Angela
Angela rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2013
Laura Galloway
Laura Galloway rated it it was amazing
Oct 07, 2014
Holly Hueston
Holly Hueston rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2014
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2008
Dawn
Dawn rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Andria
Andria rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2016
Lois Barrett
Lois Barrett rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2015
Gabe
Gabe rated it did not like it
Aug 07, 2014
Darla
Darla rated it it was amazing
Feb 22, 2011
Chari
Jun 28, 2012 Chari rated it really liked it
I use these in my writing workshops. The kids are ages 8-18 years. They all enjoy them!
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Information overload! A good book to review nouns, should not be used as an introduction.
Libby
Libby rated it liked it
May 17, 2012
Alyssa
Alyssa rated it liked it
Sep 20, 2015
alayna
alayna rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2015
Diane
Diane rated it really liked it
Dec 24, 2015
Theresa
Theresa rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • To Root, to Toot, to Parachute
  • Nouns and Verbs Have a Field Day
  • Eats, Shoots & Leaves: Why, Commas Really Do Make a Difference!
  • Nettie's Trip South
  • Nurse, Soldier, Spy: The Story of Sarah Edmonds, a Civil War Hero
  • Crazy Like a Fox: A Simile Story
  • The Magic School Bus Inside a Hurricane (The Magic School Bus, #7)
  • Watch Out for the Chicken Feet in Your Soup
  • Letting Swift River Go
  • Titanic
  • A Flower in the Snow
  • Hailstones and Halibut Bones
  • Skippy Jon Jones Collection (4 Board Book Collection, 1-2-3, Color Crazy, Shape Up, Up & Down)
  • Boundless Grace
  • Hershey's Fractions
  • A Chocolate Moose for Dinner
Author and illustration with a passionate interest in Korean culture. She lives with her husband in San Francisco, California.
More about Ruth Heller...

World of Language (8 books)
  • A Cache of Jewels and Other Collectible Nouns (World of Language)
  • Mine, All Mine!: A Book About Pronouns