Start by marking “The Shape of Things” as Want to Read:
The Shape of Things

The Shape of Things

A square is just a square until it becomes a house in this clever book. A circle becomes a spinning ferris wheel, and when you add some string and a tail to a diamond shape, it becomes a kite flying high in the sky! With sprightly rhymes and energetic illustrations filled with hidden shapes, Dayle Ann Dodds and Julie Lacome reveal that shapes are everywhere. Encouraged by ...more
Published March 7th 1996 by Candlewick Press (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Shape of Things, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shape of Things

imalegend  inthemaking
Dec 31, 2016 imalegend inthemaking rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
good book to learn shapes
Vicki
Oct 04, 2016 Vicki rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture, pre-school
A cute book with the basic shapes shown in our every day living.
Sep 17, 2016 Laura rated it it was amazing
I'm required to teach 1st grade about 2 dimensional shapes. This was a fabulous choice to teach this standard. One page features shapes, for example, a triangle. The next page features pictures of objects that are this shape, for example, a boat. These pictures are great for eliciting simple vocabulary ESOL students need to practice (house, boat, train, egg, kite.) This is one of those books that makes it easy to structure your lesson well. Students could show their understanding by creating the ...more
Elayna Gilbert
Feb 17, 2014 Elayna Gilbert rated it really liked it
I thought this book was so cute and would be perfect in my preschool or kindergarten classroom. It is a great opener to tie into shapes and colors. The pictures are so detailed with the different shapes and gives a great description of what shape it is. On the last page it asked "how many shapes can you find" so it would also be a great activity for the children to count how many shapes are in the whole book. Or read it to them before group time and then have them draw a picture of all the diffe ...more
Maya Watts
In this books, different shapes were taken and turned into other objects. They made connections with each shape in the real world. The illustrations show the shape by itself on one page with the words. On the next page the shape is used to make another picture. The colors are very vibrant and blocky. In each of the pictures, the words only describe the things around the shape. They never explicitly say what each shape turns into. As each new shape comes up, the other shapes and images are still ...more
Kristine Hansen
Sep 03, 2013 Kristine Hansen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, picture-book
I like how this book teaches shapes. Inviting children to first of all think creatively about what you can do with a shape to create something else, and then turning it around and helping you to find shapes in everything you see. Most picture books on this subject matter just do one or the other. Very refreshing, and visually appealing. Sure the pictures are simple, but they're bright and they're just the sorts of things your young children can draw or paint - I keep finding new ways to use this ...more
Megan Drees
The Shape of Things by Dayle Ann Dodds is a simple story that helps children connect shapes to objects in real life. The illustrations are colorful and the shapes are obviously identifiable in them so it would be perfect for younger students. The text provides riddles that are answered in the illustrations. A very easy book for younger children that would be great to help learn shapes and their use in everyday life.
Jasmine
Mar 30, 2015 Jasmine rated it it was amazing
This book by Dayle Ann Dodds and illustrated by Julie Lacome is very beneficial for children learning about identifying shapes through things found in their environment. This is a very colorful book that gives children an idea of many different items that can be identified as different shapes. Communication, Language and Literacy (CLL) is seen throughout the book for young children learning new shapes, words, and items.
Ariel S
Title: The Shape of Things
Author: Julie Lacome and Dayle Ann Dodds. Julie Lacome was born into an artistic family in Fife, Scotland. Dayle Anna Dodds began writing children's books after the birth of her first child.
Illustrator: Julie Lacome.
Review: This is a great book to teach children about shapes. It also has great connections to shapes in real life. An amazing book to use in the classroom. It also contains great illustrations as well.
Pamela Howard
Apr 07, 2014 Pamela Howard rated it it was amazing
This book is a great geometry introduction for young students! Students being able to see how the different shapes take on forms that are within their everyday environments helps with student engagement and helps them connect more with other items that have similar shapes. It also can be used as a read aloud, but it is more beneficial to use as mini-lesson to prepare students to use when possibly being assigned and activity of taking a shape and making into something they have seen before.
Breona Taylor
This book, I feel, is a very cute way to teach children their shapes; I love how the shapes are connected with everyday items- which will help children associate them even better (since they are items that children mostly see every day! For example: A square turned into a house, they will remember this easier, and when they see their own house, they will remember/think, SQUARE! I love that all the pictures are colorful, vibrant, beautifual, and easy for children to see.
Agnes Mukoro
Apr 06, 2015 Agnes Mukoro rated it really liked it
This book was written by Dayle AnnDodds and is about shapes. The shapes is use to represent things like circle for ferries wheels, two triangle for boat, group of rectangle a train oval for an egg and diamond for a kite. kids will begin to see shapes and recognize them. The book is colorful and it promote cognitive development.
Brittany Stewart
Apr 06, 2015 Brittany Stewart rated it really liked it
This book gives children a great insight to the shapes in real life experiences. Children can utilize this book to represent different shapes right in their own back yard. Children can use this book to recognize everyday shapes such as a hexagon representing a stop sign. I would recommend this book to ages 4 and up.
Diana Acosta
Mar 30, 2015 Diana Acosta rated it it was amazing
This is such a great book because it can show the meaning of shape to young children. It shows different examples for children to know shapes. It was a good presentation but I feel that a learning experience can be add like wood blocks to make shapes. It is a great book for early readers and I will recommended to others.
Tanisha James
The pages are beautifully illustrated. The Shape of Things is a book that will help children build math skills. You can also discuss how we see shapes every where in our every day surroundings. This book has vocabulary words that an educator can talk about with the students while practicing communication, language and literacy skills as well.
Miriam
Apr 07, 2016 Miriam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
great introduction to shapes and their uses. teaches youngsters to see common shapes in their everyday surroundings. additionally, this is a great book for a geometry class! remind math students of the presence of geometry in ther lives. good book with delightful illustrations. a book for all reasons.
Sade
This book does a great job of teaching shapes and introducing geometry. I would do a picture walk with this book and ask my students what certain shapes have in common. I could also introduce shapes'sides and angles. I know the children will be interested because the pictures are so beautifully illustrated.
Jennifer Berg
Jun 06, 2011 Jennifer Berg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: math-books
I love to read this book with my students during our geometry unit. This text helps my students to understand that shapes are a part of our everyday world and that all things are made up of shapes! I love to have students draw houses, after reading this text, with as many different shapes possible!
Meghan Smith
Mar 30, 2015 Meghan Smith rated it really liked it
This book is a great book to read to young children who are learning the different shapes. The shapes mentioned in this book are connected with an item of the same shape. You can definitely use this book to discuss different shapes. I rated this book 4 stars because it is not too long and can be used for educational purposes for young children.
Tionna Parker
Apr 06, 2015 Tionna Parker rated it really liked it
The shape of things was a great book to read especially to young children because it introduces shapes and all that they can transform and become with a little imagination. This book gave great examples of what a simple shape can become and had nice and colorful illustrations to go along with the story. The book had a easy to follow to story line that would keep the interest of young children.
Shannon Brown
Apr 07, 2015 Shannon Brown rated it it was amazing
Shelves: shapes
I like this book. I can read this book to toddlers and preschool children. It teaches children about different shapes and some of the objects that contain those shapes. The illustrator did a good job in making the colors stand out. Children can learn about the shape of a boat, the shape of a window, and many other objects in the book.
Gricel
Mar 29, 2015 Gricel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: math
I found this book great to introduce the concept of shapes to the children. It combines very well an easy rhyming text with illustrations, the description and examples where shapes can be find. It also relates shapes with real word in a way that seems like the shapes are magically appearing to your eyes, so children can have an idea about how to find shapes in the real word. Ages 4-7.
Maritza
This book is about shapes around us. All the things have different shapes. This book help the childrence to idntify and learn about shapes.Have many colors and the words are easy to read to young children.
Kelli Dana
Mar 13, 2012 Kelli Dana added it
Shelves: math
*Geometry
*This book is wonderful for the introduction of shapes to children in the younger grades.
*This book uses different colors and different shapes. It shows how all of these shapes can be used together to form or build a house.
Janice Redding
Apr 22, 2012 Janice Redding rated it it was amazing
Shelves: math, ece-3601
This is a great book to introduce shapes in Kindergarten. I can go over common shapes such as a square, circle, triangle, rectangle, oval, and diamond. I can extend the lesson teaching my students a shape song.
Meg McGregor
A introduction to the concept that shapes make up the world around us.
The colors are vibrant and will attract little eyes!

"A square is just a square,
Until you add a roof,
Two windows, and a door,
Then it's much much more!"

Michelle Smith
Mar 30, 2015 Michelle Smith rated it it was amazing
Great shape book for children 3-6 years old. It will show children how we see shapes everywhere. I love the pictures full of different shaped things. The children will definitely love the great illustrations.
Nancy
Jan 24, 2010 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is really good at helping children learn shapes. It helps them to see that the world is made up of all kinds of shapes. The plot isn't very exciting, but you could use this book for an art or geometry assignment.
Wendy Jones
The Shape of Things by Dayle Ann Dodds is a nice book to use with students learning shapes. This book helps students to connect shapes to real life objects. I think it would be a really great book to use before asking students to generate objects made of various shapes on their own.
Michael D.
I love this book because it is a patterned rhyming text which begins with the presentation of a flat shape and then adds other elements to create familiar objects out of that shape. This book can build upon a child's potential creativity. Great book!!
« previous 1 3 next »
Dayle Ann Dodds is the author of numerous picture books for children, including THE SHAPE OF THINGS, TEACHER'S PETS, THE GREAT DIVIDE: A MATHEMATICAL MARATHON, and MINNIE'S DINER: A MULTIPLYING MENU. A former elementary school teacher, she lives in Carmel Valley, California.
More about Dayle Ann Dodds...