Chorus Of Mushrooms

Chorus Of Mushrooms

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  207 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Chorus of Mushrooms won a 1995 Commonwealth Writers Prize and was co-winner of the 1996 Canada-Japan Book Award. This book heralds the debut of a young Japanese Canadian feminist, Hiromi Goto. Until the publication of ‘Chorus of Mushrooms’ in 1994, the primary voice heard from Japanese Canadians was that of the people interned during World War II. Hiromi Goto examines the...more
Published by NeWest Press (first published October 16th 1993)

Mircalla64 (free Liu Xiaobo)
coro di donne

“Raccontaci dei piedi” dicono. “Tua nonna doveva fasciarsi i piedi, da piccola?” Veramente in Giappone non c’è mai stata questa usanza, ma qualcuno continua a diffondere il mito. Sempre la stessa storia. I piedi fasciati. La deformità. Il rituale dell’hari kari. Veramente sarebbe harakiri, ma lo chiamassero pure Cara Chiri o Cala Chili, per quel che mi importa. Non è per essere acidi. Ti invitano da qualche parte per parlare. Per tenere una conferenza. Su quello che sia. Tutti in gi...more
Mark

Dear Hiromi Goto,

We read your novel, Chorus Of Mushrooms , for our Salon in beautiful Pomona, California.

There was seven of us ranging from our mid thirties to mid forties, who read your novel and discussed it out of the shear joy of both reading and community.

We drank Hitachiko Nest beer and munched on salted squid, we ate poutine and chased it with Crown Royal whiskey.

We talked about the immigrant experience from our own perspectives, we discussed what it meant to be mothers and daughters....more
adventurat
I really enjoyed this book, but it made me wish I remembered more of the Japanese I learned, that one term in college, a million years ago. (Languages evaporate so quickly when not used. I was far from fluent, but I'm even further from it now.) I suppose I could have plugged the words into Google translate, but I wasn't near a computer when I was reading, so I didn't bother. I sounded it out instead, and pretended I understood. I think I understood the story, even without the added nuance of the...more
Sian Jones
I could probably have done with a few more traditional signposts of plot and structure in this novel, but there's no denying the rich, sensual gorgeousness of the prose or the deftness with which the story mixes the real with the supremely magical. (Also, I recommend the 20th anniversary edition, with its excellent Afterward by Larissa Lai. As she describes the experience of teaching the novel since its original publication, she captures the shift in racial politics in academia and North America...more
Emi
Hiromi Goto has a truly amazing ability. Her main characters seem very unappealing at first. They are everything but what you would imagine a main character should be. They are never physically attractive and the way they behave may sometimes come across as rather disgusting. However, the longer you read Goto's novels, the more you like her characters. They are always complex and they always develop in a way that is well-paced and believable.

I could have given this book 5 stars. There are no fla...more
Daniel
An overwhelming and tender novel which, through storytelling and journeying, seeks to make sense of the diaspora experienced by three generations of Japanese women in Canada.
Alexa
Feb 02, 2012 Alexa rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Alexa by: Dr. Grekul
I read this book in one of my university English classes. I found it quite interesting as we compared it to Margaret Laurence's, The Stone Angel. The two texts are very similar and I definitley recomend reading them in conjunction.
Pamk
Some interesting characterizations that showed the cultural differences between three generations of Japanese Canadian women, but just an overall 'eh' for me...
Elizabeth
So far, my favourite of the books from my postcolonial lit class. This book is weird and a little messed up but, in a lot of ways, works.
Kate Miller
wonderful story with some really outstanding writing about food!
Cheri
Captivating, lyrical language captures the outsider.
Brian
A very well-written book.
Gail
Gail is currently reading it
Jul 17, 2014
Ally
Ally marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Kim Drew
Kim Drew marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Chey
Chey added it
Jul 15, 2014
El Chacal
El Chacal marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Jeannette
Jeannette marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Lauren Carter
Lauren Carter marked it as to-read
Minttu
Minttu marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Crossen
Crossen is currently reading it
Jul 06, 2014
  • Monkey Beach
  • When Fox is a Thousand
  • Disappearing Moon Cafe: A Novel
  • Wild Geese (New Canadian Library)
  • So Long Been Dreaming: Postcolonial Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • Sub Rosa
  • Obasan
  • (You) Set Me on Fire
  • Everything Was Good-bye
  • Goodnight Desdemona (Good Morning Juliet)
  • Redwood and Wildfire
  • Bottle Rocket Hearts
  • Mandarin Gate (Inspector Shan, #7)
Hiromi’s first novel, Chorus of Mushrooms (1994), received the Commonwealth Writers’ Prize for Best First Book in the Caribbean and Canada region and was co-winner of the Canada-Japan Book Award. Her short stories and poetry have been widely published in literary journals and anthologies. Her second novel, The Kappa Child (2001), was a finalist for the Commonwealth Writers’ Prize for Best Regional...more
More about Hiromi Goto...
Half World (Half World, #1) The Kappa Child Darkest Light (Half World, #2) Hopeful Monsters The Water of Possibility (In the Same Boat)

“I mutter and mutter and no one to listen. I speak my words in Japanese and my daughter will not hear them. The words that come from our ears, our mouths, they collide in the space between us.

"Obachan, please! I wish you would stop that. Is it too much to ask for some peace and quiet? You do this on purpose, don’t you? Don’t you! I just want some peace. Just stop! Please, just stop."

"Gomennasai. Waruine, Obachan wa. Solly. Solly."

Ha! Keiko, there is method in my madness. I could stand on my head and quote Shakespeare until I had a nosebleed, but to no avail, no one hears my language. So I sit and say the words and will, until the wind or I shall die. Someone, something must stand against this wind and I will. I am.”
0 likes