Start by marking “House of Dreams” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
House of Dreams

Pauline Gedge

House of Dreams (Lady of the Reeds #1)

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  632 ratings  ·  48 reviews
She grew up on the reed-lined banks of the Upper Nile but she was not like the other villagers of Aswat. Intelligent and ambitious, Thu is convinced that her destiny is greater than to marry a peasant, tend crops and breed sons. She wants more. When Hui, aristocrat, healer and famed seer, anchors his barge at the nearby temple, young Thu swims to it, willing to offer him a ...more
513 pages
Published (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about House of Dreams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about House of Dreams

Devil in Winter by Lisa KleypasLothaire by Kresley ColeLord of Scoundrels by Loretta ChaseDreaming of You by Lisa KleypasTempt Me at Twilight by Lisa Kleypas
Villain as romantic love interests
128th out of 205 books — 412 voters
The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara KingsolverThe Ashford Affair by Lauren WilligA Spear of Summer Grass by Deanna RaybournMemoirs of Cleopatra by Margaret GeorgeTrade Wind by M.M. Kaye
Historical fiction: Africa
48th out of 69 books — 16 voters

More lists with this book...

Althea Ann
Long eons ago, in the days when the Internet was just something called Usenet... before amazon. before paperbackswap. before goodreads... back in Those Days, I made a special trip, while in Canada, to the bookstore. I'm pretty sure it was the World's Biggest Bookstore (yes, that's its name). And I bought every single one of Pauline Gedge's books, and brought them all home with me. Very heavy.
I never really did understand why Gedge is so popular in her home, Canada, and completely unpublicized in
Kimi Augusto
Short Summary:

Peasant girl with ambitious streak's journey to become Pharaoh's top concubine and her lack of moral scruples that become her downfall.

My thoughts:

I could be biased because I just LOVE Ancient Egyptian books, but I quite enjoyed it. Yes the main character was hard to like at times becuase she doesn have the moral depth of a spoiled brat. However she is intelligent and witty albeit conniving. And really, how many books can you read with your character being the pinnacle of virtue wi
Lisa
Oh, I loved this!

I wasn't really expecting to enjoy it this much, since I don't have a strong interest in Rameses III and had heard reports that the narrator-protagonist, Lady Thu, was unlikable and unpleasant. I didn't have an issue with Thu herself, because while she did unlikable things and was presumptuous, she remained likeable.

I must have a thing for Gedge's pharaohs, because the Rameses III makes three out of three of her pharaohs I've fallen in love with, though this Rameses is more hum
Iset
Of all Gedge’s novels, this is possibly the series where she changes the most, historically. This book, and the sequel, are based on the harem plot to murder Ramesses III (detailed in the Turin papyrus). Don't open the spoiler link if you don't want to known what happened historically versus what happens in the book. (view spoiler) ...more
Londa
This book did capture my attention. The story kept me up at night reading for hours until I finished. The description of life and customs in ancient Egypt were very effective. I felt like I was right there with the characters.

I did not care for Thu at all. I don't HAVE to like the main character of a book to enjoy it but it made it difficult for me to want to see her succeed in anything. In fact, I was rooting against her a lot of times.

All of the characters were pretty well developed, but I d
Adrianna
Still not quite sure how I felt about this novel. I was really enjoying it until about the end, but I don't want to give any spoilers.

Thu is quite ambitious and ruthless for a peasant Egyptian girl and essentially works her way up to becoming the Pharoah's concubine. She is intelligent and beautiful and eager to carve out a niche of power for herself, however, many other players are eager to do the same.

The historical representation was fairly good, I think. Thu is completely fictional, as far
Chris
Gedge does a wonderful job of painting time and place. Her historical fiction placed in ancient Egypt is some of the best. This book is told from the viewpoint of a would be murderess, who Gedge draws with wonderful shading.
Heidi
A book about an incredibly shallow Egyptian peasant girl who becomes Pharaoh's concubine and always thinks that she's two steps ahead of all the people using her, but really, she's 5 steps behind. You know it, the author knows it, everyone in the book knows it, and yet, you find yourself getting sucked in and reading on, cringing and wincing your way through the story, and hoping that it doesn't end the way you suspect that it must. If you hate second-hand embarrassment, then this book is not fo ...more
Libbie
After Child of the Morning and The Eagle and the Raven, I was disappointed by Lady of the Reeds.

The editing or house style (whichever it was) was terrible, and this severely interfered with my enjoyment of the novel. Actions and dialogue were attributed bizarrely, which made me have to stop and puzzle out who was saying what whenever more than one character was speaking. This eventually became so distracting that I gave up trying to finish the book. The author also gave utterly unbelievable dia
Irena
This was very good book that I felt needed more to make it complete. It is a lazy story, one to be while relaxing, not fast paced in any way, but definitely active enough to hold one's attention.
Te story is centered and told from a common girl's POV. Her dreams, desires, irritations, opinions. She needs to be a little better developed or maybe she is just that shallow of a person, but you can definitely get a sense for her life.
Excellent pull in. I found myself thinking about the characters and
Kina
I really very much enjoyed this book. Of all the historical fiction based in ancient Egypt, this is one of only a handful that I thoroughly enjoyed. The characters seemed fully developed, and the conversations seemed plausible. The actions and words of the main character, Thu, were believable, but I had a hard time remembering her age - I tended to imagine her as a woman in her early 20s. (I've had no children of my own, and lord knows I gave my mother enough "back talk" in my early teens - so p ...more
Lana Shupe
Mar 06, 2014 Lana Shupe marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Leslie
I loved the story of Thu and her rise. The ending - not so much...
Lorina Stephens
This was the third reading for me of House of Dreams, by Canadian author, Pauline Gedge. The novel still stands up.

Set in ancient Egypt, House of Dreams takes you through political machinations and the vain dreams of an ambitious and fiesty girl known as Thu. Gedge's ability to raise an ancient world, complete with the arid atmosphere pinching your nose and the feel fine linen on your burning skin is utterly spell-binding. A power-house writer, and a fabulous read.
Eva
Absolutely loved it ! From the first to the last page. Can't wait to read House of Illusions..
Awallens
Thu is a peasant girl who wants more for herself. She is selfish, and ambitious. She is brought to the Pharoah as a concubine after being trained as a physician. How far will Thu's ambition take her? How far will she fall?
this book was amazing. I didn't like Thu a lot of the time, but I also felt sympathetic for her. This is a must-read if you are a fan of Egypt, or a historical fiction buff. Since I am a fan of both this was a great read.
Lariany
I love how accurately Egypt is painted and how we're walked through all classes of life from peasant, middle class, to the palace. I take this story to heart. Any one could have made her mistakes. Im glad i know better not to though. It is a great story that sucks you in right away. Lady Thu is likable and she is a good person at heart. She was used and was overly ambitious but she was not evil. She was just like any other woman wanting to better herself.
South Regional Durham County Libraries
Another book from my historical fiction phase, this book is set in Ancient Egypt and basically focuses on the life of Thu. Her life begins as a peasant girl, from there she becomes mediacal assistant, the Pharaoh's concubine, and finally a murderess. The book is sort of sad because you are really rooting Thu and yet she makes such bad choices. The end of the book though was really touching and made up for the sad parts in the middle.
Lauren Doll
Fanny
J'aime énormément ce livre. Le fait que Thu soit imparfaite la rend humaine et le fait qu'elle soit si égoïste et manipulatrice la rend intéressante. Si l'histoire était contée du point de vue de quelqu'un d'autre, personne ne pourrait aimer la jeune fille, mais en lisant ses sentiments, on la comprend même quand on ne l'approuve pas.
Je ne me lasse pas de lire ce livre et ce n'est sûrement pas la dernière fois que je le fais.
Starlight_miss
This book is very intriguing! It follows the life of a young woman in Egypt, who aspires to leave her small village and become greater than what she is expected to be, even though her mother and father expect her to take on the job of a midwife. She leaves her home, and goes on an adventure, until finally she becomes a concubine to Ramses III. But even that isn't enough for this strong-willed woman.
Elle
Not the best book I've ever read, and certainly riddled with a few inaccuracies and anachronisms, but it's a fun read and definitely worth the time to read. The characters are interesting, the story fast-paced, and the politics quite easy to sympathize with, to a degree. For a short and entertaining read about Egypt, romance, intrigue, and a little bit of sex, come here first.
Joyce McCombs
I just emerged from this book over the weekend... a real page turner and a slice of Egyptian life that was so fascinating...the detail is tremendous.. you can literally feel the sand in your toes and that hot HOT sun....mystery, intrigue, even murder! It made me want to go jump in the Nile and then lay around a pool and be fanned and served pomegranate juice... ahh....
O'Fallon Public Library
"I really enjoyed this historical fiction novel that takes place in ancient Egypt. I cheered for the heroine during her breath-taking climb through society. I didn't want this story to end because I was caught up in the telling. That's the best kind of story, I think." Recommended by O'Fallon Public Library (O'Fallon, Illinois).
Katie Tillwick
Fabulous ancient Egyptian setting, based on a true attempted assassination on Ramses III. Thu, the main character, is a creation of the author. Thu, the protagonist, (she's no hero), can be gratingly selfish and dumb, making this book at times difficult to continue on with.

A great Ancient Egypt historical, nonetheless.
Rebecca Huston
One of my favourite novels set in ancient Egypt. This time the setting is the court of Ramses III, and a young peasant girl who gets mixed up in intrigue. You may not like what Thu does, but you can't help but be interested in her.

For the complete review, please go here:
Jerri
Although the author creates a beautiful world in this novel, the main character's so shallow and one dimensional that finishing this book was something of a chore. There were also some gaping plot holes, and the story ends exactly where it begins...kind of leaves you thinking, "What was the point?"...
Dawn Ballard
Beautiful story--all engrossing and utterly tragic. I think the hardest part about this book was the knowledge that Thu, the main character, was so intelligent and ambitious, yet her only source of power had to come from the men around her. True to history, but tragic.
Rubi
After reading Stonehedge, I wanted to read another historical fiction book. This was okay-- the plot was a little predictable and it was a little sleazy. Nevertheless, it provided some interesting perspective into ancient Egypt.
Ron
I did not think that I would enjoy a story about a cold, calculating, selfish, deceitful and unscrupulous young girl. But it was recommended to me and I did find it an enjoyable story with an ending that had to come about.
  • King and Goddess
  • The Sekhmet Bed (The She-King, #1)
  • A God Against the Gods
  • The Beacon at Alexandria
  • The Crook and Flail (The She-King, #2)
  • The Flaming Sword (Queen of Freedom, #3)
  • Pharaoh (Kleopatra, #2)
  • The Right Hand of Amon (Lieutenant Bak, #1)
  • Daughter of the Gods: A Novel of Ancient Egypt
  • When We Were Gods: A Novel of Cleopatra
  • Hatchepsut: The Female Pharaoh
  • The Assassins of Isis (Amerotke, #5)
  • Naguib Mahfouz: Three Novels of Ancient Egypt
  • Murder in the Place of Anubis (Lord Meren, #1)
I was born in Auckland, New Zealand, on December 11, 1945, the first of three girls. Six years later my family emigrated to England where my father, an ex-policeman, wanted to study for the Anglican ministry. We lived in an ancient and very dilapidated cottage in the heart of the English Buckinghamshire woodland, and later in a small village in Oxfordshire called Great Haseley. I grew up surrounde ...more
More about Pauline Gedge...
Child of the Morning The Eagle and the Raven The Hippopotamus Marsh (Lord of the Two Lands, #1) House of Illusions The Oasis (Lords of the Two Lands, #2)