Start by marking “Transparency: How Leaders Create a Culture of Candor” as Want to Read:

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  83 ratings  ·  21 reviews
This work exposes the biggest challenge in leadership. The authors look at what conspires against 'a culture of candor' in organizations to create disastrous results, and suggest ways that leaders can achieve healthy and honest openness.
Published May 1st 2008 by Jossey-Bass (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Transparency, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Transparency

Jillian
A great book that emphasizes why honesty is the best policy. My husband is a corporate engineering consultant who has to constantly give bad news, but due to his integrity, he is always respected for it. This book reconfirmed some truths about business that I've learned from him, and also gives whistleblowers the green light.
Eugene Lee
An excellent book - I highly recommend this to anyone in a leadership position trying to leverage transparency into their leadership style and create a culture of candor, or for anyone trying to influence their leadership to do the same.
getAbstract
Insightful collection of essays about business transparency

At 144 pages, you could finish this slim volume in an evening. Its three, smoothly written essays combine to make an engaging book. Authors Warren Bennis, Daniel Goleman and James O’Toole, writing with Patricia Ward Biederman, blend references to well-known events with useful new accounts of transparency and opacity, and their outcomes. The writers focus primarily on concept and character, but they also offer specific suggestions for act
Robert
Warren Bennis, Daniel Goleman, and James O'Toole
Jossey-Bass

The co-authors are three of the most influential business thinkers in recent years and, with Patricia Ward Biederman, collaborated on this book that consists of three separate but related essays: "Creating a Culture of Candor" (Bennis, Goleman, and Biederman examine transparency within and in relationships between organizations), "Speaking Truth to Power" (O'Toole shares his perspective
Ian Smith
Perhaps I came to this brief and eminently readable series of essays with exceedingly high expectations. Or perhaps I have been through many of the arguments already. For whatever reason, I was disappointed. Not in the quality of the writing, or the strength of the arguments, both of which are superb. But for two reasons. First, because this book will so quickly date, more of which in a moment. And second, and perhaps most importantly, because transparency is a moral and ethical imperative, a pr ...more
Nick
It took Warren Bennis, Daniel Goleman, James O'Toole, and Patricia Ward Biederman to write this slim volume on the purpose and perils of transparency in organizations. At 121 pages, it's a little book, really three articles put together, with a couple of time-tested insights. The blogging world and other Internet technology has made it easier than ever to force transparency on unwilling organizations -- even mainland China. The problems of whistleblowers have been around since Aristotle, who had ...more
Dianna
I listed to this on audio, and I just kept waiting for the meat of the book to start. When the closing credits came I was baffled, thinking "Wait, what the heck was this book about?".

The subtitle is very misleading. It should be "Transparency: Learn to deal with the culture of candor", because there are no tips in this book -- just endless examples of the inevitibility of transparency in this age, and a few good (and many bad) examples of transparency and candor at work.

I may have to get the tex
Mark Terry
Very good! The essays collected here point out that transparency is really no longer optional. With the advent of social media and the blogosphere, leaks of "secrets" are bound to occur. To build trust, leaders have to develop a culture that treats people and situations honestly - welcoming truth from all quarters and encouraging speaking truth to power. More about the need for transparency than how to go about fostering it, but well worth the time. Another winner from Warren Bennis.
Donna
Excellent short book (120 pages) about the necessity of transparency in today's world.

Transparency is almost forced on us today with the digital age - camera phones everywhere, the blogosphere, email. The most successful companies understand and use transparency as a competitive advantage.

Keys to transparency in leadership today are: followers who are willing to speak honestly , and leaders who are willing to listen to unsettling information.

Highly recommended."
Michael
This collection of 3 essays on transparency is a quick and good read. It's especially pertinent for all those in management who have the opportunity in various ways to create a "transparent" culture. I came away convinced that more candor and transparency in business and government is better, but the leaders must "make it so" in wise and humble ways. I especially enjoyed the middle essay by James O'Toole with his philosophical analysis of transparency.
Janderson
Sometimes I just don't understand why people need to write hundreds of pages on topics so obvious...
May
A must read for both employees and managers. As far as I am concerned, you cannot have accountability within your organization unless you have transparency. Authors hit on a number of key features that I wish all organizations would pay more attention to--gaining and maintaining consumer and staff trust, open 2-way communication, ethical responsibilities, and moral convictions.
Syafiq Basri Assegaff
Many issues and problems in this world caused by secrecy. By lies. Transparency clearly describes the powerful imperative for honest communication in this boundless world. A vital new book by reputable experts.
Terri Griffith
Dec 17, 2011 Terri Griffith rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Terri by: Eugene Lee
I assign Bennis' essay for my MBA courses. Leaders in all organizations should read this book to see the value that can come from great transparency and knowledge in organizations.
Heather
A required read for my MBA class. Interesting read in these turbulent economic times. Not finished yet, but since it's "required" I'm sure I will before June 2010.
Marlena
Audiobook on iTunes.
Excellent.
Supports what we learn in class.
Bennis and Goleman = like and support view of leadership
A. J.
Great subject matter. Altough I agree with the authors, their personal biases/political positions come through a bit too loud.
Linda
Really thorough look at transparency and ethics in organizations. From a business and social perspective.
John Mastrorilli
Well, I'm learning what I should say and what I shouldn't say.
Danesh
an important word, like diversity, that, at most times, is superficially understood and implemented. the book highlights good examples of good and bad transparency, the importance of it, and some steps to achieve it. organizational psychology majors might like this book. other than the case examples, it's nothing too exciting. it's a short read that could provide a new perspective or some decent party-conversation topics.
Olli Kytömäki
Olli Kytömäki marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Ram Venkar
Ram Venkar marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Tim L
Tim L marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Amanda Casten
Amanda Casten marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Mason Stanley
Mason Stanley marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
  • Against the Odds: An Autobiography
  • Lucky or Smart?: Secrets to an Entrepreneurial Life
  • The Entrepreneur's Guide to Business Law
  • Peak: How Great Companies Get Their Mojo from Maslow
  • Out of the Crisis
  • How to Get Rich
  • Shine: Using Brain Science to Get the Best from Your People
  • Carrots and Sticks Don't Work: Build a Culture of Employee Engagement with the Principles of RESPECT
  • How Did That Happen?: Holding People Accountable for Results the Positive, Principled Way
  • Extreme Programming Explained: Embrace Change (The XP Series)
  • Boyd: The Fighter Pilot Who Changed the Art of War
  • Reality Check: The Irreverent Guide to Outsmarting, Outmanaging, and Outmarketing Your Competition
  • Maverick: The Success Story Behind the World's Most Unusual Workshop
  • It's Not What You Sell, It's What You Stand For: Why Every Extraordinary Business is Driven by Purpose
  • You Already Know How to Be Great: A Simple Way to Remove Interference and Unlock Your Greatest Potential
  • The Human Side of Enterprise, Annotated Edition
  • Fierce Leadership: A Bold Alternative to the Worst "Best" Practices of Business Today
  • Fearless Leadership: How To Overcome Behavioral Blind Spots And Transform Your Organization
Warren Gamaliel Bennis is an American scholar, organizational consultant and author, widely regarded as a pioneer of the contemporary field of Leadership Studies. Bennis is University Professor and Distinguished Professor of Business Administration and Founding Chairman of The Leadership Institute at the University of Southern California.

“His work at MIT in the 1960s on group behavior foreshadowe
More about Warren G. Bennis...
On Becoming a Leader Organizing Genius Geeks and Geezers: How Era, Values and Defining Moments Shape Leaders Leaders: Strategies for Taking Charge Managing People is Like Herding Cats: Warren Bennis on Leadership