Start by marking “Pride Of Baghdad” as Want to Read:
Pride Of Baghdad

Pride Of Baghdad

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  16,206 Ratings  ·  1,103 Reviews
In war-torn Iraq, many casualties have gone unreported - among them, an escaped pride of lions. This struggling family of four great cats must find a way to stay together and avoid the deadly conflict that's exploding around them in a world they can never hope to comprehend.
Published December 1st 2008 by Titan Books (UK) (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Pride Of Baghdad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pride Of Baghdad

J.G. Keely
Jan 07, 2009 J.G. Keely rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, reviewed
Despite the originality of the idea, and the wealth of symbolism and meaning such a story might have held, Vaughan did little with this book. His predictable plot, thoughtless characterization, awkward dialogue and overpowering allegory drained this book of any strength or beauty it might have had.

Start with some factual errors, such as antelopes being kept within sight of lions, sea turtles living in the Tigris, and zoo birds (which would have had flight feathers clipped) simply flying to escap
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Pride of Baghdad is the story of four lions who escaped from the Baghdad zoo after a bombing raid and was inspired by actual events. It probably goes without saying it didn't end quite as well as The Lion King . . .

Dallas Commercial Photography

Although I was totally crossing my fingers that the male lion would have a voice like Scar . . .

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I was hoping the combination of a graphic novel (a/k/a pitcherbook) and the use of animals rather than people to tell the st
Cait
Diane
What a beautiful and sad story this is.

I found "Pride of Baghdad" while browsing the graphic novels at the library. It was inspired by the true story of four lions who escaped the Baghdad Zoo during the invasion of Iraq in April 2003.

We see the bombing from the point of view of the lions. When the war started, the keepers fled the zoo, and the animals who survived the bombs suddenly found themselves free. But one of the older lions is worried about the dangers that lurk beyond the gates. "There
Lanica
Sep 08, 2008 Lanica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Most adults.
My sister is stationed in Afghanistan after having been in Iraq a couple years earlier. I send her a care package about once a month and picked this one up on a whim when I was in Barnes & Noble to grab a couple of my favorite books to fit in the latest package.

I held this graphic novel back from that mailing for a few reasons. First, I didn't want to send something with a political message without having read it first. Second, I'm always on the lookout for new books for middle school boys
Melki
Seth T.
Nov 10, 2010 Seth T. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Sometimes, out of the blue, I'll ask my fifteen-month-old daughter: "How does the lion go?" She will then muster up a metric horse-ton of ferocity a give the best little squeak of a Roar that she can manage. It's pretty thoroughly entertaining. Or at least mildly entertaining. Or at least more entertaining than Pride of Baghdad.

It's not even that there' so much anything wrong with Brian K. Vaughan's WE4. Really, the thing is just rather, well, slight. Shave off 75% of its page count and toss it
Lobeck
Dec 08, 2008 Lobeck rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
How did this get on a list of quality comics along with Blankets and Persepolis? This book is complete crap. The story, characters and relationships are dull, shallow and predictable and lack any complexity whatsoever. And those are the books lesser flaws. Most concerning is the translation of human gender roles as conceived by patriarchy to the animal world, thus perpetuating the idea that patriarchy, heterosexuality, and the current gender role paradigm are the "natural" order of things. (If y ...more
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

I REALLY liked this graphic novel. And after Vaughan's gratingly sexist "Y: The Last Man", I thought maybe Vaughan and I were having a falling out. But this just CLICKED for me. The characters - the story - how heartbreaking it was. It does end up alluding to rape (can we ever not use that plot device) and it gets political, but I enjoyed myself f quite a lot.
Christina
Aug 15, 2008 Christina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone who enjoys beautiful artwork and a compelling story told in the form of a graphic novel
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2008
Nicolo Yu
Dec 18, 2011 Nicolo Yu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
This week, the American occupation of Iraq ends as the last U.S. troops withdraw and their bases are turned over to the Iraqi civilian government. This event brings back to mind Brian K. Vaughn and Niko Henrichon’s graphic novel, Pride of Baghdad.

A modern fable set at the beginning of the American led invasion of Iraq, it was inspired by a true story of the fate of the animal abandoned in an Iraqi zoo. Some of animals escaped while their caretakers fled to escape incoming American forces.

Pride
Teresa Jusino
Aug 12, 2007 Teresa Jusino rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: readandreviewed
I'm a sucker for three things, it seems: Brian K. Vaughn, political graphic novels, and animals. I recently picked up a beautiful looking graphic novel I happened upon in a comic book store called "Pride of Baghdad" written by Brian K. Vaughn (writer of Ex Machina, Y: The Last Man, and The Escapists). Its cover has a beautiful, close-up drawing of a lion's face, and Vaughn's name graces the top. When I read the synopsis on the back - a "based on true events" telling of what the streets of Baghda ...more
Amin
Jun 04, 2015 Amin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic-manga, e-books
خلاقیت نویسنده های این کمیک رو باید ستود به خاطر نوع نگاهشون . از نظر گرافیکی هم کار خوبیه به خصوص چند صفحه آخرش که قشنگ مثل عکس میمونه و عالیه . در این حد که من دوست داشتم کیفیت بالاش رو میداشتم بذارم بک گراند پی سی .
Rachel Lightwood
Okay. I've been reading all the reviews about this graphic novel since finishing it and it turns out it isn't so popular. Why? Something to do with the misuse of lion gender roles and the symbolism about the Iraq War is offensive (to some) and just inaccurate (to others). I know nothing about either the Iraq War or lions so my enjoyment of this book seems to stem from my ignorance... oops?

Either way my opinion is just that: my opinion. I'm not going to deny that I really enjoyed Pride of Baghda
Kaitlin
Sep 06, 2015 Kaitlin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-sff-faves
This book is exceptionally thought-provoking, horrific, beautiful and enlightening all at once. I need to think how to say everything I feel about it so I'll probably update my review tomorrow for this, but suffice to say one of the most moving Graphic Novels I have read ever. If you've not read it, read it! It's beautifully illustrated and truly devastating too. Everything you could want. 5*s of course. More thoughts and a more concise review to follow soon!
Alex Telander
j
Dec 10, 2014 j rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Melodramatic, heavy-handed, rather obvious. Still, it managed to manipulate my emotions well enough for a grudging third star.

I didn't like Y:TLM either. At least there's Saga.
La Espada en la Tinta
Los leones de Bagdad es una de las obras más redondas de Brian K. Vaughan y digna de figurar entre los premios de cómic más prestigiosos del género. El hecho de que esté basada en una historia real no hace sino recalcar lo potente que resulta esta fábula protagonizada por animales, sobre todo en el terreno emocional, y que sería digna de figurar en la filmografía de ciertos cineastas como Clint Eastwood.

Sigue leyendo...

بينما الكل يولمها ويخبروها انتي لا تعرفي ما تتمنين

ويأتي الغزو والطائرات تضرب في كادر ساحر عجبني بشدة الخاص بالزرافة

ال
Kristen Fiore
Feb 24, 2012 Kristen Fiore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This graphic novel was not only historical, but it gave me an image on how animals were treated in Bagdad in 2003 during the war.
When I first started to read it, I didn’t think it would end the way it did. The plot is these four lions in the zoo think the “sky is falling”; which is just another way for explaining the air planes and the bombing that is going on. The zoo wasn’t hit until after the zoo keepers tossed a donkey carcass in for the lions. They didn’t understand why they would give t
CH _Kenya  Walker
Feb 10, 2010 CH _Kenya Walker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Pride of Bagdad is the first graphic novel that I read of it's kind. It begins with an explosion that destroys a zoo in Bagdad and leaves the animals free to roam about lost and confused. Told completely through the eyes of a group of hungry and confused lions this book takes you on an adventure as these lion's hunt for food, try to stay alive and try to deal with escaping from captivity. The element of personification is very prevelant in this story as the lion's go through a range of human cha ...more
Gea
Mar 08, 2016 Gea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is about a family of four lions who escape the Baghdad Zoo during the American bombing of Iraq. Safa, an older female was once free but prefers a life of captivity and the security and food it provides. She feels loyalty to the keepers. Noor, mother of the cub Ali, wants to fight for freedom but doesn't understand its true cost. Zill, the adult male, doesn't feel strongly one way or the other. He simply wants to protect his family but captivity has made him soft. All will find that freedom ...more
Natalia
Jul 04, 2015 Natalia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
hay cómics que hacen que te sientes y te plantees qué pasa en la industria del cómic para que no sepan tratar a los personajes femeninos.

bien, partimos de la base que este cómic está basado en hechos reales. pero si os digo la verdad, el interés de la historia no va en si no te sorprende porque ya conoces cómo terminará, sino en que todo el protagonismo lo tienen los animales del zoo (y principalmente los leones). esto, así dicho, suena bastante bien y lo hubiera sido si Vaughan hubiera sabido c
Joca
Nov 16, 2014 Joca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4,5 stars

A minha opinião em vídeo! :D
Chris
Mar 12, 2016 Chris rated it it was ok
Sadly, Pride Of Baghdad just didn't work for me and is the first disappointing book i've read by Brian K. Vaughan, one of my favourite writers.

In 2003, four lions escaped Baghdad Zoo during the USA's bombing of Iraq. Vaughan and artist Niko Henrichon embellish the tale, but despite the relatively short length it's a fairly tedious read. The various animals in the book were given very human-sounding voices that contradicted their animalistic nature.

The book also falls short thematically. The cove
Olivia
Jul 10, 2015 Olivia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a fan of Saga, I felt obligated to read this sometime. This is a quick read, but that doesn't make it any less powerful. Putting lions in the place of humans experiencing the consequences of war is an interesting tactic. Often you associate stories with talking animals with kids but this is so far from a kids book. It takes the whole "walking in someone else's' shoes" to a new level. It's hard for Westerners to imagine how it is to live in such a war torn area, but how about some zoo animals? ...more
JB
Sep 06, 2015 JB rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book for my girlfriend’s birthday. She loves animals, especially lions and other felines.
And she likes reading graphic novels and has enjoyed everything she’s read from Brian K. Vaughan. So when I came across this book, I knew I had to get it for her.

She read it and enjoyed it. Now I’ve read it. And I enjoyed it too. It wasn’t the best thing I’ve ever read, but to be honest not many books are. This would have been a great and thought provoking story if they had used real people, in
Anna Hakopian t (-_-t)
Lions walking free in the midst of an US bombing over Baghdad? Sounds interesting. You can just feel the warmth towards the bigger picture.

We are introduced to a pride of lions who are free when the US airbombs strike the Baghdad Zoo. The pride travels around the city in order to find food. They encounter the destruction of war by man, environmental destruction, animal cruelty and captivity. There are slight resemblance to rape and freedom in a hostile environment.

I wasn't bothered with the ina
Anna
Jul 03, 2015 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
beautifully rendered. simple, and sad.
Paul Capps
Stunning and emotional! This book is magnificent! Brain K. Vaughan’s Pride of Baghdad is another testament to why I love graphic novels!

Pride of Baghdad is based on the true story of four lions escaping from the Baghdad zoo during the initial invasion of Iraq by US forces in 2003. Vaughan fictionalizes the account of these captive lions getting a taste of freedom as their world falls apart around them, literally.

The story follows four lions. Zill, his two wives Noor and Safa, and Ali, Noor and
Animal intelligence?! 3 42 Mar 05, 2013 11:57AM
HPL Late Night Bo...: Our 3rd meeting 1 5 Dec 28, 2011 07:54PM
  • Demo: The Collection
  • Fables, Vol. 12: The Dark Ages
  • Mouse Guard: Fall 1152 (Mouse Guard, #1)
  • We3
  • The Other Side
  • Astonishing X-Men, Vol. 2: Dangerous
  • Beasts of Burden: Animal Rites
  • It's a Bird...
  • Bayou Vol. 1
  • Blacksad
  • Pedro and Me: Friendship, Loss, and What I Learned
  • Transmetropolitan, Vol. 7: Spider's Thrash (Transmetropolitan, #7)
Born in Cleveland in 1976, Brian K. Vaughan is the Eisner, Harvey, and Shuster Award-winning writer and co-creator of the critically acclaimed comics series Y: The Last Man, Runaways, and Ex Machina (picked as one of the ten best works of fiction of 2005 by Entertainment Weekly).

Recently named "Writer of the Year" by Wizard Magazine, and one of the “top ten comic writers of all time” by Comic Boo
More about Brian K. Vaughan...

“There's an old saying, Zill. Freedom can't be given, only earned.” 4 likes