Start by marking “From Cradle to Grave: The Short Lives and Strange Deaths of Marybeth Tinning's Nine Children” as Want to Read:

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,054 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
She drove a school bus in Schenectady, New York. She even worked as a nurse's aide in a pediatric ward. But this seemingly normal woman killed her ninth child by smothering it and is suspected of doing the same to her other eight children--while escaping suspicion for more than a decade.
Published February 1st 1989 by William Morrow & Co (first published January 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about From Cradle to Grave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Cradle to Grave

Serial Killer Case Files by R.J. ParkerThe Stranger Beside Me by Ann RuleUnsolved Serial Killings by R.J. ParkerGreen River, Running Red by Ann RuleThe Manson File by Nikolas Schreck
True Crime--Serial killers
12th out of 92 books — 147 voters
Table 21 by T. Rafael CiminoDeadly Thyme by R.L. NolenThe Manson File by Nikolas SchreckFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie FlaggPerfume by Patrick Süskind
Bizarre Murders
22nd out of 90 books — 88 voters

More lists with this book...

Emma O'shea
Aug 11, 2008 Emma O'shea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes true stories
What goes through someones mind when they are writing something like this. It is an incredible story about a woman (I cannot bring myself to call her a mother, sorry) who has Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy. She killed nine of her own babies, without detection until the end!! What was going on with the authorities!! Anyway, do not read this book while pregnant or with young children it'll be far too upsetting.
Janette
Jul 31, 2007 Janette rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: local interest readers
Creepy as hell, very disturbing look at a mother who killed ALL of her babies! I was interested in reading because it takes place in Schenectady NY near my sons' homes. Couldn't put it down, it made me think of this woman and her husband for quite awhile after reading. They seemed so normal, yet she was a serial killer and he probably knew it.
Debbie
Mar 31, 2015 Debbie rated it really liked it
The story of a mother(Mary Beth)who kills 8 of her 9 children. It shocks me that it took so long for them to actually do something about all the deaths of those babies. She loves all the attention she gets when a child dies which I've heard is typical of MSVP, she also did work in a medical facility which a lot of the times is the case too. Most of the residents who knew her in her small town in New York, believed her story of her children having a genetic disorder.
Kaaron Warren
May 21, 2012 Kaaron Warren rated it really liked it
Shelves:
Reading this book is difficult. Marybeth Tinning's story is upsetting in the extreme, as she kills baby after baby. Egginton tells the story journalistically, with little emotion, reporting the facts. These facts speak for themselves. She shows us interviews with the many, many people who suspected Tinning of murder, and gives us glimpses into the processes.
It does make me feel ill to read it, but I am fascinaed at the same time.
Jessi Witt
Oct 08, 2015 Jessi Witt rated it it was amazing
Egginton does an incredible job of relaying this story. Absolutely fascinating.
Courteney
Jun 09, 2015 Courteney added it
Shelves: true-crime
Juli
Jan 04, 2009 Juli rated it really liked it
Victoria Brown
Mar 20, 2014 Victoria Brown rated it liked it
As much as I hate a book about a mother accused of killing her children...this was an excellent book. It follows the life and trial of Mary beth Tinnings who was accused of killing 8 of her 9 children before she was finally arrested. This of course is a sad story and you keep reading and reading about friends..doctors and coworkers who wish they would have done something after each child. Heartbreaking...it took forever for anyone to stand up and speak out. This book is very well written..flows ...more
Tory Hunz
Dec 12, 2015 Tory Hunz rated it it was amazing
The true story about a disturbed woman who was accused of killing her children over two decades in my hometown Schenectady, New York. Nine children died during this time period and the likelihood of Marybeth Tinning, their mother, being the murderer is for you to decide. It's surreal to read street names and landmarks that I grew up with while not knowing their significance. I highly recommend this book.
Rebecca McNutt
Jun 10, 2015 Rebecca McNutt rated it really liked it
Disturbing and sinister true crime novel with no end to its horror, vividly detailed and unforgettable. It's incredibly sad that these deaths happened, and this book gives the story of the police investigation that brought the killer to justice.
Debbie
Jul 20, 2013 Debbie rated it liked it
Saying that I like a book like this one feels a bit weird. I don't like dead babies, I just enjoy reading about the disturbed lady who had so many of them.

This is a scary account of a typical woman next door, who just so happens to have nine children, all of whom mysteriously died. This book was detailed and well written. Some of it was dated, not surprising since it was written in the late 1980's. For instance, I don't think disassociate disorder as described within the book (basically multipe
Diane
Aug 29, 2010 Diane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of true-crime, those interested in law or medicine
I rated this three stars, not because the book wasn't informative or because it wasn't well written, but because the topic was so disturbing. It wasn't an "enjoyable read" in terms of pleasure.

The book is about Marybeth Tinning, who in the mid 70's through the 80's killed 8 of her 9 children. It was amazing to me (although the book describes how this could be) that it took sooo long for people to catch on or to be able to actually do anything about it. Things have changed considerably from them
Shelia
Dec 04, 2014 Shelia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Boy was this book disturbing. I'm not often a non-fiction reader or even a "true crime" reader but this one peaked my interest....and kept it. All I can say, is sometimes truth is more interesting than fiction.
Roos Boum
Oct 27, 2012 Roos Boum rated it it was amazing
I read the book in Dutch: En toen was het stil.

Zelf overlever zijnde van een moeder die kindermishandeling door Münchhausen by proxy pleegde, moest ik dit boek gelezen hebben. Het boek is een rapport van een onderszoeksjournaliste. Het leest dan ook bijna documentarisch. Zeer goed weergegeven en vooral voor mensen die het niet zelf bij de hand gehad hebben, moet het ongelooflijk zijn dat iemand 8 eigen baby's en 1 geadopteerd kindje kan vermoorden eer er iemand erg in heeft. En het gebeurt nog s
Brandon
May 15, 2015 Brandon rated it really liked it
The dispassionate actions of this unwell and sad woman are much more disturbing than the bulk of fictional works I've read. 4 stars due to the writing and the depth, not because it was "fun" to read.
Charlotte
Apr 14, 2015 Charlotte rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A tragic story but a great book all the same. It's a shame that so many babies had to die before a connection was made.
Apr 23, 2009 Sarah rated it liked it
I wasn't very pleased with the writing in this book. The author wrote on a 9th grade level. It was hard to follow sometimes. The story itself is CREEPY! I'm not sure why I read this book when I am pregnant. This lady is psycho! I'm not sure how anyone could do this to her children. I was more disgusted by the behavior of the people who knew Marybeth Tinning. How could they go all those years and all those children without making a bigger deal about the deaths of her children. Why did it take her ...more
Bonni Sweet
Chilling....I can't believe that no one caught on sooner to what was going on.
Eleanor Thompson
Feb 23, 2014 Eleanor Thompson rated it really liked it
Shelves: true-crime
Well written story about a terrifying subject. It was like a bad car accident...I found myself unable to look away.
Fishface
Jan 22, 2016 Fishface rated it really liked it
Grim tale of a multiple infanticide. Well worth your time.
Karen Belom
Sep 20, 2015 Karen Belom rated it really liked it
Unbelievable
Heidi
Jun 11, 2010 Heidi rated it liked it
This is woman was crying out for help, one would almost feel bad for her. Unfortunately same as when she was a child and ignored by her father, authorities, friends etc. ignored also her until it was far too late. I feel Social Services should also be at fault for this as well as her husband. It seemed like nobody really cared at all about these kids.

Overall good book, I read most of it in one day. It seemed to drag at some parts. I wouldn't recommend this for pregnant mothers, it's creepy.
Rachel
Dec 14, 2009 Rachel rated it liked it
I found this book interesting, but definitely not easy to read. Mostly I found it shocking and frustrating. Nonfiction about a woman who over the course of fourteen or so years, killed eight of her nine children. She was reported to the Child Protective Services (or whatever it was called back then) by family members and coworkers, but nothing came of it. She was even allowed to adopt a child, who didn't make it to the age of three.
Elisa
May 05, 2014 Elisa rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-i-own
Waargebeurde verhalen zijn niet aan mij besteed...
Nora aka Diva
Jul 30, 2010 Nora aka Diva rated it liked it
It's a good book but not for those who are easily upset. It is unnerving that this woman could harm so many of her own children and yet no-one caught on for way too damn long. Munchhausins by proxy what a horrid thing. As a mom myself I just couldn't understand at all why a mother would go over the edge like that.
Cheryl Schibley
Jun 18, 2009 Cheryl Schibley rated it it was amazing
This very sick and murderous woman had Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy which is a mental condition that makes them harm their children because they like the attention they get at the hospitals. Unfortunately, she murdered 8 of her own children before she was finally brought to justice.
Andrea
Dec 06, 2008 Andrea rated it it was amazing
This book was so sad. It's unbelievable the things people got away with back in the 60's and 70's. This was an interesting book for those that want to understand the thought process of the mind. It is sad that no one really paid attention to the warning signs until it was too too late.
Kate
This was my first "adult" book I ever read. I was 12, we were camping, and I had already finished all my reading material for the week. I grabbed this every time my mother put it down. I've always been fascinated by serial killers and this is one of the few female serial killers.
Ashley
Jan 17, 2016 Ashley marked it as to-read
#
NC
Own in hardback.

FS: "A few hours before she killed her infant daughter Tami Lynne, Marybeth Tinning bought her a quantity of Christmas presents."

LS: "Suddenly fearful, the prisoners exchanged looks, remembering what happened to Tami Lynne."
  • Cruel Deception