Start by marking “There Are No Accidents” as Want to Read:
There Are No Accidents

Robert H. Hopcke

There Are No Accidents

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  261 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Think back on all the coincidences that have shaped your life--the homes you lived in, the love stories you created, the jobs you held. Jungian psychotherapist Robert Hopcke shows readers how to sift through life's coincidences in order to better understand the soul and read the map of its destiny. Blending his mastery of storytelling with years of synchronicity reflection...more
Published 2008 (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about There Are No Accidents, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about There Are No Accidents

Vanessa
"Chances are, if this book has found its way into your hands, you are supposed to read it", said the book jacket. So how could I resist? Now that I have read it, I don't know what to make of it. The main premise of it is the author's belief in the Jungian concept of "synchronicity", although he takes synchronicity a step further and adds that for events to be synchronous they also have to be transformative in nature. Essentially then, that there are no accidents; that chance events are meaningfu...more
Frank
La lettura di un libro di questo genere necessita di un atteggiamento particolare; ciò che va assolutamente evitato è il tipo di approccio di chi vuole sapere come stanno le cose nella realtà.

Non è questo lo scopo del libro, né il tipo di risposta che esso può dare al lettore.

Nel senso che l’autore dice e spiega quello che secondo lui è il motivo per cui tutte queste coincidenze vengono da noi notate, a differenza di tante altre che invece ci lasciano indifferenti.

Per spiegarmi meglio voglio dir...more
Qu
The final chapter (Every story has a Beginning and an Ending) I found to be the most interesting. His statements about how hard it is to let go of cause-and-effect ways of thinking when it comes to such things that flatter our ego gave me a lot to think about. I learned quite a bit form Hopcke’s explanation of why he chooses to refer to dreams and other phenomenon that are usually described as predictive, extrasensory or prophetic as synchronistic. Another important thing that I learned from th...more
Sammy Sutton
'Synchronicity and The Stories of Our Lives' The author uses real life stories to reinforce the theory. He seems to be a long time student of the teachings of Carl Jung. His writing is delightful as he works hard to support the theory.
Guy
This is an excellent introduction to synchronicity! When I read it, I was well past requiring an intro to the concept, and hence my 4 star rating. However, included in the book is a fascinating example of a monastic society using synchronicity to choose their abbot.
...these monks choose an abbot by drawing lots from among the [names of every member of the monastery:]: after prayer and ritual, a senior member of the community uses chopsticks to pick out a name from a metal tube, and the person wh
Joe Williamson
Jul 10, 2010 Joe Williamson rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone looking to better understand why "stuff" is happening
The author is a Jungian psychotherapist and presents several cases of synchronicity (or divine providence, depending upon your point of view)which confirms my understanding of the universe that the events of our lives have deeper meaning if we take the time to listen and can provide direction or a sense of calling, i.e. why we are here at this time and place in history.
Devika Koppikar
I read this a while back, but I was quite impressed.

Hopke describes unique coincidences that often occur in our lives - as in the time someone saw a long lost high school classmate in a remote Pacific island.

This book will open your eyes to the synchronicity at work in your life. I love Carl Jung and everything that has to do with his brilliant theories.
Debbianne DeRose
I love the true stories in here---I never get tired of hearing goose-bump inducing accounts of Universal magic, and fortunately for me, the supply is literally unlimited! However, I found myself wishing there were a lot more vignettes and less explaining and introducing and theorizing and summarizing. I certainly don't disagree with anything the author posits, I just grow sleepy from all the posturing. I suppose this book was (is?) targeting a more straight-laced audience, maybe academic even, r...more
Kym Murphy
The first time I read this around 18 years ago I loved it. Due to events in my life I decided to pick it up again and got what I needed. With my knowledge of the universe now I found this book a little lacking on this second read... However I did get what I needed and that's all that counts.
Aurora65
How can I expect too much from a book that starts with a passive title? I shouldn't have. The book is a dose of Jung-lite mixed with lots a stories of - You won't believe what just happened" stories.

In the end the author strains for serious notes- when bad things happen to good people- like the Holocaust. The small stitches of faith near the end also hint at a person who was left their faith for the altar of academia. So either it's not an accident, or it's explainable by a higher power. When i...more
Jessica Green
Pay attention; listen; trust; and act.

This book is a good introduction to Jung's synchronisity for those who are unfamiliar. Hopcke's last sentence sums it up:

"If we bring a symbolic attitude to our lives, searching out the meaning of what happens to us and thereby allowing our own capacity to make wholeness out of the random and disparate events of our lives, then, as this book has shown, no matter what happens in the plot, wherever the setting, whoever the characters, major or minor, we will...more
Aleisha Z Coleman
Jul 07, 2012 Aleisha Z Coleman rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: some people
pleasantly surprised at how well this was written. it was socially scientifically written in that it made a claim, defined it and then gave examples to support that claim. it was easy for me to accept his claims of synchronisity because of this written format. It seems to be largely based on Carl Jung's work. My favorite chapter was the third, "Getting and Spending: Sychronicity and the Work of Our Lives". I have had several experiences that have led me to some of my favorite jobs and experience...more
Karla
Synchros are everywhere in our lives. Reading these stories makes you realize how often they happen and we don't even think to make the connections like we should. Since reading it, I am applying the realizations of connections to my life. Looking for the connections and what they mean makes a big difference in how I live my life.
John
The author emphasizes that synchronicities (as Jung meant) are meaningful subjectively; that is, they are meaningful to the person involved and that's enough. To others they are just coincidences, even if uncanny. But I finished the book with the feeling that the author believes there is more to them than that. The book has a lot of interesting and entertaining examples of synchronicities, some of them remarkable.
Donna
This guy is sort of a Robert Johnson wanna be. A cool book that has interesting things to say about syncronicity. More accessible than Jung but not as straightforward and applicable as Robert Johnson's work. A funny story: while I was reading this book, Ginger was reading a book entitled "Why People Believe Weird Things."
Mary
Aug 24, 2007 Mary rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who listen to their intuition and are willing to accept
Syncronicity deserves contemplation and this book does it well.

Proof that the premise is powerful. I found it in a key spot after my soulmate passed away. A yellow sticky in his beautiful handwriting was attached. "Mary, you might enjoy reading this."

We do learn from every experience... if we listen.
Lori Gertz
I love reading about synchronicity and coincidence....it's not that I believe in determinism, but doesn't much of life feel very choreographed, as if planned way in advance of everything happening? Great book leaving a very thoughtful path in its wake.
Terra Bosart
A fun look at synchronicity through various tales of what appears to be coincidence, but proves to be much more. No profound research value, but fun stories all the same for establishing a definition of synchronicity for the uninitiated.
David
Hopcke, Jungian psychotherapist, explores all the moments of synchronicity surrounding our lives if we'd only look around. It's organized well with some good food for thought. unfortunately, it's drier than stale bread.
Mark
Some wonderful stories of amazing life-changing events, but from the perspective of a rather agnostic author. Ther real miracle is generally lost on him. A nice idea for a book, though!
Verone
Started out interested in it but got bogged down with the extensive story-telling about half-way through. I liked some story-examples but wanted more of a tie to our faith.
Melissa Pratt
Jun 25, 2008 Melissa Pratt is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
i received this book after the death of a long time....Acquaintance. she had so many books and i was drawn to this one. i have just started it, so i will let you know.
~☆ Alice waiting for my apology
This is a book that I own but tend to forget about. I have read it numerous times. I want to add it onto a Listopia so remembered it finally.
Arlene
I found the concept of synchronicity very interesting and I enjoyed the stories, but I got lost in the Jungian terminology sometimes.
_topo_
Un pò prolisso (troppe storie tutte uguali), forse un pò troppo semplificatorio. Penso che convenga leggere direttamente Jung.
Irene
Jungian theory of synchronicity. Things happen because certain circumstances are drawn together to occur from time to time.
Caroline
Scientific approach to the concept of paying attention to events that we call "coincidence".
John K. Ross, MD
Interesting, somewhat loost, discussion of Jung's concept of synchronicity
Nancy
It was too preachy and read too much like a text book.
  • Practical Intuition
  • The Five Things We Cannot Change: And the Happiness We Find by Embracing Them
  • The Invitation
  • Soul Retrieval: Mending the Fragmented Self
  • You Can Be Happy No Matter What: Five Principles for Keeping Life in Perspective
  • The Dark Side of the Light Chasers: Reclaiming Your Power, Creativity, Brilliance and Dreams
  • The Fragrant Mind: Aromatherapy for Personality, Mind, Mood and Emotion
  • The Psychic Pathway: A Workbook for Reawakening the Voice of Your Soul
  • Our Dreaming Mind
  • Heaven and Earth: Making the Psychic Connection
  • The Love Spell: An Erotic Memoir of Spiritual Awakening
  • The Origins of the Mithraic Mysteries: Cosmology and Salvation in the Ancient World
  • Born To Win: Transactional Analysis With Gestalt Experiments
  • When Do Fish Sleep? : An Imponderables' Book
  • Everyday Enlightenment: The Twelve Gateways to Personal Growth
  • The Four-Fold Way: Walking the Paths of the Warrior, Teacher, Healer, and Visionary
  • The Tao of Inner Peace
  • Parker's Astrology: The Definitive Guide to Using Astrology in Every Aspect of Your Life (New Edition)
A Guided Tour of the Collected Works of C.G. Jung Same-Sex Love: And the Path to Wholeness Little Flowers of Francis of Assisi: A New Translation Men's Dreams, Men's Healing A Couple of Friends