Start by marking “Siberia” as Want to Read:
Siberia

Siberia (Colección Graphic Journal #2)

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  72 ratings  ·  16 reviews
In 2000, Nikolaï Maslov, a night watchman and self-taught artist, asked Emmanuel Durand, a French book salesman in Moscow, to look at three panels from a graphic novel he had drawn. Stunned by the intensity of the work, Durand offered Maslov a modest advance to quit his job and finish the book. The result is this extraordinary visual portrayal of Russian life and spirit.

Aw
Published August 4th 2006 by Soft Skull Press (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Siberia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Siberia

Soobie's heartbroken
A differenza delle edizioni straniere di quest'opera, quella italiana raccoglie entrambe le opere di Nikolai Maslov: Gioventù sovietica e Figli d'Ottobre. Vista la differenza tra le due parti, ho deciso di valutare singolarmente le parti.

Gioventù sovietica: .
Questa è la parte migliore. Il racconto, in forma autobiografica, della vita del giovane Kolja dalla scuola al servizio militare in Mongolia fino al trasferimento a Mosca. In mezzo, il tentativo di Kolja di studiare arte ed imparare a disegn
Ana
I had this title in my to read list for years and finally decided to reserve it at my library. I read it one sitting in less than an hour.

I found the art a bit odd at first - all pencil drawings and shades of gray - but once I read a few pages, I saw how it worked so well with the story.

The story was stark, but passionate and finding out afterwards that this was the artist's first (and i think so far) only work made it all even more impressive.

It's a beautiful telling of what it feels like to be
Meribeth
The most fascinating graphic novel ever. Fascinating to know that the author had not read a full graphic novel before writing the book.
Richard
The story of Nikolai Maslov begins in 2000 when he, then a night watchman, opens the door of Emmanuel Durand, a French book salesman in Moscow and the publisher of Asterix in Russian, and shows the Frenchman three pages from a graphic novel, asking him to finance the rest. Stunned by the intensity of the work and life in those panels, Durand allows Maslov to quit his job to concentrate for three years on his work. The result is one of the most disturbing and astonishing visual renderings of the ...more
Sam
This is a superbly and simply drawn autobiography showing the difficulties of life in the Soviet Union, starting with Maslov's childhood and adolescence in the Siberian countryside through his time with the Red Army in Mongolia finishing in a psychiatric hospital following the death of his brother and his subsequent release and struggle for survival in a vodka soaked Moscow. The intensity of the story is reflected in the drawings which uses only the gray tones of pencil work to document his life ...more
René
El vodka no trae la felicidad, sino el embrutecimiento, la pena, la depresión. Lo destruye todo.
Joslyn Dyer
This is a graphic novel. I found it a little depressing, but if you have never attempted a graphic novel this is a good place to start. It is a quick 60 minute read, but it contains so much information about Siberia in the past 50 years. The graphics are detailed pencil drawings that really make you feel the bitter cold of northern Asia. I suggest taking the time to do an internet search of the illustrator/author because this is his autobiography and he is a really amazing guy. This is really go ...more
Hugo
Es muy austero con las palabras, pero muy franco y claro con sus sentimientos, con la decadencias de su pueblo gracias a los vicios. Es un relato muy sencillo, con dibujos a lápiz muy interesantes y conmovedores, unos bellos paisajes de la Siberia desoladora. Son varias historias contadas en orden, con cargas emocionales diversas, lo que le da que cambies la perspectiva de un cuento a otro rápidamente, aun así no se pierde esa sensación de desesperanza que lleva por todo el tebeo.
Sarah Fisher
Omg! I read a graphic novel!

I was recommended others but none of them were at the library. This looked interesting and a nice quick read. Surprisingly, I even enjoyed it.

But seriously...the author is a Russian peasant who grew up during the Soviet period and this is his life work. It's deceptively simple and dreamlike in narrative. His life is completely ordinary by Russian standards yet hard to fathom for Western people.
Lisa Hayden Espenschade
Aug 09, 2010 Lisa Hayden Espenschade rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Lisa by: Saw it at Seattle Public Library
A beautifully drawn autobiography. Maslov shows army service, Siberia, art school, a move to Moscow, and much more, using detailed pencil drawings.

(I wrote about Siberia on my blog here. Thank you to the publisher for sending me a review copy of Siberia.)

Mattias Appelgren
Bleak and grey material. The life in Siberia, the drinking, the violence, the despair. It's all here and ain't always pretty, but still fascinating. Like an insider's view of a Russian way of life drawn in a simple but beautifully efficient style.
Ethan
Couldn't connect with the art but an amazing look at what it would be like to be born in desolate Siberia. It never seemed like a place people actually lived.
Kokeshi
Pencil drawings that evoke the brutality of growing up in 1970's Siberia. An astounding work that will make you glad you didn't grow up there.
Twan
Apr 14, 2013 Twan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
Load of poor people getting drunk and smacking each other in the face. Much like every UK town centre on a friday night.
Kate
Feb 23, 2011 Kate rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
Good counterpoint to [book=Am I a Redundant Human Being?]
German
German marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
ratonfoker
ratonfoker marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
John Muñoz
John Muñoz marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Liam Butler
Liam Butler marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Merijn
Merijn marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
tia
tia marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Rosie Murphy
Rosie Murphy marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Sandeeprvss
Sandeeprvss marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

Colección Graphic Journal (2 books)
  • Brancaccio: Chronique D'une Mafia Ordinaire
Il Était Une Fois La Sibérie:  Première Époque,Trilogie Une Jeunesse Soviétique

“Nel mio paese, la vodka non porta alcuna gioia. Porta abbruttimento, rimorso, depressione. Distrugge ogni cosa.” 0 likes