Start by marking “Must Try Harder!: The Very Worst Howlers By Schoolchildren” as Want to Read:
Must Try Harder!: The Very Worst Howlers By Schoolchildren

Must Try Harder!: The Very Worst Howlers By Schoolchildren (Mr. McGreevy's Absolute Howlers #2)

Offers a collection of howlers such as: Coal is decayed vegetarians; Socrates died of an overdose of wedlock; Joan of Arc was burnt to a steak; The King wore a scarlet robe trimmed with vermin; In the middle of the 18th Century all the morons moved to Utah; and, The German Emperor's lower passage was blocked by the English.
Published November 1st 2007 by Constable & Robinson

To ask other readers questions about Must Try Harder!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Must Try Harder!

Marte Patel
Dec 30, 2009 Marte Patel rated it liked it
Shelves: humour
This book was much funnier than F in Exams! I laughed out loud a couple of times and I would recommend it!
Faye
Dec 26, 2011 Faye rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: humour
This is probably one of the funniest books ever. It's so funny, I would strongly advise you not to read it in public. The book is a collection of funny things schoolchildren wrote in their exam papers and student essays, innocently. This is about how they were struggling with the banana skins of the English language. Mr. McGreevy collected them during his years of teaching. I can only imagine the amount of smiles, chuckles and laughter he must've had during those years.

"When Elizabeth exposed he
Andrew
Apr 05, 2012 Andrew rated it liked it
Ok another quick read - there is something to be said about avalanches of books caused by over curious cats. This was one that I found as I was clearing up the debris. Small book full of simple little quips and quotes. Fun to read and yes there are more than enough of these little snippets of humour at the expense of other ignorance but still this is a fun book to read - thats 15 mins taken care of!
Troy Simpson
Jan 30, 2010 Troy Simpson rated it really liked it
As a "Best of" book, Must Try Harder draws quite heavily on howlers that have been published before -- most notably, in the Howlers books by Cecil Hunt and the books by Alexander Abingdon and Dr Seuss in the 1930s. But the drawings are a fresh addition. And if you're new to howlers collections, then this book is a good introduction to the popular genre.
Gary Varga
Jan 02, 2012 Gary Varga rated it it was ok
This compilation highlights that some children are getting a terrible education and also that some mistakes are made under examination conditions. Mainly the former I feel.

Amusing at times but there are too many homonyms (? words that sound the same but are spelt differently) or similar that it feels like a lazy compilation.
Leanne Bell
You can't really review these type of books very easily without giving anything away so i'm going to settle by saying that everything in here had me laughing out loud, which i'm sure came accross as weird since i was sitting on the bus. Your sides will be aching from laughing so much :-)
Anneleen
Jan 22, 2016 Anneleen rated it liked it
Sommige dingen waren echt wel grappig, maar de meeste waren gewoon. Zoals met de andere boekjes: ik heb het al een keer gezien op het internet..
(Wel leuker dan die boekjes van Richard Benson vind ik persoonlijk.)
Jun 14, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it
they warned me not to read it in one sitting, and while I've read the firsts half back in november when my friend gave it to me, i technically just read it all in one sitting and was cry laughing the whole. damn. time
Voirrey
Dec 26, 2013 Voirrey rated it it was amazing
Exactly as it says - and it kept my daughter and I much amused as we dipped in and out of it as we did our Christmas preparations.
Larisa
Nov 09, 2016 Larisa rated it really liked it
Post-election reading.
Pat Olver
Pat Olver rated it it was ok
Mar 10, 2015
Lisa Porter
Lisa Porter rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2014
Georgia
Georgia rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2013
Xime Lage
Xime Lage rated it liked it
Sep 20, 2009
Craig
Craig rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2014
Amanda
Amanda rated it liked it
Dec 17, 2015
Ellen Lesser
Ellen Lesser rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2014
Elaine
Elaine rated it it was ok
Nov 02, 2012
amy smith
amy smith rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2015
Mike Hammond
Mike Hammond rated it it was amazing
Oct 31, 2014
Nicole A Adams
Nicole A Adams rated it did not like it
Jan 22, 2017
Angela Joyce
Dec 28, 2010 Angela Joyce rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fun
Oh my heavens. I got the hiccups from laughing so hard.
Hollie
Hollie rated it it was ok
Mar 17, 2013
Nathan Mallon
Nathan Mallon rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2013
Eileen Yeomans
Eileen Yeomans rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2015
Richard
Richard rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2016
ॐ Pixie
ॐ Pixie rated it it was amazing
Oct 04, 2012
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2010
Angela
Angela rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2014
John Lewis
John Lewis rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2017

Mr. McGreevy's Absolute Howlers (3 books)
  • Mr. McGreevy's Absolute Howlers
  • Could Do Better: More of the Very Worst Howlers by Schoolchildren.