Start by marking “Another Quiet American: Stories Of Life In Laos” as Want to Read:
Another Quiet American: Stories Of Life In Laos

Another Quiet American: Stories Of Life In Laos

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  121 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Brett Dakin spent two years working in Laos and returned to the States a changed man. In Another Quiet American, he takes you through the corridors of power and the living rooms of the poor in Laos.

You'll meet his boss, a wealthy general whose power and reputation scares his countrymen; a prince with connections to the French colonial past; an American pilot who left home

Published October 1st 2003 by Asia Books

To ask other readers questions about Another Quiet American, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Another Quiet American

Charlotte
I picked up this book on Suvarnabhum in Bangkok to have something to read on the plane, and I am so glad I did. Having recently returned from my year in Laos I cannot say anything else but: I love this book.
It's fascinating to read about how the Laos I know and love has changed so much in just 15 years. This book speaks of Laos in the way I think about the country, with frustration, love and fascination.
Nancy Clark
In 1997, after graduating from Princeton, the author spends 2 years working in Laos as a marketing consultant to the National Tourism Authority - something he knows nothing about and the government apparently has no idea what it expects. This is is a collections of stories and observations of his time there and they give a youthful, wide-eyed view of a country that most Americans know little about. Things have changed since he was there, but it is still a great background book for travel to SE A ...more
Ralph
Aug 16, 2007 Ralph rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those interested in a young man's adventures in Southeast Asia
O.K., I am biased. I am currently a volunteer teacher in Laos and this book is about as good an introduction to the people and the country as you are going to get. Mr. Dakin is the naive young American who comes to Laos to offer his services in any way he can - and the trials and tribulations which ensue. An interesting introduction to Laos and it's people by someone who cares.
Pretty good book about Laos. I wouldn't necessarily call it a compelling read as it's a bunch of snippets from the author's two years in Laos, but it is very accurate and provides a lot of info about a country that the rest of the world knows very little about. A good book if you want to look see a culture quite alien from western life.
Lori Watson koenig
Good depiction of life in laos in modern times (I guess..I haven't been there). I learned alot about Laos from reading this book. I was particularly interested in Royal family influences and roles and the author was able to fit that and alot more information in the book without making it feel like a history textbook.
Dominic
Oct 31, 2007 Dominic rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those interested in Laos and SE Asia
An amazing insight into Laos and it's people. I went to Laos earlier in the year and had no idea about the political turmoil and policies in place. It appears that government are very clever with their cover ups.

I found the discussion of Laos communism pretty interesting. A decent read.
Katie
Maybe more like 2.5 stars.

This has a bit of compelling information unique to Laos mixed in with a bunch of other things that would seem to apply to any developing, corrupt country. An easy read for those traveling to Laos, but don't spend too much time or money on it.
Jessica
Great snapshot of life in Vientiane, Laos prior to the 'tourist boom'. Also a good look into what it is like to live and work in a developing country.
I thouroughly enjoyed it particularly because I currently work for a non-profit just across the Mekong.
Katie
I've had difficulty finding any books about Laos, so when I picked this one up, I wasn't expecting much. But I enjoyed all of the author's vignettes about his time working in Laos, and I hope it gave me a glimpse into Lao culture.
Annie
Interesting read of the modern history of Laos from the perspective of a young bright american. Anyone interested in Asia, and Laos , this is a good imteresting and entertaining read.
Neal Quillinan
A biography on the author's years in Laos that is rather dated and provides minimal night into any of the topics discussed.
Maryannkeon
I was traveling in Laos when I read this and it gave me some interesting insight and perspective.
Rodrigo Pérez
Very interesting book about the life of an american expatriat in Laos.
Seng
Mar 29, 2011 Seng added it
it was an excellent read!
Kamil
Kamil marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Mark A.
Mark A. marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Lora Allen
Lora Allen marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Donna Woodman
Donna Woodman marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Sheemtana Shameem
Sheemtana Shameem marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Cheri
Cheri marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Andrew Sykes
Andrew Sykes is currently reading it
Oct 16, 2014
William
William marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Memoirs of a Gas Station: A Delightfully Awkward Journey Across the Alaskan Tundra
  • Backpacked: A Reluctant Trip Across Central America
  • The Adventures of Bindi Girl: Diving Deep Into the Heart of India
  • A Dragon Apparent: Travels in Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam
  • 17 Cents and a Dream
  • Medicine Men:  Extreme Appalachian Doctoring
  • Ant Egg Soup: The Adventures of a Food Tourist in Laos
  • Trailing: A Memoir
  • Yellow Green Beret: Stories of an Asian-American Stumbling Around U.S. Army Special Forces: 1
  • A Mother's Trial
  • Next Life in the Afternoon: A Journey Through Thailand
  • Rex and the City: A Memoir of a Woman, a Man and the Rescue Dog Who Rescued Their Relationship
  • Remembering Judith
  • Blind But Now I See: The Biography of Music Legend Doc Watson
  • Malaika
  • For Fukui's Sake: Two Years In Rural Japan
  • His First, Her Last: The Incredible True Story of an American Lost in the Philippines
  • In the Mirror, A Memoir of Shattered Secrets