Pat the Bunny

Pat the Bunny

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  13,574 ratings  ·  261 reviews
This deluxe, oversized edition of the evergreen classic touch-and-feel book, pat the bunny, features two exclusive spreads not included in the original. It makes the perfect gift for every baby!
Novelty Book, Collector's Edition, 24 pages
Published August 9th 2011 by Golden Books (first published 1940)

To ask other readers questions about Pat the Bunny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pat the Bunny

Chris
I don't know if one can review this book. It's Pat The Bunny. You get to pat the bunny. How cool is that? All the activities in the book are things kids do -- except patting the bunny. Is that a normal childhood activity, patting bunnies? I don't remember patting that many bunnies. Well, we did own Marshmallow (or Thumbalina, depending on which kid you asked -- there'd been a disagreement over who had the right to name the rabbit), but we didn't pat it all that often. Bunnies aren't that friendl...more
Karey
All three of my children went through a couple of copies of Pat the Bunny until they were tattered and torn. It is a wonderfully tactile book that gives every excuse to snuggle up with a child. That is the true language of a children's book: the language of love that passes between a parent and child. It has very little to do with words.
Kari
Dec 23, 2007 Kari rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: tots who love to interact with their books
Three things I love about this book:

1. The smell of the flowers
2. The weird retro look of the family
3. How my daughter reacts to the book: Examples:
Instead of patting the bunny, she PRESSES it really hard. She delights in playing peek-a-boo with Paul. Oh, and she says that "daddy" looks like me, her mommy.
Jeremy
Bunnies disgust me.
Karen
This year for Easter, my little boy got a basket of books. He also received some small stuffed animals and a little chocolate, but mostly he got books. He loved it. And he loved this book to pieces, literally. In fact, after I write this review I will have to try to mend the book.

I bought this book for his Easter basket because it was on the South Carolina Libraries list of 100 Picture Books for Toddlers. I did not own this book as a child and my mom won't admit to owning a copy. Before I purcha...more
Emily
My three kids (6, 4, and 2) enjoy reading this sweet book before bedtime. What makes it so appealing is that it's more than just a touch and feel book--it uses so many senses. Besides patting the bunny and feeling daddy's whiskers, you also smell the flowers, lift a cloth to play peek-a-boo, turn little tiny pages on a little tiny book, and fit your finger through Mummy's ring. One of the first tactile books and definitely one of the best. I like the simple artwork.
Vivian
As one of the very first lift-the-flap texture books for young children, this has won its way into many a home and early-childhood memory. As a mom and a children's librarian I found myself creating kits inspired by this book for my own children and library friends to make.
Nancy
My daughter loved this book, especially the sandpaper for "Daddy's whiskers." And of course, my niece has Bunny who has "lots of stitches" (in her words) because he is so well loved.
Sara
I did not own a Pat the Bunny book (that I remember, anyway) but I believe I had nieces and nephews with this book. I love this book. I've spent time in bookstores patting the bunny.
Emma
I read this with my cousin JD:-) I don't know what was more fun...reading this cute book, or seeing how happy it made may cousin!!!!! I think seeing my cousin so happy:-)
Snarky's
Cute, sweet and surprisingly addictive, even if you're a grown up. I loved reading this to my niece when she was a baby. Hell, I read it long after she'd made it to kindergarten.
Michael
A very basic children's book that seems to revolve around the idea of stretching a child's development and understanding in reading.

Dorothy Kunhardt has written a simple book that would appeal to very young children (3+) - whilst the repetitive nature of the book is great for expanding a very young child's ability in reading, older children the book would seem somewhat unappealing as the there is no narrative.

The bright images used in the book are great for young children to keep them engaged an...more
W.B.
I liked Samuel Beckett's version better.
Wade
One of the creepiest kids books ever.
Josiah
Pat the Bunny, it can be said, was the forerunner of a whole new style of book, and as such should be given ample credit for the inherent creativity in its design. First released in 1940, I can imagine that Pat the Bunny stood head and shoulders above most other books for preschoolers of its day, interacting as it did with all of the senses (including smell, assuming that the special anniversary edition I read is a completely faithful replica of the original).

While the book is a very short on...more
Fjóla
Apr 22, 2014 Fjóla rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: infants and toddlers, 0 - 2 years olds, baby shower gift
This book is particularly dear to us because we received it as a baby shower gift from a 101 years old lady by the name of ... Dorothy. We read it together many times a week when my son was in infancy (and he still brings it out to read every so often). It's sweet and unpretentious, and it's interactive providing the following activities: you can pat the bunny's fur, touch daddy's scratchy unshaved face, look in the mirror, play peek-a-boo, smell the flowers, read a book, try a ring on. It's so...more
Linda
This is my second purchase from the 1001 books to read before you grow up challenge that I intend to read to my granddaughter. How I missed this classic touch and feel book in round one is beyond me. Toddler girl loves this book! It is not culturally diverse and very traditional middle class family but it is still a favorite. Toddler now uses the word "pat" frequently in conversation appropriately.
Kat
Feb 23, 2008 Kat rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: good babies everywhere
We went through about 5 or 6 of these books. One got gummed by my son and it became stuck together. (note to self -- never assume a book in a car seat is a good thing. It becomes a teething ring). We had tears, rips, and bent pages in one. We loved and loved and touched and drooled. I use the we since the book was a shared experience with a parent, but this book was a tactile delight. I loved the simple, almost ugly pictures. Glob-like people, bunnies, cats, dogs etc. in Easter egg colors, but t...more
Kim Reece
Clever idea, and we were given this book by a friend who had enjoyed it greatly as a kid. However, we could not read it even once!

The book smelled like terrible perfume (I eventually tracked this to the 'smell a flower' page once my headache subsided), and had to be bagged and set aside.

I hoped the awful smell would dissipate after a few months, but it did not. This book is unusable.
Camille Ryckman
Brief summary - This is a simple book with interactive pages. There is not a strong storyline but children really enjoy this book
Annotation
This is a great touch and feel book with a variety of interactive experiences for kids, especially patting the bunny.
Age appropriateness for 3months - 3years
Connection to six early literacy skills
This book is a good example of print motivation, it shows babies the components of a book and gives them a sense of how to follow a story.
Five practices - the talkin...more
Diane
Lovely board book for little tots. Sweet and tactile, which is the main point, to enhance the experience of being read to before one can understand words and is only just grasping pictures. Once your little one begins to enjoy this book, they may long after ask for it to be read to them or pick it up themselves.
David Ward
Pat the Bunny by Dorothy Kunhardt (Nonfiction) is the first book that my first child was able to interact with! It's a tactile delight for infants and toddlers; the pages have various fabrics and coverings attached, and each is made to be touched by soft little fingers! For instance, the book is not about a rabbit named "Pat;" it's an instruction to the listener as in "Pat/touch the picture of the bunny on the page that's made of soft curly wool." Another page shows a picture of a daddy holding...more
Asho
How do you review Pat the Bunny? It's almost more a toy than a book, with pages to touch and smell and flaps to lift. My baby is too little to appreciate it at this point and it doesn't really work as just a storybook for bedtime, but I look forward to the day when he can play with this.
UPDATED MAY 2013: Well, the day has arrived! My son suddenly LOVES Pat the Bunny. He carried it around the house for a good hour yesterday, doing all of the activities in the book (playing peek-a-boo, smelling th...more
Allison
Sep 23, 2011 Allison rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Toddlers and up
Recommended to Allison by: 1001 CBYMRBYGU
Shelves: 1001-cbymrbygu
I really like the interactiveness of this book. I'd really like to see it in a variety of formats because the only thing I don't like about it is the "Dick and Jane" blonde-haired purely Caucasian-ness of the characters. The world I live in, the world I've raised my children in, it's a very diverse one. I have a preference for diversity in the literature I read and that I recommend. One of the reasons animal characters are so fabulous in children's books is that they can defy classification. A g...more
Deborah
It was so fun to watch my baby daughter interact completely with this book. Now she is almost two, is fully conversational, and still loves it. She will bring it to me, sit on my lap, and ask me to read it to her. Among her favorite activities: Patting the bunny (of course), playing peek-a-boo with Paul, reading Judy's little book, smelling the flowers, looking in the mirror, and feeling daddy's scratchy face. Notwithstanding the book's sort of delicate construction, it has held up very well ove...more
Marjorie Brewer
This book is perfect for very, very young children who want to interact with their books. Pat the Bunny is such a timeless, classic but there is not much depth and there is only a small range of children it can be used for.
Robert
Sep 26, 2011 Robert rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Robert by: flowers22
12 July 2010
My sister recommended this book to me several years ago. When I heard the title, I assumed this was a book about a bunny named Pat. Ha!

A simple little book, but it is very exciting for toddlers as it is interactive. Both of my children have been excited when they read it.

Tonight my son selected this from the bookshelf. We would still be reading it if it were up to him. Judy and Paul can do lots of things. As we see, so can our children.
****
26 September 2011

Surprisingly, the boy selec...more
Traci
My young toddler loves interactive books. We've learned a lot about senses (especially smelling something) from this book and he has me read it to him often when I stay with him during the day.
Carol
This book has a special place in my heart, because it has such a special place in my daughter's heart. I'm not sure which she fell in love with first -- the book or the stuffed Pat the Bunny her grandmother bought. (Actually, Nana bought Bunny for her older sister, but Jo fell in love with him at first sight and pretty much stole him. However, that is a deep dark family secret, as Jo is convinced that Nana gave Bunny to HER.)

Anyway, about the book: Like, "Good Night Moon," it is essential readin...more
Paul Farbman
Jan 28, 2014 Paul Farbman rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Very young children and their parents.
Recommended to Paul by: Terry Benton
This was an interactive book for children ages 0-2 that we discussed in my children's literature course. It gives an example of children doing something and asks the reader to do it as well.

I enjoyed the interactive app that our instructor showed us. The music in it really enhances the activities.
UEL Primary PGCE ...: review 4 1 4 Sep 03, 2014 09:03AM
  • Peek-a-Who?
  • Richard Scarry's Best Word Book Ever
  • Tickle, Tickle
  • Good Dog, Carl
  • The Going-To-Bed Book
  • Where's Spot? (Picture Puffin - Lift-the-flap book)
  • The Runaway Bunny
  • Time for Bed
  • The Elephant and the Bad Baby
  • Jamberry
  • Daddy Kisses
  • Where Is Baby's Belly Button?
  • Bedtime for Frances
  • Angelina Ballerina
  • On the Night You Were Born
Dorothy Kunhardt was the author of over 50 children's book, including the legendary interactive baby book, Pat the Bunny. She was also a historian, writing several books about 19th century America, including a well-known account of the aftermath of Lincoln's assassination.
More about Dorothy Kunhardt...
Sleepy Bunny ( Pat the Bunny) Cloth Book Pat the Bunny: Alphabet Book (Picture Book) Twenty Days: A Narrative in Text and Pictures of the Assassination of Abraham Lincoln and the Twenty Days and Nights That Followed--The Nation in Mourning, the Long Trip Home to Springfield Dorothy Kunhardt's Kitty's New Doll Junket Is Nice