Start by marking “Gifts” as Want to Read:
Gifts

Gifts

Grandma is taking a trip around the world, and she's bringing back wonderful gifts--a baobab seed from Africa, a didgeridoo from Australia, a rainbow from Hawaii, and more. Grandma's treasures come to life in this marvelous introduction to countries and cultures around the world. Full color.
Published April 1st 1996 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about Gifts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gifts

Sunny Shaffner
Feb 11, 2015 Sunny Shaffner rated it it was amazing
I love this book both for the story and for the art work! There is an unbelievable amount of detail in pictures made from clay, and it gives the reader the feeling that the images are jumping out of the page. I also think it's great to see such a cool grandmother character who inspires future generations! It's a book that really stands out from my childhood and is a nice introduction to other countries/cultures to start exploring these with kids. Also, this is a rhyming book and it has a repetit ...more
Courtney
Grandma decides to travel around the world, and as she visits each place she finds fascinating souveniers for her granddaughter.

Barbara Reid did the illustrations for this book by moulding plasticine and pressing it onto 'illustration board'. She also used acrylic glazes or paints for effect, to make something look shiny, like gold or silver objects and details.
Helen
May 06, 2012 Helen rated it really liked it
Shelves: april10-may10
This is a plasticine picture book that talks about a little girl and her grandma who brings her gifts from her adventures around the world.

I picked up this book to look at the plasticine illustrations.
I finished it so I could see all the pictures.

I would recommend this to Michelle T. because she is also very itnerested in art and I think she would appreciate the details and textures of the plasticine like I did.
Jul 28, 2011 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A grandmother travels around the world sending back gifts to her granddaughter. We see them each age and grow until a time comes when the granddaughter shares travelling gifts with her child, although in a very different way. Barbara Reid's plasticine pictures are stunning and charming at the same time.
Sep 02, 2012 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Amazing illustrations created with clay are the highlight of this picture book about a grandmother who travels to all of the contents and asks her granddaughter what she'd like as a gift from each place. The girl asks for creative presents like "a rainbow to wear as a ring..."
Vanessa
Dec 26, 2012 Vanessa rated it it was amazing
... Une histoire plutôt simple... Les illustrations sont INCROYABLES ! Les détails, m'ont fait revenir plusieurs pages en arrières pour examiner les détails. Magnifique travail :)
Amy
Sep 02, 2012 Amy rated it it was amazing
wow the art work in this book is so detailed and really is incredible. check it out.
Melissa

Pam Klassen-dueck
Dec 04, 2012 Pam Klassen-dueck rated it really liked it
Sweet :)
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Aprils
Aprils rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2016
Grace
Grace rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2016
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2016
Dawnlo2000
Dawnlo2000 rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2016
Cristina
Cristina marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2016
Sarah added it
Jun 22, 2016
Trey Veazey
Trey Veazey marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Davina
Davina marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Antonio Engram
Antonio Engram rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2016
Aida
Aida added it
Dec 14, 2015
Michelle King
Michelle King rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2015
Jessica Anne
Jessica Anne marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2015
Ashley
Ashley rated it liked it
Oct 11, 2015
Lindsay
Lindsay marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2015
Abeer
Abeer added it
Sep 28, 2015
Silvana
Silvana marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Laurie
Laurie rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2015