Start by marking “Ginger” as Want to Read:

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  163 ratings  ·  28 reviews
A perfect tale for cat lovers—and for younger siblings.

Ginger the cat lives a comfortable, well-tended life. But when a pesky kitten moves in, Ginger's days of ease are over. Now it seems he must share his bed and his meals with the intruder forever! What is a pampered cat to do? The award-winning Charlotte Voake knows all about cats and their peculiar ways, as every reade
Published March 3rd 1997 by Candlewick Press (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Ginger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ginger

Lisa Vegan
Jan 19, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: cat lovers; children who have or are about to have younger sibling interlopers in their lives
Recommended to Lisa by: Kathryn
Thanks to Goodreads friend Kathryn for alerting me to this book, and to Goodreads friends Barbara and Jackie for their comments about it. Because of the positive clamor, I read this almost immediately rather than letting it get lost in the sea of books that is my to-read shelf.

I started smiling as soon as I started reading this delightful book. Voake knows cats very well and she perfectly captures their poses, expressions, behaviors, and feelings. I just loved the illustrations of the cat &
Jackie "the Librarian"
Charlotte Voake must have cats, because she has perfectly captured cat feelings and expressions here in this funny charming story. Ginger is very put out when his owner brings in a kitten to disturb his happy home. The kitten plays with Ginger's tail, eats his food, and tried to climb in his basket. He's a very naughty kitten!
That's when Ginger decides he has had it - it is time to go. His owner, a young girl, finds him in the garden in the rain. To appease him, she gives the kitten its own box
A cute, humorous tale with absolutely charming cat illustrations (Voake really knows her cats!) about Ginger, a pampered only-cat who wakes one day to find that he is no longer the only cat in his little girl's heart. The new kitten is SO annoying eating Ginger's food, sleeping in Ginger's bed...! Okay, actually, Kitty is extremely cute but poor Ginger is really jealous. But, there's a happy ending and this would make a great story not only for cat lovers but for only-children who find they must ...more
. اليازية خليفة
القصة بسيطة جداً، محورها الهر "جينجر" الذي غضب من قدوم هرة صغيرة تتبعه وتحاكيه في كل شيء، كما أنها تأكل طعامه وتنام في مكانه.

قرر جينجر ترك البيت لأن صاحبته الفتاة أهملته وتركته مع الهرة الصغيرة. كيف عاد الهر جينجر إلى البيت وكيف أصبحت العلاقة بينه وبين الهرة سؤالين محوريين أجابت عنه الكاتبة ببساطة تعكس واقع العديد من القطط.

أحببت البساطة في الرسم، فلا يوجد أي خلفيات في الصفحة، فقط الشخصية المعنية ، كما أن الخط كبير جداً يسهل للأطفال قراءته.
Simple, simple, simple book. If you have more than one cat you will totally laugh at the end. Maybe you will laugh even if you don't have cats.

I think this sort of thing happens in every cat household. I see the gears moving in their brains, plotting it all out. I won't tell you what "it" is...that would spoil the fun.
This story will appeal to a lot of children as cats seem to appeal to young children. Ginger is happy and content in his home but then his owner decides to get a kitten and the kitten wants to share his bed, his food etc. His world has now totally changed and he decides enough is enough and decides to run away. But he's found and brought back to his home and decides life is not too bad sharing!!!
This book is about a cat, and how a new kitten has come into its life and disrupted this cat’s way of life. This older cat gets so aggravated that it leaves. And its owner is sad because she can’t find her old cat. But she eventually finds him outside under a bush. And after a while the old cat and the kitten learn how to get along.
This book is excellent because it shows the true attitude of cats. It has great art work, and shows some funny pictures of how a cat would react to a kitten. It is a
Robert J
The older cat is bothered by the new kitten that invades his space. In the end they get along. Great book to read to a young child who feels a little threatened by the new arrival. Cute illustrations in a larger format book.
Angie Elliott
Great book. It has fun illustrations and can be used to teach about sharing!
A nice follow-up to our first peek at Ginger, the rescue cat. Here with a short, amusing story of is new naughty kitten friend. The girls laugh at this one!
such a cute story i need this when i was little
Pretty basic and realistic cat story.
I liked this book very much because I grew up with cats in my house, and I saw this interaction first-hand. Ginger is an older cat who gets very put off by having a new kitten in the house. They eventually become friends, but it takes a good while before that happens. Cats are ornery creatures, and the author captured that idea very well in this book.

The pictures are easy to see and the text is large, also. It is a short read that would be good for Kindergarten readers and under.
I am so over cats, but I still love this book : ) I bought it when Maddie was a baby with two others in a Candlewick Press promotion— buy 2, get 1 free. Those three books have always been among my favorites! (One Duck Stuck, Owl Babies, and this one).
Ginny Messina
Anyone who knows cats will immediately recognize that look on Ginger’s face when the kitten tries to crawl into bed with him. (And I loved that Ginger was a boy--didn't expect that at all.) Great illustrations and a nice story with a very funny ending.
This is cute, and another fun book for any animal fan. My son enjoyed looking at the pictures of the cat and kitten. Clearly, the author knows cats, and this book ends in an amusing way.
So cute! There's an illustration of the tiny kitten's bed and the huge cat Ginger cramming himself in there with him.
Inspired Kathy
A new kitten is brought home and Ginger the cat didn't really want a new friend. Large print on pages.
A great picture book for cat lovers! About an old cat who is forced to accept a new kitten in the house.
Cute read aloud for kindergarten and first graders, good read a lone for second and third graders
just like our own cats
really cute story and illustrations
old cat adapting to new kitten
Two cats learn to get along in a very true-to-life fashion. Beautifully illustrated.
Jade Saleem
This a good book to read to second graders. This book i about a catnamed Ginger.
A cute story about an old cat adapting to his owner bringing home a new kitten.
Cute cute. About a cat who is unhappy about a new kitten running around.
Library Pick: I am betrayed as a cat lover, this book is pretty darn cute.
I love this story!
May 20, 2009 Cws added it
Shelves: jear
Paige marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2015
WCNS marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Cinder-Eyed Cats
  • Pigs Aplenty, Pigs Galore!
  • Angus and the Cat
  • The Great Gracie Chase - Stop That Dog!
  • Mr. Cookie Baker
  • Put It On the List!
  • Kipper's A to Z: An Alphabet Adventure
  • There's Something in My Attic
  • The Color Kittens
"I don’t know that I’m a funny person," says author-illustrator Charlotte Voake. "But it seems when I begin to draw that the characters change, and they take on this amusing and amused look." Indeed, her illustrations are widely loved for this very quality of gentle wit, not to mention their quiet observation, airy exuberance, and utter charm.

Born and raised in Wales, Charlotte Voake says that boo
More about Charlotte Voake...