Start by marking “Orchid (St. Helen's, #3)” as Want to Read:
Orchid (St. Helen's, #3)

Orchid (St. Helens #3)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  2,775 ratings  ·  67 reviews
New York Times bestselling author JAYNE CASTLE

The wildly popular alter ego of bestselling author Jayne Ann Krentz creates "delectably entertaining paranormal romantic suspense" (Booklist) in the "unique, synergistic world of St. Helens (Library Journal), the not-so-distant space colony where hearts and minds are gloriously in sync!

A top psychic for exclusive Psynergy Inc.,
Published May 1st 1998 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about Orchid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Orchid

Cindy
Third and last in the St. Helens series, this book pulls in the last of the three friends who fought off pirates on the islands. They are all exotic talents with extremely strong abilities that they've had to hide. Rafe is a strat talent (Familiar to those who enjoy the Arcane Society books) and made his own way in the world until his grandfather was ready to retire and he came back to take over the family business. There are complications there with a cousin who's a tech talent and feels that t ...more
Dakota
classic JAK loved it!! I will definitely have to find the first 2 books in the series
Amyiw
May 05, 2015 Amyiw rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2015, pnr, 1may
2 1/2 stars
Something was missing for me in this book. Maybe I should have read something in between the 2nd and this one. The characters are again very similar to book one, and book 2. They just didn't seem to connect as well for me chemistry wise. Might have been a little bored with the same characters. But still that wasn't my biggest problem, the mystery was way too convoluted, too many bad guys, too many bad plots points, too many murders that were obviously connected to Orchid yet over look
Maria
This is the third in this series and I love all three. Hopefully Ms. Krentz will get back to writing about St. Helens and Psynergy, Inc. Each has its own special twist. In this one, Orchid Adams is an ice-prism and a romance writer on another world, St. Helens. Rafe Stonebraker is a delightful strat-talent, a hunter of prey. Ms. Krentz manages to keep Rafe wonderfully in character throughout the book, which is both funny and believable in an other-worldly way.
Matthew
It's not really bad. The plot is essentially the same as the previous two Jayne Castle books I read. As are the characters. And the magical system. She just changes the names and cranks them out. The bad guys were slightly more surprising than the other two books I read. I like how the details of the magic change from book to book and it is a fascinating system, but I don't think it makes up for the lack of good pacing, plotting, and character development in the books.
Lyn
This was the first of the alternate universe books I read by Jayne (and this was after reading several under her alter ego Jayne Ann Krentz). Now, I've read just about all of them, and eagerly await each new one making it into paperback.
Lidia
It 's nice to read a book written well, where the story is original, funny, romantic. Rafe and Orchid are the protagonists and together they own a beautiful couple. And then there's adventure, action, funny lines.
Mary
Jan 06, 2008 Mary rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: trashy romance likers
Have read this about a million times but am generally always in the middle of something brainless. It's trashy romance meets psychics on a different planet. Yeah, I know, but it's better than it sounds.
LibraryLass

World: 4/5
Romance: 3.5/5

Enjoyment level: 4/5 stars
Barbra
Loved this series and only wish there were more. The physic part keeps up your interest.
Barbara
I love Janye Castle's futuristic stories about people from Earth who traveled to new worlds via a strange "Curtain," which then disappeared, leaving them stranded with Earth technology that wouldn't work. They developed psychic abilities, which manifested in each of them in different ways. Orchid is the story of Orchid Adams, a romance writer and part-time psychic "prism" for Psynergy Inc. and Rafe Stonebraker, businessman and part-time private eye. He needs a wife to help build his image so he ...more
Lord Rose
Well, I was going to write individual reviews for each of the books in the series. But then I read the second one. And then the third. And I noticed something- the plots of each were quite remarkably similar. But I suppose it really says something about the books that I actually enjoyed reading what was essentially the same book three times in a row. Of course, the details were different, but quite a lot of each was exactly the same.

1. Start out with one super-powerful (and rich and secretive) m
Aimee
This was one of the books that got me hooked on Jayne Ann Krentz (aka Jayne Castle, aka Amanda Quick). It was and still is a great romance with just enough SF and adventure to make it fun. However, to be completely fair, I must say that I like the world of Harmony better. I think it's because of the Dust Bunnies. I wouldn't mind having one or two arould the house.
Mojca
I'm really sorry to see this series/trilogy go.

Though we had another amandaquickish heroine to contend with, Orhid was toned down just enough to keep things lively but not too annoying. The pacing was yet again spot-on, the villain a complete surprise, the mystery intriguing and chilling...And the hero turned out to be my favorite of the three in this trilogy.

There are no words to describe just how much I loved Rafe Stonebreaker. I love my heroes to have a little of a primitive warrior/hunter in
Jessica
I am definitely a St. Helen's series fan. The plot and characters were fun and I was drawn into the story instantly;just couldn't wait to find out what would happen. It was interesting to see the roots of characters and world-aspects from her other series in this earlier one. My only problem with this book was that I felt like the tension between our hero and his cousin seemed to resolve too easily. I have a hard time believing that so much long festered anger could be let go over one evening of ...more
BJ Rose
More of the same on the planet of St. Helens – and Hobart Batt, the agent for matchmaking Synergistic Connections, has his hands full again with two extremely-difficult-to-match people: Orchid is the author of psychic-vampire novels, and is also an off-the-charts full-spectrum prism; and Rafe Stonebraker possesses a talent that appears to frighten most people: he’s a strat-talent and apparently people are afraid that means he can read their minds. I really like the comic-relief appearance of Hob ...more
Melissa
Too much psychic/other planet/future stuff. Could have been cute but went overboard with the sci fi/fantasy.
Lucy
"My, this is an exciting hobby you've found for yourself."
"Beats the heck out of stamp collecting." (163)
Lychee
Always get what I hope/expect from Krentz/Castle/Quick. With all the different 'para' talents that she's introduced throughout her novels is starting to seem like an on-going social intervention -- showing us that we all have differing talents/strengths. Perhaps even that we function best when we use our talents in conjunction with those of others. Maybe this is an ongoing theme in all kinds of fiction, but b/c of the specific names that she gives each talent (e.g., "strat talent," "dream talent ...more
WishfulMiss
If you like the Arcane series, this is right up their alley. I would recommend it. I started this serious backwards. Reading Orchid first but it only made slight mentions of previous characters. Definitely had the typical Jayne Castle flare.
Trlove50
Mar 23, 2014 Trlove50 marked it as to-read
Waiting for audio book (download).
Mem
Wishing and hoping for more St Helen! I could not put this down. Orchid Adams and Rafe Stonebreaker are off the scale psychic talents. She is an ice prism and able to focus his stra-talent. There's murder, stolen relics, revenge, dysfunctional families, hidden agendas, kidnapping, and love. I really enjoyed this book!
Chris
A good book, with a nice bit of twist, it doesn't really compare to the Harmony books. The sci-fi/fantasy trope of re-naming things to sound more exotic (coff-tea, dog-cat, moose-deer, etc.) was distracting from the story. But it was an enjoyable read. Since it was the first of the St. Helens books I read, but the third in the series, I found the references to the previous books a little disconcerting, even though they were expected. I'm not sure if I'll read the other books or not, but probably ...more
107rinoNeko
ヒロインのOrchidに共感できなかったため読みづらかった。
私にはOrchidがすべてに優先して絶対的にこだわる「love」の意味がわからなかった。心も体も能力も趣味もマッチしていてなおloveがほしいってどういうこと?彼女にとってのloveって何さ。
ただloveがあるだけなら結婚の必要はない。結婚というのは、自分と苦楽を共にしてくれる人、問題が起こったら自分が一緒に戦える人、とする人生の契約であるべきだ。わかりにくいけど、そこにはちゃんとloveがある。でも「love」そのものを理由に結婚すると、少しでも違和感や不都合が生じたとたんに耐えられなくなって離婚する。「love」は美しい言葉だけど、この上なくあいまいな概念でしかない。あいまいな計画が失敗しやすいように、あいまいなままのloveによる結婚も同じくらい失敗しやすい。
OrchidはRafeのloveをうたがっているが、彼のそれには目的と根拠がともなっていて、やや即物的だけど揺らぎようがなく見える。むしろ、自分のloveをむやみに確信しているだけで具体性の伴わないOrchidのほうがはるかに危ういと感じた。
KarenF
Very high 4* rating, in fact, I almost bumped it up to 5 because Rafe Stonebreaker is perhaps the best romance hero name ever. It makes me smile just to think about it. Anyway, very good Castle/Quick/Krentz type book. Although I do miss the dust bunnies in this earlier trilogy I do think the stories are a little bit tighter than some more recent offerings. Rafe & Orchid are a fun couple and the mystery is intriguing without overshadowing the romance.
Jeri
3.5 One word -- fun. Castle (aka Jayne Ann Krentz) creates another enjoyable romantic adventure in ORCHID. St. Helen's is an interesting place with some decidedly odd conventions, and I like it. A fast, enjoyable read.

Oh, and my favorite line from the book -- "In an exuberant frenzy of happy lust he rolled with her across the wide bed, rumpling the quilt and the sheets until all was chaos." Don't you just love it?

Meaghan
a good romance set in another world... very enjoyable
Lori
The St. Helen's series, like the Harmony series, always features strong male and female protagonists. This series focuses on women who have been wronged and who also happen to be strong psychics, while the men often come from difficult or troubling backgrounds. While each is similar in flavor, they individually satisfy given the variety Castle adds to each.
Melinda
This was a cute story. I liked the mystery and "who dunit" plot. I really liked Rafe and his "primal" side. I don't know if this is a story I would reread, but I would recommend this book. It is enjoyable and I did not want to stop reading, but just wasn't exciting enough for me to say it's a favorite.

Happy reading, though, and a quick and simple read.
Nicola Pike
The last book in this series we follow the story of the last of the three friends. This has a lot of influence from her Arcane society series with a Hunter who is seeking his bride.

I really wish there were more in this series I really enjoyed the men who invariably say something wrong but I love that they know their minds.
Jayne Ann Krentz ...: Orchid (1998) 1 1 Sep 23, 2012 03:45PM
  • Crystal Flame (Lost Colony, #2)
  • Shield's Lady (Lost Colony, #3)
  • The Perfect Poison (Arcane Society, #6)

She earned a B.A. in History from the University of California at Sant
More about Jayne Castle...

St. Helens (3 books)
  • Amaryllis (St. Helen's, #1)
  • Zinnia (St. Helen's, #2)
After Dark (Harmony #1) Amaryllis (St. Helen's, #1) Canyons of Night (Rainshadow, #0; Harmony, #8; Looking Glass Trilogy, #3; Arcane Society, #12) Midnight Crystal (Harmony #7; Arcane Society #9; Dreamlight Trilogy #3) Silver Master (Harmony #4)