Start by marking “The Go-To Girl” as Want to Read:
The Go-To Girl

The Go-To Girl

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  704 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Gorgeous goddesses seem to surround lowly script-reader Anna Brown--from her deranged, glamour-queen boss to her perfect, pouting roommates. For Anna, being less-than-beautiful is hard to bear. With a dead-end job and a dead-beat boyfriend, she wonders if she can ever be a success. In beauty-crazed London, perhaps being talented just isn't enough. Enter Mark Swan, Britain'...more
Published February 1st 2005 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Go-To Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Go-To Girl

Between Boyfriends by Sarka-Jonae MillerConfessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie KinsellaBet Me by Jennifer CrusieTwenties Girl by Sophie KinsellaThe Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella
Chick Lit (contemporary, edgy, fun)
70th out of 216 books — 289 voters
Just the Sexiest Man Alive by Julie JamesBreathe by Abbi GlinesLove Unscripted by Tina ReberEpic Fail by Claire LaZebnikThe Accidental Movie Star by Emily  Evans
Celebrity Encounters
96th out of 131 books — 210 voters

More lists with this book...

Paul
Typical, plain-dowdy-but-smart-girl-works-as-assistant-for-powerful-industry-type (skip-skip-skip) she's-gonna-make-it-after-all (toss hat in air). There is a keen sense of humor at work here and some well developed characters... too bad I discovered whilst reading and online interview that the author is somewhat of a right-wing, Conservative Party shill with political ambitions. Silly - that only happens in books...
Dark-Draco
Anna considers herself ugly and too tall, but is surrounded by beautiful models and actors. All she wants is a bit of pay rise and a promotion. But when she bumps into the famous director, Mark Swan, he offers her the chance to get noticed by her company and suddenly everything is looking up. She's liked at work, she's met a nice, rich man who wants to marry her, her friends are acting like normal people and she's suddenly found a figure beneath her dowdy clothes. Only, she isn't happy and can't...more
Weatherly
Dianne
This book was a bit of a disappointment - and if I'd read it before reading Tuesday's Child, I would like not have bothered with Tuesday which would have been a shame as it's much the better novel. The main character, Anna, is a bit too schizophrenic for me. I got dizzy from the swings between everybody's mousey doormat to the deliverer of razor-sharp ripostes (literally and metaphorically). It became a race to finish the book just to be done with it. A shame the "woe is me" phase of Anna laste...more
Rebecca
This book started out okay. The girl is an aspiring movie producer and she was taking the right steps to get there by being a peon for some bitchy women and I liked the fake realism on how she gets like the hottest director in the UK to do a film on a story that she found. But then like at the end of the book, she just turns into a super whinny annoying bitch because she like gets fired from the company or something and she expects the director to speak up for her or something. It was really ann...more
Janice (Janicu)
Good read with a likeable heroine. I enjoyed reading her slow transformation and seeing her gain confidence. Anna is a script reader for a production company and low on the totem pole, she often finds herself scurrying around for her boss and sneered at by her fellow coworkers. She rooms with two models both terrified of getting older or gaining weight and losing their jobs. A common theme seems to be other characters putting Anna down to make themselves look and feel better. When power struggle...more
Maria M. Elmvang
Almost every other Louise Bagshawe book I've read, I've loved and found utterly impossible to put down. Therefore it came as a huge surprise to me that not only was this not the case for this one, I was actually somewhat bored with it at times.

It had its good parts - I loved the friendship that developed between Anne and Janet - but as a whole it was predictable and unrealistic (well... even more than her books are usually ;) ), she spent far too little time on the aspects of the book that I fou...more
Danielle
I loved this novel!

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed reading this as Venus Envy (another novel by Louise Bagshawe) was the first one I read from her and I did not enjoy it. However, To Go-To Girl or Monday's Child was fifty pence at a carboot sale so I thought why not? And I loved it!

I loved Anna and her perception of herself. I thought she was a funny character with a good heart. Mark didn't come across as a typical handsome man for me but I liked him anyway.

My favorite character was Charle...more
Marianne
Cinderella meets Dr.Phil with lots of British dialogue...the ending was cheesy and the main part of the story was never resolved. A definite beach read.
Bookgirl89
I LOVED this book, i thought it was amazing but Anna and her lack of a backbone annoyed me so much that i had to count to 10 every 5pages and if that didn't work (it almost never did) i would have to take a break from it. I wish there was more of Mark and less of all the EVIL/VILE people!! I WISH THERE WAS A EPILOGUE FOR THIS BOOK, it would have been nice to see what the fuck happened to Kitty and her little minions!! She was the reason i took so many breaks.

I would recommend it to fans of Soph...more
Antonia Power
I really liked this book, really appealed to me
Angelique
Actually I was surprised I liked it as much as I did. When I first opened the book I was slightly dreading the many pages at the beginning of most novels where you have to wait in vain for the lead man to finally show up. Instead, I was delighted to discover the main man only a few pages in!

This book was also at some moments surprisingly funny. And I do not often laugh. It's usually the surprises that make you laugh.

Maria
I picked this up as a quick-read with no high hopes, but I was pleasantly surprised. Although the story is an old one and not very surprising, I was really enthralled with Bagshawe's good writing and character development. Of course it would make a great movie:) And, I have to say, I'm disappointed that the end ended when it did; I'm sad I didn't get to see the heroine more happy! Great read!
Writerlibrarian
funny, sometimes a little angsty little thing. Somewhat similar to The devil wears Prada in the set up. Anna, "the go-to-girl" works for this really b* on wheels of a movie producer in London. As a script reader, Anna is mandated to find "the" script that will prevent her boss from being axed by the new management. In the process, Anna finds love and happiness. A very light, funny read.
rainyfeathers
I don't know if I read this book before or if the story just was very predictable. If I haven't read this story (and I usually remember) reading it felt like watching a movie that you enjoy and like but seen a zillion times.

A nice summer read. Chick lit with a different take.

This is a dupe. I hate that. I have read this book before. I'm soooo pissed.
Kathryn
Parts of this are entertaining, but the main character's main struggle she has to get over is her horribly low self-esteem, and there are near constant mentions of how ugly she is. And all the people around her are constantly saying it too. It distracted from the story, and seemed really unrealistic.
Suella
disappointing. poor story, poor writing. i didnt have the urge to highlight not even once. the edn was kinda good so i left the book with "everything is good when it ends good" but still think its disappointing. i havent read other books from bagshawe so i will give her the benefit of the doubt
Barbara Elsborg
Fun fast read that I devoured in one sitting. yes, it was clichéd but that didn't matter. The story was interesting, the characters appealed or horrified and it kept my attention. It's not trying to be anything deep and meaningful but there were lessons to be learnt here. It was a sweet read.
Rebecca
A feel good story, laced with British humor, love rectangles, and, albeit a predictable ending, still left me wanting more. Well developed characters, a steady plot, and just enough intrigue to keep me turning the pages. A great beach or airplane read.
Danielle
This was a great read .. but be warned, it's the same book as Monday's Child. I was so disappointed to find that instead of enjoying another Louise Bagshawe book, I'd actually gone and bought the same one again - but under a different name.
Katie
Not at all like the other Louise Bagshawe books I've read, this one is fun, modern British fiction. Much like her sister's novel, Showdown, this one is predictable but if you're looking for something fun and light, this'll do the trick!
Julie
This has a little more depth than your average 'chick-lit'. Anna was a likeable character, although her flatmates left a lot to be desired! Lots of stereotypes floating around, but still an enjoyable holiday read.
chambejd / Joy
This was a great story. At first, I was a little annoyed with Anna's poor self-esteem and inability to stick up for herself, but I quickly grew to like her. It even taught me a little about the film industry!
Stasha
This novel definitely lived up to its reviews. I think it speaks volumes to those of us who have felt different from everyone else.

I'm glad that the main character found her own happily ever after!
Katie
More Chick Lit, maybe it's winter in Wisconsin that numbs my mind from taking in anything else. This followed the classic storyline: plain, British girl gets makeover gets man of her dreams.
Betita
Uma história engraçada!

Este é um daqueles livros bons para ler nas férias, para descontrair! Situações engraçadas e não é necessário muita concentração para seguir a história!

Mafi
Gostei, é um chick-lit puro onde tudo acaba bem. ;) Não soltei gargalhadas mas gostei da história e das personagens, apesar de ser um pouco aborrecido nas primeiras páginas.
Synova
It's been a while since I've read any British Chick Lit and I've got to say, I've missed it! This is my first Bagshawe and I really enjoyed it. A bit predictable, but it was fun.
Jennifer Ward-billingham
Great story! The love hate relationships between the girls and the love/lust/like relationships with the guys had you on your toes for the entire book! Greet read!
Lisa
This was ok but I gave up on it. I have been enjoying the fast face and tension of the author's later books and these earlier titles in mo way compare
  • Thanks for Nothing, Nick Maxwell
  • The Wag's Diary (WAGs Diary, #1)
  • Daddy's Girls
  • The Baby Trail
  • The Ten Best Days of My Life
  • Reinventing Mona
  • Just Say Yes. Phillipa Ashley
Louise Daphne Bagshawe was born on 28 June 1971 in England, UK. She attended local all-girls Catholic schools near her family home in Surrey, before going to Oxford University in 1989. After graduating with a degree in Anglo Saxon and Norse, she worked as press officer with EMI records and then as a marketing official with Sony Music. On her 22nd birthday, her passion for writing was realised with...more
More about Louise Bagshawe...
Glamour Sparkles Tuesday's Child Glitz Passion