Start by marking “Life's a Pitch” as Want to Read:
Life's a Pitch

Life's a Pitch

The pitch is the absolute essence of modern business. Ideas are the most valuable commodity in the modern economy and it is human skill which develops them. In pitching for new business, ideas and emotional intelligence dominate. However the skills of the pitch are not only relevant to the world of business, rather they apply to just about every significant personal transa ...more
Published September 11th 2008 by Corgi (first published February 14th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Life's a Pitch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life's a Pitch

David
Jan 03, 2010 David rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Two books in one. The first was great, the second could have been left out. There are many better books out there on each topic they speak about. Don't bother picking this one up
KT Khoo
Feb 11, 2011 KT Khoo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Winning people to your side of the argument and surreptitiously blowing your own trumpet might be the most important skills a freshman (in every sense of the word) needs. That and the ability to pucker up your lips and blow other people’s trumpets for them. And again, there are lots of books out there to show you exactly how.

Life’s a Pitch is by two British advertising executives and it’s split into two halves, the first on business and powerpoint presentations, the second on dating, verbal abus
Jessica Gonzalez
Jan 30, 2012 Jessica Gonzalez rated it liked it
This book gives you different insights and advice regarding pitches from two main experts that are Stephen Bayley & Roger Mavity. It is a quite refreshing book since pitches are explored through two different perspectives involving technical details and subjective impressions. Moreover, the book is full of examples, tips, lessons and ideas from great leaders. Therefore this book more than a recipe book style with casual logic steps explaining how to go from A to B is actually a great referen ...more
Debica
Oct 25, 2015 Debica rated it really liked it
"This is nothing to do with Church's or with Prada but with attitude and style - style being the dress of thought, the feather that makes the arrow fly straight, not the feather you put in your cap."

This book is raw and straight forward. I like how its strategically segmented, which didnt get me lose interest or lost between the ideas. This book would work for every moment, ranging from selling insurance, corporate presentation or asking a girl to marry you, or guy.
Techno Tigger
Aug 17, 2015 Techno Tigger rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who needs to pitch
A book of literally two parts.The three stars are for the first part only.

The first is aimed largely at more formal commercial pitching, however there is a lot of easily digestible tips and techniques on how to pitch.

The second part of the book is entirely different - really a second book, by a second author. I couldn't get into this part at all. And it remains unread.
Flavia
Mar 17, 2010 Flavia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I actually hate everything that reminds me of self-help material, this is pretty witty stuff. I liked most of it and there's something curious about it: twice I got people coming to me to ask about the book and one of them actually offered me a job! Can't explain but good things may come your way if you carry this around with you... ;)
Vicky Griva
Jun 23, 2014 Vicky Griva rated it it was ok
The second part didn't worth my time. First part is quite useful. If I start saying all the things that bothered me, I would never finish. Appearances, sex, politics, tattoos, dude you should clear up some stuff in your head.
Mischa
Feb 19, 2011 Mischa rated it it was ok
First half was worth it but the last is not worth the time.
Fred Mcbreen
Mar 16, 2014 Fred Mcbreen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable. First part is a practical guide to preparing, delivering and following up on pitches. Second part is more anecdotal and thought provoking.
Khayra Bundakji
Dec 03, 2012 Khayra Bundakji rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ahead
The most appealing part of the book, aside from great advice, is how quick an easy a read it is. I liked that there were two very different perspectives relaying the same principles.
Nathan
Mar 10, 2011 Nathan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book very inspiring and a great resource for positivity.
Kim
Apr 05, 2014 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Good read, outlines the different perspectives on the art and science of selling. From PT Barnum to Belyamani, this book has them all.
Polle De Maagt
Nov 21, 2010 Polle De Maagt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: living
Pretty interesting read. Especially the first part, that gives some sound advice on building pitch presentations.
Neelesh Marik
Aug 09, 2011 Neelesh Marik rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pitch is made and won in the theater of the heart, not the library of the mind
A. M. Aitken
A. M. Aitken rated it it was ok
Mar 15, 2016
Fon
Fon rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2012
Woofie
Woofie rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2014
Pēteris
Pēteris rated it it was ok
May 25, 2016
Kingsley
Kingsley rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2015
Ramses Daiboun
Ramses Daiboun rated it liked it
Oct 20, 2010
Gyles Lingwood
Gyles Lingwood rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2015
Anon
Anon rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2012
Janne Toivoniemi
Janne Toivoniemi rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2011
Eun
Eun rated it did not like it
Mar 08, 2017
Joaquin Garcia de Acevedo
Joaquin Garcia de Acevedo rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2017
azuriiel
azuriiel rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2016
Adam Smith
Adam Smith rated it did not like it
Oct 07, 2014
aslak siimes
aslak siimes rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2015
H P
H P rated it liked it
Dec 01, 2015
Sabina Budnik
Sabina Budnik rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Fortune Cookie Principle: The 20 Keys to a Great Brand Story and Why Your Business Needs One
  • How to Be a Star at Work: 9 Breakthrough Strategies You Need to Succeed
  • Paul Rand: Conversations with Students
  • 75 Years Of DC Comics. The Art of Modern Mythmaking
  • NLP Workbook: A practical guide to achieving the results you want
  • Selling to the C-Suite: What Every Executive Wants You to Know about Successfully Selling to the Top
  • Dreamers of a New Day: Women Who Invented the Twentieth Century
  • Whores in History: Prostitution in Western Society
  • How to Build a Billion Dollar App: Discover the Secrets of the Most Successful Entrepreneurs of Our Time
  • Goth: Undead Subculture
  • When Gadgets Betray Us: The Dark Side of Our Infatuation With New Technologies
  • It's Not What You Sell, It's What You Stand For: Why Every Extraordinary Business is Driven by Purpose
  • Do It Tomorrow and Other Secrets of Time Management
  • The Win Without Pitching Manifesto
  • Breaking the Time Barrier: How to Unlock Your True Earning Potential
  • A Brief History of Witchcraft
  • The Encyclopedia of Fantastic Victoriana
  • The Philosopher at the End of the Universe: Philosophy Explained Through Science Fiction Films