Start by marking “Misty's Twilight (Misty, #4)” as Want to Read:
Misty's Twilight (Misty, #4)

Misty's Twilight (Misty #4)

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,157 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
Misty's Twilight is part thouroughbred, part Chinoteague pony, and one hundred percent fire and talent. A direct descendant of the most famous pony ever, Misty of Chinoteague, Twilight has greatness in her blood. Now it's her turn to shine, perhaps as a cutting horse, a jumper, or in the graceful art of dressage.

Can Twilight, whose ancestors were wild ponies living on an u
Published May 22nd 2007 by Aladdin (first published May 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Misty's Twilight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Misty's Twilight

Black Beauty by Anna SewellThe Black Stallion by Walter FarleyKing of the Wind by Marguerite HenryMisty of Chincoteague by Marguerite HenrySeabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand
Horse Books/Novels
117th out of 844 books — 520 voters
Black Beauty by Anna SewellKing of the Wind by Marguerite HenryThe Black Stallion by Walter FarleyMisty of Chincoteague by Marguerite HenryComing Home by Lauren Brooke
Horse Lover's Literature
117th out of 420 books — 144 voters

More lists with this book...

Rachel Jackson
I remember this book being about Misty. Spoiler alert: it isn't. It's about a family that hopes to keep the Misty of Chincoteague legacy alive, but instead they just try to recreate the fame of Twilight's ancestor by forcing the horse to compete in tons of absurd contests, hoping she'll be famous and have a legacy.

I didn't care for the characters or the horse; they all seemed shallow and uninteresting. I also wished the book had kept with the Chincoteague trend and setting, and maybe kept us wit
Courtney
May 17, 2013 Courtney rated it it was ok
Shelves: newbery
First of all, I didn't like this one's lack of the Beebe's and the lack of explantion as to what happened to them. We heard Grandpa Beebe had died but what about Paul and Maureen why weren't they running the ranch?

Secondly, I feel that there was never time to really get to know any of the new characters in this book and I kept getting them all confused.

Thirdly, Twilight was not as endearing as her ancestors.

Fourthly, the whole story seemed disjointed.

Fifthly, what was up with that ending? I'm so
Gale
Aug 17, 2013 Gale rated it liked it
THREE-IN-ONE PINTO TALENT

This charming story takes place long after Misty's death, but the spirit of this famous Chincoteague pony lives on--inspiring another generation of horse-loving children and adults. Down in Florida on Stolen Hours Farm Dr. Sandy cherishes a dream: to travel to the coast of Virginia to purchase some Chincoteage ponies of her own. Captivated by the MISTY book and nationally-beloved story about the little filly of Pony Ranch, she drags her unenthusiastic kids along--return
Anna
Apr 19, 2015 Anna rated it it was amazing
I loved it so much! I read it as a library book And wanted to copy the whole book on my copier machine so Id have it forever!
Elsie Marineau
Jan 17, 2014 Elsie Marineau rated it it was ok
I have read other Marguerite Henry books and really liked them. They were not boring and were easy to follow. But Misty's Twilight is hard to follow and boring. The characters don't make any sense and I don't understand the beginning. It's hard to tell who the kids are and only said three names, but there are more characters than that. I don't know which horse is the red one. Trust me: don't read it!
Megan
Apr 20, 2011 Megan added it
It was a good book.
April Brown
Sep 06, 2011 April Brown rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, pre-teen
A childhood favorite re-visited.

Is the story as good as I remember? – Yes

What ages would I recommend it too? – All ages. Children will enjoy the single storyline; while adults enjoy an easy afternoon read (especially while waiting on a bus, show, doctor, or other appointments).

Length? – Reasonable for an afternoon.

Characters? – Memorable, several characters, though a bit confusing in the beginning.

Setting? – Real world, Recent times (1970′s and 1980′s).

Written approximately? – 1992.

Does the stor
Andrew Blok
Jan 28, 2015 Andrew Blok rated it it was ok
I read this book to see if my students might want to read it. It was okay. Every conflict seemed to be resolved in two pages. The people sort of talked in speeches. She kept inserting characters who's lives had been changed by an earlier book of hers. It was all a bit underwhelming. I do think there's one student out there who might like it, so I put it on my shelf. I should probably give it to a teacher of a lower grade.
Adaline Griffiths
Nov 17, 2015 Adaline Griffiths rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this book Dr. Sandy, a woman fascinated with the book Misty of Chinoteague and takes a trip to watch the annual Pony Penning, and buy several colts. Then Dr. Sandy and her children meet a young horse descended from Misty. They buy her and name her Twilight. Through a series of events, Dr. Sandy decides to train Misty, but as what-a cutter horse, a jumper, or in dressage? This is how Dr. Sandy and Misty become family. I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars.
Rena Sherwood
This is one of Henry's worst books. It begins promisingly and then soon dives into a mess. There are continuity errors (for example: what happened to the other 5 ponies bought with Misty's Twilight's dam?) The owner seems clueless as to what to do with her long-suffering and talented half-thoroughbred, half-Chincoteague pony.

The ending is confusing, convoluted and head-scratching. Misty's Twilight is to represent wild creatures (How?) even though she'd never spent one day as a wild equine.

The il
Elaine Cooper
Jul 29, 2015 Elaine Cooper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't like this one as much as the first three but it was still very fun to read.
Jia-Lin Koh
interesting, but you must read misty of chicoteaug first.
Anne Osterlund
Oct 08, 2013 Anne Osterlund rated it liked it
Sandy’s dream has always been to have a Chincoteague pony, ever since she read the Misty books as a child. So she packs up the car, complete with her two kids, and they’re off! But they don’t come home with one Chincoteague pony.

They come home with four. Including one of Misty’s true descendants, a lovely mare who has a foal named Twilight.

I enjoyed the story. Like Sandy, I read all three original Misty books when I was a child. This fourth episode was written many years later, which meant, of c
Jodi
May 24, 2011 Jodi rated it liked it
This book was definitely easier to read than "Misty of Chincoteague" because it wasn't written n venacular! I am not a big horse person but I really dont' understand why Sandy shipped Twilight all over and spent so much time away from her. Also, I think I would rather have heard more about Twilight than about Sandy!! Still a decent book that my daughter enjoyed having me read to her.
Valerie
Oct 13, 2012 Valerie rated it really liked it
This was not my favorite for the Misty series, but it was still excellent. I read it out loud to my eight-year old horse loving daughter. We have a horse, so we could relate to many of the stories. I enjoyed learning about cutting and dressage - two horse events that I did not know very much about before reading this book.
Rachael
Oct 09, 2011 Rachael rated it liked it
This book is about a mother named Sandy with a passion for horses, and her two normal kids Pam and Chris. Their pony Twilight is part Chincoteague, part Thoroughbred, and is a direct decendant os the famous "Misty of Chincouteague." Sandy, Pam and Chris go on a mission to find the perfevt carreer for the pony that they bred.
Olivia
Oct 25, 2011 Olivia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've always loved Marguerite Henry's wonderful world of Chincoteague ponies, but this one seemed to lack the vibrance the others held. It still had a fairly interesting plot, but I really missed the old ponies, characters, and setting. It didn't have the same magical feel Henry had incorporated in her other books.
Jo
Jun 28, 2014 Jo rated it it was amazing
I love this series
Emily
Feb 17, 2009 Emily rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animals, kids-lit
I loved this series when I was a little girl. I recently gifted a set to my niece (because she is a total horse nerd like I was). I totally read them again before I wrapped them and gave them to her! :P They were so much fun to read again...great for any horse lovers.
Rivkah.
Jul 29, 2011 Rivkah. rated it really liked it
I loved this book! It was a "Misty Story" but not about Misty. It was really sweet and kept moving at a good pace, and I think taught kids a lot about the "true story" of Chinoteague and how real of a place it is.
Kendra
Don't remember this one as a kid, but did enjoy the reading. Kind of breezed through the life of the horse, hitting a few highpoints. It's a kids book, so it was light and easy, of course.
Jul 24, 2009 Laura rated it liked it
After reading Misty, the girls and I wanted more... but this was not nearly as good. Too much technical horse lingo. We liked it but it didn't hold our interest as well as the original.
CheyanneH
Feb 23, 2010 CheyanneH is currently reading it
this book is so far a great book, last year while in 6th grade i was reading the same book i borrowed from the library, and i never got to finish it but now i can happy day.
Lori
Feb 20, 2012 Lori rated it liked it
Shelves: series, children
This book tells another story in the history of Misty of Chincoteague.

In general, Henry's books, which are typically about horses, are great for young readers.
Dark-Draco
Aug 12, 2013 Dark-Draco rated it liked it
Shelves: horsey-fiction
A lovely story and the pictures were wonderful. I enjoyed reading it and will be looking out for the other books in the series.
Kyndle
Nov 01, 2010 Kyndle rated it it was amazing
This was a great book!I loved it.My Favorite part was when Twilight trained in dressage!I recommend it to horse lovers!
Hazel
Aug 04, 2011 Hazel rated it really liked it
A wonderful series for horse crazy kids. I loved the series when I was younger and read them several times.
Sandy
Nov 12, 2009 Sandy added it
I loved this book as a child. I am so glad that I was able to read it to my girls. They loved it!
Jaime Contreras
Jul 28, 2013 Jaime Contreras rated it liked it
I found this book rather sad but my daughters loved the tale of the lovable horse.
  • The Island Stallion's Fury (The Black Stallion, #7)
  • Wonder's Promise (Thoroughbred, #2)
Marguerite Henry (April 13, 1902-November 26, 1997) was an American writer. The author of fifty-nine books based on true stories of horses and other animals, her work has captivated entire generations of children and young adults and won several Newbery Awards and Honors. Among the more famous of her works was Misty of Chincoteague, which was the basis for the 1961 movie Misty, and several sequel ...more
More about Marguerite Henry...

Misty (4 books)
  • Misty of Chincoteague (Misty, #1)
  • Sea Star: Orphan of Chincoteague (Misty, #2)
  • Stormy, Misty's Foal (Misty, #3)