Start by marking “Stormy, Misty's Foal (Misty, #3)” as Want to Read:
Stormy, Misty's Foal (Misty, #3)

Stormy, Misty's Foal (Misty #3)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  15,432 ratings  ·  106 reviews
A raging storm slashes across Assateague and Chincoteague islands. Water is everywhere The wild ponies and the people must battle for their lives.

In the midst of the storm, Misty-the famous mare of Chincoteague-is about to give birth. Paul and Maureen are frantic with worry as the storm rages on... will Misty and her colt survive?

This is the thrilling story of the hurrican...more
Published May 22nd 2007 by Aladdin (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about Stormy, Misty's Foal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stormy, Misty's Foal

Black Beauty by Anna SewellThe Black Stallion by Walter FarleyKing of the Wind by Marguerite HenryMisty of Chincoteague by Marguerite HenrySeabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand
Horse Books/Novels
12th out of 747 books — 415 voters
The Black Stallion by Walter FarleyBlack Beauty by Anna SewellKing of the Wind by Marguerite HenryA Horse Called Wonder by Joanna CampbellMisty of Chincoteague by Marguerite Henry
Best Horse Fiction
7th out of 234 books — 90 voters

More lists with this book...

Audrey
I am currently reading Stormy, Misty's Foal with one of my tutoring students. We make the perfect pair, as she can explain the horse-y elements of the plot and I can explain life in the 1960's.

As Grandpa Beebe and Paul travel up to Deep Hole with their neighbor, the author refers to the fabric scraps that the neighbor has brought along to make flags. I know exactly what a bag of fabric scraps looks like, and why a woman would have one.

One of the scraps, the neighbor tells us, was from his wife's...more
Jodi
Aug 19, 2010 Jodi rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: young horse lovers!
Recommended to Jodi by: Billy King Beebe's wife at the Beebe Ranch
We bought this book at the Beebe Ranch in Chincoteague Island when we were there back in July. The book is even signed by Billy King Beebe, who even though he is not named in the story because Marguerite Henry kept the names Paul and Maureen from her first book about the island, is the boy who these events happened to in real life! Pretty cool! We got to walk up the stairs Misty walked up into the house and see the kitchen where she stayed during the storm. We also got to see the real Misty and...more
Heather
Spoiler alert: my 7 year old daughter considered giving this 5 stars, but lowered her rating because the foal isn't born until 3/4 of the way thru the book. The story concentrates on a huge storm and how the people handle it. While animals are a part of the story, they are secondary too often too the people for my animal loving daughter's comfort.
Kimi
spoiler alert: You don't find out that the mamma horse and her foal are safe until Chapter 18. That's a long time if you're 7 years old and this is being read chapter-by-chapter as a nighttime story. Excellent story nonetheless, and based on true events for the islanders.
Sara S
Stormy misty's foal is similar to the book Sea Star by Marguerite Henry. I chose this book because it had a horse on the front but I actually liked the story a lot.Stormy Misty's Foal is about love, trust, fear,happiness between Grandma,Grandpa,and their grand kids Paul,and Maureen. During a deadly storm the human family had a horrible inner problem. They were forced to leave their home for safety but wanted to stay even risking their selves to watch over their pets and pregnant pony Misty. By l...more
Gale
Set on Chincotegue Island off tidewater Virginia, this Newbery Honor book proved the first in a string of kid and horse stories by Marguerite Henry. The black and white sketches by Wesley Dennis are excellent illustrations, enhancing the story about two kids who dream of taming a wild horse of their own. The story is preceded by a dramatic prologue: how a Spanish galleon foundered during a storm centuries ago, leaving a stallion and his mares free to survive and thrive on uninhabited Assateauge...more
Joy
I'm working my way through the Chincoteague horse books before passing them on to my granddaughter. This was not only a good book on the love between horse and child but the devestation caused by hurricane flooding. The book sadly chronicles how the wild herds of Assateague were destroyed but happily how they were rebuilt, a community effort.

Grandmaw on helicopter rescue: "They can jes' count me out! I'm too old to start riding across the sky in an eggbeater."
Grandmaw: "Now you two perten up. Ev...more
Patricia
This is a favorite book from Michael's childhood. It's nice to be reading something a little less dark on the heels of re-reading and re-processing Cormac McCarthy's _The Road_.

I grew up around horses and have a strong affinity for horses. They are recurring figures in my dreams.

A good storyteller wrote this book; and I love the sketched illustrations. I also love the Virginian/Appalachian vernacular.

Turns out there's a whole series about Misty that we will have to get at some point. The thing...more
Charisa
When I was younger I used to be crazy about horses, and I ordered alot of books about them off eBay. Marguerite Henry is one of my favorite authors; she provided hours of escape for me. Her books on horses are beautiful and unique. This book is the sequel to Misty of Chincoteague. I used to have it, but somewhere along moving from one country to the next it was lost or sold along with some of the other books. So I rented it from the library to read again, and it still holds the same magic for me...more
Amy
We seemed to have skipped over Misty #2, hmmmm. Oh well. Bea says she would give this book 3 1/2 stars. She liked the story but it was stressful and dramatic. She didn't like that the title made it seem like the book would be about the foal but it really wasn't born until almost the end of the book and you really didn't get to know the foal at all.

I thought that this story was actually crafted better than the original Misty book. It certainly was a dramatic story and there were many details of...more
Rachael
In the book Stormy, Misty’s Foal, by Marguerite Henry, Paul and Maureen Beebe reluctantly evacuate their home on Chincoteague Island with their grandparents, as a huge storm washes over their island. The worst part is that they have to leave their beloved pregnant pony Misty on the island. As the days pass by, the Beebe’s have to be exceptionally strong, while their pony is trapped on the flooding island and when they finally return home, they find Misty and her newborn Stormy, unharmed. I belie...more
Theresa
Goodness a lot of this book is about heartbreaking tragedy. I think when I was younger tragedy didn't affect me as much, because it wasn't real. Now I've lived through a lot and reading it, it feels real. I spent a lot of this book feeling sad.

Out of all that sadness comes Misty's foal who basically saves the day. The children all over the country are so in love with Misty that they find a way to make the money needed to rebuild by sharing Stormy with all of the children.

It takes getting through...more
April Brown
A childhood favorite re-visited.

Is the story as good as I remember? – Yes

What ages would I recommend it too? – All ages. Children will enjoy the single storyline; while adults enjoy an easy afternoon read (especially while waiting on a bus, show, doctor, or other appointments).

Length? – Reasonable for an afternoon.

Characters? – Memorable, several characters, though a bit confusing in the beginning.

Setting? – Real world, Recent times (1940′s or 1950′s).

Written approximately? – 1963.

Does the story...more
Diane Fuson
Any story that has horses is a plus for me. Love the adventures that Marguerite Henry writes. The cover is not the same as the 2nd edition of mine from 1970.
Mandy Blackburn
Another one I read years ago, but had forgotten most of it. Any kid who loves horses will love this book.
Deborah
I feel the same about this book as I did the first in the series. That is, I would've liked it when I was in third grade. Now that I'm older, I don't quite have that same love of horses or ponies. I thought it was a neat story, and it was really interesting to see a children's book that dealt with natural disaster. I love anthropology and so seeing how people (especially in a more historical setting) face tragic and disastrous times has always been really fascinating to me. I still have one more...more
Kyrie
I loved this continuation of Misty's story.
Raevyn [Hello!]
Liked it. Not my type of book, though.
Bonnie
Read for National Children's Book Week in 2009. Misty of Chincoteague and Stormy, Misty's Foal and King of the Wind, by Marguerite Henry. Obviously, I read these books over and over as a girl, having been a horse lover since I can remember. I hadn't read any of them in a while (despite owning a lovely color illustrated hardback copy of the last), so it was a great joy to reread them again. Henry has a lovely gift for putting you right in the place and time of the story.
Kiana Desrosiers
on page 3 of Stormy, Misty's Foal. So far it is just describing the setting of the story, and what the room of the barn looks like where the horses are kept. There’s a lot of hay, animal droppings, and animals everywhere. It’s hot, smelly, and noisy in there. So far the book is pretty boring, and the topic of it is just not my cup of tea, so I think I’m going to get a different book to read.
Alexis
this book was the best book i learn and read.
i learned that these horses were captured by these parets and the ship sinks and these horses swim to live and they dont give up on themself.
and when there is less food you dont want to be a hug and eat it all you want to save some for others to have.
so its not just you who is important its the people and animals who love you.
David
This was the first non-sci-fi/non-fantasy book I read. I was quite young at the time, and a few chapters were read to me each night. Eventually, I read the rest on my own. As I type this, I'm looking to see where I can find the other books in the series.
Lara
Hard to rate this one - I remember reading it as a youngster, and presumably enjoying it. Re-reading it, I found it rather dated, a bit condescending and the characters' obsession with Misty a bit hard to understand. Interesting to read the (fictional) experience of a community affected by a major flood, particularly as it seems little has changed.
Barbara
For the young horse lover this is a must read. I read Marguerite's first 3 books. Back when I was a child that's all that she had written. I would have loved it back then to have more of them to read. I read all the books she had written. I enjoyed them so much and would have read more had there been more back then.
Maia
Stormy, Misty's Foal is a fallow up to Misty of Chincoteague. This book tells about a foal being born during a terrible storm. I haven't gotten to far into the book, but so far the book is very exciting.If you decide to read this book I hope you get just as much excitement out of the book as I do.

Austen to Zafón
Loved this as a kid. I so wanted to visit Assateague!
Kayce
This book is a great follow-up for Misty of Chincoteague. Your students will enjoy this book and it would make a great read aloud or small group read. Super for horse-lovers especially, I appreciate how the Bebee family is done setting horses free and back to the wild in this book. :)
Valerie
Four stars if you like horses, three stars if you are not into horses :). I read this book out loud to my daughter, who loves horses. Fun read - the references to the time period are also educational. The story could move along a little faster, but otherwise, great book!
Emily
I loved this series when I was a little girl. I recently gifted a set to my niece (because she is a total horse nerd like I was). I totally read them again before I wrapped them and gave them to her! :P They were so much fun to read again...great for any horse lovers.
Michelle
This is the book that started my reading adventures. My mother picked it up at a yard sale and it was the first book that made me realize that I could travel to a new place and time. I still have the book and will unlikely part from it.
Upper Elementary ...: Stormy, Misty's Foal 1 5 Jul 12, 2014 06:49AM
just wanted to know 8 25 Nov 08, 2013 05:38AM
so cute 1 18 May 25, 2008 10:32PM
  • The Black Stallion Returns (The Black Stallion, #2)
  • Old Bones the Wonder Horse
  • Billy And Blaze: A Boy And His Pony
  • Thunderhead (Flicka, #2)
  • A Horse Called Wonder (Thoroughbred, #1)
Marguerite Henry (April 13, 1902-November 26, 1997) was an American writer. The author of fifty-nine books based on true stories of horses and other animals, her work has captivated entire generations of children and young adults and won several Newbery Awards and Honors. Among the more famous of her works was Misty of Chincoteague, which was the basis for the 1961 movie Misty, and several sequel...more
More about Marguerite Henry...
Misty of Chincoteague (Misty, #1) King of the Wind: The Story of the Godolphin Arabian Brighty of the Grand Canyon Justin Morgan Had a Horse Black Gold