Start by marking “Skepticism and the Veil of Perception” as Want to Read:
Skepticism and the Veil of Perception

Skepticism and the Veil of Perception

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  20 ratings  ·  3 reviews
Since Descartes, one of the central questions of Western philosophy has been that of how we know that the objects we seem to perceive are real. Philosophical skeptics claim that we know no such thing. Representationalists claim that we can gain such knowledge only by inference, by showing that the hypothesis of a real world is the best explanation for the kind of sensation ...more
Published July 17th 2001 by Rowman & Littlefield Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Skepticism and the Veil of Perception, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Skepticism and the Veil of Perception

Tyler
I had the pleasure of meeting Professor Huemer over the summer of 2011. He is able to convey his opinions and arguments very clearly. He's got a lot of good opinions and reasoning to back it up. This short book is evidence of that. So much so that I ended up rereading it (and plan to again in case I missed anything) because there is a lot to take in.

In this book he attacks skepticism of both sorts; external knowledge and universal skepticism. He explains the difference between the two. About ha
Διόνυσος Ψευδάνωρ
In Skepticism and the Veil of Perception Michael Huemer aims to undermine skepticism about direct realism and to articulate his own version of direct realism. It's a thoughtful book that is wide enough in scope that it can serve as a useful introduction to the external world realism debate in philosophy. Nevertheless, many of Huemer's most pivotal claims are vague to the extent that his ultimate project is unpersuasive (in my view). His theory of perception—on which his version of direct realism ...more
John Christmann
Huemer's book was a fantastic response to the global skeptic and skeptic about the external world. The direct realist thesis and phenomenological conservatism Huemer espouses are rather powerful tools in the common sense philosopher's arsenal to combat the skeptic's arguments.
Bill M
Bill M marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Bakunin
Bakunin marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Spectraz
Spectraz marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Mihan4ever
Mihan4ever marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Tony Cheng
Tony Cheng is currently reading it
Nov 13, 2014
Akiva Malamet
Akiva Malamet marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Adam Leader-Smith
Adam Leader-Smith marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Preston Carter
Preston Carter marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Arto Bendiken
Arto Bendiken marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Barry
Barry marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2014
Ilyas
Ilyas marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2014
Gabriel Campbell
Gabriel Campbell marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2013
Eric Pavao
Eric Pavao marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2013
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
May 14, 2013
George
George marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2013
S. O'Brien
S. O'Brien marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2013
Abigail K.
Abigail K. marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2013
The Problem of Political Authority: An Examination of the Right to Coerce and the Duty to Obey Ethical Intuitionism Epistemology: Contemporary Readings Skepticism and the Veil of Perception What's Living and Dead in Ayn Rand's Moral and Political Thought (Cato Unbound)