Start by marking “De Vierde K” as Want to Read:
De Vierde K

De Vierde K

3.55  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,296 Ratings  ·  61 Reviews
President Francis Xavier Kennedy is elected to office, thanks largely to the legacy of his forebearers -- good looks, privilege, wealth. He is the very embodiment of youthful political optimism.

But the political process gets to him and, unbelievably for intimates and the public alike, he suffers something very like a personality change. When a terrorist targets his daughte

Published 2004 by De Boekerij (first published 1990)

Lobstergirl
Aug 03, 2010 Lobstergirl rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lobstergirl by: Hillel Slovak
What a mess. Extremely weak writing, a profusion of superfluous ancillary characters, and every plot device ever known to writers of political thrillers thrown in: terrorism both foreign and domestic, hijacking, hostage-taking, murder, the Pope, assassination, presidential impeachment, martial law, retaliatory bombing of an oil-rich Persian gulf nation, a nuclear bomb, a secret cabal of billionaire industrialists.

On top of this deranged layer cake are squeezed an aspiring Hollywood screenwriter,
Rbt
Oct 16, 2008 Rbt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this book. One of my favorites. Puzo's writing style - incredible.
Asghar Abbas
I don't know, I felt this book was ominous and contained tons of foreboding about things to come and the scary thing is, some of them did. Not sure how I feel about this one.
Putra Perdana
Sep 24, 2011 Putra Perdana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mario Puzo can magically weave a collection of short stories into one complete journey of conspiracy and politics. A plot enriched with subplots that enhances the main story and build to an exciting and stisfying climax. Enough said
Thomas Nielsen
Jul 25, 2011 Thomas Nielsen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In my all time top 3. Scarring to imagine that a president would really go that far! Well, use you imagination. And so Puzo did!
Matt
Dec 19, 2013 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is nowhere near as good as the Godfather, but it is the epitome of Puzo. He may be famous for dealing with Italian Americans/mafia/etc, but those are just familiar back drops for him to use while he writes about power and manipulation. This is the ultimate story of power. You think Michael Corleone knew how to get things done, just wait until the POTUS gets fed up with terrorists (due largely to an accumulation of tragedy in his life) and decides to go all 'murica on everyone's ass.

Thi
Borjana
Apr 09, 2012 Borjana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent fiction that is not entirely unlikely to become reality. Within the great plot he placed the greatest fears of contemporary mankind and blows all that away by a single man's chance.
Kate Cheramy
May 17, 2012 Kate Cheramy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic; better than the Godfather series - definitely could relate to this one more as a modern day drama - but really...leave the Kennedy clan alone!
Mary Beth
May 02, 2012 Mary Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A real page turner. I enjoyed the book very much.
Mark R.
***1/2

Mario Puzo's "The Fourth K," one of his least commercially successful novels, is a bit of what-if fiction, in this case, What if another Kennedy became President?

The book suggests a setting roughly around the time of its writing (early 90's). It incorporates some (fictional) history but doesn't spend a lot of time bringing the reader up to date on its alternate history; we're more or less shoved into the story right away. And it's a grim one involving the assassination of the Pope and the
Yelibenwork Ayele
I read this novel about six years ago. After reading The Godfather which I agree is Mario Puzo's masterpiece, I find it hard to believe that the same author wrote The Fourth K. Puzo did not meet my expectation in The Fourth K. I expected to be impressed by Oliver Oliphant who was celebrating his hundredth birthday about the beginning of the story because the narrative made so much of his wisdom which he had acquired through age and other means which I don't remember now. Puzo just tells us that ...more
Dianne
Feb 03, 2013 Dianne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of those life imitates art books that has you constantly checking the first published date just to be sure it was written with no knowledge of what is now history. Sure there's differences, but it's uncanny just how close it is to the real thing. It's an easy read and generally fast paced, adequately performing as a thriller. It's the uncanniness of similarity to future real life that lifts this book to another level though.
Toufiq
Andy
Jun 27, 2011 Andy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The characters are intelligently brought to life. The series of events were not dull at all although it takes you to many circumstances in the book. It's a good read if you really have the time not to miss any happenings and if you remember the numerous characters. I'd vote for this to be a movie.
Feliciano
Jan 17, 2011 Feliciano rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a third book by Mario Puzo I read during high school. He really influenced my writing at the time. I havn't read it in so long but I also read it 2 or 3 times. A really good book with a lot of different characters. I loved it at the time.
Andrew
Jan 08, 2008 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit of a departure for Puzo, straying from the typical Italian family subject, this involves the new emerging Kennedy candidate and his political rise (The Fourth K). Enjoyable. For some reason, his books just work for me.
Bryan Schmidt
Jun 11, 2010 Bryan Schmidt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting departure from Mafia to a different kind of powerful American family, the Kennedys. About a next generation Kennedy who is kidnapped while her father is President. Enjoyable.
Beth Lee
Jun 11, 2012 Beth Lee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great political story! Actually my favorite book by Puzo. combine family, friendship, current happenings under a political and international umbrella. A must read!
Vince Carter
Suspenseful story of presidential politics, international terror, and well-meaning goals allowing decisions by those in power to abuse it.
Joshua
Jan 16, 2014 Joshua rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book years ago. Reading it again I saw it in a new light. It is especially interesting in a post 9/11 and Patriot Act world.
Kathy
Mar 24, 2007 Kathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: not for everyone
I love Puzo's work. I realize that not everyone goes for blood and gore and huge twists. If you do, though, Puzo is great.
Andre
May 29, 2013 Andre rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a nice look, albeit fictitious, into the Kennedy legacy and what an impact this legacy can have on politics.
Jay
Jan 29, 2010 Jay rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
it was ok...stretching reason at points; written in 1990, interesting plot considering 9/11
Shanna Coleman
Sep 04, 2008 Shanna Coleman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very fitting for the curent political times, and very vintage Puzo with strong male characters.
Jpl1966
May 10, 2014 Jpl1966 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Puzo makes us think again about our government and methods of imposing fear on us.
Toqi Tahmid Prithi
Oct 21, 2011 Toqi Tahmid Prithi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Toqi by: Rakib Ahmed
One of the best books I have ever read but the story ended not the way I think.
Vinnie Sabo
Oct 15, 2008 Vinnie Sabo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Patriots and fans of politics
Recommended to Vinnie by: Lou Mosker, retired supervisor AA
Amazing plot and extremely easy reading.
Harris
May 16, 2013 Harris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not great but interesting
Cathryn Connolly
Loved this!!
Kelv
Feb 11, 2014 Kelv rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story that was exciting, interesting, and believable from start to finish.

This book has an unusual way of introducing characters - they would pop up into the story only have an thorough introduction, background, fear etc on preceding pages - kind of helped, it chopped up the story when it happened.

The characters were detailed, with quirks and features well described. The political stratagems were subtle, clever and a big part of the book. The power displayed by the oligarch and politicians
Fourth K - Half ingenious 1 2 Mar 12, 2016 02:02AM
  • The Godfather Returns
  • Timothy's Game
  • Agatha Christie's Detectives: Five Complete Novels: The Murder at the Vicarage / Dead Man's Folly / Sad Cypress / Towards Zero / N or M?
  • Gangster
  • Black Blade
  • Nelson DeMille: Three Complete Novels: Word of Honor, Cathedral, By the Rivers of Babylon
  • Murder At Ebbets Field
  • In the Name of the Father
  • Brothers
  • The Golden Orange
  • The Lion of Cairo
  • Phobia
  • Hard Freeze
  • Fall from Grace
  • The 5-Minute Iliad and Other Instant Classics: Great Books For The Short Attention Span
  • The Covenant of the Flame
  • Ghost Town
  • Words Without Borders: The World Through the Eyes of Writers: An Anthology
Puzo was born in a poor family of Neapolitan immigrants living in the Hell's Kitchen neighborhood of New York. Many of his books draw heavily on this heritage. After graduating from the City College of New York, he joined the United States Army Air Forces in World War II. Due to his poor eyesight, the military did not let him undertake combat duties but made him a public relations officer statione ...more
More about Mario Puzo...