Start by marking “The Way to Glory (Lt. Leary, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Way to Glory (Lt. Leary, #4)

The Way to Glory (Lt. Leary / RCN #4)

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,907 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Lieutenant Leary and Adele Mundy are Back in This Blazing Sequel to The Far Side of the Stars.

Violence racks Cinnabar. The fleets of the tyrannical Alliance are on the move, and at home class riots threaten to rip apart not only society but the Republic of Cinnabar Navy. Lt. Daniel Leary has earned promotion, but the needs of the Republic and the RCN require that he serve
Published May 1st 2005 by Baen (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Way to Glory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Way to Glory

Dirk Grobbelaar
This sure is a rock solid series. It’s not breaking new ground, but as far as pure story telling is concerned it has yet to disappoint. This is the fourth instalment featuring Lieutenant Daniel Leary and Signals Officer Adele Mundy. And, let’s not forget Hogg and the rest of the Sissies, without whom the series would just not be the same. The ‘secondary’ characters in these novels are done very well and some of them are a real treat (Hogg especially). The RCN books are not as pulpy as you might ...more
Jon
May 30, 2014 Jon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As the series goes on, it feels like it becomes more and more about Mundy, which is great, since she's my favorite character in this series. She's got the most depth and complexity. Daniel is fairly well fleshed out, but he's simple (Mundy calls him at times innocent and naive, which I think fits great). The other characters are all pretty one dimensional, which doesn't detract from the series.
Andreas
Leary has finally been promoted, but due to political machinations he is not given a new ship command. Instead, he is assigned as the executive officer of a paranoid Captain whose last move was to violently quash a mutiny by massacring the perpetrators, one of whom was a senator’s son. Leary cannot play humble, and ends up squarely in the sights of his superior.

The series certainly isn’t becoming dull, but I find that Drake missed an opportunity here. The main plot complication in the early part
Wayne Roberts
Jan 29, 2015 Wayne Roberts rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fun book in the series. I'm looking forward to reading the rest!
Mary
Sep 14, 2014 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Reread 2014
Roberta
Sep 08, 2009 Roberta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sciencefiction
Best book so far. Not everything goes Leary's way in this book. It was a tense book throughout, and the best written thus far in the series. I finally like Leary and Adele, and I didn't in the first two books, but this book made them more human. I attribute that to Drake's writing improving. If you don't like the first book of the series persevere through, this book alone is worth reading the other three first just to get to this one (and the first three books range from pretty good to good).
Richard
Jul 24, 2008 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I think the author has really defined the two main characters well. After the third book, I think the author is hitting his stride. (either that or I am getting use to his style of writing.)

The plot was good. It moved in a good pace. Some things are kind of too "lucky", but the book reflects on it. And it brings a warm fuzzy feeling after reading the book. Too much stuff is too real these days... or too dark.

Definitely not this book.

Will continue to read more in this series.
Scott James
Jun 13, 2013 Scott James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I could rate this 3.5, I would, but I do nothing in half measures. David Drake continues to write compelling, believable officers, but in this fourth installment they are a bit cardboard.

Not so their circumstances, and the protagonists Mundy and Leary shine in a series of impossible situations. There are better books in this series, but if you've come this far, you're as hooked as I am.

John
Jan 04, 2016 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
Best of the series yet.
Scarlet
Dec 31, 2010 Scarlet rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books
Better than the last book but Drake has got to stop using the phrase "Adele smiled coldly" because I am sick of it. The adventures are fun but there is zero character growth and development, and it's a little boring. Though I think I spot the hint of an overall plot arc for the series, which I thought had also been lacking.
Leigh Kimmel
Dec 12, 2012 Leigh Kimmel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this installment, Daniel Leary must ship under a paranoid captain -- but unlike the situations in CS Forester's Mr. Midshipman Hornblower or Herman Wouk's The Caine Mutiny, it's complicated by Daniel being the son of the Speaker of the Senate, and the captain being a member of a rival political family.
Mark
Great entry in the Lt. Leary series... interstellar derring-do amid political maneuver and private misbehavior, trumped by great data retrieval skills (Mundy) and battle strategy and leadership (Leary). I missed the RCN Princess Cecile, though!
Jamie Barrows
I really enjoy this series. This time Daniel and Adele get posted to a ship under a paranoid Captain. As usual, they discover a plot by the alliance and we end up getting more superb space battles.
Jeff Crosby
This is first class space opera, and the kind of story I most enjoy. It is adventure with a touch of espionage and interesting space combat. A strong entry in the series.
Daniel Vassily
Jul 27, 2015 Daniel Vassily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another solid entry in this great SF/Nautical Genre buster, fans of Horatio Hornblower, Honor Harrington will enjoy this series immensely. Non stop action!
Joe
Jun 19, 2013 Joe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Still 4 stars.
I think this second read was better than the first.
Leary & Mundy are a great team.
The Cinnabar Universe is an interesting read.
David
Feb 08, 2015 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am really starting to enjoy these stories a lot. I look forward to the next in the series.

Date Read History:
13 Nov 2013
20 Jan 2015
Fred Fenimore
Aug 15, 2012 Fred Fenimore rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

... and I'm out. Just couldn't take all the chest thumping. This book has the dubious distinction of being abandoned. avoid it.
Sim
Mar 25, 2013 Sim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like this series by David Drake - Daniel Leary, Adele Mundy, Tovara, Hogg... well written, fun, and engaging, spacers!!!
Will
even better
colleen
read 11.03.05
Jhondoe
Jhondoe rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2016
Db
Db rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2016
  • In Fury Born
  • The Dance of Time (Belisarius, #6)
  • Redoubtable (Kris Longknife, #8)
  • Exodus (Starfire, #5)
19472
David Drake is an American author of science fiction and fantasy literature. A Vietnam War veteran who has worked as a lawyer, he is now one of the major authors of the military science fiction genre.
More about David Drake...

Lt. Leary / RCN (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • With the Lightnings (Lt. Leary, #1)
  • Lt. Leary, Commanding (Lt. Leary, #2)
  • The Far Side of the Stars (Lt. Leary, #3)
  • Some Golden Harbor (Lt. Leary, #5)
  • When the Tide Rises (Lt. Leary, #6)
  • In the Stormy Red Sky (Lt. Leary, #7)
  • What Distant Deeps (Lt. Leary, #8)
  • The Road of Danger (Lt. Leary, #9)
  • The Sea Without a Shore (Lt. Leary, #10)
  • Death's Bright Day (Lt. Leary, #11)

“Adele smiled minusculely. She'd be Mundy of Chatsworth if she were stripped naked and stood on a gallows. And Daniel would be Daniel, grinning and very probably figuring out a way to escape with the executioner's pants and his wife besides. If she was young enough, and pretty enough, and had the IQ of a parakeet.” 0 likes