Start by marking “Hokkaido Popsicle” as Want to Read:
Hokkaido Popsicle

Hokkaido Popsicle (Billy Chaka #2)

After an altercation with the director of Wildman for Geisha! -- a movie based on ace reporter Billy Chaka's life -- Chaka finds himself in Hokkaido on mandatory vacation. Trouble starts when the elderly porter of the Hotel Kitty stumbles into Billy's room and dies. That same night, the lead singer of Japan's most popular rock band turns up dead in a sleazy love hotel in T ...more
Published April 16th 2002 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Hokkaido Popsicle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hokkaido Popsicle

Jerjonji
Apr 25, 2009 Jerjonji rated it it was amazing
This is THE book I wish I'd written- that I wish I'd known I wanted to write- that I knew enough to write- that gives me severe writer's envy on every single page. I find myself wanting to read bits of it aloud to others...For example from pages 32-33...

"Tokyo, my belobed Tokyo.
My love for Tokyo is one of those boozy, bare-knunckle kind of loves that makes normal people uneasy. A gritty love like a kung fu noir written by Tennessee Williams... Tokyo wasn't so much a vity as fractal explosion..."
Greg Kerestan
Jan 29, 2016 Greg Kerestan rated it really liked it
The second Billy Chaka novel, "Hokkaido Popsicle" shows considerable improvement over the first. Adamson is finding his own voice here, mixing American gonzo influence with the Murakami pastiche of the first novel. The characters are a little more garish and grotesque, and the sometimes delicate, subdued tone Adamson pursued in the first novel is replaced with brighter colors, faster action and a more tongue-in-cheek sensibility. Though I love Murakami as much as anyone else, slavish imitation o ...more
Two-fisted History
Feb 05, 2014 Two-fisted History rated it it was amazing
In 2006, I walked into one of those random Discount Book Stores that pop up in random locations and random times like some kind of Gypsy Bookstore.

In one of the piles, we discovered this pink-covered book with the title, 'Tokyo Suckerpunch' Of course this must be a sign; two Nihonophiles discovering a book with a beaconic cover. We each picked a copy, and I read it in a couple days. Thus began my love of Billy Chaka.

I highly recommend 'Hokkaido Popsicle' and the other books in the Billy Chaka s
Mathias
Jan 10, 2013 Mathias rated it really liked it
For the basic meat and potatoes review just read my review on Tokyo Suckerpunch. Instead of centering around the Japanese film industry this one centers on the Japanese music industry. I love the Handsome Tigers characters. That was a funny addition. Boy Band by day, violent baseball themed henchmen by night. There is an excellent few pages exploring why rock stars break their guitars on stage. Good light-hearted quick read to pass the time on a long trip or to break up the monotony when reading ...more
Ziona
Jul 07, 2008 Ziona rated it liked it
I like these books because its a different taste for me. I usually don't read anything like this. But I like the fast crime solving beat that this book has. Plus it sated my Japanese fix. Billy Chaka is a character that I want to be like, cool, sophisticated, kick-ass, like one of those cool cats from the 1950's and '60's films. The writing style lets you follow the story until you think you've solved the mystery only to find out you were wrong. I like the thrills and the no nonsense attitude of ...more
Sam
Nov 26, 2007 Sam rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
So far it's pretty fun - murder mystery set in Japan, lots of funny gonzo stuff. The author has a lot of cultural knowledge of Japan and shows it off. I'm not quite halfway through and i think I've got most of the mystery solved - I'm hoping that i don't have to wait until the end for the protagonist to catch up with me...

update:

There were still a few surprises by the end - overall pretty enjoyable, with lots of great atmosphere to make up for a lack of depth for some of the characters.

Наташа
Jun 12, 2016 Наташа rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Знакомые журналистские будни смекалистого дядьки, идеализированные до неприличия, когда можно действительно попасть в крутую переделку, поумничать перед мафией и безнаказанно послать к черту редактора. Сюжет закручен лихо и динамично, действительно напоминает, что-то от тарантино и не отпускает до самого конца. После такого хочется почитать еще что-то в том же духе, бойкого и отдохновенного с крошечной долей своеобразной уличной философии.
Barree
Aug 14, 2007 Barree rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite Billy Chaka adventures. This book is a little more down to earth than the first book but it still delivers the same hard boiled neo-noir style mixed with sake.

Isaac Adamson's Japan is the stuff American Otaku's dream of. Neon washed streets teeming with yakuza, mystery and of course kicks and punches.
Cody
Jan 28, 2008 Cody rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone's inner tamagotchi
ah, the japanese. they're so quaint. isaac adamson's books blow that simple sentiment into exciting, funny, gripping, noiresque detective stories and i can't get enough of them. this one's my favorite. and as usual, the narration is where the charm is. his fish-semi-out-of-water perspective sells the books.
nicole
May 07, 2007 nicole rated it it was amazing
Shelves: grown_up_ish, mystery
One the funniest, most ridiculous scenes I've ever read takes place in this book and it involves animatronic tigers singing Beatles songs.

This is my favorite, but as with all the Billy Chaka books, so long as you can keep the character straight, it's a really fun book, and Adamson's humor is consistent, his metaphors apt and hilarious throughout the series.
Patrick
Jan 21, 2008 Patrick rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2002
My favorite of the Billy Chaka comedy/adventure books set in Japan, featuring an unwitting American journalist hero. I liked this one the most because he's investigating the murder of a famous rock star, and it delves into the dark underbelly of that world.
KT
Jan 15, 2013 KT rated it really liked it
I'd read it before and forgot it all. And now I remember why I liked it so much in the first place!
Frederick Gault
Aug 14, 2012 Frederick Gault rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, humor, fiction

I started to laugh so hard I almost soiled myself! Funny, absurd, and deeply amusing.
Mark
May 07, 2012 Mark rated it really liked it
Issac Adamson writes a fun and fluffy story fill with enough Japanese cultural references to keep you intrigued.
Warren
Dec 18, 2014 Warren rated it really liked it
The writing is great and the stories are fun but the main char is too much of a Mary Sue to completely like. 3 1/2 stars.
Brandon Autry
Nov 09, 2007 Brandon Autry rated it really liked it
A good sequel to Tokyo Suckerpunch. The editing is a little better and the story is just as funny/ridiculous.
Kayleen
Jun 17, 2011 Kayleen rated it really liked it
I never knew where it was going to go.
Brendan Sweeney
Nov 28, 2012 Brendan Sweeney rated it it was amazing
All of the novels in the Billy Chaka series are fantastic. I can't express adequately enough how much you should read them. Do it now!
Ashleigh
Feb 12, 2013 Ashleigh rated it it was amazing
A Pop-culture roller coaster of awesome. With murder.
Tyler Jones
Jan 13, 2016 Tyler Jones rated it liked it
The Billy Chaka series of books are super-fun. This one has a record executive in it who can only speak in Beatles lyrics...so it's my favourite.
Moushumi Ghosh
Jul 24, 2014 Moushumi Ghosh rated it really liked it
My first Billy Chaka and I adore it. Bought it at a sale and I read it again and again. The adventures of a reluctant detective. Sam Spade meets Japanese manga.
Kathleen Furey
Kathleen Furey rated it liked it
Aug 13, 2010
John Smith
John Smith rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2013
Justin
Justin rated it liked it
Jul 01, 2007
Georgina
Georgina rated it really liked it
May 29, 2013
Craig Pittman
Craig Pittman rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2011
Nathan Richmond
Nathan Richmond rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2012
Joe Esposito
Joe Esposito rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2015
Joe
Joe rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2010
  • The Inugami Clan
  • Floating Clouds
  • The Curious Casebook of Inspector Hanshichi: Detective Stories of Old Edo
  • Monkey Brain Sushi: New Tastes in Japanese Fiction
  • Year of the Dog (A Detective Jack Yu Investigation #2)
  • In the Pool
  • 101 Unuseless Japanese Inventions
  • The Maid
  • Shinjuku Shark
  • The Bamboo Sword: And Other Samurai Tales
  • Nightwork: Sexuality, Pleasure, and Corporate Masculinity in a Tokyo Hostess Club
  • Run, Melos! and Other Stories
  • The Assassin's Touch (Sano Ichiro, #10)
Isaac Adamson is the author of COMPLICATION, nominee for the 2013 Edgar Award for Best Paperback Original.

He also wrote TOKYO SUCKERPUNCH, DREAMING PACHINKO, and other Billy Chaka mysteries.

Isaac lives in Portland with his wife and children.

You can follow him on Twitter at @isaacadamson or find him on Facebook.

More about Isaac Adamson...

Billy Chaka (4 books)