I Love You! A Bushel & A Peck

A bushel!
And a peck!
A barrel!
And a heap!

Mutual affection grows between two flirty ducklings as they bill and coo around the farmyard in Rosemary Wells's young and sassy interpretation of a beloved Frank Loesser song. This calls for hugs around the neck while reading, so be sure to share it with someone special.
Published December 14th 2004 by HarperCollins (first published 2004)

Jannet
Nothing remarkable about this book or the words. Its just an illustration of a silly song. That being said, I love it. My grandma used to sing that song to me when I was a child, and I have listened to her sing it to every grandchild since, rocking away in her polished wooden rocker with a baby on her lap. I thought it was just a silly song she had made up, but was delighted to discover it wasn't her original creation but a song I could find in print- I rarely stayed wake long enough to discover...more
The Library Lady
It's unlikely that most of the parents reading this will know this song. But there are lots of You Tube versions of this, and since my 89 year old dad loves Jo Stafford I'm putting in the link to that version:

A nice extra would either have been to include a CD or a link to a download. None the less, the words swing even without the tune, and who could resist those Rosemary Wells ducklings?

Vivian
Valentine's is about LOVE.

The lyrics and score to this familiar song from "Guys and Dolls" are included in the back of the book. If you need a tune refresher and can't read music do a web-search for film clips. Don't hesitate to invite the adults in attendance at story time to join you.

The pictures are big, bright, and comical. Doodle oodle oodle, doodle oodle oodle, a-dooodle oodle oodle ooo.
Carrie
This book made me so happy! My Grandmom used to sing me this song, but she sang it all wrong (and she admitted that) and now I know how it goes! Instead of "It beats me all to heck..." she used to sing "And I'll beat you all to heck". I NEVER understood why if she loved me so much she'd beat me. Grandmom was something else!
Elizabeth S
The song was a family favorite as I grew up, and I enjoy singing it to my kids now. The book has the words and music for the song. And the pictures flesh out the story quite nicely.
K
Does it show my cultural illiteracy that the only reason I know that the author based the book on a Guys and Dolls song is because I heard it at story time?
Karen
I enjoyed singing through this book with my 2 year old, but nothing new really. The book does include the piano music for the song in the back.
Jessie
Why is my toddler so obsessed with this song? I don't really get it. But he is, and this is a cute illustrated version.
Rakisha
based on the song A Bushel and a Peck. Perfect for toddlertime, might be a stretch for those 18 months.
Megan B
I can see how this would be a fantastic book if you know the melody to the song. Unfortunately...

Megan
A cute re-imagining of a song from "Guys and Dolls". Even more fun if you sing it aloud as you read!
Emma (Miss Print)
Sometimes it's weird to read a song as picture book text.
Kris
Charming pictures, lovely song. Ben loves this one.
Eloise
A favorite to read/sing with the grandchildren.
Lucia
SWEET!!!!! very sweet indeed.
Ellen
Zina
Zina added it
Aug 12, 2013
Annette Shacklett
Annette Shacklett marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Guys & Dolls How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying: Vocal Selections Feuer and Martin Present Guys & Dolls: A Musical Fable of Broadway/Vocal Score/Hl00447926 (Score) The Guys And Dolls Book Where's Charley?