Start by marking “I Love You! A Bushel & A Peck” as Want to Read:

A bushel!
And a peck!
A barrel!
And a heap!

Mutual affection grows between two flirty ducklings as they bill and coo around the farmyard in Rosemary Wells's young and sassy interpretation of a beloved Frank Loesser song. This calls for hugs around the neck while reading, so be sure to share it with someone special.

Published December 14th 2004 by HarperCollins (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about I Love You! A Bushel & A Peck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Love You! A Bushel & A Peck

Jennifer Kelley
Feb 28, 2017 Jennifer Kelley rated it liked it
Cute!
Jannet
Nothing remarkable about this book or the words. Its just an illustration of a silly song. That being said, I love it. My grandma used to sing that song to me when I was a child, and I have listened to her sing it to every grandchild since, rocking away in her polished wooden rocker with a baby on her lap. I thought it was just a silly song she had made up, but was delighted to discover it wasn't her original creation but a song I could find in print- I rarely stayed wake long enough to discover ...more
Vivian
Feb 16, 2011 Vivian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Valentine's is about LOVE.

The lyrics and score to this familiar song from "Guys and Dolls" are included in the back of the book. If you need a tune refresher and can't read music do a web-search for film clips. Don't hesitate to invite the adults in attendance at story time to join you.

The pictures are big, bright, and comical. Doodle oodle oodle, doodle oodle oodle, a-dooodle oodle oodle ooo.
The Library Lady
Dec 21, 2010 The Library Lady rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
It's unlikely that most of the parents reading this will know this song. But there are lots of You Tube versions of this, and since my 89 year old dad loves Jo Stafford I'm putting in the link to that version:

A nice extra would either have been to include a CD or a link to a download. None the less, the words swing even without the tune, and who could resist those Rosemary Wells ducklings?

Carrie
Mar 21, 2009 Carrie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, humor
This book made me so happy! My Grandmom used to sing me this song, but she sang it all wrong (and she admitted that) and now I know how it goes! Instead of "It beats me all to heck..." she used to sing "And I'll beat you all to heck". I NEVER understood why if she loved me so much she'd beat me. Grandmom was something else!
Tracey
Feb 27, 2015 Tracey rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
picture book (song from guys & dolls, including sheet music for the melody and chord accompaniment). Cute song that charms adults more than kids (but the unique vocabulary might be worth introducing in storytime, maybe?). I opted not to use it for my baby/toddler group, but I may change my mind--I did like learning the song.
Lindy
May 07, 2015 Lindy rated it it was amazing
Growing up my mom sang to me and my siblings this song at bedtime or when we were feeling sad. I couldn't believe this was a book, too! I went out bought a book for each of my kids (and my siblings too) so they would have it to remember when they had kids. Passing on memories is priceless. Thank you.
cecelia
Jul 17, 2015 cecelia rated it it was amazing
This is a song that I sing to my grand-daughter that is originally from a musical. Needless to say I was ecstatic that I came across the book. If you know the song, you just can not open the book and read it. You end up singing it. The illustrations in the book are lovely as well. Now when I ask her what our song is she will sing this to me.
Rachel
Jan 23, 2015 Rachel rated it really liked it
I love this book, because it brings my grandparent's courting song to life with it adorable illustrations. Every time I would read this book to my son it would remind me of my grandparents beautiful love story!
Kathy
Oct 31, 2014 Kathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: songs
When I found this in the stacks, I knew I wanted to learn the song. I You tubed Andrew Sisters' version and also Doris Day's. It has a fun doodle oodle oodle doo line that kids love. Plus, harvest time illustrations make this fun for fall storytimes.
Shasta
Looking for a book to use for Mother's Day with our Faith Friends here at church. While this is an adorable adaptation of the old song there's nothing more here. But it is well illustrated and does have the sheet music at the end.
Jessie
Mar 21, 2013 Jessie rated it liked it
Why is my toddler so obsessed with this song? I don't really get it. But he is, and this is a cute illustrated version.
Megan B
Mar 21, 2008 Megan B rated it liked it
I can see how this would be a fantastic book if you know the melody to the song. Unfortunately...

Emma
Mar 13, 2013 Emma rated it it was ok
Sometimes it's weird to read a song as picture book text.
Rakisha
Mar 26, 2009 Rakisha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ffy-readlouds
based on the song A Bushel and a Peck. Perfect for toddlertime, might be a stretch for those 18 months.
Rosa Cline
Jan 18, 2017 Rosa Cline rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids, 2017
This story was I'm guessing word for word from the song? Since I'm not familiar with the song the story didn't make since. The Illustrations were cute and eye appealing
Elizabeth S
Feb 01, 2012 Elizabeth S rated it liked it
Shelves: f-picture
The song was a family favorite as I grew up, and I enjoy singing it to my kids now. The book has the words and music for the song. And the pictures flesh out the story quite nicely.
Eloise
May 21, 2010 Eloise rated it really liked it
A favorite to read/sing with the grandchildren.
Casandria
Dec 28, 2015 Casandria rated it liked it
Shelves: preschool, baby, picture
Hmmm, not sure it works. But if you know and love the song, it'll be a cute one to share with your little one.
Karen
Mar 03, 2009 Karen rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
I enjoyed singing through this book with my 2 year old, but nothing new really. The book does include the piano music for the song in the back.
K
Nov 11, 2009 K rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Does it show my cultural illiteracy that the only reason I know that the author based the book on a Guys and Dolls song is because I heard it at story time?
Megan
A cute re-imagining of a song from "Guys and Dolls". Even more fun if you sing it aloud as you read!
Ellen
Nov 10, 2008 Ellen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-to-sing
Fun, fun, fun!
Kathy Larson
Kathy Larson rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2016
Joseph Smith
Joseph Smith rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2016
Polly
Polly rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2011
Leah
Leah rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2013
Leigh
Leigh rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2008
Pam Miller
Pam Miller rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2017