Start by marking “Le Prince des voleurs” as Want to Read:
Le Prince des voleurs

Le Prince des voleurs

3.95  ·  Rating Details ·  66,631 Ratings  ·  3,284 Reviews
Dans le dédale des canaux et des ruelles glacées de Venise, deux orphelins cherchent un abri. Ils sont recueillis par des gamins des rues qui se cachent dans un cinéma abandonné. La petite bande survit grâce aux larcins de leur chef, le fascinant Scipio, appelé le Prince des voleurs. Tout se passerait bien si un détective n'était à leurs trousses, et si le Prince ne les av ...more
Published April 9th 2003 by Hachette Jeunesse (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Le Prince des voleurs, please sign up.

Janice Kohl The ending was disappointing. This author is really good with building characters in her stories. I have read 2 of her books now. Translated from the…moreThe ending was disappointing. This author is really good with building characters in her stories. I have read 2 of her books now. Translated from the German language. C. Funke lives in Germany with her husband and children. (less)

Jonathan

I've read more books than I remember. From the classy literature books (the classics) to the crummy excuses of children's novels thrown into the public libraries to con young readers into believing that they possess quality my reading has been deep and varied. Yet there are some novels I read as a child that impacted me enough to cause me to read them over again. The Thief Lord is one of those books.

What is The Thief Lord? It is a fantasy tale and an adventure story combined and set in modern Ve
Tamlynn
Allison
Set in contemporary Venice (around the time of both answering machines and cell phones), this is not exactly what I expected, which was a historical fantasy with lighthearted, adventurous thieving in it. What I got was a more realistic tale of runaways and orphans trying to make it in a contemporary city. Still, bonus points for Venice!

There was a little bit of thieving, but it was more desperate, the group of kids scraping by while living in an abandoned movie theater. It was sad, but heartwarm
Jackie "the Librarian"
Sep 21, 2007 Jackie "the Librarian" rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Venice lovers
It's a great fantasy: Let's run away to Venice, and hide out in an old movie theater. We can dye our hair blonde, so no one will ever find us!
In a way, this is a European version of From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, with siblings running away to a place stuffed with antiquities, and getting mixed up in an art mystery. I guess Victor the detective must have the Mrs. Frankweiler role.
I didn't expect the touch of fantasy at the end. I'd love to read a sequel to find out what ha
jamieson
THIS IS ONE OF MY ALL TIME FAVOURITE BOOKS!

I love the characters, the world, the story. Scipio was like one of my first book crushes lmao. Seriously, this book is so exciting and fun and has such a great cast of characters who all have such genuine, important friendships and it's magical and beautiful could not recommend it highly enough.

It's like Six of Crows except they live in a movie theatre and they are all like 12

KINDA wanna reread it again now its just the BEST
Peter
Book of the Year Awards... Really? Is it unsympathetic of me to think that this book is... childish? How reductive should authors of children's lit be?

I've been working with a young student this summer, and The Thief Lord, by Cornelia Funke, is a big favorite on the sixth grade circuit. This particular boy had chosen it for summer reading, and so I picked up a copy for myself.

Enh.

Billed as a "fantastical journey" through "the magical underworld of Venice, Italy", The Thief Lord follows a pair of
Kwesi 章英狮
This book did not work well to me, Cornelia Funke gave me another headache after reading her Inkheart series which I thought will be one of my favorites since the movie was great. I did like the movie very much and I dug a hole 6 feet under for the whole series not be seen by my eyes again. Well, I think I broke one of the important rules of reading and watching book-tie-in stuff. I did watch the movie before the book so that made things worst but I was hoping not.

The last time I remember readin
BlueLilyxLilyBlue
Dec 25, 2011 BlueLilyxLilyBlue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who are child-at-heart
Recommended to BlueLilyxLilyBlue by: Apokripos
Shelves: for-the-kids
Venice would be one of the places I'd visit before I die.
The story of The Thief Lord weaved wonderfully with the gorgeous city of Venice.
If this story had been in a different location it might not have been as appealing.
I love it when a book takes me to places I have never been before.
I rarely travel so that factor is very important to me.
This book did just that.
It took me straight to Venice.
Not only did it take me to Venice, I felt like I was right in the midst of the story.
Like I was one of th
Ahmad Sharabiani
دو برادر 14 و 8 ساله ی آلمانی، پدر و مادرشان را از دست داده اند. آنها از دست خاله و شوهر خاله ی خود که میخواهند دو برادر را از هم جدا كنند، به شهر «ونيز» ايتاليا میگریزند. بستگان آنها کارآگاهی را مأمور میکنند تا بچهها را پیدا كند. اما پسرها عضو باندی شده اند که دزدی کار اصلی آنهاست... و یک پایان استثنایی در انتظار آنها ...more
Ginger *Protégée extraordinaire and Kool-Aid mixer*
This was a cute read.
Kind of a mix between Peter Pan/Robin Hood/Oliver Twist. I thought the magical aspect would run heavier in the story than it did.
I enjoyed running around on the streets of Venice with these kids, seeing it through their eyes.
Deborah O'Carroll
Peter Pan meets Six of Crows (a younger version) meets The Boxcar Children in modern-day Venice with a slight twist of fantasy near the end, in this gripping adventure tale of two brothers and their unexpected friends... especially a mysterious boy named Scipio. I adored how Prosper looked after Bo--it made me happy. (Also, pet tortoises! Poor Victor. XD)

Solid 4 stars throughout, might have made it to 5 stars if it had ended how I wanted... As it is, it's being kept from a disappointed-2-stars c
Jenniferxoxo
Jan 20, 2016 Jenniferxoxo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolute 5 Sterne! Eine unglaublich schöne Geschichte, mit viel Emotionen Witz und voll mit Liebe. Ich habe es als Hörbuch gehört es wurde so schön erzählt und die Musik zwischen den Kapiteln hat das ganze noch wirklicher erscheinen lassen. :) auf Cornelia Funke ist einfach immer Verlass!
Ann
Mar 18, 2009 Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
I kept fluctuating between 3 and four stars. Ultimately I'd probably opt for 3 and 1/2, but since that's not an option, I'll go with four because I think it's more of a personal taste thing over the quality of the book.

I'm a huge fan of "Inkheart" so had high hopes for this novel. I quickly realized the two have very different styles, and rightfully so, as this book is (at least I assume) geared for a younger audience.

The cast of characters is delightful, each with their own stories and personal
demetriaa h.
Oct 22, 2015 demetriaa h. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This book is so good, what a wonderful mix of reality and fantasy! I enjoyed it a lot, even though adventure is not my favourite genre. My favourite character is Scipio, let's applaud him for how much he has changed :)
Gabrielle
Jul 18, 2015 Gabrielle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
still such a brilliant book reading as an adult.
I love the imagination and beauty of this book
AH SO GOOD.
I hope Cornelia continues writing beautiful stories like this.
Clarissa Amabel
May 10, 2010 Clarissa Amabel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-book
What a wonderful story!

My favorite character, aside from the kids, is Venice herself. Cornelia Funke has weaved her story so brilliantly in a gorgeous setting, describing the city as if it had its own personality. I think the story wouldn't be as awesome if it were set somewhere else. The mystery that is Venice, the beauty that is Venice... it took my breath away more than once. I also adore the simple illustrations that began each chapter, allowing us a glimpse of the wonderful world these kids
e.c.h.a
Orang dewasa tidak ingat lagi, bagaimana rasanya,
menjadi anak-anak.
Walaupun mereka mengaku begitu.
Mereka tidak tahu lagi. Percayalah padaku.
Mereka sudah lupa semuanya.
Betapa dunia dahulu berkesan lebih besar bagi mereka.
Betapa repotnya memanjat ke atas kursi.
Bagaimana rasanya kalau harus selalu menengadah?
Lupa.
Mereka tidak tahu lagi.
Kau pun akan melupakannya.
Kadang-kadang orang dewasa bercerita, betapa indahnya
ketika mereka masih anak-anak.
Mereka bahkan bermimpi menjadi anak-anak lagi.
Tetapi apa
Iida
Jan 30, 2008 Iida rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: four-stars
I read The Thief Lord two years back when I was in Venice for skiing holiday. The book is excellent, and combined with the right surroundings I was smitten.

Venice in the winter is misty and dreamy, and when we walked around the city, I could almost see the Thief Lord running around with his friends, cunningly planning their theft, getting more and more mixed up in the plots of grown-ups around them. Funke's storytelling is wonderful, her characters believable, and, for a children's book, The Th
Mohamad Efazati
واقعیتش من این و به عنوان هدیه برای کسی خریدم و قبل از هدیه دادن خواندمش. خیلی گروه سنیش نزدیک من نبود
داستانش بعضی جاها کش اومده بود
و بهترین تصویرهاش هم از ونیز بود..

در کل به عنوان کتاب متوسط خوب بود :)
Taylor Natkin
Jan 07, 2013 Taylor Natkin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Thief Lord, by Cornelia Funke, is a fantasy novel about a two orphaned kids. After being told Prosper, a boy around twelve years of age, and his younger brother, Bo, were going to be separated through adoption, they run away to Venice, Italy. Nearing winter, Prosper believed he would have to turn themselves in to save his little brother, who was ill. Luckily, the boys were saved by a young girl, with the nickname Hornet. She brought them to her hideout, which held two more boys. Their leade ...more
Jamie
Mar 05, 2009 Jamie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was told to start with this book, but began with Inkheart instead. Inkheart is entirely of a different variety, totally magical, but this one is destined to be the classic. Set in the streets of Venice, this book has it all: Italian culture, street savvy kids, the Robin Hood-like notion of stealing from the rich to give to the poor, all the while echoing a sort of Les Miserables-like Griviche type thing.
Everybody loves a gang of orphans! These orphans live in a run down movie theater and rule
Abduraafi Andrian
"Apa saja yang dikerjakan orang dewasa sepanjang hari, Victor?"

"Bekerja. Makan, belanja, membayar tagihan, menelepon, membaca koran, minum kopi, pergi tidur."

"Membosankan."

"Begitulah."

-----

Saat-saat ketika kau begitu rindu dengan kebiasaan lamamu; membaca fantasi. Kau akan melakukan apa saja untuk melepas rindu itu; mengorbankan waktu tidurmu, misalnya. Menyenangkan. Khas Funke (walaupun baru baca "Reckless" saja). Ada yang mau meminjamkan "Inkheart" series?

Kata kunci: komidi putar, Venezia, ana
Kirjaneito
Ihanampi kuin muistin.
Anni
Jun 19, 2016 Anni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Die Frau hat es einfach drauf!

Macht Lust nach Venedig zu reisen :-)
Annalise
I am just going to cut to the chase. This novel is EXACTLY like the movie…I mean… the movie is EXACTLY like the book! I watched the movie first which got me to read the book as well. Thinking that the book was going to be a little different than the movie (like all novels are), but to my dismay, there were no differences at all. I liked the fact how the writers in Comet Film Productions created this movie to be spot on with the book. I literally skimmed whole pages and chapters because the movi ...more
Luann
I've really enjoyed most of the Cornelia Funke books that I've read, but the first time I started The Thief Lord the story felt way too typical. Why do so many children's books have orphans for main characters? I felt like I'd already read this book quite a few times. And I felt like the Thief Lord was way too arrogant to be any fun as a character. So I stopped reading after not very many pages and moved on to something else.

On the plus side, this book and the question it raised about orphans in
Alicia Nabors
Sep 14, 2008 Alicia Nabors rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book a lot. I was disapointed when I finished the book. I wanted to know what happened to "The Thief Lord".
After he went on the mmarry-go-round, I alwways wonder what could have happened to him. I love Bo and Prop. They are intresting characters. The love between them is very strong. Barbarossa is one of my least favorite character, besides Esther. He didn't learn anything when he turned into a shrink. This was my first book from this auther. I think I'll read more of her books. I l
Lindsay
It's hard not to raise an eyebrow at the rip-off from Something Wicked This Way Comes, but otherwise, this was a thoroughly fun read. Endearing characters, frequently humorous, lots of action, and beautifully atmospheric with its setting in Venice. I find it harder to get into audiobooks with a male reader, but Simon Jones did a great job with it.
Julia Reim
Aug 20, 2015 Julia Reim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was amazing I love the magic of books set in Venice oh lord (of the thieves -- see what I did there? Awkward) for a kids book it was surprisingly interesting and just how we already know it from Cornelia Funke, written with thought through plot lines and metaphors, bye
Caitlin Gutilla
I did not realize how juvenile this book was going to be when I first started it. It's a cute little story about a ragtag group of children in Venice, Italy. While I did enjoy the simple story, I think I would have enjoyed it much more if I was around the age of 11 or 12.
do you want to read this book? 4 16 Jan 22, 2016 02:23PM
2017 Reading Chal...: 2015 Reading Challenge 2 34 Mar 23, 2015 10:31PM
How great is it? 46 139 Dec 31, 2014 03:19AM
Who loves this book? 38 121 Dec 31, 2014 03:14AM
  • Island of the Aunts
  • The Sea of Trolls (Sea of Trolls, #1)
  • The Water Mirror (Dark Reflections, #1)
  • Starclimber (Matt Cruse, #3)
  • Flyte (Septimus Heap, #2)
  • The Supernaturalist
  • Midnight Magic
  • The Great Good Thing (The Sylvie Cycle, #1)
  • Princess Sonora and the Long Sleep (The Princess Tales, #3)
  • The Tenth City (The Land of Elyon, #3)
  • The Secret of Castle Cant: Being an Account of the Remarkable Adventures of Lucy Wickwright, Maidservant and Spy
  • The Little Ghost
  • Fly by Night (Fly by Night, #1)
  • How to Disappear Completely and Never Be Found
  • The Word Eater
  • City of Flowers (Stravaganza, #3)
  • Chasing Redbird
  • Time Cat
Cornelia Funke is a multiple award-winning German illustrator and storyteller, who writes fantasy for all ages of readers. Amongst her best known books is the Inkheart trilogy. Many of Cornelia's titles are published all over the world and translated into more than 30 languages. She has two children, two birds and a very old dog and lives in Los Angeles, California.
More about Cornelia Funke...

“Children are caterpillars and adults are butterflies. No butterfly ever remembers what it felt like being a caterpillar.” 73 likes
“-You forgot something important!
-What?