Start by marking “Beauty and the Beast” as Want to Read:
Beauty and the Beast

Beauty and the Beast

3.99  ·  Rating Details ·  10,357 Ratings  ·  510 Reviews
This classic fairy tale brings to children a true--and truly beautiful--story of human nature that no book of facts could match. Beauty's unhappiness while she is held prisoner by the Beast is overwhelmed by the growing tenderness his noble soul inspires in her. Full-color throughtout. SizeD.
Published August 22nd 1990 by Simon & Schuster (first published 1756)

Sr3yas
Apr 17, 2017 Sr3yas rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beauty and the Beast, finally.

Not that one.

No, not the one with Hermione either.

Ah, the original! Where Beauty has five siblings including two (evil) sisters and Beast is pretty much a nice guy from the very beginning.

And I really don't understand the fairy's justice system.
You shall remain a beast until someone truly loves you.

You shall remain a statue until you own your faults and pains inflicted upon your sister.

You shall remain dead until someone solves Ecliptic alignment of CMB anisotrop
Mohammed  Ali
Nov 17, 2016 Mohammed Ali rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
رحلة عبر الزمن..إلى زمن الطفولة و الذكريات الجميلة بعد قراءة هذه القصة الرائعة جدا :)
Duane
Just perfect. What's not to like about this story? This fairytale, written in 1756, has been charming children and adults alike for over 250 years. Of course the modern interpretations and enhanced considerably, but this original tale is still an enjoyable read.
Huda Aweys
I love this story .. really :) .. and I think that: this story was able to teach -at some point- about the meaning of nobility and compassion to the children indirectly way !
بالمناسبة بعد قراءتي لألف ليلة و ليلة اكتشفت ان الجميلة و الوحش هي اقتباس لواحدة من حكاياتها :) ! كم انتي عظيمة يا الف ليلة و ليلة
:)))
Brad
Out of idle curiosity, I've lately been turning my reading to Scoutie into a discovery of the source texts for Disney's biggest films. I stumbled upon versions of both Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty that were surprisingly close to Disney's Princess movies, and we had much fun with them (I wish old Walt hadn't cut the baby-eating Ogre Queen Mum from Sleeping Beauty, though. What fun that would have been).

Our most recent read was Gabrielle-Suzanne Barbot de Villeneuve's La Belle et la Bête, the ve
Νόρα
Τραγική παράλειψη από μέρους μου να μην έχω προσθέσει ένα από τα αγαπημένα παραμύθια της παιδικής μου ηλικίας.Η διασημότερη ιστορία αγάπης και το πιο ρομαντικό παραμύθι που ειπώθηκε ποτέ.Το πιο σημαντικό όμως είναι ότι η ιστορία για την πεντάμορφη και το τέρας έχει πολλά κοινωνικά μηνύματα.Όπως το να μην κρίνεις και διαχωρίζεις τους άλλους ανάλογα με την εξωτερική τους εμφάνιση, είναι ένα από αυτά. Η ομορφιά ή η ασχήμια της ψυχής δεν συνάδει απαραίτητα με αυτή της εξωτερικής παρουσίας.
Πρέπει να
Eman
Oct 09, 2014 Eman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
UPDATES:

• Thanks to Rachel in the comments below, it turns out that Gabrielle-Suzanne Barbot de Villeneuve is the author of the original French version which was published in 1740, La Belle et la Bête, which is more elaborate but less famous. If anyone knows where I can get an eBook with good English translation, please be generous and kindly let me know.

• Found the original book! Reviewed [here].

• Can you feel the Belle in Emma Watson? I totally can. Imagine Emma x Hermione x Belle.. All in one
Meags
4 Stars

It's a tale as old as time...

See what I did there? Hehe. Seriously, though, Beauty and the Beast has always been a favourite classic fairytale of mine. I grew up absolutely obsessed with the Disney version because of reasons...

I was always crazy jealous of Belle for snagging herself the owner of the greatest make-believe library in the world. That Beast seriously has it going on!!!

Hearing that a live-action film version is on the way in 2017 was the kick I needed to finally attempt to rea
Mangrii
Jul 23, 2015 Mangrii rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nunca había leído el cuento original, y esta ha sido una ocasión perfecta, aunque sea una versión abreviada escrita por Leprince de Beaumont. No voy a desvelar nada de la trama, pero sí que tengo que decir que tiene muchos cambios con respecto a la conocida versión de Disney, aquí Bella no es hija única y la rosa es importante, pero en otro sentido. En las apenas 50 páginas que tiene el volumen te ves sumergido en este cuento, tanto seas niño como adulto.
Un cuento lleno de magia y sobre todo, de
Maryame
Nov 09, 2016 Maryame rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After seeing the new photos from the Beauty & The Beast movie, I just had to read this.

This is story will forever hold a special place in my heart. I just adore evrything about it.

Belle, next to Rapunzal, is my Favorite princess. & the fact that she's a bookworm makes her even greater.

There are of course differences between the book & the Disney movie, but both are Fantastic and I just Love them so so much

It's just a beautiful, charming story with an amazing message, & I just CA
Bennet
Mar 02, 2013 Bennet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels-stories
I recently found an interesting dissertation about this author, which prompted a rereading of her version of the fairy tale, one of my favorites. To the several good reviews of de Beaumont's telling, I'll add this: The emphasis tends to be on Belle's redemptive love for the beast, but his redemption depends just as much on his love for her; she stays with him because of his kindness to her. It's mutual care and respect that enable this love despite the difficulties. The lesson, girls and boys -- ...more
   ToànTrung Nguyễn
Cảm nhận từ bộ phim mới ra rạp

Đôi lúc tôi khâm phục giới biên kịch Hollywood và Disney, họ có thể làm tới làm lui một cốt truyện mà không biết chán, hiển nhiên nếu cốt truyện đó vẫn còn khả năng kiếm ra tiền; nhưng làm một bộ phim mà nội dung đã cũ, nó có hai nguy cơ lớn: Một, nó không hay hơn phiên bản cũ; và hai, nội dung nó quá quen thuộc đến mức người ta không kiên nhẫn xem lại nó.

Giai nhân và quái vật (Beauty and the Beast) là truyện cổ dành cho trẻ em của bà giáo làng Jeanne-Marie Leprince
Nickolas
Apr 22, 2012 Nickolas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
That’s right I just read Beauty and the Beast. I’m a man too by the way. A MAN! I’m a man that wins pennants and state championship rings. I’m a man that fought in Valley Forge and later stormed the beaches of Normandy to kill Nazi’s. I’m a man that hates sissy stuff and will bench press your face off if you question otherwise. This is not a Disney book OH NO! This is not full of singing and chirping fa la la NO WAY! This is a cautionary tale for real men LIKE ME, who are seduced by pretty women ...more
Raoofa Ibrahim
May 23, 2016 Raoofa Ibrahim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dead-authors
I read this story when I was 7 years .. I still remember some of my imagination about it.
and now I'm re-reading it in English.. It didn't fascinate me like it did when I was little, but It's a good story!
----
I'm excited to see the movie .. Emma watson as Beauty
Beauty and the Beast Official US Teaser Trailer
Yani
Me gustó (carita feliz con una lágrima). De más está decir que terminé de leerlo un poquitín indignada por las atribuciones que se tomó Disney para cambiar la historia (y lo peor de todo: asentarla en la memoria), aunque igual tenía cierta lógica. En el cuento no hay un desarrollo de los personajes, ya que es tan breve que no da tiempo para esas cosas e importa más la moraleja. En esta versión, Bella tiene hermanos e inciden directamente en la historia, por ejemplo. De todas formas, la esencia e ...more
Lou
En esencia no es tan diferente a la versión que hizo Disney (¡uno de mis clásicos favoritos!), no sé porqué esperaba algo más oscuro o perturbador. Eso sí, las ilustraciones son muy chulas.
Marquise
A gorgeous digital edition of Beauty and the Beast with illustrations by Walter Crane that I got from Amazon's Freebies a while back and just got to appreciate now at last.

Crane is one of the best illustrations from the Golden Age as well as one of my favourites not just for Beauty & the Beast but for other tales also, and to get this edition was a nice find. Likewise, I count his interpretation of this French tale amongst my top-ranked of all time, more so because he's not gone for over-ex
Marina Zala
** Books 130 - 2017 **

3 of 5 stars!

Beauty and the beast is one of my favorite disney animation and Belle and Mulan are the strong character woman that Disney ever had! Strong and smart!

There are a few differences scene between in books and movie though. However i think i am more into the disney animation is than the books :3

Thankyou Bookmate!
Amalie
I'm beginning to wonder "the evil" in the fairy tales are really evil? It seems that all the witches and wicked fairies are the smartest women lived in these fairy-tale times. They often cast evil spells to teach wicked people to learn their faults and change, like modern-day rehab. For examples: Frog Prince (the prince himself), Sleeping Beauty (The lesson was for the parents), Beauty and Beast(for Beast).

I used to adore Disney version but this one is better. In this version, Beauty has 3 brot
Marquise
It's a shorter version of Madame de Villeneuve's rendition, less than half the length, and that it's a summation shows, because Belle is less fleshed out and comes out as more archetypical than "real life."

Still, I love the ending of this version more than Villeneuve's for one reason: although in both versions Beast sheds his animalistic form in the end and turns back into a handsome prince, in Beaumont's rendition she expresses dismay at the disappearance of Beast. Which echoes what a lot of f
Ana Rînceanu
While I still have not read the original The Beauty and the Beast by Gabrielle-Suzanne Barbot de Villeneuve, I know that this abridged version is the most popular. I was pleasantly surprised by how gentle the Beast was compared to the Disney version, even if their relationship resembles more a case of Stockholm Syndrome than of true love.
Mon Maryum
I loved the original story better than the Disney film. So many more details. And did you know that Belle used to be rich, had many siblings and that her father was a merchant? I loved this book much better. I will be going to the etymology of many Disney films and see whether I liked the book or the film better.
Maja
One of the most beautiful fairytales. I re-read it. And now I'm ready for the movie.

description
Neri.
Jan 14, 2016 Neri. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the most beautiful fairytales ever told. This classic story is beautiful and absolutely magical.
Maricarmen Estrada M
This, I believe, is the original version of the classic tale for children so popular today. The real worth of a person is her/his virtue and kindness, above wit and beauty. I enjoyed it very much.
Esraa Aljuburi
What else can be said ?

This fairy tale continued to charm people of all ages for hundreds of years since its publishment in 1740 . I am aware that the original novel was written by Gabrielle-Suzanne Barbot de Villeneuve but I chose to read this abridged version by Jeanne-Marie Leprince de Beaumont for its popularity , and I am intending to read the original novel later as soon as I can get it .

The moral behind it needs to be emphasized more in more especially in our current days when everyone is
Evangeline
Mar 30, 2017 Evangeline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not gonna lie, I felt pretty sophisticated reading this.

I was very pleasantly surprised to find that it actually wasn't that different from the Disney animated film! You know, despite the musical numbers and such...
aetan
Feb 17, 2017 aetan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
It's a good, short story but there lacks something, it may be because I love the Disney movie so much.
Natasha GJ Nanny Nakia

Reseñado en mi blog Nanny Books

El cuento maravilloso de La bella y la bestia tal como lo conocemos hoy en día tuvo un largo camino de transformaciones y autores que, con su estilo particular, quitaron y añadieron pasajes distintos al romance. Si quieres leer la versión novelizada de las películas de Disney, te recomiendo la adaptación de Elizabeth Rudnick. Para leer sobre los orígenes de esta historia, puedes ojear mi entrada en donde encontrarán un enlace al verdadero relato que plantó la semil
Carla
Jul 27, 2016 Carla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: minha-estante
Um conto de fantasia lindo e que me surpreendeu pela positiva, isto porque nada tem a ver com o filme da Disney. Apesar de gostar muito da adaptação cinematográfica e ser um dos filmes que mais gosto de ver, adorei o livro. Tem um encanto muito próprio, uma beleza de escrita extraordinária.
Fico sempre surpreendida com os livros adaptados ao cinema, neste caso não foi diferente. Escrito em 1757 é um livro de uma simplicidade maravilhosa e de um encantamento delicioso.
Uma excelente escolha para Le
  • Beauty and the Beast
  • Cinderella, or The Little Glass Slipper
  • Beauty and the Beast
  • Cinderella
  • The Frog Prince (We Both Read - Level 1-2)
  • Snow White
  • East o' the Sun and West o' the Moon
Jeanne-Marie Leprince de Beaumont, born Vaimboult was a French teacher, journalist and writer. She is the author of many classic tales for children and youth.

Jeanne-Marie Leprince de Beaumont, née Vaimboult était une pédagogue, journaliste et écrivain française. Elle est l'auteur de nombreux contes classiques pour les enfants et la jeunesse.
More about Jeanne-Marie Leprince de Beaumont...

“There is many a monster who wears the form of a man; it is better of the two to have the heart of a man and the form of a monster. ” 49 likes
“Afterwards, thought she to herself, "Beast surely has a mind to fatten me before he eats me,” 2 likes