Start by marking “Beauty and the Beast” as Want to Read:
Beauty and the Beast

Beauty and the Beast

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  6,136 ratings  ·  208 reviews
This classic fairy tale brings to children a true--and truly beautiful--story of human nature that no book of facts could match. Beauty's unhappiness while she is held prisoner by the Beast is overwhelmed by the growing tenderness his noble soul inspires in her. Full-color throughtout. SizeD.
Published August 22nd 1990 by Simon & Schuster (first published 1740)

To ask other readers questions about Beauty and the Beast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beauty and the Beast

Huda Aweys
I love this story .. really :) .. and I think that: this story was able to teach -at some point- about the meaning of nobility and compassion to the children indirectly way !
بالمناسبة بعد قراءتي لألف ليلة و ليلة اكتشفت ان الجميلة و الوحش هي اقتباس لواحدة من حكاياتها :) ! كم انتي عظيمة يا الف ليلة و ليلة
:)))
Bennet
I recently found an interesting dissertation about this author, which prompted a rereading of her version of the fairy tale, one of my favorites. To the several good reviews of de Beaumont's telling, I'll add this: The emphasis tends to be on Belle's redemptive love for the beast, but his redemption depends just as much on his love for her; she stays with him because of his kindness to her. It's mutual care and respect that enable this love despite the difficulties. The lesson, girls and boys -- ...more
Brad
Out of idle curiosity, I've lately been turning my reading to Scoutie into a discovery of the source texts for Disney's biggest films. I stumbled upon versions of both Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty that were surprisingly close to Disney's Princess movies, and we had much fun with them (I wish old Walt hadn't cut the baby-eating Ogre Queen Mum from Sleeping Beauty, though. What fun that would have been).

Our most recent read was Gabrielle-Suzanne Barbot de Villeneuve's La Belle et la Bête, the ve
Eman
As a Disney freak, I have a profound weakness for all Disney movies. Beauty and the Beast is my ultimate favorite, and Belle is my all-time favorite princess. I mean, the girl is beautiful, brave, and bibliophile as a cherry on top! I just love her.

This is the first time I read Beauty and the Beast by Jeanne-Marie Leprince de Beaumont. To my surprise, I found myself preferring the Disney movie to the original book. In the movie, there is a more justified story and moral behind the Beast's situat
Amalie
I'm beginning to wonder "the evil" in the fairy tales are really evil? It seems that all the witches and wicked fairies are the smartest women lived in these fairy-tale times. They often cast evil spells to teach wicked people to learn their faults and change, like modern-day rehab. For examples: Frog Prince (the prince himself), Sleeping Beauty (The lesson was for the parents), Beauty and Beast(for Beast).

I used to adore Disney version but this one is better. In this version, Beauty has 3 brot
Nickolas
That’s right I just read Beauty and the Beast. I’m a man too by the way. A MAN! I’m a man that wins pennants and state championship rings. I’m a man that fought in Valley Forge and later stormed the beaches of Normandy to kill Nazi’s. I’m a man that hates sissy stuff and will bench press your face off if you question otherwise. This is not a Disney book OH NO! This is not full of singing and chirping fa la la NO WAY! This is a cautionary tale for real men LIKE ME, who are seduced by pretty women ...more
Chagall
La fiaba non è certo quella di Jeanne-Marie Leprince de Beaumont, pur vantando la traduzione di Beatrice Masini, e chi sia l’autore della riduzione del testo non è dato sapere. Le illustrazioni di Gabriel Pacheco, quelle sì sono uno splendore: non ricordo disegni più belli ispirati a La bella e la bestia. Per i collezionisti di albi illustrati un gioiello!
Belle Vilers
Growing up this was one of my favorite fairy tales adapted by Disney, but I only knew the version by Disney. I remember one night, I saw Beauty and the Beast on TV and I thought it was the disney version. It wasnt the disney version. And What struck me was how the Beast would continually ask Beauty to be his wife. I found it strange. After reading Jeanne-Marie Laprince de Beaumont version of Beauty and the Beast I realized why.

Beauty and Beast is about human nature in its most realist form. Alt
Barbara Ann
This rendition of the classic fairy tale is based on the original eighteenth century version. No Disney elements are found here. This original version was written and distributed widely in France to protest the marriage system of the day in which women had no right to choose or refuse a mate. The original version was a full length novel written for adults, which was later shortened.

At the beginning of the tale, the reader meets a wealthy merchant who has six sons and six daughters. They live sum
Liene Grišina

Ļoti, ļoti jauki. Lasīju ar baudu, jo ir izmantota māka tīkami savirknēt vārdus, ir mazliet stāsta, kas atdzīvina viņu pasaule, bet paliek arī klasiska literārās pasakas noskaņa. Šī, protams, ir viena no šīs pasakas populārākajām variācijām, saīsinājums, kā vēsta interneta avoti, tāpēc jūtos mazliet apmānīta, tikai tādēļ, ka šo detaļu palaidu garām pirms iesāku lasīt.
Šī pasaka man atgādina arī par visu ko, kas lasīts par slepenajiem kodiem par sieviešu apspiešanu. Proti, tādēļ, ka Skaistule i
Angela
C'est un bon livre pour les étudiants qui d'apprendre français. J'ai appris beaucoup de vocabulaire et grammaire.
Amanda
I am currently between novels and decided to give some of the classic fairy tales a go. What's the risk if they're free (on the Kindle) anyway? Beauty and the Beast was such a quick read! You can easily read the book in half the time it takes to watch the Disney version, so I certainly recommend it if you have the opportunity.

According to Goodreads, Jeanne-Marie Le Prince de Beaumont is not the original author of Beauty and the Beast. She took author Gabrielle-Suzanne de Villeneuve's story and m
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
A classic French 18th century version (it's not the original) of the fairy tale. Beauty and the Beast is one of my favourites ever since I saw the Disney movie as a child. Classic versions and reworking alike are stories I want to read. This has to be one of the better versions I've read, which goes into more detail than most. I loved the sisters' punishment!

Favourite Quotes

The definition of a monster
"Yes, yes, (said the Beast,) my heart is good, but still I am a monster."
"Among mankind, (says B
Tomader Almahdi
I remember Mama reading this to me & my sister when we were kids so reading The Beauty & The Beast at this age has brought so many memories & i just couldn't help but smile during the whole thing :D
Barbie
Una de mis historias favoritas... No importa cuántos años tenga, no me cansaré de leerla <3
Miss Asima
I don't really think 'Beauty and the Beast' needs a synopsis. So, I'll just tell you what I think of this edition. :)

It's actually really good for being a kindle edition. Most kindle editions I have read are riddled with typos. This one only has a few small spelling errors. Not enough to interrupt the reading experience.

Beauty and the Beast is really my all time favorite story. I'll read any version I can get my hands on. Even though this one really is "bare bones" so to speak, it's one of my fa
Stephen Curran
Beaumont made some surprising choices when composing her 1756 rendition of this traditional fairy tale (an abridgement of Gabrille-Suzanne Barbot de Villeneuve's earlier version). When the nature of the Beast's predicament is finally revealed, we learn only that he has been cursed, not by whom or why. Even more surprisingly, we get no physical description of the Beast, learning only that he is ugly. Our shared cultural memories, as well as Walter Crane's illustrations, help to fill in the gaps.
Carrie M.
This book is part of my self imposed challenge to gather all novels, fables and myths related to The Beauty and the Beast theme. Though it is a worldly accepted truth that when you want to know about any subject you should go straight to the source, I found this novel so hard to spot it's nearly the last one I'm reading.

Here, I found several elements not present either in the classic Disney movie and the ABC show once Upon a Time. Surprisingly, there was a TV show in the 80's named "Fairy Tales"
Cristina
Esperaba más de este cuento porque La bella y la bestia es mi película favorita de Disney de princesas. Sin embargo, siento que en el cuento pierde la magia de la historia que todos conocemos.

Tal vez el motivo es porque es muy breve, y no te llegas a encariñar con los protagonistas. También puede ser porque varía mucho de la historia que conozco, y esos cambios no me han parecido para bien. A lo mejor es porque cómo está narrada no me ha terminado de llegar, no lo sé. Creo que son todos estos mo
Michelle Raven
Stars: 4.5

I really enjoyed the story. It's probably one on my favorite fairy tales. I would recommend it. :)
Kerrif
Iris
The beautiful and very well-known fairy tale suprised me when I realised that I grew up with the story of the adaptations. There are so many differences, for instance the siblings of Beauty. The fairy tale is nevertheless still wonderful.
Monda
Again I must say it .. Fairy tails are so much different when you read the original stories. I'm starting to hate Walt Disney for missing up with these good stories.

27na 2d7ak 3lina gdn w7na so3'yreen :@
Amanda
Short, simple and to the point, this classic fairy tale is a treasure. Nothing grim, nothing horrible, just a sweet story about what love and marriage should and shouldn't be based on. Love it!
Recently there is a lot of things of retellings of the traditional fairy tales and I wanted to read Beauty and the Beast.
Stephanie Barrios
Esta historia me ha fascinado y eso que siendo sincera nunca me había llegado a gustar la historia que plasma Disney. Es la historia original de princesas que más me ha gustado, me encanta que el libro que leí haya tenido ilustraciones.

La Bella y la Bestia me han gustado bastante al igual que el padre de Bella, las hermanas de ella son insoportables (me alegró un poco el final que le dieron). Al igual que las demás historias de princesas esta tampoco se parece en nada a la historia de Disney, ta
Liz
The writing and story are both simple, but effective. Being only 19 pages, this was a very quick read. The characterizations left something to be desired--the characters were either virtuous and good or selfish and faulty. There is none of the artificial conflict or animated household objects as found in the Disney rendition. Instead there is a sense of a magic that expresses Beast's will.

I would like to see the illustrated version, the kindle version I read did not have the illustrations.

This w
Liv
Beautiful! one of my favorite stories.
Chris The Story Reading Ape
Although familiar with the story, this is the first time I actually read it and am glad I did.

The illustrations are beautiful as well.

Modern children's stories are good but this, and others like it, are truly classic!

See my review also at:

Abi
I'm really enjoying reading classics at the moment.
The language is just so much more beautiful than in the books I normally read, and the plots are quite simple and not over-complicated, which is sometimes very nice to read.
They also seem to convey a better moral, such as in this book that virtue should be more highly praised than wit and looks.
I seem to be getting through them quite quickly, but they aren't that long either, which is good sometimes when you're just trying to fill time by readin
  • Cinderella
  • The Sleeping Beauty
  • Bambi
  • The Twelve Dancing Princesses
  • American Fairy Tales
  • Sleeping Beauty (Classics Illustrated)
  • Goldilocks and the Three Bears
  • Fairy Tales from the Arabian Nights
  • Love and Friendship
  • Beauty and the Beast
  • The Snow Queen
Jeanne-Marie Leprince de Beaumont, born Vaimboult was a French teacher, journalist and writer. She is the author of many classic tales for children and youth.

Jeanne-Marie Leprince de Beaumont, née Vaimboult était une pédagogue, journaliste et écrivain française. Elle est l'auteur de nombreux contes classiques pour les enfants et la jeunesse.
More about Jeanne-Marie Leprince de Beaumont...
La Belle et la Bête La Belle et la Bête et autres contes La Belle et la Bête / L'oiseau bleu The Young Misses Magazine, Containing Dialogues Between a Governess and Several Young Ladies of Quality Her Scholars: In Which Each Lady Is Made to Speak According to Her Particular Genius, Temper, and Inclination the Fifth Edition. Volume 1 of 2 Contes de Leprince de Beaumont