Start by marking “Borderland: Where Magic Meets Rock & Roll (Borderland, #1)” as Want to Read:
Borderland: Where Magic Meets Rock & Roll (Borderland, #1)

Borderland: Where Magic Meets Rock & Roll (Borderland #1)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  574 ratings  ·  17 reviews
First in the Borderland Series of books.
Mass Market Paperback, 256 pages
Published December 15th 1992 by Tor Books (first published May 6th 1986)

B.R. Sanders
Borderland is the very first installation in the series of the same name—a corpus of shared-world short stories and novels which collectively serves as a foundational text for the urban fantasy genre. Written in the 1980s, the books meld punk sensibilities and old-world high-fantasy glamour.

Borderland (this volume) is an anthology of four pieces of short fiction by Steven R. Boyet, Terri Windling writing as Bellamy Bach, Charles De Lint and Ellen Kushner. As with Bordertown, which I read and rev
Nathan Brown
I read this book as a teenager, a 15-yr-old angsty boy struggling with ADHD, in desperate need of an escape. This book will always have a special place in my heart, and heavily influenced me as a writer.
Gail
Bought when it was first published, I read and re-read the book, and hoped for more. Somehow I missed seeing them until now.
Go, Goodreads!

This anthology was an eye-opener, full of new ideas. I loved it. One thing I particularly remember was Wolf-boy finding four-leaf clovers and using them to buy things. Awesome!

When the book first came out, I was already well beyond my teenage years, and never had contemplated running away from home. This book introduced the thought that maybe people run away f
Hyzenthlay
Maybe the five stars are for nostalgia, but that's not all. These books make me ache for the me-that-was, the me that longed for Bordertown with all her heart. Punk rock and the fae, how can you go wrong?
Valerie Garrison
Jun 28, 2011 Valerie Garrison rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adventure lovers, sci-fi fans, those who enjoy the dark side of mythos
Recommended to Valerie by: coworker
Given that this was a fast read, it still managed to intertwine the poetic with the grim, the fantastical with the purely pedantic. I thoroughly enjoyed the connectivity between four authors' tales as set at different times in the Borderland region. The subtle (and not so demure) personalities are set against a backdrop as diverse as they are. At less than 300 pages, one still manages to come to know the characters and vie for their quests for knowledge, power and truth. It is post-modern meets ...more
Becky
Eighties mythic urban fantasy that, almost more than War of the Oaks, sets the tone for the rest of the genre. The prose is merely serviceable, the characters likable but uncomplicated, but the aesthetic of Celtic punk rock, elf/human gang warfare, and glamorous urban decay absolutely succeeds. You can understand why this series inspired its own new wave/nerd subculture back in the eighties.

The first three stories are very much cut of the same cloth, but Kushner's last story is a welcome surpris
Jordan
I read this after having read the newest book in the Bordertown universe, Welcome to Bordertown, and despite my fears that this first book might feel too dated it was just as good. Sure, there's definitely things that place it in the 80's like band references, but the stories themselves felt like they could have belonged any time. There's only four stories in this collection, but I enjoyed all of them. I'm always kind of wary of shared universes, but Bordertown is really well down and has a lot ...more
Kate  K. F.
The Bordertown series is where urban fantasy started to change and grow. This is I believe the first book and is a fascinating read because all the authors have a slightly different idea of what Bordertown will end up being. Every story is amazing from the first one that reads more like a post-apocalyptic scenario to the later ones where Bordertown becomes a clearer place. If you enjoy the urban fantasy of today, go find these books.
Andree
This book has an interestnig concept, elves and humans living in a city between the world and elfland. There's prejudice and crime and magical issues, and all sorts of other things. I enjoyed the four stories in this volume, particularly the first three. The last felt a bit unfinished for me. I'm considering reading more, although I think I'll take a break from it at the moment.
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
This is maybe more like a 2.5. But since we can't give half-stars and this was one of the first things to do what it does, I'm giving it a 3. There are maybe 2 short stories here that really feel worth re-reading. But it established something fairly cool. It's kind of crazy to think that this has been around for 25 years, and that there will be a new anthology soon.
Chris Paluszek
It was ok. The description on the back was more exciting than what was inside. It sounds incredible- magic clashing with non-magic. However, that doesn't come up as much as you'd think. The conflict between elves and humans could have instead been set between neighboring ethnic ghettoes without changing much.
Darin
I read these books twice as a teenager and I still have my original copies! It's one of my favorite series and even after all these years I still remember a lot of the stories and characters.

***Update***

I just got The Essential Bordertown so I am re-reading the series.
Janni
It's hard to know how to talk about this collection, since the four stories in it are so very different from one another. But I especially loved the last one, Ellen Kushner's Charis, which is the story that made the book worth the price of admission, for me.
Bryan
I think I'm in love with this world.
A set of four short stories set in one of the best shared worlds of all time. First short story had way too much swearing for my taste. But that's me. :p They were all awesome stories, though.
Michelle M
My very favorite shared universe, about a city on the blurred edge of earth and faerie, and the people who find their way there. One of many anthologies and stand-alone novels.
Lindig
A very enjoyable series.
❂ Sam [Nerdophiles]
❂ Sam [Nerdophiles] marked it as to-read
Corinnagoodwin
Corinnagoodwin marked it as to-read
Kathleen
Kathleen marked it as to-read
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Jaimie
Jaimie marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Christopher Shultz
Christopher Shultz marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Brendon Hart
Brendon Hart marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
What's The Name o...: SOLVED Borderlands? Maybe [s] 6 26 Oct 19, 2012 10:30AM
  • Elsewhere (Borderlands, #1)
  • Finder (Borderlands)
  • Welcome to Bordertown (Borderland, #5)
  • The Beastly Bride: Tales of the Animal People
  • The Ivory and the Horn (Newford, #6)
  • The Modern Fae's Guide to Surviving Humanity
  • Wizard of the Pigeons
  • Elf Fantastic
Terri Windling is an American editor, artist, essayist, and the author of books for both children and adults. Windling has won nine World Fantasy Awards, the Mythopoeic Award, the Bram Stoker Award, and her collection The Armless Maiden appeared on the short-list for the James Tiptree, Jr. Award. She was also honored with SFWA's Soltice Award in 2010, a life achievement award for "significant cont ...more
More about Terri Windling...
The Wood Wife The Green Man: Tales from the Mythic Forest A Midsummer Night's Faery Tale The Essential Bordertown (Borderland, #4) Bordertown (Borderland, #2)