Start by marking “Desperate Measures” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176

David Morrell

Desperate Measures

Famous for his suspenseful fiction that delivers sheer emotional power, David Morrell, the bestselling author of First Blood, The Brotherhood of the Rose, The Fifth Profession, and Assumed Identity, here presents a mesmerizing novel of intrigue and high-action thrills...Fallen star journalist Matt Pittman holds a gun in his hand, ready to commit suicide...until he's abrupt ...more
Paperback
Published February 9th 1995 by Feature (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Desperate Measures, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Desperate Measures

Cheryl
Sep 30, 2015 Cheryl rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An ok 1994 political thriller about a reporter framed for the murder of a top political advisor. The story was a little slow at the beginning, but soon picked up the pace. The reporter was a little too good to be true. There were too many instances where he just happened to know someone from one of his previous interviews who had the skills/info he needed and was willing to help him. Not this author's best. Mindless entertainment.
Glenn
Sep 30, 2012 Glenn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this book on audio, well read and exciting book. My only issue was to make a reporter challenge professional hitmen and hoodlums, he always had the right trick up his sleeve as a result of previous interviews and had total recall whenever necessary.
Aug 06, 2015 Jennifer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This story is a thriller but it's very slow and takes too long to get to the point. There are some really good suspense worthy bits but when you get to the end and realise what it's about, it's pretty lame. Can't recommend it.
Πάνος Τουρλής
Λοιπόόόόν.....Αρχικά αμερικανιά. Κατά τόπους όμως ανατρεπτικό, αγωνιώδες και σε κρατάει σχετικά. Το στόρι έχει ως εξής: ο θανών είναι ένας από τους μεγάλους 5 που καθορίζουν την τύχη του κόσμου. 5 πατρίκιοι της Ανατολικής Ακτής των ΗΠΑ άσκησαν συνεχή επιρροή στην πολιτική της αμερικανικής κυβέρνησης με την ιδιότητα του συμβούλου των Προέδρων. Μέλη της κυβέρνησης και πρεσβευτές, αργότερα υπουργοί εξωτερικών και σύμβουλοι εθνικής ασφάλειας μεταξύ άλλων. Αυτοί οι 5 φοίτησαν στην ακαδημία Γκρόλιερ σ ...more
Joe Stamber
Oct 26, 2011 Joe Stamber rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2011, audio
My 30 minutes each way commute to work is ideal for audio books. As I turned into my drive tonight after an afternoon shift, Desperate Measures drew to a close and the narrator announced an epilogue. I turned off the engine and decided to see it out rather than listen to the closing statements tomorrow. It turned out to be several minutes of the rambling and unnecessary thoughts of Matt Pittman, the story's protaganist. This pattern had established itself throughout the book, with regular asides ...more
Dale
Jul 26, 2013 Dale rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once you get past the first 35 pages, its quite a ride!

Desperate Measures
begins with newspaper reporter Matt Pittman, the protagonist, who is literally preparing to kill himself with his pistol out of grief for his son that has died from cancer when the phone rings.

Pittman decides to answer it because he wants to make sure that he exits this life without owing anything to anyone. It is his best friend and his boss who covered for him innumerable times when his son was sick. He asks for one mor
Sandra
May 05, 2010 Sandra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This thriller was enough of a page-turner to keep me getting on my exercise bike for a week! The protagonist Matt Pittman, a down-on-his-luck journalist just about to commit suicide, is pulled from the brink by a phone call for help from an editor friend to whom he is deeply indebted. Vowing to give his friend one week of service writing the obituary of a grand statesman who is not yet deceased, Pittman soon finds himself accused of murder and on the run. Soon dead bodies are piling up.

Pittman s
David Allen
Aug 02, 2015 David Allen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This novel starts out with a character who doesn't even want to be alive.

Then his newspaper employer sends him on an assignment that gets a lot of people angry.

He becomes a fugitive, seeking allies out of former criminals, debutantes, and bitter has-beens in government to discover the truth behind a big conspiracy.

In the process, it explores the connection between real secret societies, private education, and the government.

All thriller readers love a good conspiracy, and this book does a good
Rebekkila
The suicide of Matt Pittman, fallen star journalist, is abruptly interrupted by a phone call and an unexpected assignment: write an obituary of a man who is not yet dead. Suddenly, clinging desperately to a life he'd so recently been eager to discard, Matt will be thrust into the heart of a conspiracy whose global influence remains terrifyingly unsurpassed. And he will find himself both a suspect for murder by the police and a target for murder by invisible killers determined to destroy him-and ...more
Lyricsninja
Nov 01, 2012 Lyricsninja rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fast moving novel that intertwines a lot of conspiracy theory with how the country is run. When powerful people get caught up with the wrong agenda behind them... theres lots of room for murder, intrigue, and coverups. this was a very quick read overall with solid writing and some impressive (though sometimes forced) character building.
Bnschmid
I enjoyed this book.It's by the guy who wrote,"First Blood",which,if I'm not mistaken,is the Sylvester Stalone movie that was popular 600 years ago.So any way,this guy,Matt Pittman,was sitting at home,getting ready to swallow some whiskey and a bullet,when he got called back to work as a journalist,and the games begin!
Jackie Levy
This was a quick read where I turned the pages rapidly. Though it might be an appropriate book to read while you are on jury duty or in a crowded place, I would not really recommend this to anyone. That being said, if I need another quick and very easy to read book, I might pick another one by this author.
Angie
Feb 07, 2015 Angie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Listened to this on a car trip. It's a good book for that purpose---entertaining and engrossing without requiring so much attention that I cannot concentrate on my driving. There were some clever elements, BUT it dragged on WAY TOO LONG (husband & I both thought so)and had a sappy anteclimactic epilogue ending that solidified my decision to give it a 2 versus a 3.
George
Oct 01, 2011 George rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Έκτακτα μέτρα", εκδόσεις Bell.

Το τρίτο βιβλίο του Ντέιβιντ Μόρελ που διαβάζω φέτος αλλά και γενικά, και μπορώ να πω ότι είναι και το καλύτερο. Αμείωτη δράση και ένταση από την αρχή μέχρι το τέλος, κυνηγητά, αναζητήσεις, συνωμοσίες, πολιτικό παρασκήνιο, τρομακτικά μυστικά και πολύ μυστήριο. Το τέλος αρκετά δυνατό! Επίσης μου φάνηκε πολύ καλογραμμένο.
May 02, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this was very suspenseful and a quick read – basically one long adventure with the main character and his allies trying to stay one step ahead of the men who are hunting them. Definitely a page turner, but I gave it four instead of five stars because it was a bit formulaic.
Rich
Dec 29, 2014 Rich rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mike
Nov 07, 2010 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Re-read 11/4/2010
Re-re-read 9/10/2016

One of my favorite thrillers. I'm sure I'll be able to read again in 4-6 years. This is the first time I've noticed the "a week ago I was about to kill myself" line get a bit overused. But nevertheless stays on the Faves!
Cheri
Jul 11, 2012 Cheri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: readbutdontown

I really enjoyed this book, but it was distracting how they kept using pay phones instead of whipping out a cell (it was written in 1994). Otherwise, it had action, heart and a decent story.
Alsjem
Feb 17, 2012 Alsjem rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A slow start but once it got going it didn't stop. A suicidal journalist on the run from powerful, but elderly statesman realises he is the sum of all the people he has ever interviewed. Can he uncover their secret before they all die of heart-attacks?!
Jen
Entertaining for a commute, but requires an extraordinary suspension of disbelief. I almost stopped listening when the horses entered.

If you're a conspiracy theorist, it seems like this author might suit you.
Joy
Jun 22, 2008 Joy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the guards gave me this book. I am really enjoying it. It has twists and turns and cliff hangers at the end of each chapter. A man who lost his son to cancer and then his wife to divorce, is waiting to clean up his loose ends and pay off all his debts so he can quietly kill himself.
J Tomaino
Sep 15, 2014 J Tomaino rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first novel I've read by David Morrell. What a page turner! I can't wait to read his other novels.
Chamie
Feb 23, 2009 Chamie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I would have normally given this book a 3 but I liked the ending so it got a 4. I also liked the short chapters.
Michelle
I stopped reading David Morrell because he was losing the touch. I did enjoy this. It is more like the orginal writing he did. Smart.
Jim
Sep 24, 2011 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you have read David Morrell before you know what to expect. If you have't this is a page turning thriller with a growing body count.
Levent Mollamustafaoglu
I didn't know that David Morrell is the writer of Rambo (First Blood). The book was interesting, but not quite with many original ideas.
Tom
Aug 20, 2012 Tom rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classic "beach book" as my mom would call it. Entertaining and fluffy. It is neat to read thrillers written before cell phones and Internet.
Judi Mckay
Not literary but a good book to read on a hot beach. Would read more of his stuff on a beach or a plane
Ed [Redacted]
Ed [Redacted] rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2012
Jamie Lancaster
Jamie Lancaster rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2008
  • Mafia Fix (The Destroyer, #4)
  • Lori
  • The Second Saladin
  • Zero
  • Joshua's Hammer (Kirk McGarvey #8)
  • Bad Company (Sean Dillion, #11)
  • The Select
  • Clive Barker's Shadows in Eden
  • The Shark Mutiny (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #5)
  • Jericho Point (Evan Delaney, #3)
  • Dread
  • Under Cover Of Darkness
  • Body of Truth (Stuart Haydon, #5)
David Morrell is a Canadian novelist from Kitchener, Ontario, who has been living in the United States for a number of years. He is best known for his debut 1972 novel First Blood, which would later become a successful film franchise starring Sylvester Stallone. More recently, he has been writing the Captain America comic books limited-series The Chosen.
More about David Morrell...