Start by marking “X-Men: Mutant Genesis” as Want to Read:
X-Men: Mutant Genesis

X-Men: Mutant Genesis (X-Men II #1)

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,698 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
The best-selling storyline is back in print! The mutant terrorist Magneto again threatens the world, and only the X-Men can stop him! And should they survive this confrontation, the villainous Omega Red is waiting in the wings! Collects X-Men (1991) #1-7.
Paperback, X-Men Trade Paperbacks, 192 pages
Published March 29th 2006 by Marvel Comics (first published April 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about X-Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about X-Men

X-Men by Chris ClaremontX-Men by Chris ClaremontAstonishing X-Men, Vol. 1 by Joss WhedonAstonishing X-Men Omnibus by Joss WhedonAstonishing X-Men, Vol. 2 by Joss Whedon
X-Men Trade Paperbacks
35th out of 180 books — 73 voters
Batman by Alan MooreBatman by Jeph LoebSpider-Man by J.M. DeMatteisKingdom Come by Mark WaidX-Men by Chris Claremont
Favorite Super Villain
9th out of 17 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Ronyell
X-Men

Introduction:

I have been reading the “X-Men” comics for awhile now, but there was one story line that fans were raving about during the 1990s and that was “X-Men: Mutant Genesis!” Well, the reason why “X-Men: Mutant Genesis” was praised a lot by the fans during the 1990s was because this was the highest selling comic book at the time. It also helped paved way for the famous 1990s cartoon series and it even paved way for an arcade game called “X-Men: Children of the Atom.” “X-Men: Mutant Genes
Kee the Ekairidium
Chris Claremont is the definitive writer of the X-Men comics. He wrote for this series for sixteen years, if you can imagine. The X-Men that I personally grew up with was the animated series version which was more or less based from Claremont's stories.

This is why I chose to read first the 1991-1992 short run of X-Men which only had eleven issues. This volume is comprised of the first seven of that roster with two main story arcs; one about Magneto (#1-3) while the rest is about Wolverine (#4-7
Nicolo Yu
Dec 03, 2011 Nicolo Yu rated it really liked it
Shelves: sdcc-2008-hauls
This was a definitive Nineties classic. Marvel Comics launched a new title for artist Jim Lee to actively co-plot. The result was a perfect storm of a bestseller. The great Lee art, the multiple covers, a new number one issue, and comic book speculation, these were all factors that resulted into a genuine Guinness World Record. Over seven million copies of the first issue were sold.

This effectively relaunched the X-Men and defined them for a decade. This trade paperback collects the first seven
Pamela
Jun 13, 2009 Pamela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Since the new X-Men title X-Men Forever picks up in the middle of this story, I figured I should re-read it. It's been ages since I last did and I couldn't remember what had happened.

The story is a bit convoluted (but then what Claremont story isn't?), but it was interesting and enjoyable. I really like Magneto's internal conflict about his own destiny; he's swiftly becoming a favorite character as I re-read old issues. The second half of the story, which deals with Wolverine being kidnapped by
Frank Terry
So, back when Comixology was having some problems earlier this year they gave out a free five dollar gift card to all of their customers to encourage them to continue buying digital comics from them throughout all of the stress and strife they went through.

So, one day, awhile or so after, I bought this.

For a very, very long time I've wanted to read more classic X-Men issues. I don't know, actually, very much at all about the franchise other than what I learned from the different video games and
B. Reese
Jun 19, 2015 B. Reese rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-books
The debut of the "iconic" 90's costumes and the Blue/Gold Team split, this is a pretty good storyline to read through. The art is also amazing. Even so, it is not quite as good as the majority of the rest of Claremont's run as he wanted to take the book in other directions.

I read the beginning of Claremont's run digitally on my kindle (40 Years of X-Men Collection) then this and his X-Men Forever Series. That really made for a great start to finish X-Men Epic. I have since taken a break after t
May 01, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
2 words: Jim "AMAZING" Lee. Great art and good storytelling yet again! This was a great new beginning for the X-men with the division of Blue and Gold teams. The glory days..
Feb 04, 2013 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Okay. So, after my last X-Men paperback, I decided I was going to go back to the very beginning of that universe/reboot, and read the whole thing in order. I researched online and found issue #1 of that series, and put a hold at the library for that (this) trade paperback. I was pretty happy with this plan.

This plan sucked. Issue #1 it may have been, but still it was a jump-in to already existing plotlines and characters, with very little introduction to either. I did finally figure out who that
Andrew
Apr 07, 2009 Andrew rated it really liked it
Shelves: yes-i-m-a-geek
Generally when most people, at least my age, think of the X-Men, this book typifies what they think of. Mostly because if they read any books it was likely this. And perhaps more importantly this is the era when the 90s cartoon was made, and they pulled the costumes and the team makeup from this rebuilding of the franchise. It also marks a pivotal point in both the rise and fall of comics in the 90s. But enough on the history...

This book builds off of the original 5 X-Men coming back into the fo
Luis Ortiz-martinez
Oct 04, 2013 Luis Ortiz-martinez rated it it was amazing
The x men are back. When members of the alcoyates make magneto a visit, problems surge. Later nick fury ,the director of shield ,tells the president that the upstate New York school can help. We arrive when they are taking practice in their new state of the art danger room. We see how each sub group of the x men work. As always wolverine takes it solo. We later are drawn to the scene where nick fury and the x men are chatting about magneto. Wow! What agreate book, this is what a comic book shoul ...more
Joe
Feb 11, 2015 Joe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Classic X-Men.This was another one I had first read in middle school.These were the X-Men characters that introduced me to the comics growing up.Two great stories one involving Magneto ,Astroid M, and The Acolytes and the other with Omega Red, Sabertooth, And Maverick (A often forgotten but favorite character of mine) This was a real pleasure to read again after so many years.
Jose Miguel
Sep 25, 2014 Jose Miguel rated it it was amazing
Claremont lo hizo una vez mas, pero ésta vez, acompañado del siempre perfecto lápiz de Jim Lee, quien re-definió la imagen de los X-men a como la conocemos hoy en día. Desde una confrontación épica en contra de Magneto y su grupo de acólitos, hasta la introducción de Omega Red y parte del pasado de Wolverine, este arco es sin duda uno de los mejores de los hijos del átomo.
Josh
Mar 31, 2015 Josh rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned
So I grew up loving the X-Men and even watched the 90's cartoon religiously. This trade just didn't do it for me. I was especially surprised at how much I didn't like Jim Lee's art, as most people talk about it as if it should be hanging in a museum somewhere. I found that Lee consistently poses characters in the most awkward positions. Psylocke being the most obvious example, always flying in and attacking with her crotch. The first story arch set Magneto back from previous character developmen ...more
Timothy McNeil
I had read these issues when they first came out (or probably from when issue #2 came out, having to pay the mark-up for #1) and remembered not being especially happy with them. The Omega Red storyline seemed to come out of nowhere and the villains were poorly handled. Both of those still seem to be the case (in my estimation), but the art bothered me more than anything else. Jim Lee has done much cleaner work, to be sure, but here he just wasn't consistent.
Lloyd
May 17, 2009 Lloyd rated it really liked it
This book of the first seven issues of the X-Men (Vol. 2) was really rewarding for me to read.

As I'd said in some of the updates, I really han't read these stories for going on twenty years. The time that I read them before was the heyday of the X-Men, the heyday of my youth, and the (ending of the) heyday of Chris Claremont on X-Men. Mr. Claremont was really (though not realizing it at that point) the first writer of comics that I really got into.

These stories are great.

You've got a battle wit
Thom Stone
Nov 08, 2014 Thom Stone rated it liked it
I liked seeing Magneto at his most desperate moment--made for some very stirring soliloquy moments--but the storytelling was otherwise pretty lackluster and convoluted.
Adam Fisher
Aug 29, 2015 Adam Fisher rated it it was amazing
This is the X-men of my childhood! So great to take this Jim Lee/ Chris Claremont ride again. The nostalgia alone brings a smile to my face.

High recommend
Federiken Masters
Nov 19, 2012 Federiken Masters rated it liked it
Los primeros números estoy seguro de haberlos leído de corrido. Los últimos, creo que también. Puede que me falte uno o dos en el medio, pero me parece que también los había leído. Lo loco es que el contenido de este libro lo tengo en papel salvo el #X, pero del #1 tengo 4 las portadas USA alternativa y hasta un baqueteado ejemplar de edición argentina.
En revistas tengo seguro: #1, 2, 5, 6, 8-15, 17-27, 29-32, 96 y 118, y puede que alguno más. También tengo varios repetidos en ediciones español
Brendan Ferraro
Amazing art work by the best Jim Lee and amazing story by the best x-men writer Chris Claremont. A must read.
Ivan
Nov 16, 2012 Ivan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually enjoyed it! the remastered version had the sense of nostalgia and Mason's new colored version matched well with Lee's artwork, but Claremeont and Lobdell in my opinion did just an okay job with the story, fun and good but not epic as well written compared to their other X-Men works!
Angel
Borrowed this one from the local public library. The copy was a bit tattered, so it may be a testament to its popularity. I had to request it from a different branch.

See my note on it over in my blog:

[http://gypsylibrarian.blogspot.com/20...]
Daniel Lawless
Jan 29, 2013 Daniel Lawless rated it it was amazing
Jim Lee Bring an all new look to the X Men featuring the highest selling comic of all time X Men #1 and the emotional last issues of legendary X Men writer Chris Claremont.

Great story showing Magneto as character with his heart in the right place but going about things the wrong way
Michael
Feb 25, 2008 Michael rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
What's there to say?

It's a standard battle against Magneto and Omega Red.

The story by Chris Claremont is great, as always, and the art by Jim Lee is worth framing.

I could just devour the X-Men stuff from the early to mid 90s!
Elizabeth
Aug 30, 2009 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
It was fun! I will teach it again. It's two separate stories bound together as one "graphic novel." I think I liked the first one better, but the second one had funny cold war era stuff. always a treat.
Petabyte
Dec 21, 2007 Petabyte rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably the best X-Men story arc ever. Stuff's just as good as when I read it 10+ yars ago. Go and borrow or buy your own copy. This book comes highly recommended.
Joel Gomes
Sep 13, 2013 Joel Gomes rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This was Claremont saying goodbye after years of writing for the X-Men. I have to say: I hated to see him leave, but I loved the way he said farewell.
Tim
Sep 30, 2013 Tim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
I loved this when it came out... and I still like it quite a bit now. The story is so long winded and corny (and so 90's)... but Jim Lee's art is impeccable.
Daniel Clausen
Aug 15, 2011 Daniel Clausen rated it it was amazing
Anything by Jim Lee deserves five stars in my book. I bought these comics when I was in middle school. For me, the Omega Red series was the best.
Angela
May 07, 2011 Angela rated it liked it
Ok, a new series with good artwork and very short stories. Probably was still trying to get readers on board, hopefully it will get better.
Stephanie
Aug 12, 2011 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
so many awesome people in this one: magneto, JEAN!, psylocke, piotr, beast, wolverine, gambit. omg. love!
a hot mess trying to find a complete run of it 1 2 Apr 15, 2016 07:20PM
  • X-Men: Age of X
  • X-Men: Phoenix - Endsong
  • The Amazing Spider-Man: Origin of the Hobgoblin
  • Marvel Masterworks: The Avengers, Vol. 1
  • Wolverine: Weapon X (Marvel Premiere Classic)
  • Spider-Man: Birth of Venom
  • X-Force, Vol. 1: Angels And Demons
  • Uncanny X-Men: Divided We Stand
  • X-Men: Onslaught - The Complete Epic, Book 1
  • X-Men: The Day After
  • X-Men: Nation X
Chris Claremont is a writer of American comic books, best known for his 16-year (1975-1991) stint on Uncanny X-Men, during which the series became one of the comic book industry's most successful properties.

Claremont has written many stories for other publishers including the Star Trek Debt of Honor graphic novel, his creator-owned Sovereign Seven for DC Comics and Aliens vs Predator for Dark Hors
More about Chris Claremont...

X-Men II (1 - 10 of 57 books)
  • X-Men/Ghost Rider: Brood Trouble in the Big Easy
  • X-Men: Legion Quest
  • X-Men: Age of Apocalypse Prelude
  • X-Babies Classic, Vol. 1
  • X-Men: Prelude to Onslaught

“Mutants, super beings, gods, aliens, a guy who sticks to walls at one extreme, a creature who eats planets at the other; Each one that comes into being, they feel, diminishes the rest of humanity, ordinary homo sapiens, that little bit more.” 0 likes