Start by marking “Man, Interrupted: Welcome to the Bizarre World of OCD, Where Once More is Never Enough” as Want to Read:

James Bailey's form of obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) was as bizarre as it was unbearable. He was obsessed by a fear of drugs and their effects, believing himself to be in constant danger of becoming insanely high through people spiking his food, or even by just touching a photograph of a marijuana leaf.

The treatment programme he went through at a specialist American
Published January 4th 2007 by Mainstream Publishing (first published January 5th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Man, Interrupted, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Man, Interrupted

Patty
Aug 24, 2008 Patty rated it really liked it
Well written and funny and informative about OCD.
Ellie [The Empress]
It really is amazing how different people are. Most people think our differences come from our opinions, but it is so much more. This book allows us to see through the eyes of someone that has OCD and tries to help himself. James, had a severe OCD, he also experience some quite stressful events in his life, this turns him into a total weirdo. The book starts with his admittance to a stay-in clinic for helping people with OCD. From the moment he gets out of the cab his treatment starts and it has ...more
Kim
Dec 20, 2009 Kim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Hmmm. An odd book whch i feel in some ways never got to where it was going.

I never really found the main character or understood the basic premise of his OCD.

The book seemed essentially rather random.
Kathrine Nielsen
Jun 27, 2014 Kathrine Nielsen rated it did not like it
I had quite a high hope for this book and it turned out to be gibberish! It seemed the writer never really understood his OCD and I was left wondering why he hadn't been able to work on it on his own with a terapist when he seemed to have no problems getting better very fast.
I was also left wondering why on earth I had to read about his atraction to Asian women and why he used almost all his time in the program hitting on them!? Sure it was a little bit funny in the beginning and his character
P
Jul 08, 2014 P rated it liked it
Seems more about narcissism. I read right through it; it's light reading and pretty funny. Good assurance for the hypochondriacs out there that they don't suffer from OCD.
Dermott Hayes
May 16, 2012 Dermott Hayes rated it liked it
James Bailey and I were My Space friends with a common interest in writing. He read some of my short stories and wrote to me, suggesting I read his novel. So I went out and tracked it down in a small bookstore. It's a remarkable book in that it is a first hand look at OCD or Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and even more remarkable for never getting maudlin or soliciting sympathy. Bailey's style is to give a matter of fact account of how the disorder 'ordered' his life and how he came to terms with ...more
char
Aug 13, 2011 char rated it it was ok
Shelves: mental-health, memoir
I read it but I can not say that I enjoyed it. I did not appreciate its discriminating and sometimes racist comments and thought patterns. I chose Man, Interrupted because of its title attracting my attention and reminding me of Girl Interrupted. If it had a different title I would never had read it and been saved the pain. If only I could shake the habit of reading something through just because I have started it!
Amanda
Why does this book KEEP getting deleted off my shelves? REALLY???????? WHY????????? I obeyed what the GoodReads staff commanded of me! I didn't attack anybody! I have valid and legitimate reasons for not wanting to read this book! I've read a bad review from my friend! Come on, already.
Mary
Jul 19, 2011 Mary rated it it was amazing
Great book and not only fun and raw but gave me a whole new look at how people deal with OCD the writer is so talented and funny, brilliant and emotional!
Heather
Apr 01, 2009 Heather rated it it was ok
This was pretty bad, although so bad it was slightly entertaining. The main character has some strange fascination with Mel Brooks and Asian girls.
Tabby
Sep 27, 2012 Tabby added it
Very well written, very informative, humorous and uplifting at the same time. Very good insight into OCD. Highly recommend it to anyone who has OCD.
Heather
May 15, 2012 Heather rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult
i was sent this book by a friend who i talked to about my o.c.d. and it turned out to be a very good and helpful book!
Zulaikha Sizarifalina
Dec 13, 2011 Zulaikha Sizarifalina rated it it was amazing
OCD. At last I understand what it is
Rick
Aug 02, 2011 Rick rated it really liked it
Interesting read about OCD.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Sabrina Huff
Sabrina Huff marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
Shobha
Shobha marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
Louise
Louise rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2016
Foteini Elric
Foteini Elric marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Debbie Robinson
Debbie Robinson marked it as to-read
Marisha
Marisha marked it as to-read
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Jennifer Fitzery
Jennifer Fitzery marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Sami Clara
Sami Clara marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Eva
Eva rated it it was ok
Jul 20, 2016
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Christa Nonnemaker
Christa Nonnemaker marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
Tonjade Hong
Tonjade Hong marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016