Start by marking “Under the Jolly Roger: Being an Account of the Further Nautical Adventures of Jacky Faber (Bloody Jack, #3)” as Want to Read:

Under the Jolly Roger: Being an Account of the Further Nautical Adventures of Jacky Faber (Bloody Jack #3)

4.32  ·  Rating Details ·  8,667 Ratings  ·  527 Reviews
After leaving the Lawson Peabody School for Young Girls in Boston—under dire circumstances, of course—Jacky Faber boards a whaling ship bound for London, where she hopes to find her beloved Jaimy. But things don’t go as planned, and soon Jacky is off on a wild misadventure at sea.
Published October 18th 2010 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published August 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Under the Jolly Roger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Under the Jolly Roger

The Book Thief by Markus ZusakA Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba BrayNumber the Stars by Lois LowryThe Luxe by Anna GodbersenThe Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare
Teen Historical Fiction
1,051 books — 2,564 voters
Treasure Island by Robert Louis StevensonPeter Pan by J.M. BarrieThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanBloody Jack by L.A. MeyerPirates! by Celia Rees
Pirates!
464 books — 624 voters

More lists with this book...

Madison
Mar 05, 2008 Madison rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: every girl who has ever dreamed of pirates.
This book is my favorite the series. It gives women a little less of a fragile sense and more of a indestructable yet vulnerable headstrongness that I truly love. Definately a favorite. ^-^
R. L. Snowe
As usual Jacky's story was entertaining, exciting, and breathtaking!
Celise
It makes me sad that they don't write many pirate novels for adults. This series is listed as YA, and the themes within are suitable for that category, but the main character is just so obnoxiously childish that I think I've outgrown her.

The author does his research well in terms of nautical technicalities and such, but there is no way a crew of brutes would love and protect a young girl who acts like such a ditz, and accept her as their Captain. Meyer makes things so black and white: there are
Tara Chevrestt
Yet another fun, fabulous read about the fiesty heroine, Jacky Faber. In this, the third installment of her adventures, Jacky has left behind a burning Boston (literally!) and is now back to a life at sea. First stop: England. Things don't work out very well for Jacky in England tho.. She is kicked out of her beloved Jaimy's house and then sees him with another woman and well, rather than wait for any kind of explanation (It is the hotheaded Jacky Faber we are talking about here) she runs away. ...more
Rachel
Jul 15, 2009 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Another excellent book by L.A. Meyer. Jacky manages to find her way back to England only to mistake a lady Jaimy is with as his girlfriend, when it is instead his cousin. On the way back to her hotel, she is mistaken for a boy again and put onto a press gang and she ends on another of His Majesty's ships as a sailor. She makes the best of it and eventually by a total freak accident ends up captain of the same ship and does some privateering in the name of the crown and gets her own ship. I thoug ...more
Angie Taylor
Feb 29, 2008 Angie Taylor rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite by far in the series. There is tons of dramatic irony and tons of playful romance, which I love. Also this is the one where the characters are mostly at sea and all of the adventure deals with pirateing. It is a great read.
Linda
Jun 14, 2011 Linda rated it it was amazing
Waiting for the ferry to San Juan Island, I wandered over to their small coffee kiosk. While waiting for my order I asked the barista what he was reading. I don't remember the exact title, but it had to do with a girl who became a pirate and his description was very intriguing.

This weekend in San Diego's Maritime Museum, I found several books with a cover similar to the one he showed me. And I did remember that he had mentioned something about "Bloody Jack." So I bought one of the books and star
Nancy O'Toole
When her time at the Lawson Peabody School for Young Girls ends poorly (and with the city of Boston in flames), Jacky Faber decides to head back to London to reunite with her beloved Jaimy Fletcher. But when she witnesses evidence that Jaimy has been unfaithful to her, she panics and runs straight into a press gang. As Jacky is dressed in male garb, they mistake her for a boy and attempt to press her into service on a ship. When Jacky reveals her true gender, she is horrified with the ship's cap ...more
Sherwood Smith
Wonderful characters, splendid voice, galloping pacing, all kinds of questions raised, but for the most part Meyer stays true to the period paradigm. Jackie is far from perfect, never preachy, but honestly faces her mistakes—and her faults. Watch for some very sly nods to literature! I recommend these highly to anyone who loves rollicking sea adventure stories.
Justin
Jenben8426
Feb 22, 2012 Jenben8426 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
After leaving the Lawson Peabody School for girls in a bit of a smoky disaster, Jacky Faber is on her way back to England, determined to figure out why she has not heard from her beloved Jamie. Once back on her homeland soil, Jacky again dons her jockey digs in order to find her love. But when she sees Jamie with another girl, she immediately comes to the conclusion that he no longer wants her and she flees from him only to be taken by a press gang and thrown aboard a ship with a dangerous capta ...more
Ellen
Aug 14, 2013 Ellen rated it liked it
While all of the Jacky Faber books are great, This was the one that in retrospect began the constant adventures and patterns. (Jacky in one scrap or another where she is able to make lots of money with her cleverness, always barely being able to keep her virtue in tact. Jamie is always one step behind her. and has terrible things happen to him) Yeah this is where it became obvious what would happen through out the series.
This one was still good though, Jacky has left her school and is having ma
Ryk Stanton
Sep 16, 2016 Ryk Stanton rated it it was amazing
I love this series. Yes, Jacky Faber is a Mary Sue, but I just don't care. I have fun reading these books, and they are so well-researched that I actually learn things too. For example, I never knew why we had the expression "son of a gun" until I read it in this book. I looked it up after reading why in this book, and was amazed.

Jacky is really a good-hearted girl, too, and that makes me love this series all the more. What would YOU do with your winnings as a pirate? Probably not what Jacky doe
Joy
After leaving Boston and the Lawson Peabody School of Young Girls behind in flames, Jacky returns to England in search of her dear Jaimy. But after getting kicked out of Jaimy's house and seeing him with a another woman, she runs away, only to be kidnapped and drafted by a press gang. So begins Jacky's adventure aboard another of His Majesty's ships: the HMS Wolverine. But this time, the captain of the ship is a dangerous, lecherous man who only wants to see Jacky in his bed. For the sake of her ...more
Morgan Sweeney
Jan 02, 2010 Morgan Sweeney rated it it was amazing
This one was the best in the series in my opinion. It really set the course for the next few books. In this book, Jacky becomes a pirate. In all the books, I like Jacky as a pirate the best.
Also, did anyone notice how Jaimy is always gone? in every book, there is a short encounter of some sort and then they are torn apart again. I fond that Jaimy really isn't a very strong character. There is almost no character development and he's just plain boring.
Liam was awesome in this book. The growth of
April
May 14, 2013 April rated it really liked it
I am forever and always a fan of Jacky Faber, main character of the Bloody Jack series, so I knew that I had to listen to book three, Under The Jolly Roger: Being An Account Of The Further Nautical Adventures Of Jacky Faber by L.A. Meyer. You see, these books are about a girl who dresses as a boy so that she can be a sailor, and well, in this one that happens to both good and bad ends. Basically, I listened to the next book in the series because I was in desperate need of a guaranteed good liste ...more
Candi
Oct 25, 2012 Candi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: piratical, audio-book
I knew it! I knew she couldn't have been made a midshipman for nothing!

It may be just me and my love of anything piratical, but I feel like the Jacky Faber books are best when she is back at sea and this book did not disappoint. I have not encountered many better books than this.

On a slightly unrelated note, my husband watched the movie "Master and Commander" the other night. Aside from the music, I do not like that movie at all, because there are no women in it. (I am purposefully not counting
Ethan
Jun 27, 2016 Ethan rated it really liked it
Audiobook.

While not as fantastic as the first entry in the series, this comes extremely close, falling just short of the greatness Meyer created. It's a little overlong and too repetitive (two issues that feed each other viciously), but Jacky is still extremely likable (most of the time), there's still a ton of excitement and humor, and the historical details are superb. Getting through book two was a bit of a chore for me but now that Jacky is back at sea it's a much more enjoyable ride.

A note
AH
Once again another great performance by the narrator. This audio book had me laughing, crying, and sitting on the edge of my seat. This series is perfect for middle school ages and older and the narrator does all sorts of voices and song well.

I love Jacky and I can't wait to listen to the next installment.

The books are overly descriptive but it works for the audio books.
KatieSuzanne
Apr 07, 2011 KatieSuzanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
The best book in the series. More grown up than the first one and less perfect as the second and a little bit smarter all around. I could be partial to this one since it took place almost entirely at sea. The title is slightly misleading but who cares this book was awesome.
Alethea A
Apr 19, 2009 Alethea A rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: girl pirates and fine young ladies
I think this is my favorite. I love all of them, but I love Jacky's sailing adventures the most! I'm actually in the middle of re-reading this but jumped over to Mississippi Jack.
Chris
Dec 06, 2011 Chris rated it it was ok
This book just went on and on. And on and on and on. It was definitely not my favorite in the series, and I'm not sure I want to read any more. There were several stories in this book, and I think each of them could have been its own novella and didn't really fit together as one novel.
Kate
Oct 15, 2009 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series just gets better and better. Loved all of the newest additions to the cast of characters. I think this might be my favorite book in the series thus far.
Kevin Beck
Aug 31, 2016 Kevin Beck rated it really liked it
Another grand adventure with Jacky Faber and crew.
Jane
Apr 11, 2009 Jane rated it really liked it
Jacky is sailing bloody close to an annoying Mary Sue-- I must take a break for awhile before returning to the next 3 books.
Amy Bradley
Feb 27, 2017 Amy Bradley rated it really liked it
On arriving in London, Jacky tries to meet with Jaimy, but his mother chases her off. A maid informs her that Jaimy will be at the racetrack the next day, so she dresses as a male jockey. She sees him with a pretty high-born girl, throws her ring at him and runs - only to be caught by a press-gang and shoved onto a British war ship.

On board, she protests that as a female she cannot be pressed into service, but the lecherous captain decides this is just wonderful until an officer tells him he can
Mar 01, 2017 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: pirates, young-adult
I liked this one a lot. Much more pirate-y. I read a review after I finished that this book is kind of like 2-3 small novellas in one and I have to say I agree. There are very distinct parts. But I really liked that Jacky was back on a boat for most of the book. And that some characters from the first one returned.

My biggest issue with the book though? Something that happened near-ish the end. Jaimy does something to Jacky - to something she owns. And he does it clearly on purpose. Maybe it's j
Hannah Thomas
Jan 18, 2017 Hannah Thomas rated it liked it
The excitement of Jacky's adventures did pull me into the story at the beginning, but then, once she went along with her own way of her own ship with a different crew...trying to find a different path (that she thought she hasn't found yet), it began to die down. She did kindle with old flames and a "not so old flame" that brought a light to Jacky's road.

Jacky's charcter still has that uniqueness to her :)
Ema-Lilly Dream
Jan 07, 2017 Ema-Lilly Dream rated it it was amazing
I LOVE these books! I've been listening to them on audiobook and it is magical. I have been forgetting to update them as read, because I just continue on to the next one. Full 6/5 stars!
Josiphine
Dec 30, 2016 Josiphine rated it really liked it
Shelves: jolly-good, pirates
Okay I'm obsessed with this series.
Characters 2 21 Apr 01, 2016 12:22PM
  • Star-Crossed (Patricia MacPherson Nautical Adventures, #1)
  • Piratica: Being a Daring Tale of a Singular Girl's Adventure Upon the High Seas (Piratica, #1)
  • Pirates!
  • The Case of the Bizarre Bouquets (Enola Holmes, #3)
  • The Sphere of Secrets (The Oracle Prophecies, #2)
  • Alchemy and Meggy Swann
  • Cat Among the Pigeons (Cat Royal, #2)
  • Boston Jane: An Adventure (Boston Jane, #1)
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre
  • Montmorency On The Rocks: Doctor, Aristocrat, Murderer? (Montmorency, #2)
  • Deceptive (Illusive, #2)
  • The Body at the Tower (The Agency, #2)
  • The Lioness and Her Knight (The Squire's Tales, #7)
Louis A. Meyer is best known as the author of the Bloody Jack novels. He was also a painter and the author of two children's picture books, and he and his wife owned an art gallery called Clair de Loon in Bar Harbor.

Louis A. Meyer passed away on July 29, 2014 from refractory Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. His final Jacky Faber book, Wild Rover No More, was published posthumously in September that year.
More about L.A. Meyer...

Bloody Jack (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Curse of the Blue Tattoo: Being an Account of the Misadventures of Jacky Faber, Midshipman and Fine Lady (Bloody Jack, #2)
  • In the Belly of the Bloodhound: Being an Account of a Particularly Peculiar Adventure in the Life of Jacky Faber (Bloody Jack, #4)
  • Mississippi Jack: Being an Account of the Further Waterborne Adventures of Jacky Faber, Midshipman, Fine Lady, and Lily of the West (Bloody Jack, #5)
  • My Bonny Light Horseman: Being an Account of the Further Adventures of Jacky Faber, in Love and War (Bloody Jack, #6)
  • Rapture of the Deep: Being an Account of the Further Adventures of Jacky Faber, Soldier, Sailor, Mermaid, Spy (Bloody Jack, #7)
  • The Wake of the Lorelei Lee: Being an Account of the Adventures of Jacky Faber, on her Way to Botany Bay (Bloody Jack, #8)
  • The Mark of the Golden Dragon: Being an Account of the Further Adventures of Jacky Faber, Jewel of the East, Vexation of the West, and Pearl of the South China Sea (Bloody Jack, #9)
  • Viva Jacquelina! Being an Account of the Further Adventures of Jacky Faber, Over the Hills and Far Away (Bloody Jack, #10)
  • Boston Jacky: Being an Account of the Further Adventures of Jacky Faber, Taking Care of Business (Bloody Jack, #11)

“Then it hits me....
And it hits me with the force of a blow. I am maybe fifteen years old. I am a girl. I am also acting lieutenant in the Royal Navy, and, by the Naval Rules and Regulations as regards the chain of command, I am in command of His Majesty's Ship Wolverine.”
69 likes
“We clear the harbor and the wind catches her sails and my beautiful ship leans over ever so gracefully, and her elegant bow cuts cleanly into the increasing chop of the waves. I take a deep breath and my chest expands and my heart starts thumping so strongly I fear the others might see it beat through the cloth of my jacket. I face the wind and my lips peel back from my teeth in a grin of pure joy.” 54 likes