Start by marking “Mares de sangre bajo cielos rojos (Las Crónicas de los Caballeros Bastardos, #2)” as Want to Read:

Mares de sangre bajo cielos rojos (Gentleman Bastard #2)

4.23  ·  Rating Details  ·  62,924 Ratings  ·  3,139 Reviews
Locke Lamora y Jean Tannen han huido de su hogar y del naufragio de sus vidas. Pero no pueden seguir huyendo para siempre y, cuando se detienen, se deciden por el blanco más rico y difícil en el horizonte: la ciudad de Tal Verrar y la Aguja del Pecado, la casa de juego mejor guardada del mundo. Nadie ha robado allí ni siquiera una moneda y vivido para contarlo. Es la clase ...more
Published January 1st 2008 by Alianza Editorial Sa (first published June 20th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Mares de sangre bajo cielos rojos, please sign up.

Amanda The first of the series, to me, is a stand-alone, and the end wraps up fairly well. Book 2 references book one a bit, and ends with something of a…moreThe first of the series, to me, is a stand-alone, and the end wraps up fairly well. Book 2 references book one a bit, and ends with something of a cliffhanger - book 3 references both books heavily.(less)

Patrick
Oct 27, 2013 Patrick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'll be honest, when I first read this book, years ago, my reaction was kinda "meh."

Or rather, I *remember* it being that way. It was a long time back, and I can barely bring to mind what I ate for lunch yesterday. So I'm not terribly reliable that way.

I also vaguely remember that it wasn't as talked-up as Lies of Locke Lamora. There wasn't the same excited buzz about it when it came out, so I remember feeling reasonably justified in my "meh" feeling.

That means reading through it again a seco
Ridley
Dec 03, 2013 Ridley marked it as to-buy-big-publisher  ·  review of another edition
After reading a Tumblr post Where Lynch responded to a reader's complaints about "political correctness" in this novel, I am intrigued.
Why shouldn’t middle-aged mothers get a wish-fulfillment character, you sad little bigot? Everyone else does. H.L. Mencken once wrote that “Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” I can’t think of anyone to whom that applies more than my own mom, and the mothers on my friends list, with th
Kelly

Although I was prepared to bite my thumb at anyone who had a problem with this book up to about 200 pages in, over the course of the 500 pages after that, I began to slowly, reluctantly and finally in complete exasperation, change my mind.

Scott Lynch begins his novel at the same level of quality as his fabulous first novel, The Lies of Locke Lamora. His characters are dealing with the events of the previous novel, in a mostly believable fashion, in a believable time period- its kept from becomin
Bookworm Sean
Feb 22, 2016 Bookworm Sean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Joe Abercrombie fans
Shelves: fantasy, 4-star-reads
Frodo Baggins and Samwise Gamgee, Jon Snow and Samwell Tarly, FitzChivalry Farseer and The Fool, Locke Lamora and Jean Tammen: eight men of fantasy who without their counterpart would be nothing. Indeed, without Jean at his back Locke Lamora would have no chance of success. Both men provide the other with what he lacks, and together that make a deadly, silver tongued, thieving duo that are best summed up with one word: awesome.

Another deadly scheme

It was a big surprise, to me, that in the pro
Will M.
I'm probably going to receive a lot of hate for this rating, but I'm just being honest here. I'm bold enough to give this a 3, because that's the highest it can go. The novel is not bad, but it's also not phenomenal.

Am I the only one reminded of Pirates of the Caribbean while reading this? Pirates aside, it had the same vibe to it. I really liked Pirates, but just like Red Seas, both had a lot of dull moments.

Red Seas would've received at least a 4 from me, if it was consistent with its amazing
Molly
Rating? 4 cats ready to sail ,

...almost five, but because of a few things
description

Locke Lamora and Jean Tannen, are back in business .... there's not greater fun for them then to unburden rich people of their heavy purses. Bigger the challenge, greater the fun, as always with the Gentlemen Bastards . Their next target, the famous Tal Verrar gambling house, The Sinspire.

description

After two years of careful planning and preparing the field, it's almost time to reap the benefits. Everything is going smoothly when (
Hanne
Sep 29, 2013 Hanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I realize I’m being wayward again: most people seemed to be über-enthusiast about book one, and they tend to like book two a bit less. Not me: I really enjoyed book two, much more than the first.

The main driver behind this difference, is that everything I didn’t like about book one is gone here: there’s no smooth sailing, there aren’t a bizillion tricks hiding in Locke’s sleeve, and the whole “Look how clever I am”-feel of the book is gone. This cat might still have seven lives; he isn’t always
Josh
Dec 28, 2013 Josh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is a surprisingly worthy followup, albeit a tad frustrating, at least at first. After reading all of the negative or mediaocre reviews, I was expecting to find a lesser book than Lies. I didn't find that at all. The quality of writing, the sympathetic characters, the sharp and funny dialogue, the action: it's all here. I think the reason people are turned off by it is because it's a very different book than the first one.

Red Seas wastes no time as it starts off. We begin with Locke and Jea
Apatt
May 11, 2015 Apatt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, fantasy
I read the blockbusting The Lies of Locke Lamora in July 2014 and I just read this second volume of the Gentleman Bastard series today May 9, 2015, almost a year apart. I tend to do that with second volumes in most series I read for some reason. (I am only sharing this mind numbingly uninteresting fact with you because I have no idea what to write for the opening paragraph of this review!)

Red Seas Under Red Skies is a worthy follow up to The Lies of Locke Lamora which made Scott Lynch one of t
Ben Babcock
Second Review (Read on March 4, 2015)

So Locke Lamora won the day at the end of his first book, but at a terrible price. He and Jean are the last surviving Gentlemen Bastards (unless you count the estranged Sabetha, whose existence Scott Lynch dangles beneath our noses with all the glee of a writer of a trilogy). With nothing left for them in Camorr, they wind up in Tal Verarr, pulling a heist against Requin of the Sinspire, the best and most cheat-proof casino there is. But the Archon of Tal Ver
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE)
Because I want to meet Zamira Drakasha.

Oh, and because of this :

As for claims to “realism,” your complaint is of a kind with those from bigoted hand-wringers who whine that women can’t possibly fly combat aircraft, command naval vessels, serve in infantry actions, work as firefighters, police officers, etc. despite the fact that they do all of those things— and are, for a certainty, doing them all somewhere at this very minute. Tell me that a fit fortyish woman with 25+ years of experience at s
TS Chan
Jan 05, 2016 TS Chan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thieves prosper, the rich remember.

It's been well over half a year since I was acquainted with the Gentlemen Bastards, and The Lies of Locke Lamora made it into my favourites shelf with the ease of Locke's glib tongue charming his way out of trouble. While Red Seas under Red Skies didn't make it as a favourite, it was still highly entertaining and deserved a 4.5-star rating, rounded up.

Scott Lynch is pretty good at keeping the readers dangling as they wonder "what will Locke do next?" or "how i
Mpauli

Arrrr, matey! Surrender all ye plunder fer them pirates!

What did you say? The beard looks fake? Proposterous! I'll stick ye filthy landrubber with me poking sabre!
No, it's not a foam sword! Yeah, okay if you grab it like that and hey...that's my hook. And my elaborate way of speaking? Yeah, damn, should be "Drink like a pirate day". I would be way better at it.
Oh no, you think I'm the guy who tricked you into liking my...eh...his review of the Lies of Locke Lamorra. No, of course not. This guy d
Stephen
6.0 stars. On my list of "All Time Favorite" Novels. This has quickly become one of the best fantasy series I have ever read (certainly in the top 5). The title characters are superbly drawn, the world-building is second to none and the plot is tightly drawn (even at 750+ pages). Can not wait for the next in the series. HIGHEST POSSIBLE RECOMMENDATION.

Nominee: John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer (2008)
SFSite Readers Poll Top 10 (2008)
Sanaa
[5 Stars] This was so fantastic. Locke and Jean are two of my all time favorite characters, and I can't wait to see what they are up to next! Also, this is my favorite out of the series so far. The bromance is real, and I'm actually in love with Jean.
Connor
Jan 21, 2016 Connor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: high-fantasy
Fantastic!! I think I enjoyed the first books a tad more, and there are parts where it can be slow. But it was very, very good. Bring on more Locke and Jean!
colleen the fabulous fabulaphile
2.5

I read this for a group I'm in, and I wrote a big long post about it, so now I'm sort of talked out. Maybe I'll do a proper review in the future. For now...

There's a lot of set-up and info-dumping. The pacing is terrible - for hundreds of pages things are drawn out in labored detail, and then the ending is all rush, rush, and things that could've and should've been drawn out more weren't. Some things were wrapped up nicely, some were sort of a kick in the teeth.

I never really felt overly inve
Eh?Eh!
Oct 10, 2011 Eh?Eh! rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: babble-added
Still fun, but these poor thieves can't catch a break and keep getting screwed. I've read that the author is suffering from some debilitating depression such that the 3rd book is now 2 years late and counting. It reminds me a little of Barbara Hambly, who had a fantasy series that took a huge nosedive into the horrific when life started giving her a beating. I wonder if Scott Lynch's distress began coming out in his characters with this book?

This one starts out more like Ocean's Eleven with a ca
Orient
Apr 06, 2016 Orient rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: action lovers
Recommended to Orient by: Milda Page Runner
Red Seas Under Red Skies, Book 2, about my favourite thief, Locke Lamore <3 is packed with action and as in the first book, I could expect the unexpected. And of course I got it. Mr. Lynch used the same method - flashbacks to the main moments from the past, to present the story. As I encountered such style in the first book, it wasn't such a big problem reading the second as it was with the first book. And of course I got some breadcrumbs about Sabetha. I'll meet her in the third book at last ...more
helen the bookowl
May 23, 2015 helen the bookowl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a good sequel that was very much in line with the sass and inspiring scenes of the first book. I loved how this book put a smile back on my face because I was back with Locke and Jean and their amazing personalities - and this book even has pirates!
I must admit I was a bit sceptical about the whole pirate aspect of it because I'm not much of a pirate lover. But the pirates in this book were amazing because they were funny, endearing and absolutely amazing. I understood what was going on on
Richard
Dec 04, 2015 Richard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
9/10

This was a great follow up to the first book in the series, which was mightily impressive, and stands on its own two legs and deserves to be reviewed without living in the shadow of the stellar "Lies of Locke Lamora". It's hard though, that was a shit hot read and one of my favourites of 2013. It's also the main reason for me not picking this book up until 2 years later. Some of the reviews of this one were nowhere near as favourable as "Lies" and I didn't want to tarnish my memory of the fi
Chris
Nov 23, 2015 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, seldom has a book made me waver so much on how I felt about it. High hopes and an exquisite prologue had me psyched for a hell of a good time. I loved The Lies of Locke Lamora, and at first taste, the sequel seemed that it would be just as much a favorite.

But then it bogged down. No big deal. Some books do that, especially when they have so many layers of plot and counter-plot twists. There did seem to be a large number of info-dump sections, that got tedious. But I trusted these to work t
Carol.
Aug 13, 2011 Carol. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of rogues
Four stars, with reservations

A bit of a slog in the beginning--guess I haven't been in the mood for the great con. Locke Lamora is still at the heart of the narrative, and I don't think he could get from bed to breakfast without hatching or implementing a Rube Goldberg of a plot. It remains a sort of "Oceans Eleven" caper at the beginning, with multiple steps and a long, convoluted plan of attack on the owner of an elaborate and elite gambling facility. However, in true Oceans fashion, even as t
Rob
Executive Summary: This book is uneven, and I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as The Lies of Locke Lamora, but the second half more than makes up for the first to make this an enjoyable read.

Full Review
This book is very uneven. The beginning was painfully slow. It seemed like little happened and Mr. Lynch was determined to describe everything in minute details.

A lot of what did happen seemed like a rehash of the first book in a new city and not nearly as fun.

Locke and Jean are dealing with the
David Sven
May 31, 2013 David Sven rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, audiobooks
Absolutely loved it! Michael Page was again just awesome as the audio narrator with his range of accents and rich vocal tones.

I think what a lot of people may appreciate about these first two books, seeing that they are the only two to date finished in a seven book series, is that this book and the last are self contained stand alone stories. Even though this book is a continuation of the last and the events of book one do come back to haunt our two Gentleman Bastards, this is a completely new s
Manju
Dec 11, 2014 Manju rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-star, 2014
So Locke and Jean are in a new city with a new plan to rob a powerful man but this time the things were not as easier as in the first book was. They became pawns in another man’s game and had no choice but to follow his orders. Soon they found themselves on sea to make their master’s (for the time being) plan a success.

There was not much of the world building in this book as half of the time Locke and Jean were on the ship learning the ways about how to survive there. though the life on sea and
Karina E
Jun 15, 2015 Karina E rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
3-3.5 Stars. I wanted to love it so badly but some passages weren't as intriguing as others and the story wasn't as satisfying as book one, especially towards the end. There were many great passages and especially the first third of the book reminded me of my love for The Lies of Locke Lamora. So even though I'm "only" giving it 3.5 stars, I'm still a fan of the series and can't wait to read the next book!!
Esma Tezgi
Feb 08, 2016 Esma Tezgi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
İlk bölümler soygunu ve nasıl olacağını anlamaya çalışırken işin içine başka kişilerin ve olayların girmesiyle her şey karmaşıklaşıp büyüdü. Çok iyi gitti o zamana kadar sonra ise kitabın adını aldığı deniz yolculuğu başladı. Açıkçası o bölümleri çok çok sevmedim, bu hoşlanmadım demek değil sadece Centilmen Piç serisinin genel halinden biraz farklı ve yavaştı, denizcilik terimleri de çok fazla olunca bozuldum açıkçası biraz. o bölümler kötü müydü derseniz kesinlikle değildi bir çok olay yaşandı, ...more
J.P.
Apr 18, 2012 J.P. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Keep an eye on your valuables for here is the return of liar, thief and bullshit artist extraordinaire Locke Lamora. I have to say I really enjoyed this, but a bit less than the first book. Partially due I'm sure to the bar being set so high to begin with. In The Lies of Locke Lamora, Locke gets himself into and out of a series of jams. In this book he works on one main scheme for the most part, so there's a shade less action as there are fewer dilemmas to get out of. Also at least in the beginn ...more
Penny
Oct 21, 2012 Penny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful characters with brilliant wit (and a good dose of crazy) scheme to rob the unrobbable and generally outsmart everyone everywhere. I laughed, I cried and I prayed to the Crooked Warden to protect my beloved Gentlemen Bastards.

The last few pages left me a tad dissatisfied but overall I loved it! The various cities were a bit over-described (as in the first instalment) and some parts took a bit longer than necessary, but these are both minor complaints that didn't even dent the bubble of
  • Before They Are Hanged (The First Law, #2)
  • Heir of Novron (The Riyria Revelations, #3)
  • A Betrayal in Winter (Long Price Quartet, #2)
  • Sworn in Steel (Tales of the Kin, #2)
  • The Virtu (Doctrine of Labyrinths, #2)
  • The Thousandfold Thought (The Prince of Nothing, #3)
  • The Fell Sword (The Traitor Son Cycle, #2)
  • The Girl of Hrusch Avenue (Powder Mage, #0.5)
  • The Bonehunters (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #6)
  • Caine Black Knife (The Acts of Caine, #3)
I was born in St. Paul, Minnesota on April 2, 1978, the first of three brothers. I've lived in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area my entire life; currently, just across the border in Wisconsin, about half an hour east of the Twin Cities.

The Lies of Locke Lamora, my first novel, was bought by Simon Spanton at Orion Books in August, 2004. Prior to that I had just about every job you usually see in this s
More about Scott Lynch...

Gentleman Bastard (7 books)
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
  • The Republic of Thieves (Gentleman Bastard, #3)
  • The Thorn of Emberlain (Gentleman Bastard, #4)
  • The Ministry of Necessity (Gentleman Bastard, #5)
  • The Mage and the Master Spy (Gentleman Bastard, #6)
  • Inherit the Night (Gentleman Bastard, #7)

“That's a sweet piece," said Jean, briefly forgetting to be aggravated. "You didn't snatch that off a street."

"No," said Locke, before taking another deep draught of the warm water in the decanter. "I got it from the neck of the governor's mistress."

"You can't be serious."

"In the governor's manor."

"Of all the -"

"In the governor's bed."

"Damned lunatic!"

"With the governor sleeping next to her."

The night quiet was broken by the high, distant trill of a whistle, the traditional swarming noise of city watches everywhere. Several other whistles joined in a few moments later.

"It is possible," said Locke with a sheepish grin, "that I have been slightly too bold.”
188 likes
“Difficult" and "impossible" are cousins often mistaken for one another, with very little in common.” 185 likes