Start by marking “Kaya's Escape: A Survival Story” as Want to Read:
Kaya's Escape: A Survival Story

Kaya's Escape: A Survival Story (American Girls: Kaya #2)

3.92  ·  Rating Details ·  1,135 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
Kaya awakens to the fierce barking of the village dogs. Enemy raiders are in her camp! As Kaya and her blind sister, Speaking Rain, make their way toward the safety of the woods, Kaya hears whinnies of panic. Where is Steps High? Are the raiders trying to steal Kaya's horse? Kaya hesitates just at the moment the raiders leap onto the stolen horses and start a stampee strai ...more
Published September 1st 2002 by American Girl Publishing Inc (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Kaya's Escape, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kaya's Escape

Christina
Feb 08, 2013 Christina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this better than the first one. It seemed to have a better story arc and more action, and so Isobel followed it better than Meet Kaya. Plus I just love that this story (and many of the American Girl books) stress that it's important to be smart, capable, and kind. And think about others more than yourself. The messages may not be subtle, but they are good, sturdy life lessons for girls.
Naomi
May 26, 2015 Naomi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is very good but is a horrible cliff hanger. Once she finds her father it ends as they are riding back up the Buffalo Trail. So until you read the next book you don't know if Kaya gets her adoptive sister back or Steps high, her hoarse. It doesn't even tell you if they get Two Hawks to safety. BTW Two Hawks was the boy she escaped with.
Jessa
Feb 19, 2014 Jessa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Ok, this is actually a pretty great adventure story, and I like the new characters but come on, Kaya. Really?! How are you SO BAD at following instructions and keeping your sister safe? And Speaking Rain, it's about time you find someone new to buddy along with, for your own sake.
Jane Fujiwara
Jan 07, 2017 Jane Fujiwara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kaya is bad ass! She might be my new favorite American Girl. Looking forward to sharing this real American history with my daughters.
E
Sep 22, 2016 E rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Considerably more interest, action, and zest than book one, although the ending came extremely abruptly.
Sensitive children may be upset by scenes of animal suffering.
Rita Webb
May 08, 2009 Rita Webb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the middle of the night, the camp is attacked while many of the warriors are away on a hunting trip. Kaya's grandmother tells Kaya to take Speaking Rain (Kaya's blind sister) to hide in the forest, but instead, Kaya turns back to save her horse, getting both her and Speaking Rain taken for slaves.

In Bear Country, Kaya and Speaking Rain live among another tribe of Indians as slaves. Speaking Rain insists that Kaya must escape and leave her behind, for she would only slow them down. Kaya must g
Sarah Crawford
Feb 16, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this story it starts out peacefully enough, but before long Kaya and Speaking Rain are captured by another tribe and taken on a long journey to their camp. Kaya's horse is also taken. The girls will become slaves of their new masters.

Kaya meets another young boy who is also from a different tribe and was captured. Together they manage to escape but run into terrible weather, a cougar, freezing temperatures and injuries. Kaya wants to return to her own people so she can somehow return to the
Valerie
Jul 12, 2013 Valerie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kaya's village is raided by another native American tribe while the men of her tribe are away. Her grandma asks her to take her blind "sister," Speaking Rain and head to the woods to hide, but Kaya's scared that the men are going to take her horse. Not only is Steps High taken, but so are Kaya and Speaking Rain.

They end up in another tribe as slaves. They meet a young boy named Two Hawks, and together, they form a plan to escape. Speaking Rain tells Kaya to leave without her, because she'll slo
Melissa
Kaya is on yet another adventure, because she didn't follow directions and put herself first. Only this time it is much, much worse. She has gotten herself and Speaking Rain captured by enemies raiding their camp. Now Kaya must find a way to escape so she doesn't have to be a slave forever. I think this was definitely more suspenseful than the first one and will keep kids wondering what will happen next. Kaya's Escape also introduces some new characters and seemed to be written in a faster pace ...more
Miri
Aug 10, 2014 Miri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When an enemy tribe invades in the middle of the night, Kaya is ordered to lead her blind sister Speaking Rain into the woods where they will be safe, but Kaya is worried about her horse Steps High and her actions get herself and Speaking Rain captured.

Speaking Rain and Kaya are taken into enemy country and enslaved, Kaya befriends an enslaved Salish boy called Two Hawks and they make a plan to escape together, but Kaya must make a terrible decision, they can not hope to escape with Speaking Rai
Bree
Sep 07, 2016 Bree rated it liked it
Shelves: historical, children
This review is from the perspective of a mother - Kaya's second book is overflowing of descriptions of the life of a captured Nez Perce girl among a rival tribe and survivalist techniques.

Kaya continues to be impetuous and focused more on animals than people. This puts her and her adopted sister in danger. The second half of the story is focused on Kaya's escape, with a decent amount of survival strategy, and an interesting look at the gender divide in her era.

Parts seem unrealistic for a 9 yea
Felicity The Magnificent
In this book, strangers came in to Kaya's camp, and they took the Nez Perce Indians' horses. They took Kaya and her blind sister Speaking Rain, too. Kaya found a way to go back, but Speaking Rain said she would find a way to go back by herself. She said it would be OK for Kaya to find a way back by herself. When they were brough to their stop, Kaya met another boy who was a slave, too, and his name was Two Hawks. Kaya and Two Hawks found a way to escape and go back, but Two Hawks forgot where hi ...more
Kate Matson
Oh my! This book was amazing! I found it so good I literally didn't put it down. I just read and read and read.... The sacrifice Kaya made, it was just soooooo good. This series is a must read! One thing I also like about these books, is that they are fast reads. They also make them to where you never want to put it down. I think American Girl books are always extremely well written. I have never come across one that wasn't 5 stars.
Marya
Feb 09, 2015 Marya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-series
Yes, Kaya acts stupidly in this book, but that's part of the plot point and (I hope) character development. Compared to the relatively tameness of the Felicity stories we had been reading, having Kaya kidnapped certainly upped the ante in this volume. Yay! Child slavery drama! At least my little one found this more adventurous than unsettling.
Caroline
Dec 24, 2008 Caroline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
She read two pages all by herself yesterday. She's really improving. And she found the American Girl web site ...

We finished this book. It was very exciting. Iris really got into the story and always wanted to read it. Kaya was creative and learned to think of others before herself in order to survive.
Arwen
Jun 04, 2016 Arwen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My second favorite Ameican Girl is Kaya. She the only Native American, American girl. Sacagawea was one of my childhood heros, and I see a little bit of that in the Kaya books. Kaya is independent, smart and a survivor. When she gets taken captive by another tribe she never gives up, and eventually finds a way to escape, then has to brave winter in the wild while searching for her tribe.
Kristine Hansen
This story I liked better - much more action. Heavy consequences for disobeying, a good measure of courage and common sense. Overall, I'm liking Kaya a bit better in this one though I'm still wishing she'd quit obsessing over her horse. To me it feels like that horse is equally important to her as her sister. If not more so.
Esther May
May 03, 2013 Esther May rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was really tender at the end. It is interesting to read these books with my daughter. I like to see how girls in other periods of time lived, learned and dealt with growing up. I enjoyed this book, but it is super sad.
Denise
Jan 16, 2013 Denise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kaya is kidnapped in a raid. Nice idea to make her a fallible but brave character. I did not like the portrayal of her all-good tribe and the all-bad tribe that takes her and others as slaves. Not so clear in reality.
Carol Waters
Meh. The kid can't behave and then runs into sexist behavior. Can't tell if the child has failed at being a tribal member in a civilization where the welfare of the group depends on the compliance of the individual. Loose writing.
Cathy Cramer
I read this after my 6th grader, who doesn't want to read the rest of the series since her favorite character, Speaking Rain, was left behind.

I thought the story was well done.
Sara
Nov 30, 2013 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

For what it is, I really did like it! A great story for young girls and being more responsible and owning up to your actions and choices.
Dec 14, 2009 Jennifer added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes American Girls.
Recommended to Jennifer by: My mom
I learned that you should always do what you are supposed to, even if you have to give up something very dear to you.
Georgia
Jan 11, 2011 Georgia rated it did not like it
i liked how kaya showed her suvival skills. .i did not like how the book ended without telling some details.
Sarah Owen
May 30, 2012 Sarah Owen rated it really liked it

My daughter, 6, loves the Kaya stories. This one in particular was intense and exciting. She can't wait to read the 3rd one.
Celeste
Jul 21, 2011 Celeste rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
For myself I give this book a 2 star. It was too unrealistic; however, Belle loved it and I would get more of these American Girl doll books for her to read.
Kiana
Sep 07, 2011 Kiana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was spectacular and creative.Most books are not from that persons perspective that that person is talking about.THIS BOOK IS.IF I WERE KAYA I WOULD BE LIKE HER FROM THE BOOK.
May 31, 2013 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was ok I liked it but there wasnt enough
action for me.So I would give this book a 3
Katelyn
Oct 04, 2011 Katelyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
it was kind of scary how she got captured and escaped by sneeking out and it's sad how she had to leave Speaking Rain behind but other than that I loved it so much I would read it twice.
Kelsey
Oct 09, 2014 Kelsey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think the thing that I liked best about the American Girl Dolls was that they came with their own stories. I started by getting the books, and then later my parents bought me the dolls.
  • Josefina Saves the Day: A Summer Story (American Girls: Josefina, #5)
  • Happy New Year, Julie (American Girls: Julie, #3)
  • Changes for Addy: A Winter Story (American Girls: Addy, #6)
  • Candlelight for Rebecca (American Girls: Rebecca, #3)

American Girls: Kaya (6 books)
  • Meet Kaya (American Girls: Kaya, #1)
  • Kaya's Hero: A Story of Giving (American Girls: Kaya, #3)
  • Kaya and Lone Dog: A Friendship Story (American Girls: Kaya, #4)
  • Kaya Shows the Way: A Sister Story (American Girls: Kaya, #5)
  • Changes for Kaya: A Story of Courage (American Girls: Kaya, #6)