Start by marking “Hurry Up And Meditate: Your Starter Kit For Inner Peace And Better Health” as Want to Read:
Hurry Up And Meditate: Your Starter Kit For Inner Peace And Better Health

Hurry Up And Meditate: Your Starter Kit For Inner Peace And Better Health

If meditation were available in capsule form, it would be the biggest selling drug of all time. It has been scientifically proven to deliver highly effective stress relief, boost our immune systems, and dramatically slow the aging process. It has also been shown to make us much happier and more effective thinkers. Given all the physical and psychological benefits, why aren ...more
Published August 27th 2008 by Snow Lion (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Hurry Up And Meditate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hurry Up And Meditate

Jenny (Reading Envy)
This book tells of the benefits of meditation, and then repeats it. Then it refers back to other chapters and sections after they have already passed. I don't think most people who pick up a book on meditation are looking to be convinced as to why they should try it, but maybe I'm wrong. Quick run down - it is good for your health. There you go. And again, meditation has been PROVEN to be good for your health.

There are brief instructions on how to start meditating, with nods to various religiou
Elevate Difference
Jan 10, 2009 Elevate Difference rated it liked it
For a skeptic like myself, a book called Hurry Up and Meditate isn't usually my first choice on a bookshelf. David Michie is better known for his previous work, Buddhism for Busy People, which is exactly what it sounds like. Michie comes from the business world, and this is evident in his writing. Not wasting time with frilly accounts of new age-y mumbo jumbo, he presents meditation as a very practical activity with countless benefits. Acknowledging that many people are often leery when confront ...more
Mark Robison
Jul 29, 2016 Mark Robison rated it really liked it
I found this book especially invaluable for one aspect: It hammers on good scientific research showing the benefits of meditation for better brain and body health. He makes a strong case that doing it every day is every bit as important as eating and sleeping well and getting enough exercise. I read a lot of meditation books and the writing in this one and the perspective is very much for beginners and not very inspirational. (The author is Aussie.) But it’s the book that got me on the cushion a ...more
Chris Walker
Sep 12, 2013 Chris Walker rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. It is written from a personal angle, it concentrates on the mental and physical health benefits of the practice and it is quite matter of fact about how to begin and what to expect day to day. Best of all there is no hocus pocus or new age flakiness to get through (although for those seeking a religious basis for meditating there is a range of cross-cultural options and advice presented later in the book). It includes some excellent quotes from known practitioners and p ...more
Melissa
Jan 13, 2012 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, nonfiction
This was the first real book I read about meditation and subtle intro into Buddhism. It really helped me learn better ways to deal with the grief of my father's passing as well as with just typical emotional struggles. The author relates to the reader with his own personal experiences in learning about meditation and then offers several different methods to start from. Highly recommended for anyone who needs some calm in their life. :)
Monk
Jun 23, 2013 Monk rated it really liked it
Without a doubt the best handbook for both the whys and hows of meditation. This will give you a clear summary of the physical and mental benefits, followed by a solid description of various meditation techniques and how to apply them. As much as I love Thich Nhat Hahn's books, if a person is interested in meditation, I would start here.

That said, this was an audiobook, with an Australian reader. Hard to focus when you keep expecting him to say, "You call that a knife? THIS is a knife!"
Saji Maruthurkkara
Sep 05, 2013 Saji Maruthurkkara rated it it was amazing
All you wanted to know about meditation. Firstly, the book explains the health benefits of meditation including scientific studies (which helps skeptics like me). Secondly, it goes through the different types of meditation practices and gives a beginners guide to it. Finally, it answers some frequently asked questions.

Good book if you are interested in meditation.
Sherry
Aug 04, 2013 Sherry rated it really liked it
Didn't quite finish this before I had to return it to the library but this was a fabulous quick and dirty introduction to meditation and mindfulness for "the busy person," which we all are. If you're interested in the subject but don't know where to start, this is where to start.
Rachel
May 13, 2015 Rachel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Wish they would have hurried up and told me how to meditate. Too much time spent getting to what I considered the purpose of the book. Couldn't finish.
'ö-dzin Tridral
Oct 04, 2012 'ö-dzin Tridral rated it really liked it
Hurry Up and Meditate
David Michie
Snow Lion publications, 2008
ISBN 978-55939-306=5

This is a helpful book for anyone interested in the why and how of meditation. If you want to know why you should meditate then begin your journey at chapter one. If you want to know how to meditate then dive in at chapter four.

David Michie writes in an easy conversational style. In the first three chapters he introduces the topic of meditation and the research that has taken place into its physical and psychologica
Nastaran Ayoubi
Nov 19, 2014 Nastaran Ayoubi rated it liked it
I liked the book though I just read chapter 4, 5 and 6 and skimmed the rest of the book. These 3 chapters give you practical techniques and instructions you can use to start meditating and also tell you how you can meditate during your every day life. I found it interesting that you can meditate while you are walking or concentrating on a subject or just staring at a red light!

I specially liked the idea of applying mindfulness to the routine activities and consciously enjoying what we are doing
Amanda
May 26, 2008 Amanda rated it really liked it
a very simple book about meditation, simple words, you can read it during 5 min breaks, while you're on a train..it's very informative though, he explains benefits of meditation, research behind it, and his own experience. also, he explains many types of meditations, how to start meditate in a very easy ways. this book doesnt touch on spiritual things, or religious thing. so if you look for spiritual philosophy of meditation,this book is not for you. but, if you're a busy, stress person, want to ...more
DROPPING OUT
May 30, 2013 DROPPING OUT rated it really liked it
A very good, all-around introduction to meditation that lays it all out for the non-practitioner. That Snow Lion, a top-shelf publisher of materials relating to Tibetan Buddhism (especially primary texts in translation) indicated to me that while Michie's approach is low-brow and popular, it is solid.
Jim George
Jul 22, 2011 Jim George rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
This is my 1st book on meditation, I found the author's style to be informative, and simplistically inviting. Just a nice broad overview, with lots of helpful advice to get you started, there isn't anything presented in an unobtainable fashion - it really gives you a Hey I Can Do This! - kind of a feeling. I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a base explanation and outline.
Polka-dot-pin-up
Jan 14, 2011 Polka-dot-pin-up rated it it was amazing
A book my psychologist suggest I try when I decided to give meditation a go to help me with my anxiety. This book goes through why we should all meditate and more importantly while it does take a long time to master it does not take a lot of time out of your day too.
Sanstress
Jun 20, 2013 Sanstress rated it really liked it
Very quick and easy read. Ideal for someone wanting to get started with meditation. I didn't find it overwhelming with profound insight, but it had the basics. Which is what it claimed. I found what I needed and was looking for, it was true to its description.
Michele Harrod
Sep 12, 2009 Michele Harrod rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Practical and informative. Am pleased to say I have read it, and hurried up and started, and I can feel the benefits already. Now it is about keeping up the new habit now that the holiday is over.
Emily
Jan 08, 2015 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fairly short, clear overview of the benefits of meditation and many common ways to meditate. Nothing mystical or new-agey here, just a clear, fairly concise summary of why to do it followed by how to do it. Interesting listen.
Muskan Taurani
Apr 01, 2015 Muskan Taurani rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Was a bit of a let down to begin with but as I progressed and the simplicity of the book and the message became clearer and clearer. It's well explained. Easy to read and follow leaving a positive attitude at the end of it all.
Marsi
Mar 03, 2015 Marsi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jednoduchá příručka pro meditační začátečníky i prokročilé. Kniha je zaměřená spíše na materialisty, kteří s esoterikou a duchovními věcmi nemají/nechtějí mít, co dočinění, a nabízí meditace jako skvělou léčebnou techniku. (Což bezpochyby je také.) Skvělý motivátor, proč začít a nepřestat! :)
Priscilla Brice
Aug 16, 2013 Priscilla Brice rated it it was amazing
Great book! Should be subtitled "everything you ever wanted to know about meditation but were afraid to ask". It gives you the impression that it's doable for everyone - both religious and atheist. Now I'm going to give it a go!
Kresimir Mudrovcic
Feb 08, 2016 Kresimir Mudrovcic rated it liked it
Nice intro book about meditation, its benefits, types, tips. Somehow it felt that it was too long considering the content, also I kinda expected a bit more facts about benefits. Otherwise, good newbie book if you are interested in meditation.
Emil Rezanina
Jul 05, 2016 Emil Rezanina rated it liked it
Autor popisuje prinosy a zakladni techniky meditace. Nektere veci mi zbytecne prisli moc rozebirany. Jinak knihu jako zaklad pro neznalce meditace, bych doporucil.
Alana Lawson
Jan 30, 2017 Alana Lawson rated it liked it
Best read with companion cd. Easy to read and understand.
Sampatkar
Jun 28, 2011 Sampatkar rated it liked it
Got me going. Have to reread
Niamh
Jul 01, 2012 Niamh rated it really liked it
I love this book because it highlights the benefits to meditation such as helping with stress, aging, blood pressure in a light hearted easy to read
Faith Anderson
Jul 09, 2013 Faith Anderson rated it liked it
I'm trying to start meditating and this was a quick little book with some good pointers for beginners
Jayne Lamb
Jul 27, 2011 Jayne Lamb rated it it was ok
Forget it. I'm never going to have the temperament of someone who can meditate. I'm sure he's a good writer and all, but just...sit still? Think of nothing? It's not for me.
Loscrittorucolo
Mar 17, 2014 Loscrittorucolo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interessante e ben scritto, per chi ha interesse dell'argomento ovviamente. Una buona guida per iniziare ad accostarsi, che non toglie l'esigenza di un maestro in carne e ossa.
Tracey
May 12, 2015 Tracey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Always enjoy David Michie's writing. The book is good but it is more for someone not familiar with meditation.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Life Visioning: A Four-Stage Evolutionary Journey to Live as Divine Love
  • There is More to the Secret: An Examination of Rhonda Byrne's Bestselling Book 'The Secret'
  • Entering the Castle: An Inner Path to God and Your Soul
  • Explain Pain
  • Mastering Your Hidden Self: A Guide to the Huna Way
  • Stirring It Up: How to Make Money and Save the World
  • IOU Sex
  • Healing Sands (Sullivan Crisp, #3)
  • Teachings on Love
  • The Art of Presence
  • She Did A Bad, Bad Thing (Million Dollar Secrets, #1)
David Michie is the internationally best-selling author of a number of books about mindfulness, meditation and Buddhism. These include the non-fiction titles ‘Why Mindfulness is Better than Chocolate’, ‘Hurry Up and Meditate’ and ‘Buddhism for Busy People’, as well as his popular novel series ‘The Dalai Lama’s Cat’. His books are available in 25 languages in over 30 different countries.

David is a
More about David Michie...

“Mindfulness means paying attention in a particular way: on purpose, in the present moment, and non-judgmentally. This kind of attention nurtures greater awareness, clarity, and acceptance of present-moment reality. It wakes us up to the fact that our lives unfold only in moments. If we are not fully present for many of those moments, we may not only miss what is most valuable in our lives but also fail to realize the richness and the depth of our possibilities for growth and transformation.” 2 likes
“If pleasure is a circumstantial enjoyment, happiness refers to a deeper sense of fulfilment not dependent on circumstance, and which is usually accompanied by qualities such as peacefulness, purposefulness and benevolence. Unlike pleasure, which requires situations to be constantly renewed or upgraded, happiness is a state of mind that grows the more we experience it.” 1 likes